Jana - In Madrid - FIBA Games | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Jana - In Madrid - FIBA Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Before the HALF, Egypt was down 44 - 12 (32 points) with 2 minutes and 37 seconds left in the second quarter. Jana's
drive and after the foul, her two free throws put Egypt ahead 56 - 54. The game was again tied at 56 -56 at 2:15 of the
fourth Q. It was 58 to 56 with 48 seconds remaining. China missed a three pointer and a " bunny" in the last minute
and , I believe, it was Nour Ebrahim of Egypt who sealed the deal with two free throws. Our Jana gave NOUR a pep talk
at the foul line before she drained the final points.
Has anyone noted the Jana El Alfy is a torrid 16 for 17 from the free throw line after two games? Go Jana!
One thing I've noticed is that Jana is consistent in what appears to be encouraging her teammates. The girl is trying to keep her fellow players up lifted.
My kind of kid! Just-Say-N :)

Reaction Score
Jana's final stats for game 1

#PlayersGMinFG2pts3ptsFTODTotAsPFToStBS+/-EfPts
8J. Elalfy130.210.0/17.058.8%9.0/14.064.3%1.0/3.033.3%8.0/9.088.9%0.06.06.02.04.07.00.00.0-28.022.029.
7 turnovers?
minus 28?
What was the final score? If she was minus 28 they couldn't have won, or did they?
Did I read this chart correctly?

Reaction Score
I think the jogging on D is just self preservation since she has to do so much on the offensive side and from the clips and play almost the whole game.
Last year when she was playing 40 minutes a game and doing so much out of necessity on both ends, how many times did you see Muhl jog behind the play?

Reaction Score
Not comparable. Bigs take so much more punishment on the block.
She’s hardly ever on the block. She’s out on the perimeter asking for the ball.

Reaction Score
Lower left frame - you would think at least one of the refs would have seen one of the three fouls they committed on her on that play.

Did I say three? How about four?
I know, right! I mean at one point it looks like she gets hit in the face and retreats and takes the ball up another way. One thing that really stands out is that she has no fear of putting the ball on the floor and driving the lane.

And in the 4th frame, the guard dishes but in such a way as to bring the double team directly to Jana. But no problem, Jana says. "I'll just go right through them."

Reaction Score
I watched a replay of the game at Seton Hall last season (thanks, @MJL243) and noticed a couple of times when Aaliyah drove the length of the floor to finish at the rim. The guards were just no match for her once she got a head of steam up. I expect we'll see a few of those from Jana soon.

Reaction Score
7 turnovers?
minus 28?
What was the final score? If she was minus 28 they couldn't have won, or did they?
Yup. You read the chart correctly. The turnovers were there. 7 of them. But had to watch the game and keep those turnovers in context. The minus 28 was there as well. You are correct, her team did not win. I have never been a fan of the Plus/Minus stuff, they are so misleading. Like any stat, it isn't perfect, but it's there.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
7 turnovers?
minus 28?
3 of the turnovers were offensive fouls. The others were part of Egypt's struggles to inbound the ball against CR's press. Egypt as a whole committed 34 turnovers. The guards are pretty bad and Jana got caught up in trying to do too much. She also had the highest efficiency rating (22) of any player on the court.

As for her motor, she'll learn what it takes to play at UConn like many post players before her did. She'll run hard or won't play. We all remember when Tina, Stef, Kiah and and others didn't play at Geno's pace. They learned.

Reaction Score
SPOILER Alert Game 2:
Pretty insane game 2 for Egypt. Happy for their team and coach. When the buzzer sounded they celebrated like they had won a championship, and the coach kissed the floor. Just seemed like it was a moment that meant a lot to them. I agree with most of the assessments in the thread

Jana, like the rest of the team started pretty slow. I thought at some point in the second quarter when they were down like 25, she turned up her aggression. She must've scored like 8 straight, she had a spin and mid range jumper that she missed but was a pro move. The team eventually battled back and even played well when Jana was on the bench. Their second big looked really good, she made some huge shots from the outside and finished at the rim. Jana sat for much of the 4th but she was cheering on her teammates and into it as they continued come back. Then, perhaps more impressive, she was put back in with like 2 minutes left and drew a foul, and made some big free throws to put the team ahead. After they spot the other team like 10, I've been somewhat impressed with Egypt. This is my first time really watching them but they have several skilled players.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Their second big looked really good, she made some huge shots from the outside and finished at the rim. Jana sat for much of the 4th but she was cheering on her teammates and into it as they continued come back. Then, perhaps more impressive, she was put back in with like 2 minutes left and drew a foul, and made some big free throws to put the team ahead. After they spot the other team like 10, I've been somewhat impressed with Egypt. This is my first time really watching them but they have several skilled players.
Jana Sallman will be a freshman at BYU.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
FIBA top 10 performers after two games

PLAYERS STATISTICS​

Powered by

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Player’s motors -
Comparing one player’s motor is ok for friendly competition and discussion. But I also recognize that players do not have the same motor or level of intensity. Players are people and are of course “wired” differently.

You can be a great player without a high motor. Your great players that had/have heart/a high motor did not have to be coaxed into playing hard every minute they were on the floor.

Do you think Diana Taurasi, Maya Moore, Sue Bird, Jamelle Elliott, Jen Rizzotti, Skylar Diggins', USF's Courtney Williams, NaLyssa Smith (Baylor), Caitlin Clark, or Sabrina Ionescu needed pep talks from their coaches to get them to play hard or with more intensity?

No. They all have a high motor that was in their DNA the first day they stepped on their college campus. They only know one way to play.......100 mph. Some players have to be prodded and reminded to play hard, some don't.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Player’s motors -
Comparing one player’s motor is ok for friendly competition and discussion. But I also recognize that players do not have the same motor or level of intensity. Players are people and are of course “wired” differently.

You can be a great player without a high motor. Your great players that had/have heart/a high motor did not have to be coaxed into playing hard every minute they were on the floor.

Do you think Diana Taurasi, Maya Moore, Sue Bird, Jamelle Elliott, Jen Rizzotti, Skylar Diggins', USF's Courtney Williams, NaLyssa Smith (Baylor), Caitlin Clark, or Sabrina Ionescu needed pep talks from their coaches to get them to play hard or with more intensity?

No. They all have a high motor that was in their DNA the first day they stepped on their college campus. They only know one way to play.......100 mph. Some players have to be prodded and reminded to play hard, some don't.
That’s a good list of 10 that are/were highly self motivated players. Now off the top of your head can you name 5 great players who did not have a high motor that needed to be prodded and reminded to play hard? I can’t.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Very nice article on Jana. I never have high expectations for any freshman coming in. Whatever they did, whatever awards they won are left at home when then they go to college. They all must start at square one. They haven't done anything at this level yet.

The more I read articles like this about Jana, t higher my expectations for her rise. The article suggested she may become the best female basketball player from Africa. There's no way you can read that and think she's going to have a "ho-hum" season.

First, she's got to get on the floor. Ice Brady and Amari DeBerry are going to be vying for playing time at the 5 as well. There's a log jam of post players vying for minutes at UConn for a change. What a refreshing change. I love it.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
That’s a good list of 10 that are/were highly self motivated players. Now off the top of your head can you name 5 great players who did not have a high motor that needed to be prodded and reminded to play hard? I can’t.
Several players that come immediately to mind are Wilt Chamberlain, Dennis Rodman, Kylie Irving, and James Harden. I've seen these players take plays off more than once during a game.

Kamila Cardoso (South Carolina) in my opinion does not have a high motor. Neither did Kalani Brown (Baylor). You asked for names. I've given you some. Not asking or expecting you to agree. I'm not going to debate this either. It's just one man's opinion.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Game 1 in the books - I think we are looking at a very bright UCONN future and career for our Jana. :)

View attachment 89774
She doing this against the best players in the world in her age group. Not against lesser or inferior competition. I'm inclined to think the time she's spent at UConn thus far is paying dividends.

Her father who knows her better than anyone, said she was almost unrecognizable. That resonated with me. I’m looking ahead to how good she’s going to be this time next year after a full NCAA season, and more Fiba play in her back pocket. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Very nice article on Jana. I never have high expectations for any freshman coming in. Whatever they did, whatever awards they won are left at home when then they go to college. They all must start at square one. They haven't done anything at this level yet.

The more I read articles like this about Jana, t higher my expectations for her rise. The article suggested she may become the best female basketball player from Africa. There's no way you can read that and think she's going to have a "ho-hum" season.

First, she's got to get on the floor. Ice Brady and Amari DeBerry are going to be vying for playing time at the 5 as well. There's a log jam of post players vying for minutes at UConn for a change. What a refreshing change. I love it.
I believe Jana is playing to impress her dad and mom, particularly when she is not being coached by dad.

When she is only getting 10-12 minutes at UCONN early in the year (AND on the European pre-season tour at 15 - 20 minutes - {possibly} with "only" 10 women available [minus Ice, Paige, Patterson, & Amari]?!?), she will be showing her "OVERDRIVE" gear in her strong motor...

Go Huskies!!!!!

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
Yup. You read the chart correctly. The turnovers were there. 7 of them. But had to watch the game and keep those turnovers in context. The minus 28 was there as well. You are correct, her team did not win. I have never been a fan of the Plus/Minus stuff, they are so misleading. Like any stat, it isn't perfect, but it's there.
Right in that first game only one Egyptian player and a plus number. She played 16 minutes took no shots, got no rebounds and no assists. Yet, she was +5

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
I believe Jana is playing to impress her dad and mom, particularly when she is not being coached by dad.

And on what do you base this impressive piece of analysis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom