Jana - In Madrid - FIBA Games | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jana - In Madrid - FIBA Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I've watched several of her HS games and a few FIBA games, and I saw exactly this too. The level of skill of those teams is weak. Jana really stands out over everyone in every aspect of the game. I remember seeing one other player (whose name I'm blanking on) who rivaled her.

I agree. She'll have to raise the energy level. I think she had to develop this economical mode just to be able to be on the floor for as much as she was needed, since she effectively did everything for her teams -- not just rebounding and banging in the lane, but also breaking the press, passing from the edge, driving the lane. If she went all out for long, she'd be exhausted before the end of the first half. Liv and Dorka developed better ways to manage their energy once they became full game players, and Jana will have to figure it out too. Stewie and Rebecca are the only bigs I can remember who could run the floor all out for entire games -- and they got tired sometimes, too.

Absolutely! I almost cried the first time I watched her do that! Go Jana!!!!!
Jana will have a massive skills and BB IQ growth spurt over the next 19 months to November 2024.
I’m guessing her game skills will have evolved so much, we won’t recognize her. :cool:

Reaction Score
Game 1 in the books - I think we are looking at a very bright UCONN future and career for our Jana. :)

Jana in Madrid, Spain.jpeg

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
OK, don’t go crazy when I say this. As a BIG, Jana’s handle is comparable to Stewie’s and, like Stewie, she can knock down shots from the arc. I am not saying that Jana will be another Stewie……,at least not yet. But she has developed a similar skill set at a young age.

As I and others have pointed out, Jana is a coach’s kid. Most BIGs learn the game from the inside out, planting themselves near the basket where they dominate smaller players. In Jana’s case she has worked on elements of her game that many BIGs overlook until they get to college like dribbling, passing and shooting.

Geno and his staff must be salivating at the prospect of adding a BIG with a potent offensive arsenal to an already loaded lineup. The season can’t get here soon enough. :)

Reaction Score
I was not assuming Aaliyah would stay for 24-25. She might, of course. I am assuming Paige would stay merely because she’d want two healthy years playing side by side with bff, Azzi.

By the way, I’d been thinking that playing against Aaliyah in practice would be great for her skills development. But now I’m also thinking that playing against Amari would be great for both of them.

Last edited:

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Congrats to Egypt who came back from a 24 pt halftime deficit to beat China by 4. Jana didn't play the first 8 minutes of the fourth quarter since the comeback was doing well without her. She ended up with 15 points. She can shoot the 3 very well. Go Egypt, great comeback.

Reaction Score
OK, don’t go crazy when I say this. As a BIG, Jana’s handle is comparable to Stewie’s and, like Stewie, she can knock down shots from the arc. I am not saying that Jana will be another Stewie……,at least not yet. But she has developed a similar skill set at a young age.

As I and others have pointed out, Jana is a coach’s kid. Most BIGs learn the game from the inside out, planting themselves near the basket where they dominate smaller players. In Jana’s case she has worked on elements of her game that many BIGs overlook until they get to college like dribbling, passing and shooting.

Geno and his staff must be salivating at the prospect of adding a BIG with a potent offensive arsenal to an already loaded lineup. The season can’t get here soon enough. :)
I was impressed by how decent her handles were for a Big and how Jana was able to feel comfortable (her choice, coach choice, whomever) in the middle of that Czech Republic press. She didn't panic. She handled the pressure well. Skill development wise, her footwork is only going to get better. Same with the rest of her game. Also, I LOVE how she handled the physical play out there. She did not shy away from the contact. She got some DAWG in her. I love it!!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Good pickup. Half speed up and down the floor and being late on D but just in time to take the ball out of your defensive basket after scores won't cut it. Offensive potential for P&R and P&P is good but it's not what will get her on and keep her on the floor. As you say, when GA and the staff get serious from August on she'll need to make the mental change to get her opportunities.
Like the reports overall. In terms of her D, the coaching staff has already had her for a semester.

Reaction Score
Egypt likes to spot their opponents 20 points before playing well themselves. Jana continues to jog along. Hope it doesn’t turn into a bad habit.
I get what you are saying but I am sure once she is back with the UConn program, she will pick up the pace. Definitely not a good look but even the Greats of the game took moments off or were seen jogging up the court.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
So, you've been at the informal practices? I'm jealous.
Haha. Nope, but if you have paid attention at all, Geno and others have had some great comments about her. Also, I think her dad saw a clip of her playing or practicing or something, and said something like "i don't recognize her" - a compliment. All any of us can really go off of are the comments the coaches or other players make about the kids...

Carnac

Reaction Score
Good pickup. Half speed up and down the floor and being late on D but just in time to take the ball out of your defensive basket after scores won't cut it. Offensive potential for P&R and P&P is good but it's not what will get her on and keep her on the floor. As you say, when GA and the staff get serious from August on she'll need to make the mental change to get her opportunities.
Jana wants to play!! She will do whatever she needs to do to play. If that means running faster up and down the court, she will. She will adjust to the speed of the game. Her coaches and teammates will tell her if she’s doing something wrong, and how to correct it. Jana is in good hands. She’ll be fine.

As far as the Fiba games go, I have tunnel vision and concern. I don’t care about the play of her teammates, or if they win or lose. I only care about Jana, how she plays, and that she finishes each game without injury.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I get what you are saying but I am sure once she is back with the UConn program, she will pick up the pace. Definitely not a good look but even the Greats of the game took moments off or were seen jogging up the court.
You can be sure she will! :cool:

Reaction Score
Jana wants to play!! She will do whatever she needs to do to play. If that means running faster up and down the court, she will. She will adjust to the speed of the game. Her coaches and teammates will tell her if she’s doing something wrong, and how to correct it. Jana is in good hands. She’ll be fine.

As far as the Fiba games go, I have tunnel vision and concern. I don’t care about the play of her teammates, or if they win or lose. I only care about Jana, how she plays, and that she finishes each game without injury.
It's called a compete level and it's not coincidental that the best, most successful players possess the highest level. It's not something you turn on and off depending on the competition and speed of play. Sure, she's young and learning the game but that has nothing to do with compete level. Kids that are hungry don't slow down. Take a younger example, HS senior to be Morgan Cheli. Watch any game video of her and count the number of plays she takes off. It will be zero, she is non stop effort. You are correct, her coaches and teammates will let her know and she'll be wise to listen closely.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I agree. I think she will too. If you haven't seen it yet, I thought you'd enjoy this:

Reaction Score
Congrats to Egypt who came back from a 24 pt halftime deficit to beat China by 4. Jana didn't play the first 8 minutes of the fourth quarter since the comeback was doing well without her. She ended up with 15 points. She can shoot the 3 very well. Go Egypt, great comeback.
Before the HALF, Egypt was down 44 - 12 (32 points) with 2 minutes and 37 seconds left in the second quarter. Jana's
drive and after the foul, her two free throws put Egypt ahead 56 - 54. The game was again tied at 56 -56 at 2:15 of the
fourth Q. It was 58 to 56 with 48 seconds remaining. China missed a three pointer and a " bunny" in the last minute
and , I believe, it was Nour Ebrahim of Egypt who sealed the deal with two free throws. Our Jana gave NOUR a pep talk
at the foul line before she drained the final points.
Has anyone noted the Jana El Alfy is a torrid 16 for 17 from the free throw line after two games? Go Jana!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom