Hurley's Contract | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley's Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Rumors are Drew been offered the job. Them whackos are all going crazy about it

Reaction Score
Probably because he has zero interest in leaving and knows UConn has always treated him right. He doesn't need to get every last dollar out of UConn because they will continue to do right by him.
He was on Macafee today and he made a laughing comment about his agent not being happy he made the comment about Andrea not going to KY.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think it would cost DH money in the long run if he left now. He would get the mercenary tag and lose some luster, imo.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I'm gonna guess we go 8 mil for life plus the same 2 mil in bonuses. That puts Hurley firmly in the top 3 salaries. Plus the program stuff he's gonna demand.

Reaction Score
What is Hurley worth to the state?

I’m not smart enough to understand the entire economic impact of having a 2x national champion. I’ve searched and read a few articles, but I can’t make sense of it all.

It’s fun to have a great team. I’ve read that applications increase with success. Jobs are created, money is spent, donations increase, visitors come, and taxes are collected. I’m guessing some of that money would be spent in CT even if there wasn’t a great basketball team.

Is there any analysis out there putting dollar values to Hurley’s excellence? Especially from the state of CT viewpoint? Does anyone specifically try to compute the dollar value (or rate of return) of Hurley as compared to a typical coach?

The link talks about the athletic dept in a general sense, but feels more like marketing.

GG

Reaction Score
Hurley willl be taken care of. DB knows what we have and what he is doing.

Reaction Score
Kentucky fans don’t know the first thing about the Hurley family. Bob Sr. passed up making millions at the college level in order to stay at a HIGH SCHOOL for goodness sake. If they think they can buy him like an auction, they’re in for a hilarious reality check.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Kentucky fans are so stupid. Matt Jones or some other idiot with a podcast makes one point then they all parrot it and act like it’s gospel. They have a lot of fans, but god they’re brain dead. Hopeless ass state

Reaction Score
Dan isn't going to the NBA. His style absolutely won't work for those guys.
I can envision him scratching that itch by coaching team USA in the Olympics like Coach K. His coaching style would be perfect there.

Reaction Score
Honestly, I think if this was Duke or maybe UNC, he would be gone. The Hurley family have those two schools as the gold standard, and still probably annoys Dan that his brother played there and he couldn't get in.

He's also someone that does not make rash decision IMO. It took some convincing from our AD to get him to leave URI, which should have been a no brainer based on $ and facilities. Also, Coach K had to tell him that he needs to leave URI and go to a big time school. I don't think his Dad or Coach K will tell him UK is a better spot then UConn, which will be a big part of his decision process. I could be completely wrong. You know, it's just like uh, my opinion.

Reaction Score
Why would he do that? Even if he wants to stay here, it's only going to help his negotiating position.
This. He said it of the Pat Mcafee Show
that His agent doesn't even want him talking about the Job, basically alluding to losing leverage in negotiations. He followed it with a "just keeping it real".

Reaction Score
Why are you just making things up? This is a ridiculous logical leap. You think Danny is bothered his brother got into Duke 40 yeads ago? What is wrong with you?
Just my opinion. When Dan was hired here he mentioned those two schools, Jay Bilas has told stories about Dan visiting his brother at Duke and how Dan wanted to go there, Dan seems to have a close relationship with Coach K and respects his opinion. Plus most siblings are usually competitive with each other (no matter how old you are).

Reaction Score
My friend at work is telling me UK fans are trying to lure Hurley to Lexington because Gampel was empty when the team returned home yesterday. Students must be home for spring break or it was an unannounced event.

We can all attest the this team not lacking fan support. UK is desperate. Kind of pathetic actually.

Reaction Score
Just my opinion.

Some people's opinion is the earth is flat. They are dumb. Just because it's an opinion doesn't mean it's not monumentally stupid.

Reaction Score
Just my opinion. When Dan was hired here he mentioned those two schools, Jay Bilas has told stories about Dan visiting his brother at Duke and how Dan wanted to go there, Dan seems to have a close relationship with Coach K and respects his opinion. Plus most siblings are usually competitive with each other (no matter how old you are).

Yes, Dan is going to take the Duke and Kentucky jobs simultaneously and combine them to create a super team.

Think about it. At UConn, he has the kind of security, pay and comfort level that few ever enjoy. His wife is happy. His family is happy. In a very real sense his only competition is himself. He is the king. He has made this place into the situation he has always wanted. If he was a beaver, this is HIS POND.

He could leave for Kentucky where the super donors think they are the GMs of the Wildcats. The have had a say in how the program runs for decades. He will have to prove himself to a fan base that is never satisfied. And it's far from everything he loves.

He could go to Duke. But for that to happen Scheyer has to fail. So... the program would be headed in the wrong direction. It's another rebuild at the second choice school in a ten mile radius of North Carolina. This might not be the cakewalk many suppose it to be.

Just my opinion.

Reaction Score
Dan Hurley is the best coach in America right now and needs to be compensated like it. Dave Benedict is excellent and I'm sure he's already thinking about a reworked deal, but Hurley's salary needs to double ASAP. I'm sure Gov. Lamont and others can help get whatever funding necessary to help make it happen. Letting Kentucky (or anybody) potentially lure him away in his prime would be a Hartford Whalers leaving-type of bad. And yes, I know he and Andrea leaving the northeast might be a longshot, but it doesn't matter, he's earned a substantial raise. Get it done ASAP.
You do realize the athletic program has been a money loser and dragging a football albatross around its neck? The school has been cutting sports and Hurley is already in the top 10 paid coaches and got a significant raise on a 6 year deal last year.

Reaction Score
Honestly, I think if this was Duke or maybe UNC, he would be gone. The Hurley family have those two schools as the gold standard, and still probably annoys Dan that his brother played there and he couldn't get in.

He's also someone that does not make rash decision IMO. It took some convincing from our AD to get him to leave URI, which should have been a no brainer based on $ and facilities. Also, Coach K had to tell him that he needs to leave URI and go to a big time school. I don't think his Dad or Coach K will tell him UK is a better spot than UConn, which will be a big part of his decision process. I could be completely wrong. You know, it's just like uh, my opinion.
Dan played for Seton Hall in the 90s. He got to stay home in Jersey and play for a tourney powerhouse program. Not sure your take holds water.

Reaction Score
This. He said it of the Pat Mcafee Show
that His agent doesn't even want him talking about the Job, basically alluding to losing leverage in negotiations. He followed it with a "just keeping it real".
There is only so coy Hurley can be if he wants to start convincing transfers and recruits to come to UConn today.

Reaction Score
First off, Kentucky is not below Duke or Carolina. It is a gold standard job.

Hurley basically walks on water at Uconn the rest of his life whether he wins or loses. Championships are never a given thing, but he will have great teams and make deep runs. He is an icon here forever.

If Hurley makes a final 4 at Kentucky and doesn't win a ring, that's a failure. The bar is super high if Kentucky brings in Hurley.

Reaction Score

Hurley basically walks on water at Uconn the rest of his life whether he wins or loses. Championships are never a given thing, but he will have great teams and make deep runs. He is an icon here forever.

If Hurley makes a final 4 at Kentucky and doesn't win a ring, that's a failure. The bar is super high if Kentucky brings in Hurley.
Kentucky is 100% below Duke and Carolina.

Reaction Score
Yes, Dan is going to take the Duke and Kentucky jobs simultaneously and combine them to create a super team.

Think about it. At UConn, he has the kind of security, pay and comfort level that few ever enjoy. His wife is happy. His family is happy. In a very real sense his only competition is himself. He is the king. He has made this place into the situation he has always wanted. If he was a beaver, this is HIS POND.

He could leave for Kentucky where the super donors think they are the GMs of the Wildcats. The have had a say in how the program runs for decades. He will have to prove himself to a fan base that is never satisfied. And it's far from everything he loves.

He could go to Duke. But for that to happen Scheyer has to fail. So... the program would be headed in the wrong direction. It's another rebuild at the second choice school in a ten mile radius of North Carolina. This might not be the cakewalk many suppose it to be.

Just my opinion.
You guys are funny. I was just saying he's not going to Kentucky. When Duke opens up in 2 years cause there coach fails, i'll be nervous.

Reaction Score

But then you have to live in Kentucky. At least North Carolina is palatable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom