Ice, Ayanna, Kiki at First Night | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ice, Ayanna, Kiki at First Night

Reaction Score
:eek: Winnable? Why in the world would we want to subject these recruits to watching UCONN football.
I have a better idea: Take the recruits over to the Field Hockey practice and have then watch some real winners.
FH not so great an example anymore. They’re .500 and won’t make the NCAAs (first since 2001) unless they can upset Liberty in the BET. Big time growing pains under the new coach.

Reaction Score
I really hate that football gets tied up in these things. I never understood why a WCBB recruit would care. Not like she's gonna be putting on pads to go out there and help the d-line, though she probably couldn't do much worse. The one thing we can show off is our basketball experience and we couldn't even run a one hour pep rally smoothly. Not the end of the world, but the superficial stuff like that should be a layup especially when there are VIPs in the house.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One more comment about 1st Night. While those of us who were not there might focus on the problem with the basket, if anyone has seen some of the wide angle videos posted by Alexa Philippou in the Hartford Courant it’s pretty clear that students packed Gampel to the rafters and they were really, really, really loud!!!

I suspect that KiKi Rice and her fellow recruits were suitably impressed with the kind of reaction they will/could receive playing basketball in Storrs, CT. Some of the loudest reactions were for the introduction of Paige, the introduction of Azzi and the warmup dunk by Amari (I’m sure Ayanna took notice).

UConn WBB has a “rockstar” quality. That’s certainly not the case at Stanford and most other WBB programs around the country.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
If she gives into peer pressure positive or otherwise, I would consider her weak minded. Who wants a player like that?
Of course. I didn't mean it that literally. But I do hope she vibes with UConn's commits so well that it becomes part of the package she'd be drawn to.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Yes, the fall foliage can have a dramatic effect on someone who hasn't experienced it before. A law school chum of mine took his Phoenix raised spouse for a fall foliage ride heading north out of Cambridge. They had not been long among the leaves when she began to cry pretty vigorously. What's wrong, he asked? "It's so beautiful. People say it, but I had no idea." She cried the afternoon away and was perfectly happy to do so.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
FH not so great an example anymore. They’re .500 and won’t make the NCAAs (first since 2001) unless they can upset Liberty in the BET. Big time growing pains under the new coach.
FH is a great example compared to football right now. UCONN FB is 0 and 7 with games coming up against Clemson UCF. and Huston.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It’s a beautiful Saturday in the fall. While UConn football is not much of a show these days, it’s all about hanging out with the WBB team & fellow recruits, interacting with UConn students and fans at the game and maybe having a hot dog & some popcorn. Whether the FB team wins or loses is probably not a very important consideration.
Dick Wolf Fbi GIF by Wolf Entertainment

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yes, the fall foliage can have a dramatic effect on someone who hasn't experienced it before. A law school chum of mine took his Phoenix raised spouse for a fall foliage ride heading north out of Cambridge. They had not been long among the leaves when she began to cry pretty vigorously. What's wrong, he asked? "It's so beautiful. People say it, but I had no idea." She cried the afternoon away and was perfectly happy to do so.
I couldn't help but notice there was no mention of "football" in that story. Fall foliage? Definitely. UCONN Football? Let's seriously seeks some alternatives unless the objective is to make these recruits cry.

Reaction Score
Ice, Ayanna , and Kiki attending First Night....WOW ! This may not be Christmas , but it's certainly sounds like Thanksgiving to me. Thankful that Kiki will be attending with 2 girls Committed to Uconn. But she could make it feel like Christmas if she decides to join them with a later Commitment.
I think and hope she’ll commit to UConn for the fact CW and Evina will be gone which will give her a chance to start or get major minutes. And I know she got the chills walking into Gamble.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’m going to go way out on a limb here. ;). KIKi Rice’s decision will have nothing to do with UConn FB or Field Hockey. Nor will it have anything to do with Stanford Volleyball or even Duke MBB. Now it is possible that the Dairy Bar will weigh heavily in her decision….. :)

Reaction Score
I think and hope she’ll commit to UConn for the fact CW and Evina will be gone which will give her a chance to start or get major minutes. And I know she got the chills walking into Gamble.
Gamble? The ghost of the old baseball player or the quail? :confused:

Or were you victimized by spell check?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
:eek: Winnable? Why in the world would we want to subject these recruits to watching UCONN football.
I have a better idea: Take the recruits over to the Field Hockey practice and have then watch some real winners.
I guess you haven’t been following the field hockey team this year…8-7 overall and 2-6 against ranked teams…Their coached retired last year….

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I guess you haven’t been following the field hockey team this year…8-7 overall and 2-6 against ranked teams…Their coached retired last year….
FH is a great example compared to football right now. UCONN FB is 0 and 7 with games coming up against Clemson UCF. and Huston.

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t worry too much about the basket hiccup at 1st night, which has always been more of a pep rally than a sporting event. KiKi Rice is a smart young lady who, from all appearances, has undertaken a careful and systematic approach to her recruitment which likely emphasizes relationships with teammates & coaches, academic excellence and basketball opportunity & development.
Yes she is. JMO, but I believe there’s a new dog in the kennel soon.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
It’s a beautiful Saturday in the fall. While UConn football is not much of a show these days, it’s all about hanging out with the WBB team & fellow recruits, interacting with UConn students and fans at the game and maybe having a hot dog & some popcorn. Whether the FB team wins or loses is probably not a very important consideration.
Wasn't it Ann Strother who, while commenting on her recruitment trip to UT, said something like "I'm not coming here to play football"?

Reaction Score
Wasn't it Ann Strother who, while commenting on her recruitment trip to UT, said something like "I'm not coming here to play football"?
That's awesome if true. There are some schools with which we compete for top recruits that will generally only bring recruits on campus on a football weekend. The football team is apparently a big selling point for some WCBB programs.

Reaction Score
That's awesome if true. There are some schools with which we compete for top recruits that will generally only bring recruits on campus on a football weekend. The football team is apparently a big selling point for some WCBB programs.
Of course. Many campuses have a much different, electric vibe on FB weekends. Not to mention that a stadium with 80-100k fans is a nice ad .

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Oh I had forgotten about Strothers recruitment. The Tenn players all wore tshirts with Ann’s baby picture on it! How unbelievably cheeseball is that?
Pretty cheeseball. And didn't they have some sort of mini-blimp with her picture on it?

Reaction Score
Pretty cheeseball. And didn't they have some sort of mini-blimp with her picture on it?
I think blimp was Dayton and Tamika Williams. ?

that doesn’t bother me because was a super Hail Mary that they had a shot at the #1 player. You’d think TN would have more self respect than that.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While I don’t think it matters for WBB, other than creating a more pleasant atmosphere for all UConn fans, it should be noted that UConn FB won their first game today in almost 2 years, beating Yale 21-15.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom