Inbound Tranfer Options? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Inbound Tranfer Options?

Reaction Score
Texas steamrolled all his coaching momentum because Texas is never going to be Texas of the Mac Brown era again, but they seem to think they'll be in title contention every year. They're going to finished 3rd at best in the SEC West most likely lower. But Texas boosters pay the big bucks to win but always seem to put a mediocre team on the field every year.
Couldn't happen to a more deserving group.

Reaction Score
Texas steamrolled all his coaching momentum because Texas is never going to be Texas of the Mac Brown era again, but they seem to think they'll be in title contention every year. They're going to finished 3rd at best in the SEC West most likely lower. But Texas boosters pay the big bucks to win but always seem to put a mediocre team on the field every year.
I don’t know why you draw the conclusion they are never going to be as good as the Mac Brown era again. They have university size, state size, booster support and the local recruiting base that would absolutely allow them to compete with anybody nationally with the right administration, AD and coach. You really think LSU or Alabama or Auburn has some structural built in advantages that UT can’t match?

Reaction Score

Texas hasn't put it together in a while but you should NOT underestimate them. With Arch Manning headed there next year, they are hauling in an insane amount of talent. They have the #3 recruiting class in the country coming in. ESPN has them #5 preseason for 2023.

Reaction Score
Texas should be a juggernaut for all the reasons mentioned. They’ll get back. The NIL money they should be able raise could be staggering.

Reaction Score
My opinion is that Texas is as they say in Texas all hat and no cattle. Thy will always be ranked in the pre season but now that the SEC has access to Texas recruits, Texas will continue to bumble slonh

Reaction Score
My opinion is that Texas is as they say in Texas all hat and no cattle. Thy will always be ranked in the pre season but now that the SEC has access to Texas recruits, Texas will continue to bumble slonh
All depends on the AD and Head Coach. There's no lid on who they can afford to hire and, as we've recently seen with UConn basketball, the right coach will win in whatever league they're in.

Reaction Score
All depends on the AD and Head Coach. There's no lid on who they can afford to hire and, as we've recently seen with UConn basketball, the right coach will win in whatever league they're in.
The only caveat is they dont have much patience. Shaka Smart is a good coach. But the immense pressure to produce big results right away got him.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Show us where Texas touched you. Is Texas in the room with us right now?

I got touched by a local in a porta potty at the State Fair of Texas in 1998. I thought it was the most random and spontaneous thing ever until I realized she knew exactly where to place her feet to keep her skirt off the floor and a hand on the door.

Reaction Score
I don’t know why you draw the conclusion they are never going to be as good as the Mac Brown era again. They have university size, state size, booster support and the local recruiting base that would absolutely allow them to compete with anybody nationally with the right administration, AD and coach. You really think LSU or Alabama or Auburn has some structural built in advantages that UT can’t match?
Why do the Texas kids go to Alabama and Georgia? Just for the SEC? That’s the change they need, but they’ll be a fish out of water for a little while, getting used to being the same as others.

Reaction Score
Texas does the least with the most.

Reaction Score
Why do the Texas kids go to Alabama and Georgia? Just for the SEC? That’s the change they need, but they’ll be a fish out of water for a little while, getting used to being the same as others.
Why would they go to Texas if Georgia or Alabama is calling? Texas will not finish higher than third in the west. And talent means nothing, look at TAMU. They had the top recruiting class if remember correctly then lost to an FCS team.

Reaction Score
Texas hasn't put it together in a while but you should NOT underestimate them. With Arch Manning headed there next year, they are hauling in an insane amount of talent. They have the #3 recruiting class in the country coming in. ESPN has them #5 preseason for 2023.
And they will not end the season no. 5. Something about Texas seems off. They have a huge hype machine, but when we last time they delivered anything?

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
And they will not end the season no. 5. Something about Texas seems off. They have a huge hype machine, but when we last time they delivered anything?
When Texas beat USC with Vince Young at quarterback in the 2005 National Championship and then in 2009 with Colt McCoy as the Running-ups to Alabama. That has been a while

Reaction Score
I think in general TX high schoolers are over rated. Obviously, there are some amazing players from TX but many get a ratings bump just by being in the state. The other aspect that I think is in play is that many TX high schools have advantages such as coaching, facilities, S&C, etc and therefore more TX players seem ready to make big impacts on the collegiate level but in actuality they are surpassed by players coming from other states once those players get access to higher levels of those aspects once they get to the collegiate level.

Reaction Score
I think in general TX high schoolers are over rated. Obviously, there are some amazing players from TX but many get a ratings bump just by being in the state. The other aspect that I think is in play is that many TX high schools have advantages such as coaching, facilities, S&C, etc and therefore more TX players seem ready to make big impacts on the collegiate level but in actuality they are surpassed by players coming from other states once those players get access to higher levels of those aspects once they get to the collegiate level.
I think you make a pretty good point; the amount of money poured into High School football there (and elsewhere) is more than ridiculous. I think smart coaches have an idea of how polished/developed a player currently is, and how much further he might go, but like all things it's very inexact and many mistakes are made; it's easy to get seduced by how a player stands out without taking into account that he may have already reached his ceiling.

I hate to bring up Edsall at this time, but one thing he got praised for was spotting the "diamonds in the rough" from the Northeast during his first term here; the guys who lacked the attention in HS, lacked the polishing from playing football at a high level like in southern states. It's way too early to say how Mora will do in this regard, and it's a completely different environment now with the transfer portal now.

Reaction Score
I will have to disagree with you on TX high schoolers being over rated since I live in Texas. Texas is oversaturated with Talent and most of these kids end up playing against top competition every year. We have 6 districts in Texas 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, 5A and 6A. 5A and 6A. The best districts are 5 and 6 with highly competitive recruits. Each school is placed in a district depending on their school size. 6A with the largest schools has 28 districts with between 7 to 9 schools in each division. 5A has division 1 and 2 with 14 districts in each division with 5 to 8 schools. If you do the numbers you will know we have a lot of kids that play football. It's easier to recruit in Texas because there are so many talented kids and even then, some of your 3 stars recruits can compete with 5 star recruits. Most kids rated 4-5 stars will obviously go to big time programs, but many of your 3 star recruits also go to big time programs too. Texas is a hotbed for recruits since like you said we do spend a lot of money in Texas football. We have a lot of talented kids and sometimes those kid do not get recruited and end up going FCS or Juco. There are a lot high schools that have at least 15,000 - 20,000 fans on a Friday night game and during playoffs have at least 30,000 at the NRG or Cowboys stadium. A lot of the high school stadiums are a lot better than some FCS and division 2 schools.

Now in regards to impact on the collegiate level, its not I dont think they get surpassed by players from other states, but its more so they probably hit their peak early on and injuries start taking a toll. In Texas, football is all year round for our kids and with a lot of them also doing track and field right after the season ends. Those kids in track are doing football lifting/skills during the school day and track after school and those not doing track are just lifting/skills after school. Another perspective to look at, your Texas football kids do not always get the luxury of red shirting because they come to college already at a play ready size and just have to build some muscle to be ready to compete.

A player on our team for example will be Noel Ofori-Nyadu. He was 6'3 285 coming out of high school. Had some good offers coming out of high school, had some big time schools talking to him like Miami, Baylor, Texas Tech etc before he tore his ACL the week before his spring game. So he did not play his last year of high school football, but still had an impressive list of offers from his junior year film. Edsall and co got him to commit to Uconn. NON enrolled early, redshirted his freshmen year, did not play his sophomore year. We had the covid year, so he did not play that year. So in a nutshell he did not play roughly for 3 years post ACL tear. So in terms of development for him, him being able to rest his body after playing top competitive footballl in Texas worked out for him because there is not a toll on his body as a lot of Texas kids who end up getting burnt out in college and get inflicted with injuries.

Reaction Score
I dislike almost everything about Texas, except the few friends I had/have from there (who were transplants). Most Texans are just full of themselves. I root for them to secede every year.
good lord...........

Reaction Score
When Texas beat USC with Vince Young at quarterback in the 2005 National Championship and then in 2009 with Colt McCoy as the Running-ups to Alabama. That has been a while
That is a long time ago considering the talent that goes through that place

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Randy used to bring up the finished product vs room for growth with some programs.

Certain programs have rhe facilities, the coaching amd community support to develop players from youth football through HS. By the time you get them on campus there isn't always room for growth.

Randy of course is a deebag but he wasn't wrong on that.

Reaction Score
I dislike almost everything about Texas, except the few friends I had/have from there (who were transplants). Most Texans are just full of themselves. I root for them to secede every year.

Sounds serious. I hope you seek therapy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom