Iona | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Iona

Reaction Score
We lost more games in the Big East. It goes both ways.
And? Overall who lost more games? Beating Alabama, Iowa St., Oklahoma St (last 4 out), is more impressive than their win over West Virginia. Plus, a loss to DePaul is a much worse loss than anything we had. We didn't lose to teams with losing records, and they did

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
And? Overall who lost more games? Beating Alabama, Iowa St., Oklahoma St (last 4 out), is more impressive than their win over West Virginia. Plus, a loss to DePaul is a much worse loss than anything we had. We didn't lose to teams with losing records, and they did
They went 25-9; we went 25-8 against a less difficult schedule. They swept us. End of story.

Reaction Score
Still trying to figure out how we beat the overall #1 by 15 on a neutral court (I know it was a long time ago) and be a 4?

Reaction Score
They went 25-9; we went 25-8 against a less difficult schedule. They swept us. End of story.
What is this "less difficult" stuff?

UConn beat Alabama, the #1 team in the nation.

They beat Cincinnati.

They lost to DePaul.

Anyway you cut it, we had the better season.

When UConn faced teams like Iowa St and Alabama, they beat them. Xavier lost to those teams.

caw

Reaction Score
They went 25-9; we went 25-8. They swept us. End of story.

That is probably more accurate than what you were saying before.

I think them sweeping UConn was one of two factors putting X ahead. The other is related though. They beat PC and UConn on the road. The committee said earlier and showed they favored road wins against Q1 teams.

The only thing I am surprised about is that X got the benefit of the doubt even with the season ending injury to Freemantle. Their record without him is not impressive, and that kind of negates them beating UConn twice with him (I mean their current team did not beat UConn and usually those types of injuries do move teams down a notch).

They were 8-4 without him. Two of those losses were to Marquette but two were to Nova and Butler. They did beat PC twice and Creighton once. The committee must have loved that PC road win without Freemantle.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
4:30 tip on Friday - I'll be rushing home from work like a madman.

Jay Bilas just picked us to beat Duke in the NC game. Hmm....
I think a lot of folks are looking at our program history when making that pick. They’ve slept on us in the past so they’re trying to overcorrect.

Would be crazy for Hurley to go from never making a sweet 16 to NC game.

Reaction Score
Quick name an Iona player without googling. The zeal with which some of you predict doom and gloom after a two point loss to a 2 seed is really something. You would think they got blown out by Marquette like Xavier did.

Pitino vs UConn

shizzle787

Reaction Score
What is this "less difficult" stuff?

UConn beat Alabama, the #1 team in the nation.

They beat Cincinnati.

They lost to DePaul.

Anyway you cut it, we had the better season.

When UConn faced teams like Iowa St and Alabama, they beat them. Xavier lost to those teams.
They played Gonzaga, Duke, Florida, WVU, Cincy, and Indiana. 5/11 opponents were P6 + Cincy (high-major) + 5 cupcakes. 5/11 of our opponents were P6 with six cupackes (including the worst team in D1-LIU).

They played 4 tournament teams, we played two. They played 3 top-16 teams; we played one.

They only reason they had an additional loss is because they advanced unlike us to the BET title game.

I have now proven they played a more difficult schedule, and they swept us. They had a better season.

Reaction Score
I don't think he has Marquette's roster.
Exactly. Hawkins was gloved twice against Marquette because Proper is 6'8", lighthing quick, so Hawkins can't shoot over him and struggles on drives. In the game in Hartford, Prosper got into early foul trouble, and Hawkins lit them up against the same D (running guys at Hawkins). You need a taller kid to play him who is willing to play D hard all game. I don't think Iona has anyone like that. Their pressure may get to us, but if we break it, we should get easy transition baskets. Hurley has all week to work on press break. He does that and has they ready, we should be fine.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
How many other 13 seeds are 2 hours from home? Getting huge Cuse-Vermont in Worcester vibes

Reaction Score
This is the hubris we don’t need.
Yup. We've got no business calling anyone trash until we start stringing together a few tourney wins ourselves. There are plenty of folks online hopping on the Iona bandwagon for their "big" upset considering our recent underperformance in the Dance. And the "trash" in question happens to have a W vs Gonzaga.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Pitino vs UConn
Yeah, I saw that comedy sketch, but it was Mike Ditka vs the Giants

th (3).jpg

Reaction Score
I think a lot of folks are looking at our program history when making that pick. They’ve slept on us in the past so they’re trying to overcorrect.

Would be crazy for Hurley to go from never making a sweet 16 to NC game.

Or they think we’re a good team. The idea that the media is “over correcting” and making picks they don’t believe in because they’ve picked against UConn in the past ridiculous. Is that really what you think is happening?

Reaction Score
They played Gonzaga, Duke, Florida, WVU, Cincy, and Indiana. 5/11 opponents were P6 + Cincy (high-major) + 5 cupcakes. 5/11 of our opponents were P6 with six cupackes (including the worst team in D1-LIU).

They played 4 tournament teams, we played two. They played 3 top-16 teams; we played one.

They only reason they had an additional loss is because they advanced unlike us to the BET title game.

I have now proven they played a more difficult schedule, and they swept us. They had a better season.
But again, they lost! Their wins are WV and Cincy. Does not compare to Alabama and Iowa St

Cupcakes are cupcakes. Those are irrelevant. Both played 5. So irrelevant.

We didn't lose to teams with losing records either

shizzle787

Reaction Score
The thing I’m most looking forward to about our run in this years tournament is the Hurley haters stfu.
As someone in that camp, I hope he proves us wrong.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
But again, they lost! Their wins are WV and Cincy. Does not compare to Alabama and Iowa St

Cupcakes are cupcakes. Those are irrelevant. Both played 5. So irrelevant.

We didn't lose to teams with losing records either
We played six cupcakes-not five. Xavier was two games better than us in conference play and swept us. They get the nod. If Xavier plays our OOC schedule they go no worse than 9-2. Combine that with their BE results and they have a better SOR (24-7).

Reaction Score

We played six cupcakes-not five. Xavier was two games better than us in conference play and swept us. They get the nod.
This is why I said DON'T play a strong OOC. It's irrelevant to the committee. All that counts is conference season. If you beat the #1 team in the nation, who cares?????!! Same as beating Cincy!

Reaction Score
This is why I said DON'T play a strong OOC. It's irrelevant to the committee. All that counts is conference season. If you beat the #1 team in the nation, who cares?????!! Same as beating Cincy!
If this was true Rutgers would have made it. Their OOC SOS was like #320

Reaction Score
Boy that MAAC conference. Quinnipiac is the 2nd best team with a NET of 175. Everyone else is over 200. Quinnipiac lost in the first round of their tournament to Marist, a team with 20 losses. How does Iona have a NET of 59?

UConn has to come out blazing and make this easy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom