Is a hot dog considered a sandwich? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is a hot dog considered a sandwich?

Reaction Score
Newton and Diarra have good takes.

I say no way but it’s an interesting question I’ve never thought about! :oops:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Like many things, it seems simple enough to prepare but you don't know what great falafel and hummus are until you actually get it. It's ubiquitous nowadays so a lot of places do it okay but the real deal stuff is a whole other level.

It's like pizza...how hard can dough, sauce and cheese be and there's not many great pizza joints.

Much like a meatball, a good falafel isn't compressed in to the most dense form possible. Nice and light, just enough pressure to form the shape and make sure your oil is nice and hot.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Lucky where I live, all our tortillas are coming from tortillerias in the city or from the restaurant you're ordering them from and they always use corn. I don't make enchiladas at home because they do it a lot better than I would.
If it's a wheat tortilla, that ain't an enchilada it's a burrito.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I Guess If You Say So GIF

In my younger days when kids roamed my house and all sorts of basic food math would go awry- buy a pack of hot dogs and a pack of buns, 8 of each; I'd look in the fridge and see a couple of dogs left but no buns in the pantry. More than once I did my dad duty and used soft tacos as my bun for hot dogs.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
In my younger days when kids roamed my house and all sorts of basic food math would go awry- buy a pack of hot dogs and a pack of buns, 8 of each; I'd look in the fridge and see a couple of dogs left but no buns in the pantry. More than once I did my dad duty and used soft tacos as my bun for hot dogs.
Here's how that usually played out in our house:

1371597317761.jpeg

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Of course, this had to be a Yankee fan wearing a school girl skirt patterned plaid hat.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Gluten rules. If I have fresh, homemade corn tortillas, sure, but personally I actually like the ones that are corn/wheat hybrids from the store as opposed to straight corn. The texture (chew/elasticity, etc.) is so much better; store-bought straight corn tortillas are like cardboard (across like 10 different brands I've tried).
Because they are made without any oil or fat, so are dry, fall apart and crumble. Try frying up a soft corn tortilla in a non stick pan with just a tiny bit of olive oil.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
That’s my fallback when I don’t have the right processed meat for salami and eggs, which is one of my true food kryptonites.

Had a ham, egg and cheese sandwich on toasted chiabatta this morning. Spot on good. I put the deli ham slices in the air fryer to dry it out some and give it some bite and texture.

Reaction Score
Yes. that's not even debatable.
My definition of a sandwich is putting something between two separate slices of bread, like ham & cheese, roast beef, fried eggs, BLT’s, chicken salad, a Reuben, a Hero, or toasted cheese etc. When you slice a bun or a small loaf vertically along its length, is when you get away from a sandwich and more towards grinders, hot dogs, or a wedge. So I would say a hotdog is not a sandwich.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
How about apple pie? Sandwich or no?

No, it's a pie. Hence the name apple pie and not apple sandwich.

It's almost like there's a whole book to help differentiate these things.

Reaction Score
If you consider a sausage grinder a sandwich, you have to also consider a hot dog in a bun a sandwich. After all a hot dog is technically a sausage. Meat inside a casing.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
“Taco”

“a Mexican dish consisting of a fried tortilla, typically folded, filled with various mixtures, such as seasoned meat, beans, lettuce, and tomatoes.”

The logic makes sense in my head to call it a taco. But according to the actual definition the carb must be a fried tortilla. So I’m going with sandwhich. This should also be a poll.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Dude, your posts make me laugh. I’m not making the argument that falafel is better tasting that shawarma. I love me a platter of fatty lamb (or dark meat turkey) slivers marinated in turmeric and pepper. Most people do. I’m simply standing up for authentic falafel. And 99% of falafels globally are not made from peas. Chickpeas, bro. Next time you’re in Philly, go hit Mike Solomonov’s Goldie and get yourself his falafel and a techina shake. Will blow your mind. Speaking of pita sandwiches, get a proper sabich too!
'And 99% of falafels globally are not made from peas.'
arbus. garbanzo. chick-pea. it's right there on the label!
c'mon, man!

Reaction Score
My definition of a sandwich is putting something between two separate slices of bread, like ham & cheese, roast beef, fried eggs, BLT’s, chicken salad, a Reuben, a Hero, or toasted cheese etc. When you slice a bun or a small loaf vertically along its length, is when you get away from a sandwich and more towards grinders, hot dogs, or a wedge. So I would say a hotdog is not a sandwich.
Where do hard rolls fit in your definition?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
“Taco”

“a Mexican dish consisting of a fried tortilla, typically folded, filled with various mixtures, such as seasoned meat, beans, lettuce, and tomatoes.”

The logic makes sense in my head to call it a taco. But according to the actual definition the carb must be a fried tortilla. So I’m going with sandwhich. This should also be a poll.
'Taco,' as far as im concerned.

don't get me wrong. i luv, luv, luv me some Mexican food, Spanish food, comida boriqueno, all of it. outstanding, but that cracker sandwich ain't one of them.
don't really care for ritz crackers, either. too oily/buttery/chemically.

it's never 'putting on the ritz' when ur stuck eating tacos, unless you're in grammar school. once upon a time, taco bell was in Westbrook. got laughed off the stage. we're kinda food snobs around these parts. of all the chains that got their doors blown off around here over time, only one still stands (actually 2. one in Saybrook and one in Clinton), and thrives. the king! Micky D's! it's a sammich joint.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom