2023 Recruiting: - Jaylin Stewart to visit in September | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2023 Recruiting: Jaylin Stewart to visit in September

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If he decides elsewhere, who else is the staff targeting?

All I’ve seen other than Jaylin is Brandon Williams…what about Reid Ducharme

Reaction Score
At this point I think it's basically just Stewart, Williams, Singare. And if not them the transfer portal

The way the current transfers have come in this summer- ready, performing well- has made the staff very comfortable with continuing to use that option. I think a lot of coaches, at their core, love the idea of bringing in and developing freshmen. It hits at what coaching is all about. That being said, there are advantages to having almost everyone up to speed on college ball from practice one.

Reaction Score
If he decides elsewhere, who else is the staff targeting?

All I’ve seen other than Jaylin is Brandon Williams…what about Reid Ducharme
No on Ducharme.

“I’ve taken three official visits, Syracuse, Penn State, and Xavier,” Ducharme said. “Those are really the only three schools I’m talking to right now; I don’t have anything else set up.”

Reaction Score
The way the current transfers have come in this summer- ready, performing well- has made the staff very comfortable with continuing to use that option. I think a lot of coaches, at their core, love the idea of bringing in and developing freshmen. It hits at what coaching is all about. That being said, there are advantages to having almost everyone up to speed on college ball from practice one.
I like that the staff is pleased with transfer outcomes. That being said, Stewart looks like a really good player and one that I think can have as Borges put it with his comp, a Jarron Cumberland type of career. Dude is a stud and highly underrated and I hope he chooses UConn.

Reaction Score
I like that the staff is pleased with transfer outcomes. That being said, Stewart looks like a really good player and one that I think can have as Borges put it with his comp, a Jarron Cumberland type of career. Dude is a stud and highly underrated and I hope he chooses UConn.

i think everybody, from the decision makers on down, is all in on Stewart. My comment was more about options.

Reaction Score
i think everybody, from the decision makers on down, is all in on Stewart. My comment was more about options.
He's a really important recruit. Would take this from a disappointing class to a very good class. Missing out on every single target at a position of need would not be good.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Norlander had an interesting piece with Todd Golden at Florida. Basically Golden says he’s not recruiting high school players unless it’s a 5 star where Florida has some big recruiting advantage (location, family ties to the school, etc).

Not sure I’d agree with going that drastically toward the transfer market but to a large degree it seems reasonable given that the odds of a freshman who can’t make an immediate impact with your program staying until he can are not super high, so why spend a ton of resources trying to get those kids (when you inevitably will spend a lot of resources on those type of kids and for a large chunk you won’t even win the initial recruiting battle)

Reaction Score
Norlander had an interesting piece with Todd Golden at Florida. Basically Golden says he’s not recruiting high school players unless it’s a 5 star where Florida has some big recruiting advantage (location, family ties to the school, etc).

Not sure I’d agree with going that drastically toward the transfer market but to a large degree it seems reasonable given that the odds of a freshman who can’t make an immediate impact with your program staying until he can are not super high, so why spend a ton of resources trying to get those kids (when you inevitably will spend a lot of resources on those type of kids and for a large chunk you won’t even win the initial recruiting battle)

That was a really good piece, a lot of good day-to-day stuff about being on the recruiting trail. It also made me wonder if Florida message board fans were losing their minds and complaining about recruiting (but not enough to actually seek out that info).

Reaction Score
Rankings aside, a player like Stewart is more the type of player I'd want on this team than Carr.

Carr reminds me a bit of Post/Handle/Avatar, who was awesome at UConn, but that type of player isn't as attractive to me in the current basketball landscape. It's really hard for me to get excited for a 4 who is limited offensively.

Reaction Score
I can’t imagine calling a class with Castle and Ball in it “disappointing.” I also refuse to argue about it.
When we signed Castle we were all over Justin Edwards, Griffiths, Bol-Bowen, Miranda etc.

Ending up with Ball and some developmental recruits you hope will pan out would be a disappointing class for anyone who isn't just cheerleading.

Hopefully the staff gets Stewart and Williams.

Reaction Score
It's really hard for me to get excited for a 4 who is limited offensively.
or even worse, a 4 who thinks he's a 3. i'm not losing a second of sleep over carr but the thought of not landing stewart and williams and then having to get 5 or 6 guys in the portal next summer is worrisome.

Reaction Score
or even worse, a 4 who thinks he's a 3. not losing a second of sleep over carr but the thought of not landing stewart and having to get 5 or 6 guys in the portal next summer is worrisome.
If we're filling 6 spots in the portal next summer we probably just won the championship so sign me up for that

Reaction Score
If we're filling 6 spots in the portal next summer we probably just won the championship so sign me up for that
arent hawk and aj already in nba mock drafts? that isn't pending a national championship. sanogo could be playing pro ball in europe right now. springs could transfer for his RS senior year. we still have 2 open schollies. that's 6 right there.

Reaction Score
arent hawk and aj already in nba mock drafts? that isn't pending a national championship. sanogo could be playing pro ball in europe right now. springs could transfer for his RS senior year. we still have 2 open schollies. that's 6 right there.
Yeah I know how you're getting to 6. All I'm saying is the likelihood of all of those things happening is pretty small. I'm sure one and probably multiple guys do leave, but if Sanogo, Jackson and Hawkins ALL leave then chances are we've had a very successful season. Even with your logic of them being on mock drafts already, so if they stay on mock drafts until the spring and leave, then we've had a very successful season.

Of course I'd still love to close on Williams and Stewart, especially Stewart. But I'm not going to preemptively freak out about 6 open scholarships in the spring, and if we do end up in that situation I want us bringing in multiple high level transfers anyway to have a competitive 2023-24 team

Reaction Score
But I'm not going to preemptively freak out about 6 open scholarships in the spring, and if we do end up in that situation I want us bringing in multiple high level transfers anyway to have a competitive 2023-24 team
3 guys getting drafted in a single year would be amazing but a suboptimal '23 class shouldnt be the cost of a great '22 season.

hurley doesnt want to try and land 5 or 6 high level transfers next summer he wants to land 3 or 4 max, otherwise he wouldnt be wasting his time with stewart and williams and singare

Last edited:
Reaction Score
His Dad went to USC and his dads twin brother went to Kansas. The twins were basketball icons at Rainier Beach high school here in Seattle when I was a youngster. Everyone was talking about them at the time. Brings back good memories

Stewart Twins
Yea his comments on the instagram post definitely don’t make ya feel quite as good about his chances of signing with the good guys.

Reaction Score
3 guys getting drafted in a single year would be amazing but a suboptimal '23 class shouldnt be the cost of a great '22 season.

hurley doesnt want to try and land 5 or 6 high level transfers next summer he wants to land 3 or 4 max, otherwise he wouldnt be wasting his time with stewart and williams and singare
I guess we just completely disagree on what a suboptimal class is, taking a ton of freshman is that for me. I agree Hurley doesn't want 5 or 6 transfers next summer, and probably only wants around 4 again. Which is why I'm not expecting many more freshman commits, probably only 1 more. Anything else and you're basically guaranteeing transfers and Hurley has said as much publicly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom