January Recruiting Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

January Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I know there are offers out there, but does UConn have to sign another player in 2022? If so, who is is that player?
I and others have posted that Geno will have to toss his line into the portal pond to see what he can catch guard-wise.

But here's my fantasy: Some coach moves to another school and a prime recruit de-commits and elects to come to UConn instead.

I can dream, can't I?

Reaction Score
Wow! I don’t want to get ahead of myself but I have to say it looks like we got Shade, wouldn’t really make sense for the official account to follow her otherwise. They won’t follow players of interest unless they’ve made a commitment. That’s great news if true and I’m a little suprised, I really thought she was heavily leaning towards Tennessee.

If she does indeed announce a commitment to UCONN I’ll be interested to see if we can still land Williams or Watkins since we also have KK Arnold. I’m really high on Williams, I see Watkins staying out west.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Wow! I don’t want to get ahead of myself but I have to say it looks like we got Shade, wouldn’t really make sense for the official account to follow her otherwise. They won’t follow players of interest unless they’ve made a commitment. That’s great news and I’m a little suprised, I really thought she was heavily leaning towards Tennessee.
What do you mean by official account? So when Azzi was in the final part of her decision process, this official account did not follow Azzi? :confused::confused:

Reaction Score
What do you mean by official account? So when Azzi was in the final part of her decision process, this official account did not follow Azzi? :confused::confused:
The verified instagram UCONN WBB account is what I mean by official account. I’m not sure about Azzi because I can’t go back in time and check it out.

But I scrolled through everyone they follow and they do not follow any POI. They follow past/current players and players who’ve committed (including Ice/Ayanna). It would be weird if Shade was the first POI they followed, so I’m assuming she told the coaches her commitment. I could be off, but it seems pretty likely.

Reaction Score
The verified instagram UCONN WBB account is what I mean by official account. I’m not sure about Azzi because I can’t go back in time and check it out.

But I scrolled through everyone they follow and they do not follow any POI. They follow past/current players and players who’ve committed (including Ice/Ayanna). It would be weird if Shade was the first POI they followed, so I’m assuming she told the coaches her commitment. I could be off, but it seems pretty likely.
You could be on to something. Call her and check it out. ;)

Reaction Score
Wow. If we got Shade, I would be shocked. I thought she was a heavy Tennessee lean

I believe her brother plays baseball there, which is why there were quite a few unofficials. Per the Lady Vols board, she is no longer on the POI list. SO who knows

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I believe her brother plays baseball there, which is why there were quite a few unofficials. Per the Lady Vols board, she is no longer on the POI list. SO who knows
Her brother is being recruited by UT baseball. She went with him on his recruiting visit and she did stop in with the Women's team.

Reaction Score
I and others have posted that Geno will have to toss his line into the portal pond to see what he can catch guard-wise.

But here's my fantasy: Some coach moves to another school and a prime recruit de-commits and elects to come to UConn instead.

I can dream, can't I?
Yes we can hope. To me the ideal candidate would not be from the 22 class, but rather be a one year fill in at the 2/3. A grad transfer or senior to be, that could fill the role of what Kiki Rice might have done for us if she had committed. Yes I know Kiki is considered a PG by some, but for us with Paige and Nika next year she probably would have settled in as the 2/3 backup to Azzi and Caroline.

That kind of player, or like Evina for that matter, a versatile 2/3 with enough experience to be able to step in as a good 2/3 backup right away. Since that does seem to be an obvious hole in next year's lineup with significant playing time very likely, I think we should be able to find a good match in the portal.

Reaction Score
Wow! I don’t want to get ahead of myself but I have to say it looks like we got Shade, wouldn’t really make sense for the official account to follow her otherwise. They won’t follow players of interest unless they’ve made a commitment. That’s great news if true and I’m a little suprised, I really thought she was heavily leaning towards Tennessee.

If she does indeed announce a commitment to UCONN I’ll be interested to see if we can still land Williams or Watkins since we also have KK Arnold. I’m really high on Williams, I see Watkins staying out west.
Let’s not get to greedy. We can’t land every top ten recruit.

Reaction Score
Prospects Nation releases its 2023 list under its new guidelines which means a top-25 only.

1-Williams
2-Watkins
3-Shade
4-Kitts
5-Toomey
6-Cunningham
8-Arnold
10-Booker
12-Hidalgo
23-Del Rosario

If any on the list are seriously considering UConn and happened to find yourself on this forum reading this thread, just know you are all #1 in my book! Especially if you’re out “friend”

Reaction Score
Wow. That would be fantastic news if Ashlyn Shade committed. We haven't gotten anything official so it's tough to get our hopes up but she would be a terrific fit and may I remind people that as a top 5 she has the street cred. Caroline was a top 5 also right? The Indy star described Ashlyn as possibly the best high school girl in Indiana history and that would seem to say something ( I think it was the Indy Star ). She's a lot of fun to watch also. She and KK appear to be just terrific young ladies as well as major league gym rats ( I mean that sincerely as a complement ). One could make a strong case that Uconn has been winning the recruitment contest since Paige came over. I think we are secure with what we got in Azzi/Caroline/Amari ( top 2 class to me ) and we should be in the top 2 range with Ice/Ayanna. Getting Ashlyn would be a huge signing with KK!

Reaction Score
If any on the list are seriously considering UConn and happened to find yourself on this forum reading this thread, just know you are all #1 in my book! Especially if you’re out “friend”
Our friend.

Reaction Score
Ashlyn has an entourage! These kids often have a huge influence on their local communities. They are statewide superstars. I love hearing how Paige is friends with some little kid in Brainerd, MN ...etc. They are role models! Check out the "Goat" sunglass "Shade" motiff on the shirts!

Ashlyn.jpeg

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
For 2023 UCONN has KK verbally committed.
UCONN also has "documented" outstanding offers to Booker, Toomey and Shade.
Toomey and Shade has visited UCONN on unofficial visits.
With the departure of Saylor and Mir IMO the 2023 class needs to be 4 or possibly 5.
Got to believe hope and will continue to pray that M.Williams has and is considering a UCONN offer.
Kitts is blowing up! UCONN needs to take a serious look IMO because she is the UCONN prototype in terms of versatility.
Booker was considering Mississippi State and given their coaching uncertainty might be considering UCONN even more now.
Don't see UCONN signing both Kits and Booker
Don't see UCONN continuing to pursue Hildago now that Arnold is on board.
Cunningham or Del Rosario?
Keep in mind that UCONN is not going to sign 4 or 5 top 10 players and that some very capable POI are worth keeping an eye on Riley Stack, Delaney Thomas, (Azzi's HS teammate) Olivia Anderson, and Sahara Williams.

Reaction Score
I like your overview Coco as it's very helpful. All of those options would be great. I'd particularly like to see Delaney Thomas and Olivia Anderson as they would seem to be great fits potentially ( beyond Mikaylas and Kitts potentially ..etc ). I don't remember seeing Anderson play with Azzi earlier but maybe I just missed her. Maybe they added her since Azzi left. I'd like to see some interest in Jadyn Donovan also.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For 2023 UCONN has KK verbally committed.
UCONN also has "documented" outstanding offers to Booker, Toomey and Shade.
Toomey and Shade has visited UCONN on unofficial visits.
With the departure of Saylor and Mir IMO the 2023 class needs to be 4 or possibly 5.
Got to believe hope and will continue to pray that M.Williams has and is considering a UCONN offer.
Kitts is blowing up! UCONN needs to take a serious look IMO because she is the UCONN prototype in terms of versatility.
Booker was considering Mississippi State and given their coaching uncertainty might be considering UCONN even more now.
Don't see UCONN signing both Kits and Booker
Don't see UCONN continuing to pursue Hildago now that Arnold is on board.
Cunningham or Del Rosario?
Keep in mind that UCONN is not going to sign 4 or 5 top 10 players and that some very capable POI are worth keeping an eye on Riley Stack, Delaney Thomas, (Azzi's HS teammate) Olivia Anderson, and Sahara Williams.
I agree on these two. For balance across that '23 class to go with the '22 size, if Arnold, Toomey, and Shade commit I'd go all in on Kitts and hope like hell for Williams to fill a last spot. As you know I just think Booker will stay south. And I think that behind the scenes Auriemma's going to have a good idea fairly early on what his chances on MW are going to be.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I agree on these two. For balance across that '23 class to go with the '22 size, if Arnold, Toomey, and Shade commit I'd go all in on Kitts and hope like hell for Williams to fill a last spot. As you know I just think Booker will stay south. And I think that behind the scenes Auriemma's going to have a good idea fairly early on what his chances on MW are going to be.

Aren't Kitts and Toomey a bit redundant? I'd think if UConn could somehow land Shade and Toomey that it would likely be down to Cunningham, S Williams, and Booker for 1-2 more slots.

Course, we're putting the cart before Mr Ed here.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I like your overview Coco as it's very helpful. All of those options would be great. I'd particularly like to see Delaney Thomas and Olivia Anderson as they would seem to be great fits potentially ( beyond Mikaylas and Kitts potentially ..etc ). I don't remember seeing Anderson play with Azzi earlier but maybe I just missed her. Maybe they added her since Azzi left. I'd like to see some interest in Jadyn Donovan also.
Olivia Anderson is from Washington State . Delaney Thomas is the one that was HS and AAU teammates with Azzi and actually help move Azzi into her dorm room at UCONN this summer. Jadyn Donovan is extremely athletic I don't recall any UCONN interest maybe @Sluconn Husky can enlighten us.

Reaction Score
Aren't Kitts and Toomey a bit redundant? I'd think if UConn could somehow land Shade and Toomey that it would likely be down to Cunningham, S Williams, and Booker for 1-2 more slots.

Course, we're putting the cart before Mr Ed here.
Yes maybe right now. I think Kitts is going to be a pure wing and very similar to Olson in ‘24. Either one takes care of the 3 spot for 3-4 years. I would think they won’t get both. Just doing a little projection, I think Toomey is going to fill out and get stronger in the upper body over the next couple years and be able to handle a Brady type role. High/low threat. Not sure she’ll be quick enough to guard the perimeter but Kitts/Olson will be. Of course it’s just my vision of things, who knows what Auriemma’s thinking.

Reaction Score
Hold on, according to Geno the top players aren't as advertised as a few years ago, so maybe the next tier kids should get more attention here on the BY

LOL he's just poking Bueckers & Fudd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc