Is Lou The Best Transfer UConn Has Ever Had | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is Lou The Best Transfer UConn Has Ever Had

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Who you callin “salty”!
Definitely not you. That term (salty) is reserved for those posters that throw out phrases like "Azura was not a real husky" and those that let her departure from UCONN cloud their judgement of what she actually accomplished while she was there. Her numbers don't lie and I stand by the statement. One of the most productive season in UCONN WBB history on a per minute basis.

Reaction Score
That's almost not fair. That team finished 36 and 1 and lost to ND in the final four after beating ND in the regular season. How did Azura do against ND that season? 18 PPG and 8 Rebounds while averaging 27 MPG. That ND team had no matchup for Azura and IMO she should have played more considering the FF game was an OT game in which Azura only logged 28 minutes.
Yep, Geno lost the championship by not playing her more in 2nd half

Reaction Score
No. This comes up all the time. Azura Steves was the most productive UCONN transfer EVER. Some people are still salty that Azura left UCONN with eligibility remaining but she put up AA caliber numbers in her only season at UCONN.
She shot 60.8 %. led the team in RPG (7.3) and blocks, Scored 14.3 PPG while only playing just over 20 MPG.
And if Geno put her back in at the start of the 2nd half of her last game, we would've won #12.

Reaction Score
Your knowledge is severely lacking. Azura put up one of the best seasons in UCONN history when objectively analyzed on a per minute basis

You have to look at things from a per minute basis. The question was not who had the most impact over their career or who was the most liked transfer, rather it was who the best player was that transferred here. I don't recall her specific PER (player efficiency rating) that year and I'm not going to look it up right now, but I remember it was very very good. Probably among the best for a non starter in the entire country and better than 95% of the starters.

Maybe a decent comparison might be Cardosa at South Carolina. They have the best starting C and the best backup C in the country. Both she and Azura are tall but very different players, and both superstar substitutes on exceptional teams with great players ahead of them. there are only a handfull if that of teams that Cardosa would not start for, and the same was true for Azura back then.

Reaction Score
will bring up Brittany Hunter just because she deserves to be mentioned.

On paper she was the most heralded transfer ever to come into the program, a former HS POY who may have wanted to be a Husky all along. She did deliver to an extent, displaying her obvious skills and determination when in the game, even providing psychological boosts to a program that had experienced a downturn, but an ailing body limited her playing time.
I came here to say just this. And Geno et al. figured out how to capitalize on her limited playing time. They managed her so well that she could contribute at a high level.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think that she is the best when it comes to providing an immediate impact.
Lou is doing very well for UCONN and much better than some of anticipated. Keep in mind that Azura was required to sit a year upon her arrival at UCONN because that was the NCAA rule at the time. Once she was eligible to play her impact was also immediate because KLS went down with in in jury in the Cal ( 2nd game of the season) which forced Azura into the starting line up. Azura was stellar in those starts. #15 Maryland she had 18 Points and 12 Rebounds: #5 UCLA 6 Points 5 rebounds: Michigan Sate 25 Points and 16 rebounds; Nevada 17 Points 14 rebounds ; #3 ND ( Not a starter) 17 Points 8 rebounds.

Reaction Score
Your knowledge is severely lacking. Azura put up one of the best seasons in UCONN history when objectively analyzed on a per minute basis
Factually you are correct. Azura put up one of the best seasons in UCONN history. Interestingly, for many of us that's not the perception that she had created when she left the way she did.

Whether or not some of us had our judgement clouded is a matter of opinion, not fact.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, but I don't consider Azura a real Husky. She sat a year, played the next, not to my knowledge a great year, still learning the UConn way. She had the chance to really contribute but decided to bolt for the WNBA. No loyalty to our program when she could have been the difference maker in our quest for the NC. She turned our back on us, and that I can't forget. I'm sorry to feel this way, but I do. The best transfers are Lou and Evina by far. Evinas contribution was emence, not only the playing but the assistence she gave to our freshmen. Lou, already she has shown how valuable she is, and she is showing that she IS a true Husky.
I do not have an opinion on what is a “true” Husky to another person. I am just wondering if Autumn Chassion was a true Husky? How about Morgan Tuck or Megan Walker, both who if they returned for another year would have probably won the national championship. I personally still am not happy with Samari Walker, and Torino on the men’s side, for leaving, but what is the definition of a “true” Husky?

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Factually you are correct. Azura put up one of the best seasons in UCONN history. Interestingly, for many of us that's not the perception that she had created when she left the way she did.

Whether or not some of us had our judgement clouded is a matter of opinion, not fact.
I stand by that opinion and would actually like to double down. That "clouded judgement" (by a few ) is also applicable to Natalie Butler, Morgan Tuck, and Megan Walker. Because these players chose to leave UCONN with remaining eligibility the on court UCONN performances as readily diminished and they are called "disloyal" and "not real Huskies".

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
From what I've seen so far, I'd say she's the "best fit" transfer UCONN has had. She's come in and hit the ground running and seems to fit in quite well.

Stevens unquestionably was the most talented transfer, but I don't think her addition improved UCONN in 2017-18 due to roster personnel and how her addition affected players like Collier/Williams, both of whom were not as good as they were in 2016-17.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I stand by that opinion and would actually like to double down. That "clouded judgement" (by a few ) is also applicable to Natalie Butler, Morgan Tuck, and Megan Walker. Because these players chose to leave UCONN with remaining eligibility the on court UCONN performances as readily diminished and they are called "disloyal" and "not real Huskies".
I agree with your overall point, with a little nuance.

I don’t think many had a “clouded judgement” regarding Butler and Tuck. Most BY folks supported their departure for what they considered were understandable reasons.

If anything, I think Walker might have been faulted even more for leaving early.

Not saying what my position is, just making an observation.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While Lou is not the most talented basketball player to transfer to UConn, so far this season she has meshed better with this team than any other transfer in the history of UConn WBB imo. She has done so because of her talent, experience, exceptional basketball IQ and a level of confidence to take and make big shots.

Z was an exceptionally talented transfer. But there was always a problem with her meshing with that UConn team. Specifically, Z and Pheesa both were at their best in the low post on offense, and only one could fill that role at a time, forcing UConn to either sit the other or play them out of position.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think it can be said that Lou absolutely has integrated into the team better than any other transfer, but that is also a product of the situation she has entered. With Paige out for the year and Caroline sidelined to start the year she was needed to immediately start. And then when Dorka was injured after two games, the need was increased.

No question in my mind that without the injuries her contributions would have been reduced and we might not be raving about her as much. This is not a criticism, just noting that if she were coming off the bench as a 'quick offense' option it would be the sort of role initially imagined by both the coaches and Lou when she first committed. And we as fans wouldn't be quite so impressed.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I think it can be said that Lou absolutely has integrated into the team better than any other transfer, but that is also a product of the situation she has entered. With Paige out for the year and Caroline sidelined to start the year she was needed to immediately start. And then when Dorka was injured after two games, the need was increased.

No question in my mind that without the injuries her contributions would have been reduced and we might not be raving about her as much. This is not a criticism, just noting that if she were coming off the bench as a 'quick offense' option it would be the sort of role initially imagined by both the coaches and Lou when she first committed. And we as fans wouldn't be quite so impressed.
You realist you. How un-Boneyard!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Oh yes, the topic at hand. I think Momma E has a lot of intangibles going for her.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
From what I've seen so far, I'd say she's the "best fit" transfer UCONN has had. She's come in and hit the ground running and seems to fit in quite well.
Stevens unquestionably was the most talented transfer, but I don't think her addition improved UCONN in 2017-18 due to roster personnel and how her addition affected players like Collier/Williams, both of whom were not as good as they were in 2016-17.
I have to disagree on a couple levels. I didn't assume the OP was seeking a "talent" assessment but rather an impact/value of their performance after their arrival at UCONN. A simple talent evaluation of a healthy Hunter, Westbrook, Stevens, LLS might result in that exact order. So although Evina would be ranked as more talented than LLS we would not be even debating this thread if LLS UCONN Impact ( so far) has not more than Evina's. BTW a version of this exact same thread a few years ago -Was Evina UCONN best transfer ever.
I think you are severely underestimating Azura's importance to that '17-'18 team. @diggerfoot has correctly alluded to the chemistry issues between Collier and Stevens. It is well document Collier had her worst season while playing with Stevens.
Gabby had a slight regression in performance but almost all of that was due to her hip issue and had nothing to do with Azura.
If you want to look for additional Azura value to that team consider:
1) See my previous pos. KLS was hurt in game 2 she actually missed playing in what was supposed to be her home coming game at UCLA- Azura stepped in and put up big numbers as a starter.
2) Without Azura on the roster the teams' 6th man would have been Megan Walker. Although she showed flashes as a freshman Walker would not have been good enough as a freshman to be 6th man for a FF 36 and 1 team and accomplish item 1 above. As a reminder, Megan walker was a healthy DNP Coaches decision in the FF OT loss to ND while Azura was putting up 19 points on 8 for 12 shooting.
3) The eventual National Champion that season was ND which had Jessica Shepard gifted as immediate eligible. Azura was UCONN best player in both games against ND that season. If you really want to see an example of Azura's value that season just watch the last quarter of the first ND game when UCONN trailed by double digits and Azura was front and center in that come back .

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Correct. To me Lou really wanted to come to Uconn and the fact that Azura's quick departure showed Uconn was just a stepping stone. I will say Lou is the best because of her 3 pointers and scoring. No Knock on Dorka, But Lou fit in the second she arrived and it took Dorka a season for the same results. I would say Evina was an exceptional player, but in a different way. She was quiet and a steadying influence on the team. Lou is lights out. GO HUSKIES!!!
:eek:UCONN (all colleges for that matter) is a stepping stone for everyone not just Azura.

Reaction Score
Megan Walker could have stayed two more seasons with the 5th year Covid extra year. Could she have made a difference against AZ 2 years ago and SC last year? Sure Hindsight can be many different things. She kinda got chewed up and spit out in the WNBA. She still is not on the wall. Would she have been much better suited for the WNBA last summer had she stayed?

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I would think that Rita Williams' transfer from Mitchell College to UConn would get mentioned with the best all time transfers.

Reaction Score
OK, but IMO I would never put Morgan Tuck in the same category.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom