It's Pitt and Syracuse!!!! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

It's Pitt and Syracuse!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Why don't you reply to the message about how dumb the ACC is to prefer Syracuse and Pittsburgh to Navy and Houston?

I know you think what people post on message boards matter. I realize that if they don't get UConn into the ACC the athletic program is shut down regardless of what I say, think or post.

I know you think people want to hear your endless bitching, but you are wrong.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I know you think people want to hear your endless bitching, but you are wrong.

Calling your nonsense out isn't 'bitching'. Again, if the service academies are better draws than Syracuse and Pittsburgh... please explain to us why they are on CBS College Sports and 90% of the people who post on a college message board can't tell you if they even get that station?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Its hard to take you seriously when you say "Its only Pitt and SU leaving" then suggest that the service academies will get better ratings. Are we to presume that these "better" ratings will bring more money when it comes to Television Contracts?

The Big East will take a hit on the TV contract, but the service academies do draw OK. Pretty sure the two choices on the TV contract are not $20 million per team and zero. Putting together the best realistic conference possible for TV seems like a good idea. Maybe I am in the minority on this.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The Big East will take a hit on the TV contract, but the service academies do draw OK. Pretty sure the two choices on the TV contract are not $20 million per team and zero. Putting together the best realistic conference possible for TV seems like a good idea. Maybe I am in the minority on this.

So they went from being better than Syracuse and Pittsburgh to OK within a few posts? Syracuse and Pittsburgh are weak - but UConn is now putting together 'the best realistic conference possible for TV'?

For some bizarre reason you wanted the end game to be that UConn football was left out in the cold but the basketball program thrived. It may have only been so you could say "I told you so". It was never possible - you may as well wish for a team of pink unicorns to drive your sled to work in the morning.

Reaction Score
Reality is reality. Nothing else. Win on the field and the court, and put fans in the seats, and the Big East will be fine.

Remaining status quo with Pitt and Cuse gone, no the BE will not be fine. We are already considered the weakest BCS conference and with the departure of those schools who have history and tradition, we are no OK. Perception is the reality outside of the northeast and not field success, otherwise Cuse would not be a targeted school based on nearly 10 years of football mediocrity. Without those schools we have WVU and everyone else. UConn, Ville, Rutgers, Cinn and USF do not exactly scream football history. We remain as is and add a military school, UCF or Houston and we still would have a hard time justifying the BCS bid. If that goes then we are the northeast version of C-USA. We may keep it while this whole shakeup continues, but not for long IMO.

Reaction Score
Remaining status quo with Pitt and Cuse gone, no the BE will not be fine. We are already considered the weakest BCS conference and with the departure of those schools who have history and tradition, we are no OK. Perception is the reality outside of the northeast and not field success, otherwise Cuse would not be a targeted school based on nearly 10 years of football mediocrity. Without those schools we have WVU and everyone else. UConn, Ville, Rutgers, Cinn and USF do not exactly scream football history. We remain as is and add a military school, UCF or Houston and we still would have a hard time justifying the BCS bid. If that goes then we are the northeast version of C-USA. We may keep it while this whole shakeup continues, but not for long IMO.
True that. Look, there is only one thing that keeps the BCS bid at this point. Politics. Nothing else. Politics is a good thing sometimes.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Because Syracuse and Pitt are gone? And replaced with service academies who will easily outdraw them both in ratings? ESPN is playing hardball and Comcast knows they will have to pay not just a market price but enough to prevent ESPN from rat-duck*ing them again.

We need the Houston market thought. No other team on the table comes close to Houston for market value, and I think Houston can deliver a decent share of its home market.

Houston for the Houston market is the exact same argument as BC for the Boston market.

Consistency.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
bump because the panicking on this board has gotten worse and UConn's strategy for dealing with this has gotten stupider.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Agree to disagree I guess. I'm all in favor of UConn being aggressive in securing our future. The best options for that are outside of the Big East. Not much more to say.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
bump because nelson thinks losing two programs that have only been to the BCS in it's lifetime as well as having won NC's and Heismans are easily replaceable by ___________

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
bump because nelson thinks losing two programs that have only been to the BCS in it's lifetime as well as having won NC's and Heismans are easily replaceable by ___________

I get that you are upset that UConn is not in some dream conference. We are where we are, and it is about to get a lot worse if the school continues on its current strategy of begging harder, which you wholeheartedly endorse.

In life, you always try to keep your options open.

Reaction Score
It's not like the Big East, if it survives in whatever form, would try to move on without us.

Reaction Score
At first I thought that the Big East is way down without P. & S. But, actually we were plus one with TCU coming in. So, at the moment we are only down one. If I can figure out this higher math, if the Big East adds one school, it will be even. So, why the panic? TCU is a BIG plus in many ways. It decided to join the Big East to improve its athletic programs, and it will. It brings a lot to the Big East in football. Joining the Big East will vastly improve TCU's ability to recruit better athletes in all sports- particularly in basketball. The Big East needs only one more school with that goal in mind. The league could even end up stronger, as it did after Miami and BC.

Reaction Score
At first I thought that the Big East is way down without P. & S. But, actually we were plus one with TCU coming in. So, at the moment we are only down one. If I can figure out this higher math, if the Big East adds one school, it will be even. So, why the panic? TCU is a BIG plus in many ways. It decided to join the Big East to improve its athletic programs, and it will. It brings a lot to the Big East in football. Joining the Big East will vastly improve TCU's ability to recruit better athletes in all sports- particularly in basketball. The Big East needs only one more school with that goal in mind. The league could even end up stronger, as it did after Miami and BC.

A conference with WVU, Louisville, RU, TCU, with Houston and UCF is going to keep a BCS bid, and get a fair TV contract. I don't think anyone is debating that. Nelson is missing two important points, however:

1) UConn has very little ability to make a reconstituted conference happen if Louisville, TCU and WVU aren't interested in making it happen. If they are, it will happen and it will include UConn.

2) There is much more than just a remote chance (that Nelson dismisses out of hand without justification) that one or more of WVU, Louisville and/or TCU isn't around in two years. At that point any plans to salvage the conference blow up.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I know one thing. If this thing drags out for months or years, there are more than one or two people who won't make it.

It is interesting how much energy is being made by people who have absolutely no control over the outcome. Events will play out in spite of our desires, hopes, fears, protestations or ideas. Those that end up happy will do so out of luck and for no other reason. And any immediate satisfaction can easily turn into long term disappointment.

One reflection: there is a lot of disagreement on this board over how UConn got to this place and what it should do next. At least this affords us a view of the process that is taking place within and amongst the various leaders of the Universities and Conferences. They face the same diverse positions of opinion. There is no consensus. And this is not surprising since no one has a crystal ball to know which choice(s) provide(s) the best outcome. People making the claim they know what should be done, are deceiving themselves. The Universe is set up for uncertainty. We don't absolutely solve anything. We are always reducing impact instead of asserting control. The issues of realignment are no different.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
A conference with WVU, Louisville, RU, TCU, with Houston and UCF is going to keep a BCS bid, and get a fair TV contract. I don't think anyone is debating that. Nelson is missing two important points, however:

1) UConn has very little ability to make a reconstituted conference happen if Louisville, TCU and WVU aren't interested in making it happen. If they are, it will happen and it will include UConn.

2) There is much more than just a remote chance (that Nelson dismisses out of hand without justification) that one or more of WVU, Louisville and/or TCU isn't around in two years. At that point any plans to salvage the conference blow up.

Not an accurate characterization of what I said.

1) Louisville, TCU, WVU, Cincinnati and USF were prepared to move forward with the Big East a week ago. UConn and Rutgers told them to buzz off. The ship may have sailed since then, but by all accounts, UConn isn't even trying to work with its current conference partners. There is absolutely nothing gained by UConn from this strategy.

2) Right now you can lock everyone in, because someone (i.e. Notre Dame) can back channel to Comcast and get an estimate, no one else has a hard offer to join another league, and the Big East has been very good to 6 of the 7 schools involved. This partnership works. Lock up a rights sharing agreement for 5 years so no one can leave, and rebuild.

I never dismissed out of hand that one of the other teams in the league might bolt off on their own. I just said that as of now, it seems unlikely for any individual school to get an invitation somewhere else, which should make them more receptive to an alternative that is not ideal. If each school has a 1 in 7 chance of escaping, it would seem like the higher probability play would be to stick together.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

#2 is exactly right. With regard to TCU, if BYU turns down the Big 12, and the Big 12 dials TCU, they're gone. In short, we're in a room full of schools, and none of these schools is in a position to trust the others. Everyone is a free agent. Each of UConn, RU, UL, Cincy and WVU would jump to another conference if offered. That creates inherent instability. Short of Penn State and ND joining the BE for football, there is no realistic potential school that could be added that would create lasting stability.

This is not to say that UConn is doomed. It's just to say that we're stuck in a very unstable situation right now, and it isn't likely to improve unless we get an invite to another conference that is stable. I think this situation is worse for UConn and Rutgers in one respect. Our eastern location and academic ideals means that there is no real option beyond the ACC, BE or B1G. Cincy, WVU, UL, USF and TCU could more easily form a new conference with other schools like ECU, Houston, SMU, Memphis etc.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
1) You have no idea how committed or not committed any of those schools are. You think you do because it supports your hypothesis, but you really have no idea. None of us do, although, signs sure do point to any of those teams bolting at the earliest opportunity. Only difference being that UConn has been honest about that fact. Also - how is UConn holding anything back in terms of rebuilding the Big East? Marinatto et al are exploring all options. Has UConn said no to anyone joining?

2) Why on earth would you assume that any of these schools would sign a 5 years rights sharing agreement at this point? I'd stake anything that if you asked any of them to chain themselves to this conference for 5 years that you would be met with peels of laughter.

Reaction Score
Not an accurate characterization of what I said.

1) Louisville, TCU, WVU, Cincinnati and USF were prepared to move forward with the Big East a week ago.

Other than the typical canned public statements, there is zero indication that this is the case.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
1) You have no idea how committed or not committed any of those schools are. You think you do because it supports your hypothesis, but you really have no idea. None of us do, although, signs sure do point to any of those teams bolting at the earliest opportunity. Only difference being that UConn has been honest about that fact. Also - how is UConn holding anything back in terms of rebuilding the Big East? Marinatto et al are exploring all options. Has UConn said no to anyone joining?

2) Why on earth would you assume that any of these schools would sign a 5 years rights sharing agreement at this point? I'd stake anything that if you asked any of them to chain themselves to this conference for 5 years that you would be met with peels of laughter.

Next time you have a project at work, blow it off, then after you miss the deadline, tell your boss that you know that no one else wanted to help you on it so that's why you didn't even try to get it done. Let me know how it goes.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Next time you have a project at work, blow it off, then after you miss the deadline, tell your boss that you know that no one else wanted to help you on it so that's why you didn't even try to get it done. Let me know how it goes.
Please. First of all, none of these schools have a boss. They are separate companies who had a deal to collaborate. They don't work for the Big East or take direction from it. If it is any of their interests to cease collaborating, that's what they will do. This isn't some project that they all think needs to get done and UConn is holding it up. It's a project that most of them hope they can skip out of, and if they have no choice to but to stick it out, will probably undertake half-heartedly.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
People act like the entire Big East got up and walked out the door, leaving UConn all to its lonesome. The Big East lost Pitt and Syracuse. Let that sink in for a minute. When the league got raided in 2003, it lost it's two best program in Miami and VTech, and Miami had been carrying the league for years. Of the 5 left, 1, Temple, had already been kicked out and Rutgers was tragically terrible. Pitt, WVU and Syracuse were just OK. Of the additions, only Louisville had accomplished anything in football, with their crowning achievement a victory over an FSU team that would finish a game above .500 that year. Two of the 8 Big East teams have been playing D1A ball for less than 3 years.

Since then, the Big East has had a tremendous run, coming within one play of playing for the National Championship on 3 different occasions (Louisville 2006, WVU 2007, Cincinnati 2009). Even with the loss of Pitt and Syracuse, the league remains the best basketball league in the country, with key programs St. Johns and Depaul showing significant improvement in the last year.

In football, the league has TCU, which finished #2 last year, WVU and USF, both in the Top 20, and the potential to add borderline Top 25 program Houston. Pitt has been solid, going 24-18 in Big East play with a few solid non-conference wins. Syracuse has gone 8-34 over that stretch. As we saw from 2005 on with programs like Louisville, Cincinnati, UConn and USF, joining a BCS conference has a big impact on recruiting and coaching stability relative to mid-majors. Now imagine Houston in a BCS conference.

The TV contract will take a hit, but will still be a huge increase over what we have given that the Syracuse and Pitt TV markets aren't exactly driving the bus anyway. People need to relax. We got into this situation because Syracuse and Pitt panicked and screwed everyone else over. More panicking will not improve the situation. The Big East will be just fine as long as everyone hangs tight, and between TCU and WVU, I would not be surprised if the league wins a National Championship in the next 5 years.

With Pitt and Cuse gone to the ACC, the best basketball has shifted to the ACC.

I'm sorry but I stopped reading when you tried to big up st johns and depaul. Good programs, butt Pitt and Cuse have been relevant alot longer when you look at the last decade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score

I think we do get a fair contract with that group of teams, and a couple more. All we need to do, when you think about it, is match whatever ESPN was recently offering that the BE rejected. Then it's a net break even. No harm no foul. But I think that with a new configuration for football - with the right configuration - we are going to get a better contract than what ESPN was offering. If we hang tough, the market will take care of things. We can allow NBC a ticket into the BCS market. Wouldn't that be sweet? It would be fun to stand up to ESPN and come out on top.

Reaction Score

I have a better analogy -- your commanding officer just sent ensigns nelson, Jurich and Luck below decks to plug a breach in the hull. The job requires all three of you. Jurich and Luck are hopping in the lifeboats. You go below decks and let me know how that goes.

Reaction Score
I have a better analogy -- your commanding officer just sent ensigns nelson, Jurich and Luck below decks to plug a breach in the hull. The job requires all three of you. Jurich and Luck are hopping in the lifeboats. You go below decks and let me know how that goes.
Let's see what happens at the meeting on Sunday. Hopefully, we can make a provisional agreement with each other to remain through 2015, one year past BCS armaggedon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom