Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In her Egyptian uni, getting ready, FIBA U19 World Cup games, July 15-23:

Jana El Alfy - Egypt.jpeg
Jana #2.jpeg

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I know her father had some nice comments about her game, but I'll be curious what he thinks seeing it up close and personal for the games - he's not the HC of Egypt, correct? He was "just" her coach in HS? Either way, I think she's improved a ton since she came to UCONN in December or January.

Reaction Score
I know her father had some nice comments about her game, but I'll be curious what he thinks seeing it up close and personal for the games - he's not the HC of Egypt, correct? He was "just" her coach in HS? Either way, I think she's improved a ton since she came to UCONN in December or January.
Her father is not the coach for Egypt in this tournament. However, he is the coach of the Egyptian National Senior team for which I believe she will be on the roster for in the FIBA Afro Basket 2023 that starts July 28 in Rwanda.

Reaction Score
Her father is THE Egyptian national team’s coach. Not the U19 coach.

Reaction Score
Ehab El Alfy (Jana's dad) is the Senior Women's National Coach, so he is not the U19 coach. He is also Jana's coach in her developmental league in Egypt.

A good article about CD's trip to Egypt is attached (may have been attached in other threads, but is a good refresher for tomorrow morning's game vs. the Czech Republic (#14 in rankings to Egypt's #20)....

link: UConn women's basketball recruit Jana El Alfy will come to CT from Egypt next year. Meet the future Husky

I am predicting a 65-56 win for Egypt over the Czechs...

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Mid first quarter, Egypt down 22-8. Egypt is not a good team and Jana has not really been involved so far. Guards are ball hogs

Reaction Score
Halftime and Jana has 18 on 7 of 10 shooting with 5 rebounds. Egypt was only down 38-42 when Jana was hit, what appeared, in the head/face. Left the game. Egypt down at halftime 38-48.

Reaction Score
Halftime and Jana has 18 on 7 of 10 shooting with 5 rebounds. Egypt was only down 38-42 when Jana was hit, what appeared, in the head/face. Left the game. Egypt down at halftime 38-48.
That didn’t look good. It was hard to see but she looked like she collapsed on the sideline. Anyone get a better look at that?

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
My wife and I had a good laugh when the color commentator mentioned that there were 2,000 people watching the game. We decided that the players parents and the rest were UConn fans.

Sorry but It's not good basketball. Egypt's player development to me is like watching a good middle school or average JV team.

You'll not see me being negative on any aspect of Jana's game give the lack of understanding and ability of the team in general.

Just watched Jana receive the inbound, dribble up the floor through the defenders for a layup.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Jana is very skilled offensively. Can go right or left. Looks to be good passer in the half-court. Not unexpectedly the defense needs a lot of work. The motor? She'll play at UConn's pace or she won't play. She'll figure that out.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
When is their next game? Keep that info coming!

Contact does not seem to phase her....good!
She appears to be exactly what UConn needs.....a post player who is not afraid of contact, and who is willing to get physical in the paint. I look for Jana to really blossom in year two. I’m expecting the same thing from Ice Brady.

Reaction Score
Jana is very skilled offensively. Can go right or left. Looks to be good passer in the half-court. Not unexpectedly the defense needs a lot of work. The motor? She'll play at UConn's pace or she won't play. She'll figure that out.
Good pickup. Half speed up and down the floor and being late on D but just in time to take the ball out of your defensive basket after scores won't cut it. Offensive potential for P&R and P&P is good but it's not what will get her on and keep her on the floor. As you say, when GA and the staff get serious from August on she'll need to make the mental change to get her opportunities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom