Is Lou The Best Transfer UConn Has Ever Had | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Is Lou The Best Transfer UConn Has Ever Had

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Rita Williams entered UConn from Mitchell College. If memory serves me correctly, Mitchell was a junior college at the time and not a four year collegiate institution. Therefore, technically Rita was not a transfer. Mitchell has since upgraded its status to a four-year college.
Rita was not a transfer, she went on Ju Co on UCONN's decison
That is an insignificant semantic distinction. For the purpose of this thread a transfer is someone who did not start their WCBB career playing for UCONN.

Reaction Score
That is an insignificant semantic distinction. For the purpose of this thread a transfer is someone who did not start their WCBB career playing for UCONN.
Respectfully I disagree. It is not just a matter of semantics. A transfer would have to sit out a year (exception: Notre Dame).

Reaction Score
Amazing how many boneyarders said she would not be that good when facing “real” D1 competition. She out played the “UConn regulars” against an excellent ND team! I think she is the real deal and am great full she chose to come to UConn if only for one year!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
No, it’s not. Rita was going to go to UConn out of high school but needed a couple more classes to qualify academically. She went to nearby Mitchell to get all NCAA required coursework completed, then she transferred in. Rita was anyways going to UConn

Reaction Score
Amazing how many boneyarders said she would not be that good when facing “real” D1 competition. She out played the “UConn regulars” against an excellent ND team! I think she is the real deal and am great full she chose to come to UConn if only for one year!
I shudder to think what our record might be today and going forward without LLS. She has been indispensable so far. I know it's early and really too soon to place her on a pedestal ahead of other transfers, but I'm not sure anyone has had the impact on a UCONN team like she has so far. If Azzi is not 100%, we may have to rely on LLS and Edwards as our primary offensive weapons, the contributions of Muhl, Ducharme, Griffin, and Juharz notwithstanding. Yesterday, against a team that made us look overmatched. she scored the most points for either team (matching ND's Miles) on 7 of 17 shooting (3 for 5 from the 3) in spite of quickly becoming the main focus of the ND defense once Azzi left the game.

Reaction Score
I never can understand why Geno didn't play Azura more in the 4th period vs ND as she was a major problem for ND when she was on the court!
IMO she left because of how Geno used her in that game! She didn't feel Geno appreciated her game enough to come back!
If she played that whole 4th period I believe UCONN would have won the NCAA Championship!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I never can understand why Geno didn't play Azura more in the 4th period vs ND as she was a major problem for ND when she was on the court!
IMO she left because of how Geno used her in that game! She didn't feel Geno appreciated her game enough to come back!
If she played that whole 4th period I believe UCONN would have won the NCAA Championship!
Or could it be that somehow Geno was aware that Azura had already decided to leave for the WNBA? She may have felt that there were many other players that would be eligible in the next draft that might make her draft value go down? Don't draft eligible players consult with "experts" on things like this?

I am in no way suggesting that this is what happened, just offering an alternative (conspiracy) theory. :)

Reaction Score
I don’t go back as far as many of you on the BY, so I would love to hear your feedback.
No one mentioning Rita Williams who had a very productive 3 years at Uconn.
I thought the post player that transferred in from Duke, I think, really made a difference for UConn. She is playing in the WNBA and doing well, left before her senior season.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
That's almost not fair. That team finished 36 and 1 and lost to ND in the final four after beating ND in the regular season. How did Azura do against ND that season? 18 PPG and 8 Rebounds while averaging 27 MPG. That ND team had no matchup for Azura and IMO she should have played more considering the FF game was an OT game in which Azura only logged 28 minutes.
I just (re)watched that game and completely agree with you: I was very glad Geno didn't put her back in the game. The odd part is that it seemed to be either Azura or Crystal in. Crystal hit key three at the end, but Azura was pushing Sheppard, Westbeld (Kat) and KoKo Nelson hard. To my mind, that's the best transfer UConn brought to the floor.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
If she scores 20 points in the National Championship game and UConn wins, then yes. ;)

Reaction Score
C6C31477-2B00-499D-8C14-C43B9559524B.jpeg

Reaction Score
I don't recall many of them, but I think the list would start with Azura, Lou might be in the conversation after that, but also with Dorka, and Natalie Butler didn't play many minutes, but was a very good backup C for us.
Interesting, Natalie probably was a Back Up Post, but I didn't see her that way. She wasn't as great within the UConn system as she was before and after Uconn. After she was a mighty big fish in a bit smaller pond. Intelligent nice lady. There were a number of mostly forgetable players one or two were good for the heart.
Lou, is one of a kind. Skills rarely seen, mentality/psychological make up that accepts things she can't change and plays every moment exceptionally well. As for shooting skills, I doubt any transfers, and many outright Uconn players shot as well as Lou. She's a gift without getting religious, I extremely pleased she chose Uconn as her second USA team.

Reaction Score
Azure was a talented forward and highly regarded by all who saw her play. She wasn't a POST.
Forgive me if I disagree with her staying another year, I thought she did the right thing for Azure. I have doubts she would have been much better in the post, I don't think (my conjecture) she WANTED to be a Post and departed because she felt that way---pure conjecture on my part. I doubt another year with her would have changed that year. Yet, between she and Lou, I'll take Lou.

Reaction Score
I would like to toss Brittany Hunter's name in the hopper. Not the most successful transfer because of injuries, but probably the most skilled and a terrific teammate.
Oh thank you. I couldn't remember Brittany Hunter---super great young lady, talented and physically damage. She's the one I have to remember when I get down on GENO. His compassion flowed with that lady as part of his team. Her few minutes TALENTED minutes warmed the cold husky fans hearts.

Reaction Score
I will definitely revive the question at the end of the season.
I'm not one to usually select a new player as anything, I'm usually a wait and see type. Caroline as a Frosh, won my attention and belief she was terrific. Lou took a bit longer, but numbers and her attitude made me believe. It may change by April but I have my doubts.

Reaction Score
A lot of this thread centered on kids leaving early. Please consider this from a different perspective. What's the most important thing to the folks on the BY? Winning an NC, of course. What's the most important thing to a kid playing college basketball? I submit for many, certainly not all, it's fulfilling a lifelong dream of making it to the WNBA. Can you fault a kid for leaving early and chasing their dream? Delay the dream because we on the BY think there ought to be some overriding sense of loyalty? My advice would be to make the best, smartest decision and always look out for number 1.

Reaction Score
I don't recall many of them, but I think the list would start with Azura, Lou might be in the conversation after that, but also with Dorka, and Natalie Butler didn't play many minutes, but was a very good backup C for us.
I know you didn’t just include Natalie Butler with Lou, Dorka, and Z. She seems like a nice girl but she was absolutely atrocious on the court.

Reaction Score
Way too early to compare Lou. Azura is top transfer for me. IMO, probably Geno's biggest coaching mistake was sitting Azura to start the 2nd half in the ND semifinal. We had the better team & more talent that year.
I watched that game in person and scratched my head as to why Azura was playing in the second half. She controlled the game when on the floor. Perhaps news got out that this was her last game. Who really knows? It was our game to win.

Reaction Score
Respectfully I disagree. It is not just a matter of semantics. A transfer would have to sit out a year (exception: Notre Dame).
So, how did the young lady get to UCONN... if she did not "transfer"? It is somewhat a matter of
semantics. Semantics are important. But definitions also count. Before a debate it is important to
define your terms. If there are two different definitions being used, then the debate has not really
started in earnest. One example would be to agree to the NCAA 's definition, reasonable right? Another
would be a non-NCAA version, e.g. ; The NEW WORLD DICTIONARY...
(trans : across, over, to pass : and Ferre: to bear ) 1. to convey, carry, remove, or send from
one person, place, or position to another. You can be both right... just using different definitions!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom