Hurley Needs to Find Lineups w/ Sanogo & Clingan | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hurley Needs to Find Lineups w/ Sanogo & Clingan

Reaction Score
Strong disagree, did everyone already forgot what our offense has looked like the past few years trying to play 2 bigs? And that's with a big in Whaley who was a positive on the defensive end when on the floor at the 4
Whaley isn't Clingan. I do agree that it may not be the right thing to have them play too much together, but if Clingan continues to develop and play the way he has, it's going to be tough not giving him 15-20 minutes. We'll see if they can/should make it work.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This season won't be about minutes. It will be about match-ups. This team is like the old Mission Impossible TV show. Hurley as Mr. Phelps picking out the agents he needs to accomplish the task at hand.

Reaction Score
I'm not really sure what your suggestion is here. We both agree that at 29 minutes a game, he was often gassed during games later in the year, but giving him 25 minutes is too few?

Adama is a big guy to begin with and is wildly active for a center of his size. He needs some breaks. And the reality is that foul trouble and game flow will dictate a lot of this anyways. There are going to be games with Sanogo gets 2 fouls with ten minutes to go in the first half and Clingan plays 20 minutes, there are going to be games where Sanogo dominates and Clingan gets ten minutes.
That 29 minutes was an average, and includes games where he played under 20 minutes because of foul trouble. This year, yes, if he get's in foul trouble, then of course no issue with Clingan playing 20 minutes. But he has slimmed down this year, should be able to play more minutes than he could have last year. I think the important thing is that this year, the PRESSURE for him to have to play 35 minutes is gone. I think the mental pressure is just as tiring as the physical part. My main point is that he's too good of a player to only plan on playing him 25 minutes when he's on. That's my point.

Reaction Score
They have played together already, so it’s not off the table. I’m if the situation calls for it Hurley will play both together for a couple minutes. Maybe against Creighton? Well see these are good problems to have.

Reaction Score
I think my main point here is there’s only 40 minutes of the center position in a game. There will be games where we need 30+ minutes of Sanogo, but I think it’s unreasonable for DC to be off the floor(less than 10 minutes/game) at Sanogo’s expense. DCs defense and OREB ability is needed.

Gotta find a solution for the 4-8 times this year we will need it.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Whaley isn't Clingan. I do agree that it may not be the right thing to have them play too much together, but if Clingan continues to develop and play the way he has, it's going to be tough not giving him 15-20 minutes. We'll see if they can/should make it work.
He’s already playing 15-20 minutes. Which is working perfectly.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
My low basketball IQ call would be wouldn't Clingan be playing center\paint and Sanogo playing a "forward" position? I definitely don't want them both in the paint. If Sanogo is going to make the jump I think he needs he can play outside the paint, or at least make drives into it successfully.

The main thing is I feel like I am finally trusting our coach and players to make it work and I'm not yelling at them to try something, anything, so another close one doesn't slip away.

Reaction Score
I don't see any way Sanogo averages 30 minutes per this season. He's averaging 24 per now and it still feels like Clingan isn't playing enough. We'll also get Samson back soon.
Yeah, that is the point of this whole thread. I think Sanogo should be playing 30 minutes per game in CLOSE games. I think he's that good. And Clingan is playing so well, how do you give him only 10 minutes per game? The only answer is either Sanogo plays less, or they play together more. And it's not just Clingan and Sanogo. Hawkins has only been playing 20 mins per game, and Jackson only 23. Minutes get spread around when you're winning big.

I have no idea how you find minutes for Johnson. What I do know, it's a great problem to have! So many guys playing well, it's hard to find minutes for them! It will be very interesting to see what happens in close games.

Reaction Score
I think my main point here is there’s only 40 minutes of the center position in a game. There will be games where we need 30+ minutes of Sanogo, but I think it’s unreasonable for DC to be off the floor(less than 10 minutes/game) at Sanogo’s expense. DCs defense and OREB ability is needed.

Gotta find a solution for the 4-8 times this year we will need it.
Nope, if we need Sanogo on the floor for 30 minutes then that's just gonna have to be a game Clingan plays less. That's the solution, minutes are a zero sum game. If you "need" Clingan's defense and offensive rebounding, then you don't need 30 minutes from Sanogo

Reaction Score
They have played together already, so it’s not off the table. I’m if the situation calls for it Hurley will play both together for a couple minutes. Maybe against Creighton? Well see these are good problems to have.
They've played 9 possessions together in 8 games, it's going to be an incredibly rare thing to play them together

Reaction Score
Anyone stumping for Adama getting significant minutes at the four needs to look around the Big East at the fours we'll be facing and then think about whether they want Sanogo guarding that person on the perimeter. I'll save you some time. The answer is no. That is a recipe for immediate foul trouble and opposing coaches would be gameplanning to do exactly that.

Reaction Score
Bad idea- 2 big men on the floor at the same time changes the team dynamic. It changes interior spacing on the offensive side and limits ball movement from your wings. I agree with most - Sanogo is beast inside- you wear down your opponent then bring in the big guy. Also- it stretches out the potential foul issues

Reaction Score
Just for fun let’s try a lineup of Clignan, Sanogo, Johnson, Hassan, and Karraban that would a sight to see lol.

Reaction Score
We’re 8-0 with 8 blowout wins including 2 top 25 teams. I think whatever Hurley is doing with lineups is just fine lol

Having both on the same floor has been used in some situational lineups like Oregon when we needed size

The fact that we’re trying to get our freshman backup C more minutes while our starting C is the BE preseason POY and on the KAJ watch list means we have something special!

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
So you are calling Jackson a shooter?
No … but running out high caliber players with those varied skills at 7’2”, 6’9”, 6’7, 6,7” and 6’5” would be pretty intimidating.

Reaction Score
The Sanogo hot takes after he hovered between really good and completely dominant during every other game this year are bad even by fan message board standards.
I think its totally fair criticism. 6 points and 4 fouls in a big game?!!! He is overrated and should be put at the end of the bench!!! Inexcusable!!!! :D

Reaction Score
There will be games where it is needed, like against Oregon. But mostly I like how Hurley has things set up.
I think in a game against a team like Purdue.....Clingan and Sanogo may both need to be on the floor together most of the time to counteract the Boilermakers massive frontline full of several huge players which includes a 7'4" 290 pound mountain named Zach Edey.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
No reason for them to be on the court together. What we're doing now is working very well.

Reaction Score
As long as there's 3 shooters on with the two bigs I suspect it'll work. Can be any three of Newton, Hawkins, Calcaterra, Karaban, and possibly Alleyne/Diarra. I think you need the three out to be dangerous from outside to clear space for the two bigs to operate. So I don't think having Jackson with them works.

On the other hand, wouldn't a lineup of Sanogo, Clingan, Karaban, Jackson and Newton be downright scary? Would we ever give up a rebound?

That's not to say I'd do either of them, but if Hurley wants time in the lab to experiment, fine.
Goal #1 - Don’t screw up a good thing. Having said that I don’t have a problem with Sanogo and Clingan playing together in spots when and if circumstances call for it.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't see any way Sanogo averages 30 minutes per this season. He's averaging 24 per now and it still feels like Clingan isn't playing enough. We'll also get Samson back soon.

I think his average is going to be creeping upwards.

That assumes that we’re not going to continue to win by an average of 26 points a game.

Reaction Score
Hurley can afford against certain teams in situations put them both out there at the same time and see what happens. No one will die if he does that. Newton, Karaban and maybe Diarra out there, that’s 2 handlers or AJAX. Gives us ball handling, shooting, boards, defense. What could be bad for 4 minutes?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom