2023 Recruiting: - Jaylin Stewart to visit in September | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2023 Recruiting: Jaylin Stewart to visit in September

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I guess we just completely disagree on what a suboptimal class is, taking a ton of freshman is that for me.
yes we need 1 more because for the 7th best college bball program of all time a suboptimal class is probably one with fewer than 2 consensus top 100 freshmen. the transfers arent part of the '23 recruiting class since they have different graduation years.

Reaction Score
for the 7th best college bball program of all time a suboptimal class is probably one with fewer than 2 consensus top 100 freshmen
Luckily that's not UConn's class then

Reaction Score
Yea his comments on the instagram post definitely don’t make ya feel quite as good about his chances of signing with the good guys.
Which IG post? Don’t see anything on his. Would feel a little better if I saw an actual visit date and not just a month.

Reaction Score
ball is 117 in the composite
Yes, because when a site like ESPN hasn't updated their rankings the composite gets skewed. I know you've followed recruiting long enough to know how 247's composite rankings work. You've made it clear you're not going to discuss this in good faith with that comment so we're done here

Reaction Score
Yes, because when a site like ESPN hasn't updated their rankings the composite gets skewed. I know you've followed recruiting long enough to know how 247's composite rankings work. You've made it clear you're not going to discuss this in good faith with that comment so we're done here
i thought ball dropped out after the rankings were updated because he used to be in the composite top 100

Reaction Score
i thought ball dropped out after the rankings were updated because he used to be in the composite top 100
I could be wrong but I don't believe so. ESPN usually updates in May and August and has said an update is coming to their top 100 this month, and I think that's the only site he's not ranked on. He's 46 on Rivals, 84 on 247, 81 on On3. Maybe I missed an ESPN update though

Reaction Score
Do you think a recruiting class with Castle, Ball and some developmental players we hope pan out down the road is an optimal recruiting class for '23? Let's figure out if everyone is operating in good faith.

Reaction Score
Do you think a recruiting class with Castle, Ball and some developmental players we hope pan out down the road is an optimal recruiting class for '23? Let's figure out if everyone is operating in good faith.
No I've been pretty clear that I would like us to go after Jaylin Stewart and then add 3-4 transfers. That's what I'd consider an optimal recruiting class, a few elite freshman and then fill out the roster with transfers

Reaction Score
No I've been pretty clear that I would like us to go after Jaylin Stewart and then add 3-4 transfers. That's what I'd consider an optimal recruiting class, a few elite freshman and then fill out the roster with transfers
then we’re all on the same page but for some reason you’ve been disliking and disagreeing with our comments that not landing Stewart would result in a suboptimal class.

I really don’t wanna put the rest of our eggs in the transfer portal basket.

Reaction Score
then we’re all on the same page but for some reason you’ve been disliking and disagreeing with our comments that not landing Stewart would result in a suboptimal class.

I really don’t wanna put the rest of our eggs in the transfer portal basket.
No I've been disliking and pushing back on the claims that this is a disappointing class. There's a wide gap between optimal and disappointing

Reaction Score
I’ve decided to change my mindset slightly around recruiting. With the transfer portal & ability for kids to leave as they do now, I feel you almost have to consider who transfers in/out as well as incoming freshmen. Just cause the 4 year college player at 1 university seems likely to be the exception vs the norm today

Reaction Score
No I've been disliking and pushing back on the claims that this is a disappointing class. There's a wide gap between optimal and disappointing
ok so youre not disappointed by a suboptimal class, that's fine. but i think since we're defining "optimal" rather liberally i.e. two consensus top 100 recruits, or three elite recruits if you're including ball, then it's fair to be disappointed for not hitting that benchmark. in other words i agree to disagree!

Reaction Score
His Dad went to USC and his dads twin brother went to Kansas. The twins were basketball icons at Rainier Beach high school here in Seattle when I was a youngster. Everyone was talking about them at the time. Brings back good memories

Stewart Twins

Yeah it dawned on me a few weeks ago that I knew this kid when he was a toddler. I used to spend a lot of time in Seattle and would see Lodrick and Rodrick - who were tight with my friends parents - all the time.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I’ve decided to change my mindset slightly around recruiting. With the transfer portal & ability for kids to leave as they do now, I feel you almost have to consider who transfers in/out as well as incoming freshmen. Just cause the 4 year college player at 1 university seems likely to be the exception vs the norm today
I agree with this, but it doesn’t soften the blow of missing on tons of our top targets this class so far.

I think everyone agrees Castle/Ball/Stewart is a solid foundation for a class, but the expectations when we saw how much local talent was available were clearly not met yet.

With all that being said, the transfer market is going to be the new optimal recruiting grounds for elite programs like ours, and I think we’d all agree Newton/Alleyne/Diarra/Joey was a great job on paper, especially for DH first portal class, and doing something he isn’t comfortable with.

Reaction Score
I agree with this, but it doesn’t soften the blow of missing on tons of our top targets this class so far.

I think everyone agrees Castle/Ball/Stewart is a solid foundation for a class, but the expectations when we saw how much local talent was available were clearly not met yet.

With all that being said, the transfer market is going to be the new optimal recruiting grounds for elite programs like ours, and I think we’d all agree Newton/Alleyne/Diarra/Joey was a great job on paper, especially for DH first portal class, and doing something he isn’t comfortable with.
Perfectly expresses my exact thoughts. I'll just add that if we miss on Stewart, I would consider the class as still 'solid' with either, or both, Singare / Williams. Singare isn't as good as Bradshaw, Kingsley, Estrada, Miranda, but he can be a dominant rim protector and very good rebounder. I'd like to get him. Williams I haven't watched play in games so I am just guessing from clips and reports.

Reaction Score
Got it. Not surprising. Coaches have their work cut out for them but hopefully we can get him on campus and knock his socks off.
Yea hopefully he wants to blaze his own trail. Them just offering now hopefully has left too much ground for them to make up

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
I could be wrong but I don't believe so. ESPN usually updates in May and August and has said an update is coming to their top 100 this month, and I think that's the only site he's not ranked on. He's 46 on Rivals, 84 on 247, 81 on On3. Maybe I missed an ESPN update though
Wouldn't that require ESPN to rank him lower than 189 to be outside the composite top 100? Is that likely?

Reaction Score
On3 has him at 118

Reaction Score

It’s a completely different mindset than it used to be. In the past, a program’s recruiting class really started to take shape in the fall or winter of the recruits senior year. A lot of players took those Fall officials and wanted to make their decision by the time their high school seasons started. In that model, spring recruits, in the year that they are graduating, were suspect. There were questions about eligibility or talent and whether schools were grasping at straws. Staffs felt good if they were getting ahead of the game and wrapping up those classes early.

Now, there is no such thing. It‘s been interesting reading the early team previews from across the sport. Almost every single one mentions high impact transfers in a way you didn’t see even five years ago.

Reaction Score
While you’re arguing about specific rankings, please keep in mind that ESPN currently has Jayden ranked higher than Solo. So, you know, grain of salt and all that.

ESPN has Solo in that default we know of this guy but haven’t really evaluated him 79/3 star category for some reason. They also have his school wrong, even though his move to Brewster has been known forever.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01