Iona | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Iona

Reaction Score
As for the UConn game, Pitino noted that his bigs — 6-foot-9 Nelly Junior Joseph and 7-footers Silas Sunday and Osborn Shema — will have to handle their business against UConn’s 7-2 Donovan Clingan and 6-9 Adama Sanogo.

“They’re going to have to handle their bigs at Connecticut.,” Pitino said. “Silas Sunday is going to have to play a lot of minutes in this game.”

Reaction Score
He finished 5th in the conference in assists. He brings the ball up most of the time. He’s frequently guarding the other teams point guard. He’s our best dribble penetrator. I feel like I’m going insane.

It’s not just you. It’s a truly insane experience to watch a game where he’s distributing the ball over the court, getting shots for everyone, and post-game the lament is that he’s the reason we lost. It’s some twilight zone but that’s this board.

Reaction Score
I think we've done a fairly good job handling pressure this year. We've had a few moments where things have fallen apart, but those have also come under mental lapses up big. Iowa State played that style and we beat their press for scoring opportunities not just up the floor.

Andre Jackson is one of the best open court players in the country.
The press break is gonna be key. It’s a little bit slow for us. Andre is the fastest guy we have, he will be needed because they are gonna pressure the hell out of Newton.

Reaction Score
You would hope by this point in the season and early this week Hurley has the team well prepared for the following things to come:

1. Full Court Pressure a.k.a Newton getting trapped in the corner every time

2. The double team coming at Sanogo when he gets the ball anywhere near the paint

3. A defender in Hawkins grill at all times / face guarding him

You can guarantee every opposing coach has watched our film especially our losses and its not hard to pick up on our weaknesses.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Or they think we’re a good team. The idea that the media is “over correcting” and making picks they don’t believe in because they’ve picked against UConn in the past ridiculous. Is that really what you think is happening?
I think us being a good team combined with the nostalgia of how we have a tendency to make unlikely runs plays into why they think a 4 seed would win an NC yes. Something that has been done once this century by, you guessed it, us in 2014.

Even though the current coach has no history of success in the tournament.

caw

Reaction Score
As for the UConn game, Pitino noted that his bigs — 6-foot-9 Nelly Junior Joseph and 7-footers Silas Sunday and Osborn Shema — will have to handle their business against UConn’s 7-2 Donovan Clingan and 6-9 Adama Sanogo.

“They’re going to have to handle their bigs at Connecticut.,” Pitino said. “Silas Sunday is going to have to play a lot of minutes in this game.”

If Silas Sunday is the reason UConn loses, it just wasn't meant to be. Dude averages 5 MPG and 2/2. His high this year is 13 minutes.

Reaction Score
Their starting center is 7 ft and then they have an athletic Nelly Joseph at 6 ft 9..they have the bodies to stop Sanogo
Does not mean they will compete with AS and DC. We should be out for blood, we are better than them in every position. Typical BY.

Reaction Score
I think us being a good team combined with the nostalgia of how we have a tendency to make unlikely runs plays into why they think a 4 seed would win an NC yes. Something that has been done once this century by, you guessed it, us in 2014.

Even though the current coach has no history of success in the tournament.

I know that some of you hate to hear it, but there is actually empirical support this season for a prediction that UConn make the final four. The only people that think it’s crazy or the product of “nostalgia” are on this board. The same people who recommend that the coaching staff read basketball strategy books in the off season.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

Clingan demands 15-20 minutes a game in this tournament. I really don’t want to comment on why he only played 5 in the first half and 6 in the second.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
If Silas Sunday is the reason UConn loses, it just wasn't meant to be. Dude averages 5 MPG and 2/2. His high this year is 13 minutes.
Don’t worry, if we lose you’ll get the annual, “of course he goes off against us and is ice cold the next game.”

Reaction Score
Clingan demands 15-20 minutes a game in this tournament. I really don’t want to comment on why he only played 5 in the first half and 6 in the second.
I agree. When we ran through the Nike Tournament, Clingan was a primary factor.

caw

Reaction Score
Don’t worry, if we lose you’ll get the annual, “of course he goes off against us and is ice cold the next game.”

Their guards I could see going off, they are pretty good in the backcourt.

Sunday, no, just no. He literally has more zero point games than scoring games and his high in points is 6. If he is the reason Iona wins, hang me next year.

Reaction Score
Didn’t want to land Oral Roberts, Drake, Kent State or Charleston in the opening game, so this feels decent. Iona and Rick Pitino are known entities…mentally prepare for a tough game.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I know that some of you hate to hear it, but there is actually empirical support this season for a prediction that UConn make the final four. The only people that think it’s crazy or the product of “nostalgia” are on this board. The same people who recommend that the coaching staff read basketball strategy books in the off season.
I get it on the surface. Undefeated OOC, another big run at the end of the season, but Hurley just really has to prove he can win one of these big games before making that big of a leap in my nobody opinion.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Getting away from Big East refs is going to be a breath of fresh air. Part of the reason we struggled against the press at times is because teams can get physical with our guards and fouls won't be called. We're not going to see that in the NCAAs.

Reaction Score

Wow they have 2 7 footers.

Reaction Score
We have played as well as anybody for the past month. Our 2 losses have been by a combined 5 points. One to a 3 seed on the road and the other to a 2 seed in the big east semi. In which we lost by 2 in an evenly matched game. We’re having some January PTSD here. We’re rolling, and we should stomp Iona. Get all of that fear out of here. Let’s Go Huskies!!!

Reaction Score

Their 7'0 center is only listed at 220 lbs. He's about to get bodied.

Reaction Score
We have played as well as anybody for the past month. Our 2 losses have been by a combined 5 points. One to a 3 seed on the road and the other to a 2 seed in the big east semi. In which we lost by 2 in an evenly matched game. We’re having some January PTSD here. We’re rolling, and we should stomp Iona. Get all of that fear out of here. Let’s Go Huskies!!!
I think that is what it is as well as PTSD from the last 2 NCAATs. We were all on a high on Dec 30th and then the Xavier loss came then the tough 2-6 stretch reared it's ugly head.

Reaction Score
Donovan Clingan will make a huge difference in the Iona game. He is ready. Danny will have to play him as Adama will be in foul trouble.
what?! why would you say Sanogo will be foul trouble so surely?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I get it on the surface. Undefeated OOC, another big run at the end of the season, but Hurley just really has to prove he can win one of these big games before making that big of a leap in my nobody opinion.
Sweet 16 at least. People are picking this team to win the NC or get to the final four.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom