OT: - Interesting Facts (history, geography, science, etc.) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Interesting Facts (history, geography, science, etc.)

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The Mom from the movie A Christmas Story, also played Hanrahan’s wife who hooks up with Paul Newman in Slapshot.

Her name is Melinda Dillon.
Same year as "Slapshot," she was the mom in "Close Encounters of the Third Kind."

Hitler really screwed up in not utilizing Tirpitz.
I'm OK with that.

My entire family, for generations back, consists of nothing but ancestors.

This is true for me as well, and yet, we're not related.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Posted on Facebook by a TV actor of some note...

Red hair first appeared as the result of a genetic mutation with the first documented case of natural-born redhead occurring in Scotland.
  • Less than 2% of the world's population have red hair.
  • Scotland boasts the highest percentage of natural redheads while Ireland comes in second.
  • Natural redheads are rare,the gene is recessive,meaning both parents must each be carrying the recessive gene for their child to have red hair.
  • Natural red hair is less likely to go gray.
  • A redhead’s ability to produce a pheomelanin also allows them to have a higher resistance to pain.
Two of my three daughters are redheads.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Take a better anatomy course.
Guess I need to. Doesn't the heart pump the blood through the arteries? (and arteries carry blood from the heart, while veins return blood to the heart)

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Guess I need to. Doesn't the heart pump the blood through the arteries?

"To get blood through the blue whale’s large body, it has massive arteries, which pump blood through the heart and into its major vital organs."

They screwed up trying to dumb it down for the average reader. There are arteries feeding the heart muscle, and arteries that leave the heart and bring O2 and nutrients to vital organs, and the rest of the body.

And then there is the pulmonary artery and pulmonary vein ...

Poorly written article, I'll give you that much. Doesn't in any way dispute what op claimed.

Reaction Score
"To get blood through the blue whale’s large body, it has massive arteries, which pump blood through the heart and into its major vital organs."

They screwed up trying to dumb it down for the average reader. There are arteries feeding the heart muscle, and arteries that leave the heart and bring O2 and nutrients to vital organs, and the rest of the body.

And then there is the pulmonary artery and pulmonary vein ...

Doesn't in any way dispute what op claimed.
Got it. The not reading entire sentences thing got me both in the article, and your original reply.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Got it. The not reading entire sentences thing got me both in the article, and your original reply.

'The author of the article, and the author of my post suck at making their point.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
On a related note...

The U.S. Navy, by tonnage, is larger than the next 10 world navies combined (Russia, China, Japan, Great Britain, France, India, South Korea, Italy, Taiwan, and Indonesia).

It'll all come down to who controls the UFO drones.

Reaction Score
he didn't say aorta.

Thanks @temery.

whale breach GIF

Reaction Score
The average person farts 14-23 times a day. At least I’m above average in something
Eggs and egg products make for very smelly farts because of the high amount of sulfur. Which of course give eggs their yellow color.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
This may be relatively common knowledge, but I just learned it yesterday: the actor who plays Saul Berenson in Homeland was Inigo Montoya in Princess Bride.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
This may be relatively common knowledge, but I just learned it yesterday: the actor who plays Saul Berenson in Homeland was Inigo Montoya in Princess Bride.
Since you brought up Princess Bride, the role of Fezzik was originally intended to go to Ahnold, but filming was delayed a few years, during which Ahnold made Terminator and Predator and became too expensive.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The whalefacts site says the arteries pump blood through the heart, so I pretty much stopped reading at that point.
Post/handle

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
North America's only marsupial, the possum is great wildlife around your home and yard.

10 Facts About Possums That Will Make You Love Them | LittleThings.com

They're blood temp is slightly lower than other mammals. This lower temp makes it nearly impossible for them to contract or spread rabies.

Possums love them some ticks and eat ticks like you read about. Nature's natural Lyme's Disease defense.

Possums are immune to pit viper venom. As such, see a possum under your shed, patio, deck whatever, you can be confident there aren't any dangerous snakes around. Possums will take the strike and then get a good meal

The process of playing dead and the time they play dead is strictly involuntary.

They're great natural pest defense in your garden eating all sorts of bugs, grubs, etc but will leave your vegetation alone.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom