Is UCONN Football positioning for independence? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is UCONN Football positioning for independence?

Reaction Score
If you think playing games "in the garden" would boost our "ticket sales", you don't have the right to call anyone an idiot unless you're looking in a mirror.

Reaction Score
Yes you're right in that I chose not to accept his "facts". To say that only Kentucky and maybe Duke (or another team) had a better recruiting class than us, is a joke fact. He's also saying that UCONN had a better recruiting class than everyone in the SEC and ACC (except for one team each), the NBE, the Big 10, Big 12, PAC 10, and Gonzaga. He's drinking someone's kool-aid and so are you.

That's not his analysis -- one of you is relying on your own emotions and it's not him/. I'll even admit that top 3 is a stretch, but if you include Larrier, it's tough to argue that the class was not in the top 8-10 in the country. The 247 composite had us at 8 without including Larrier.

Reaction Score
BTW - I don't remember anyone saying anything about playing all home games at MSG - he was referring to the year end tournament

No he wasn't. But if you really think he was, try and explain how ticket sales at the Garden for the conference tournament help UConn.

Reaction Score
Yes you're right in that I chose not to accept his "facts". To say that only Kentucky and maybe Duke (or another team) had a better recruiting class than us, is a joke fact. He's also saying that UCONN had a better recruiting class than everyone in the SEC and ACC (except for one team each), the NBE, the Big 10, Big 12, PAC 10, and Gonzaga. He's drinking someone's kool-aid and so are you.

Stop it. He was giving you a fact, which is that recruiting services did in fact rate our last incoming class that highly. Now, you may choose to disagree with the rankings (although I don't know on what basis you would do so as Diarra never played, the Point Guard played 2 games and Durham has not been healthy all year), but that doesn't change the fact that the rankings are what they were.

If you are judging a school's ability to recruit, as opposed to how good the coach is at finding the right players and building a team, rankings are actually at least as important as history five years down the road.

Reaction Score
I love this BS idea that the basketball team is "suffocating." They had the number 3 recruiting class in the country this year and the number 20th class next year.... Unless the AAC as a conference is somehow responsible for half the roster being injured then I don't know how the conference is "suffocating" us.... and suddenly all our home games are going to be at the Garden if we're in the new Big East? That's complete BS. Last year we were 40th in attendance.... compared to our peers our attendance is very good. You know how to fix attendance? Stop losing games.

Personally I could care less if we ever played PC, Xavier, Butler, St John's, or Seton Hall again.... who gives a rats ass.. Schedule Syracuse, Georgetown, and Villanova non-conference and I'm happy..

The only thing "suffocating" the basketball team is Ollie's inexperience as a head coach and Terry Larrier's ACL.

You're spot on. Agree with you 100%. The stupidity on this board is amazing. The only thing hold UConn back is not winning. It's not the AAC.

Reaction Score
As long as the AAC gets an automatic bid to the NCAA Tourney, ESPN and CBS broadcast conference basketball and football UConn is better off staying where they are. They still get national coverage and this gives the football program time and a platform to grow into a respectable product. Just going to have to bite the bullet til the next TV contract comes up but the AAC has proven itself. They won't get B1G dollars but they'll do better than the Big East and any G-5. If AAC football continues to compete nationally(ie; Houston and Temple winning big non conf games recently) and grow on that Aresco might be able to parlay that into Big 12 comparable money. Not quite Big 12 money but close. Remember, the AAC has something no other conference has. UConn women's basketball. Who knows how much that might count for but it does count for something when negotiating the next contract. Aresco has done a pretty good job so far.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
The only thing "suffocating" the basketball team is Ollie's inexperience as a head coach and Terry Larrier's ACL.

You were making some good points and then come up with this guffaw for likes
BTW - I don't remember anyone saying anything about playing all home games at MSG - he was referring to the year end tournament

Sure, Ollie has been coaching forever and Terry Larrier's ACL is fine. :rolleyes:

I love Ollie and think he's a great coach overall... He's beaten the best in the business... but he's also green as far as coaching goes. He wasn't an assistant for very long before he took over the HC job. It's insane to expect him to not have some bumps in the road.

And Nope he wasn't. Here's the quote: "and playing teams like St Johns, Villanova, The Hall, Georgetown, Butler, Xavier, and Providence in the Garden would definitely boost ticket sales." We get ticket sales from the year end tournament?

He was wrong from start to finish. Win the AAC... and if we're still having problems selling out the XL Center... then we'll talk.. (probably about how the XL Center needs to be replaced)

Reaction Score
Stop it. He was giving you a fact, which is that recruiting services did in fact rate our last incoming class that highly. Now, you may choose to disagree with the rankings (although I don't know on what basis you would do so as Diarra never played, the Point Guard played 2 games and Durham has not been healthy all year), but that doesn't change the fact that the rankings are what they were.

If you are judging a school's ability to recruit, as opposed to how good the coach is at finding the right players and building a team, rankings are actually at least as important as history five years down the road.
You're not looking at the big picture either, over time. If UCONN was recruiting decent big men for the past 4 years, do you think Brimah would still be starting as a senior???? Come on, the lack of depth on this team from injuries AND so-so recruiting is startling. Since the AAC, men's basketball recruiting has suffered and that is a fact. One or two decent and overated recruiting classes doesn't cut it anymore, decent incoming players is a necessity EVERY year. The list of great players that UCONN has recruited recently is still a long one but just about all of them now go elsewhere.

Reaction Score
You're not looking at the big picture either, over time. If UCONN was recruiting decent big men for the past 4 years, do you think Brimah would still be starting as a senior???? Come on, the lack of depth on this team from injuries AND so-so recruiting is startling. Since the AAC, men's basketball recruiting has suffered and that is a fact. One or two decent and overated recruiting classes doesn't cut it anymore, decent incoming players is a necessity EVERY year. The list of great players that UCONN has recruited recently is still a long one but just about all of them now go elsewhere.

I'm not looking at the big picture. You argued with what was a fact and I merely pointed out that it was a fact. Telling me "but I'm right anyway" is totally unresponsive to my post.

Reaction Score
UConn wants out of the AAC. What else is new.

UConn football will not go independent and the rest of the athletic program will not move to the NBE.

We were surprised when Fiasco was fired. Never say never.

EDIT: except for chief. I'd like to know what he is hearing ;)

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
We simply don't know that all of those issues would have gone away if UConn had gone to the ACC or Big Ten (or, for that matter, the Big 12). Maybe a dip in recruiting prior to the last 2 classes was due to being in the AAC, but there was also the NCAA ban and a period of uncertainty during the Calhoun/Ollie transition before the 2014 championship. If UConn had won out over Louisville to get n the ACC, it's not like we would have been the clear favorites to win the regular season title either.

/basketball post on the football board

Reaction Score
We simply don't know that all of those issues would have gone away if UConn had gone to the ACC or Big Ten (or, for that matter, the Big 12). Maybe a dip in recruiting prior to the last 2 classes was due to being in the AAC, but there was also the NCAA ban and a period of uncertainty during the Calhoun/Ollie transition before the 2014 championship. If UConn had won out over Louisville to get n the ACC, it's not like we would have been the clear favorites to win the regular season title either.

/basketball post on the football board
We came oh so close to getting the nod over Louisville, all the pieces were there, men's and women's b-ball championships, and other highly respected athletic programs, only thing missing was HCRE.

Reaction Score
we went into Louisville and beat a top 25 ranked team on the road on Saturday. their fans were congratulating us on getting into the ACC. The following week it was announced that Louisville was going and not us.

But yeah, HCRE. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Wasn't part of the discussion as I joined the forum in January. Sorry if this is a repeat but I haven't seen any post regarding the subject since I became a member.
No apology necessary, those who have been here long enough get the joke. welcome to the board

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Here's what a typical independent football schedule would look like: 1 FCS, Army, Brigham Young, possibly BCU, possibly Syracuse, AT any other P-5, then 6 straight games against UMASS. Not pretty.

Reaction Score
I thought UConn had one of the best recruiting classes ever this year? It is not the conference that is having a bad effect on recruiting, it is the people doing the recruiting. If recruiting is bad in the AAC, why is it that SMU, Cinci, Temple, Tulsa, seems to recruit and develop players and kick UConn's butt most of the time? I think this line of thinking here is erroneous. I hope this talk of Big East is just that, talk. It would be a very bad move. UConn has lost elite status in basketball because it has been fielding mediocre teams, at best. (I know you are all going to say we won the AAC tourney last year, we have four championships), etc. but look at the here and now and not the past. In my opinion UConn basketball is on a downward spiral. How many of us now expect the games to be losses, with the only question being how much will they lose by? They will be near the bottom of the Big East, the same way that they are near the bottom of the AAC. And for you KO lovers, next year will be a defining year for him, like it or not.

Reaction Score
Here's what a typical independent football schedule would look like: 1 FCS, Army, Brigham Young, possibly BCU, possibly Syracuse, AT any other P-5, then 6 straight games against UMASS. Not pretty.
Lashlee and Benedict couldn't get us a game at Auburn? Warde M. wouldn't play us? Or Iowa wouldn't? Their head coach, Kirk Ferentz, has deep ties to UCONN. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've mentioned it before and I've been told it is true, UConn and SNY would like to find a way to increase the relationship in a way that provides serious value for both sides. The only way I can see for that to happen is as an independent in 1 or more major sports. Just a thought. When Dave Benedict was touting the women's basketball ratings in NY the other night, I couldn't help but wonder if there was something more to it than simple bragging.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Agreed. And let's look at it so far.
1. Gilbert looked very good before getting hurt
2. Vance looks like he will be a hell of a player. Can you recall a small forward with his offensive gifts in recent years?
3. Durham is clearly young, but shows more skill than Enoch already and will likely be very good.
4. Vital...who was never supposed to play much, is actually a very capable D1 player.
5. Diarra. never played.
6. Larrier...part of the class, looked like a star and future NBA player in his limited minutes.

So there it is. It's incomplete, but based on what we've seen, yes, that's a top 5 class.

Reaction Score
This thread is interesting in that it has 2 topics which appear to be independent of each other. Like watching a game of thrones episode.

Reaction Score
Lashlee and Benedict couldn't get us a game at Auburn? Warde M. wouldn't play us? Or Iowa wouldn't? Their head coach, Kirk Ferentz, has deep ties to UCONN. Just a thought.

We could possibly get a road game, with no return, with any of those clubs. But none of them will return the visit. UMass will.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

We know that staying in the AAC is failure. Your only argument against leaving is a strawman that it will be worse if we go, which you present as if you knew this for an absolutely certainty. The only certainty we have is that the AAC has been terrible for UConn.

At least no one is still claiming that the AAC is equal to the Big East in basketball.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
We could possibly get a road game, with no return, with any of those clubs. But none of them will return the visit. UMass will.

We might manage a road + neutral (at Gillette, Met Life, whatever), that's about it.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
We know that staying in the AAC is failure. Your only argument against leaving is a strawman that it will be worse if we go, which you present as if you knew this for an absolutely certainty. The only certainty we have is that the AAC has been terrible for UConn.

At least no one is still claiming that the AAC is equal to the Big East in basketball.

I've said it before, the move of Olympic sports to the NBA can't work unless the American lets football stay, which we all believe to be unlikely.

A move of Olympics to the ACC, plus a 5 game scheduling deal for football, could work, as it does for Notre Dame. We won't get USC, MSU, Stanford etc. on the schedule, but we can fill the remaining games with BYU, Army, UMass and some others easily enough. That would be good for the ACC, would balance their schedule and lock in team #16 for the future.

Reaction Score
I've said it before, the move of Olympic sports to the NBA can't work unless the American lets football stay, which we all believe to be unlikely.

A move of Olympics to the ACC, plus a 5 game scheduling deal for football, could work, as it does for Notre Dame. We won't get USC, MSU, Stanford etc. on the schedule, but we can fill the remaining games with BYU, Army, UMass and some others easily enough. That would be good for the ACC, would balance their schedule and lock in team #16 for the future.

I don't think the NBA is focused on anything other than basketball at the Olympics. ;)

Your suggestion would be a great move for us, but what's in it for the ACC?

They don't seem to be hurt by an unbalanced schedule with FSU and Clemson both winning national championships recently. They can have us just about any time they want us. If we aren't around, there's always USF or UCF. Maybe even Navy. ND might push for them over us anyway.

What's the financial incentive for the ACC? Furthermore, BCU, Cuse, and Pitt would understand very much what that would do for us. Not only would we get to schedule them, we'd get our own money/deal with SNY. While it wouldn't be as lucrative as the ACC, it would have to be more lucrative than the AAC. Why would they help us, without helping themselves?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom