Is UCONN Football positioning for independence? | The Boneyard

Is UCONN Football positioning for independence?

Reaction Score
There is no doubt that UCONN is actively looking to get out of the AAC, but with recent reports that the basketball program maybe seeking to join the New Big East is independence an option for Football?

Reaction Score
This again? I thought groundhog day was last week?

groundhog-day-ftr1.jpg

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
How could we say there is no doubt we are seeking to get out of the AAC? Of course that is a "no doubt" if we are talking P5, but otherwise how could we say no doubt if we are talking non P5?

Reaction Score
This again? I thought groundhog day was last week?

groundhog-day-ftr1.jpg

Wasn't part of the discussion as I joined the forum in January. Sorry if this is a repeat but I haven't seen any post regarding the subject since I became a member.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I think that where we are currently - you'd have to say that all options are on the table and at least being discussed. Going independent presents a number of challenges, from scheduling to bowl access. But if UConn ever came to the conclusion that it is in their financial best interest... that would certainly change things.

Reaction Score
I think that where we are currently - you'd have to say that all options are on the table and at least being discussed. Going independent presents a number of challenges, from scheduling to bowl access. But if UConn ever came to the conclusion that it is in their financial best interest.... that would certainly change things.

If we ever entertained the idea, I don't think it could happen until we were winning again and got the bandwagon fans back. If you're independent you better fill a stadium

Reaction Score
UConn wants out of the AAC. What else is new.

UConn football will not go independent and the rest of the athletic program will not move to the NBE.
Don't be too sure about that. The men's basketball program is suffocating in the AAC. Membership in the NBE would be a shot in the arm for recruiting, and playing teams like St Johns, Villanova, The Hall, Georgetown, Butler, Xavier, and Providence in the Garden would definitely boost ticket sales. With HCRE at the helm, UCONN would definitely be OK as an independent for a couple years, and IMO is UCONN's best pathway to a P5 invite, especially from the ACC. Staying in the AAC will ultimately hurt UCONN's chances.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Don't be too sure about that. The men's basketball program is suffocating in the AAC. Membership in the NBE would be a shot in the arm for recruiting, and playing teams like St Johns, Villanova, The Hall, Georgetown, Butler, Xavier, and Providence in the Garden would definitely boost ticket sales. With HCRE at the helm, UCONN would definitely be OK as an independent for a couple years, and IMO is UCONN's best pathway to a P5 invite, especially from the ACC. Staying in the AAC will ultimately hurt UCONN's chances.
Dominating the AAC in football and getting butts in seats is the only pathway to a P5 invite. Basketball will have very little importance if and when a P5 conference decides to expand. It's nice when we get news that a women's midweek basketball game gets the highest SNY ratings of all time but that's not nearly enough.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score

I love this BS idea that the basketball team is "suffocating." They had the number 3 recruiting class in the country this year and the number 20th class next year... Unless the AAC as a conference is somehow responsible for half the roster being injured then I don't know how the conference is "suffocating" us... and suddenly all our home games are going to be at the Garden if we're in the new Big East? That's complete BS. Last year we were 40th in attendance... compared to our peers our attendance is very good. You know how to fix attendance? Stop losing games.

Personally I could care less if we ever played PC, Xavier, Butler, St John's, or Seton Hall again... who gives a rats ass.. Schedule Syracuse, Georgetown, and Villanova non-conference and I'm happy..

The only thing "suffocating" the basketball team is Ollie's inexperience as a head coach and Terry Larrier's ACL.

Reaction Score
I love this BS idea that the basketball team is "suffocating." They had the number 3 recruiting class in the country this year and the number 20th class next year.... Unless the AAC as a conference is somehow responsible for half the roster being injured then I don't know how the conference is "suffocating" us.... and suddenly all our home games are going to be at the Garden if we're in the new Big East? That's complete BS. Last year we were 40th in attendance.... compared to our peers our attendance is very good. You know how to fix attendance? Stop losing games.

Personally I could care less if we ever played PC, Xavier, Butler, St John's, or Seton Hall again.... who gives a rats ass.. Schedule Syracuse, Georgetown, and Villanova non-conference and I'm happy..

The only thing "suffocating" the basketball team is Ollie's inexperience as a head coach and Terry Larrier's ACL.
Yeah, right so only Kentucky, and take your pick had a better recruiting class than UCONN. Lol. You are a clear example why I think many Boneyard regulars have lost touch. I will reply to your jerk post with three words after this......You're an I***t.

Last edited:

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
You are a clear example why I think many Boneyard regulars have lost touch. I will reply to your jerk post with three words after this.You're an I***t.

I disagree with you and I'm a jerk? I use your term... bring up actual facts to refute your argument and the best you can do is: "You are a jerk and an idiot" You my friend have some serious issues. Go find another place to hang out if you can't handle a civil conversation. Maybe the Boneyard is "suffocating" your brilliance.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score

hehehehe... maybe I should have added that I think it has far more to do with Terry Lerrier's ACL than Ollie's coaching... and that I think we were bound to have some growing pains with the lack of experience Ollie has actually had in the coaching ranks.

Reaction Score
I disagree with you and I'm a jerk?

Yes, you are. You do not have any foresight what so ever. You didn't just disagree, you went on the attack. Which is par for the course lately, when someone posts something radically different.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Yes, you are. You do not have any foresight what so ever. You didn't just disagree, you went on the attack. Which is par for the course lately, when someone posts something radically different.
It's not radically different... it's been posted 100 times since the basketball schools left. It was a running joke with Nelson for like three years... It was silly then and it's silly now. In this age where P5 football teams are playing less and less non-conference games an independent schedule is suicide.

Reaction Score

He replied with logic and facts, which you chose not to accept.

Reaction Score
It's not radically different.... it's been posted 100 times since the basketball schools left. It was a running joke with Nelson for like three years.... It was silly then and it's silly now. In this age where P5 football teams are playing less and less non-conference games an independent schedule is suicide.
At Uconn, football may drive the bus, so to speak, like anywhere else, but men's and women's basketball pay for the gas in Storrs.

Reaction Score
He replied with logic and facts, which you chose not to accept.
Yes you're right in that I chose not to accept his "facts". To say that only Kentucky and maybe Duke (or another team) had a better recruiting class than us, is a joke fact. He's also saying that UCONN had a better recruiting class than everyone in the SEC and ACC (except for one team each), the NBE, the Big 10, Big 12, PAC 10, and Gonzaga. He's drinking someone's kool-aid and so are you.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
hehehehe.... maybe I should have added that I think it has far more to do with Terry Lerrier's ACL than Ollie's coaching.... and that I think we were bound to have some growing pains with the lack of experience Ollie has actually had in the coaching ranks.

I'm inclined to agree. I think Ollie has a lot to learn as a coach but he brings in the talent and it's hard to win without talent. The kids love him. So, to get back on track, we have to .

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

You were making some good points and then come up with this guffaw for likes
BTW - I don't remember anyone saying anything about playing all home games at MSG - he was referring to the year end tournament

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom