Ice, Ayanna, Kiki at First Night | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Ice, Ayanna, Kiki at First Night

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
While I don’t think it matters for WBB, other than creating a more pleasant atmosphere for all UConn fans, it should be noted that UConn FB won their first game today in almost 2 years, beating Yale 21-15.
I watched the game. I saw one good thing about the football team. They have some good looking uniforms. They also came close to losing on the last play of the game.

Reaction Score
Wasn't it Ann Strother who, while commenting on her recruitment trip to UT, said something like "I'm not coming here to play football"?

And I think something similar with Nykesha Sales being recruited by Ohio Sate. They took her to a football game and I think she said that she didn't like football.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Regarding Nykesha Sales and football:

She was at Ohio State on her visit and of course attended the football game.
Geno was aware of the visit and turned that game on TV for a bit. The weather was atrocious..snowy/cold/windy.
Geno....being Himself...said that he hoped Nykesha was freezing her [blank] off.

Another Nykesha blast from the past: Her final 4 were UConn/Virginia/Ohio State and Stanford.
Stanford had a deep and excellent recruiting class from that high school year [1994]. After Nykesha declared for UConn, Tara said something along the lines of 'we wanted Nykesha but we got 5 Nykeshas in that class'. I don't remember any of those names....but they were in fact big-time.

Fast forward to Nykesha's soph or junior year. In a December non-conference game in Florida she goes for a one game school record in points [maybe 46 or 48]. Against...who else...Stanford! Think maybe CD had plastered Tara's quote all over Nykesha's locker pre-game?

I'm pretty sure that her single game record still stands...quarter of a century later.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I’m going to go way out on a limb here. ;). KIKi Rice’s decision will have nothing to do with UConn FB or Field Hockey. Nor will it have anything to do with Stanford Volleyball or even Duke MBB. Now it is possible that the Dairy Bar will weigh heavily in her decision….. :)
OD, I’m going further out on that limb by suggesting that if Rice chooses to come to UConn, it will be because as you suggest. it won’t be because of any other athletic teams, but because she recognizes the potential for greatness Geno is building, the players that she’ll get to play with and learn from, and she wants to be part of it.

The unique opportunity to be coached by one of the greatest and most successful WCBB coaches of all time. And most of all, because she wants to be part of the history of the UConn women’s basketball program, and maybe put her name on the wall in Gampel Pavilion. She knows that if she comes to Storrs, in 4 years she will be ready to move on to the professional level, probably as a high 1st round draft choice, as most UConn graduates do.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Regarding Nykesha Sales and football:

She was at Ohio State on her visit and of course attended the football game.
Geno was aware of the visit and turned that game on TV for a bit. The weather was atrocious..snowy/cold/windy.
Geno....being Himself...said that he hoped Nykesha was freezing her [blank] off.

Another Nykesha blast from the past: Her final 4 were UConn/Virginia/Ohio State and Stanford.
Stanford had a deep and excellent recruiting class from that high school year [1994]. After Nykesha declared for UConn, Tara said something along the lines of 'we wanted Nykesha but we got 5 Nykeshas in that class'. I don't remember any of those names....but they were in fact big-time.

Fast forward to Nykesha's soph or junior year. In a December non-conference game in Florida she goes for a one game school record in points [maybe 46 or 48]. Against...who else...Stanford! Think maybe CD had plastered Tara's quote all over Nykesha's locker pre-game?

I'm pretty sure that her single game record still stands...quarter of a century later.
It does. The record is 46 points. That record has stood since December 21, 1997. I guess today is the day for stepping out on limbs, because I’m stepping out on one again. I seriously think that the player who will break that record is currently on this roster. :cool:

Last edited:

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
OD, I’m going further out on that limb by suggesting that if Rice chooses to come to UConn, it will be because as you suggest. it won’t be because of any other athletic teams, but because she recognizes the potential for greatness Geno is building, the players that she’ll get to play with and learn from, and she wants to be part of it.

The unique opportunity to be coached by one of the greatest and most successful WCBB coaches of all time. And most of all, because she wants to be part of the history of the UConn women’s basketball program, and maybe put her name on the wall in Gampel Pavilion. She knows that if she comes to Storrs, in 4 years she will be ready to move on to the professional level, probably as a high 1st round draft choice, as most UConn graduates do.
very rational ... a good pitch i would think

Reaction Score
Gamble? The ghost of the old baseball player or the quail? :confused:

Or were you victimized by spell check?
This is what I thought of:

1634487627422.png

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think blimp was Dayton and Tamika Williams. ?

that doesn’t bother me because was a super Hail Mary that they had a shot at the #1 player. You’d think TN would have more self respect than that.
Might have been both. TN used a blimp to drop the letter of intent at Ann's feet,

Of course, did anyone at UConn say anything when it was reported that during Tennessee's recruitment of Ann Strother (who went to UConn) that the entire Tennessee team was wearing T-shirts with Strother's baby picture on it (want to bet that one or more of those T-shirts found their way in to Strother's suitcase for the plane ride home)? And that when they took Strother to the arena and put her name up on the giant video board, an indoor blimp circled over her head and dropped the letter of intent at her feet?

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
It does. The record is 46 points. That record has stood since December 21, 1997. I guess today is the day for stepping out on limbs, because I’m stepping out on one again. I seriously think that the player who will break that record is currently on this roster. :cool:
Certainly the potential is there. Geno might block it, though. Lou had a chance to break it in her 40-point game but Geno took her out.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Might have been both. TN used a blimp to drop the letter of intent at Ann's feet,

Of course, did anyone at UConn say anything when it was reported that during Tennessee's recruitment of Ann Strother (who went to UConn) that the entire Tennessee team was wearing T-shirts with Strother's baby picture on it (want to bet that one or more of those T-shirts found their way in to Strother's suitcase for the plane ride home)? And that when they took Strother to the arena and put her name up on the giant video board, an indoor blimp circled over her head and dropped the letter of intent at her feet?
Thanks Coco. I had not seen this article before, but enjoyed it very much. I’ve never read anything by Chris Elsberry, but I like him/her very much. You have to be extremely confident and secure in your own being to call Summit a “jealous witch”, and not be concerned about any possible blowback or reprisals. I was not a UConn fan when these incidents occurred. I have have some private correspondence with some boneyarders that were. They all said it was a very spiteful and disrespectful action on Summit’s part. Thanks again for posting this. :)

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score

WOW!!!! a jealous bitch?bitch? Thts savage!!..
Stop holding back, tell us how you really feel.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Certainly the potential is there. Geno might block it, though. Lou had a chance to break it in her 40-point game but Geno took her out.
I remember that game. You’re right!

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score

Back in the day, our own TonyC (who we know always goes "big" in his thinking) heard about that indoor blimp thing and tried to upscale it at Gampel....

tony_planB_sig.jpg

Reaction Score
Ed, you’re definitely “old school.” I too remember Oscar Gamble, mainly for his extra large Afro hair style. Not for much else. :cool:

Hit 31 homers in a season for the White Sox.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score

A few of us were a big part of the 37 page NCAA violation. Someday when we meet and if your interested I will tell you what happened. I had a copy of the 37 pages and I dont know what happened to it but some of my posts and pictures with Kibitzer and the limerick signs are a big part of it. Pat wasnt the only one embarrassed and angry.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom