OT: - Interesting Facts (history, geography, science, etc.) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Interesting Facts (history, geography, science, etc.)

Reaction Score
Indeed it is the dog days of summer, a long way from the start of the season, so no better time for a topic like this!

What are some interesting historical facts you know for history buffs, something interesting about geography or maybe an interesting science fact?

Random Fact: 10th President John Tyler (born 1790) has a living grandson (and another who died less than a year ago).

Harrison Ruffin Tyler, born Nov. 9, 1928, and still alive at age 92. A US president born in the 18th century (1790) still has a grandchild alive in the 3rd decade of the 21st century! Pretty crazy imo.
Not one to rest on his families laurels, Harrison Tyler founded Chemtreat in 1968. It is now one of the largest industrial water treatment firms in the world.

He also owns Sherwood Forest, his home in Virginia, which counts two presidents as owners. William Henry Harrison originally owned it and then sold it to John Tyler. It is 301 feet long and for a long time was the longest wood framed house in the US. You can still tour the house which is relatively close to Williamsburg.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Toss the coin and Churchill could have been the US President and Obama the Prime Minister.
It'd take impossibly more than a coin toss: Churchill could not become US President because he was not born in the USA.

Obama has already prevailed in such a challenge, though some still persist in claiming that this is unproven.

I know nothing about what qualifies or disqualifies one for Prime Minister eligibility.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
A school of clownfish is always built into a hierarchy with a female fish at the top. When she dies, the most dominant male changes sex, takes her place and can then lay eggs, use the ladies room, etc.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Most of Earth's coal exists because of one species, Archeaopteris. This species thrived because it was the first plant to manufacture lignin, dramatically increasing the strength of their stems and therefore the height they could grow (30ft or more). At the time, there was no species that could decompose the lignin, so Archeaopteris piled up in huge mounds that were eventually buried and crushed into coal.

When coal is burned, you release the energy of 300 million year old sunlight, and the carbon from a plant equally as old.

Reaction Score
'Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
Fritter and waste the hours in an off hand way.
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way.
..'

I love this. Makes me wonder why the hell we like building on the coastlines. Climate changes are unavoidable.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The Inn where Martin Van Buren was married is now a pirate bar and I got really drunk there a couple of times.

1361D88F-13A0-4B11-875C-3574C21FB244.jpeg

Reaction Score
The last pension check from the US government related to Civil War veterans was paid in December 2020, 155 years after the war ended. It was a check to a widow who married her husband (the veteran) when he was 93 and she was 17. She lived until she was 101.

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
The total equatorial diameter of the planets in our solar system(including Pluto and excepting Earth) is less than the distance between Earth and the moon at apogee. Therefore all the planets in the solar system could fit between the Earth and our moon.

Also not sure if this counts because we are getting into theoreticals here, but the different kinds of infinity always intrigued me. When you take every whole number in an infinite number set and multiply by two, you have an infinite amount of even numbers. So now we have as many even whole numbers as total whole numbers. And countable infinity vs uncountable infinity is fun too. Cantor’s Diagonal proof is a good place to start but is a pretty deep rabbit hole.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
The total equatorial diameter of the planets in our solar system(including Pluto and excepting Earth) is less than the distance between Earth and the moon at apogee. Therefore all the planets in the solar system could fit between the Earth and our moon.

Also not sure if this counts because we are getting into theoreticals here, but the different kinds of infinity always intrigued me. When you take every whole number in an infinite number set and multiply by two, you have an infinite amount of even numbers. So now we have as many even whole numbers as total whole numbers. And countable infinity vs uncountable infinity is fun too. Cantor’s Diagonal proof is a good place to start but is a pretty deep rabbit hole.

'The fact Uranus is a gas giant cracks me up every time I think about it.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
As a kid (in the US) I listened to relatively local radio stations that broadcasted from a timezone that was 30 minutes different from ours. (Newfoundland)

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
Not one to rest on his families laurels, Harrison Tyler founded Chemtreat in 1968. It is now one of the largest industrial water treatment firms in the world.

He also owns Sherwood Forest, his home in Virginia, which counts two presidents as owners. William Henry Harrison originally owned it and then sold it to John Tyler. It is 301 feet long and for a long time was the longest wood framed house in the US. You can still tour the house which is relatively close to Williamsburg.
We did the presidential trail in VA a few years ago. The private tour of Sherwood Forest was terrific.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom