Hurley Needs to Find Lineups w/ Sanogo & Clingan | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley Needs to Find Lineups w/ Sanogo & Clingan

Reaction Score
A lot of freshmen hit that wall later in the year, and this season will be the most physically demanding one Donovan’s ever experienced. They’re finding the right minutes for him now and putting him in a position to succeed.

What a special start to the season for him. Turns out he didn’t have to leave Bristol Central after all.

Reaction Score
If Clingan started I don't think he comes back. For selfish reasons keep him 2nd string.

Also Sanogo had a lot to do with Clingan's fast D1 start.

Anyways BE play will really test Clingan. Teams will have properly scouted him, and prepare for him. Not sure how you prepare for both he and Sanogo playing together though.

Reaction Score
We have all seen periods when Sonago is bull-headed in forcing himself to the hoop instead of passing out. So, it's not whether or not you can play Sonago with Clingan, it's whether this tourney has convinced Sonago that he can play a smarter, a better, and a more team-oriented game whether he shares the floor or not with Clingan. Sonago is a massive talent, and I'm hoping that he will now let the game come to him a bit more, given the way his surrounding cast has evolved.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We have all seen periods when Sonago is bull-headed in forcing himself to the hoop instead of passing out. So, it's not whether or not you can play Sonago with Clingan, it's whether this tourney has convinced Sonago that he can play a smarter, a better, and a more team-oriented game
I think Adama has already shown he's bought into the team concept this year.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Yes, we a blowing teams off the court so let's change it up for no good reason.

There will be opponents, situations, where this makes sense and we have seen it for short stretches but having 2 bigs is not our default lineup, nor should it be because that means one of Karaban, Jackson or one of the outside shooters has to sit.

Reaction Score
Keep it as is. Hurley knows what he's doing.

Now you have 40 minutes of matchup nightmare to account for - on teams that will have maybe one person to play with either of these guys.

Imagine Sanogo bodies your starting 5 for 10 mins a half, and then when he needs to rest you bring in your "back-up" to abuse said tired starter or ill-equiped bench player.

Two bigs doesn't work in a Hurley offense. And it doesn't make sense. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Reaction Score
I think people don't realize the impact Sanogo had on this game. Iowa State game planned to take Sanogo out of the game. This opened up opertunities for everyone else.
came here to say this. this play seems like a really good example:

uconn is running one of their standard high-low plays to get sanogo a post touch, but iowa state takes it away by having newton's defender cheat off the corner, threatening to double (triple?) team sanogo on the catch. andre makes the correct read to get newton a wide-open three that ends up being one of the biggest shots of the game.

Reaction Score
Nah. But it's getting closer to a consistent 25-15 minute split. Keep both of them fresh and just never let the opponent rest.

And, if Sanogo is having a bad game and Clingan is rolling, I have no problem with using Sanogo to back up Clingan.
It's this.

Clingan still doesn't have the conditioning to go 30 mpg. Sanogo wore down at the end of last year under heavy usage.

The solution is obvious and it's exactly what you suggest. Let Clingan dominate in spurts, ride him here and there. Keep Sanogo fresh.

It also mitigates concern about foul trouble.

Playing them together might also make both worse.

Reaction Score
Yeah, each of them are so good that it's tough to have either of them play less than 20 minutes. I don't think they should play too many minutes together, but Hurley should experiment with seeing how effective they can be together. Sanogo is the Big East pre-season player of the year. He should be playing at least 30 minutes. Are you only going to play Clinghan 10 minutes per game?

Reaction Score
Yeah, each of them are so good that it's tough to have either of them play less than 20 minutes. I don't think they should play too many minutes together, but Hurley should experiment with seeing how effective they can be together. Sanogo is the Big East pre-season player of the year. He should be playing at least 30 minutes. Are you only going to play Clinghan 10 minutes per game?

25 and 15, little bit more or less depending on matchups and fouls.

Reaction Score
People have the hardest times understanding that low passing skill =/= selfishness. Adama has never been anything but a good teammate and selfless guy. He's just a crappy passer.
And the coaches tell Adama to be aggressive, because he's incredibly skilled and mostly unstoppable. His first option should always be to attack. Only when that's stopped should he try to find someone.

Reaction Score
Strong disagree, did everyone already forgot what our offense has looked like the past few years trying to play 2 bigs? And that's with a big in Whaley who was a positive on the defensive end when on the floor at the 4

Reaction Score
I think a 25/15 split on average is pretty reasonable and pretty much what has happened this year. Just for reference, Sanogo averaged about 29 last year and definitely had times where he was worn down which led to some ineffectiveness and foul issues.

Reaction Score
I think we need to slow way down. The youngster was in a so so to good performance range before this weekend against weaker competition . He could just as quickly slide back there as most freshman experience. Let's not add pressure beyond what already exists at this level.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think we need to slow way down. The youngster was in a so so to good performance range before this weekend against weaker competition . He could just as quickly slide back there as most freshman experience. Let's not add pressure beyond what already exists at this level.

Hard disagree.

He’s been consistently quite good from the jump.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Strong disagree, did everyone already forgot what our offense has looked like the past few years trying to play 2 bigs?
I hope so. Because nothing can be gained by using the past few years as any kind benchmark. This is a new and vastly better team.

Reaction Score
I think a 25/15 split on average is pretty reasonable and pretty much what has happened this year. Just for reference, Sanogo averaged about 29 last year and definitely had times where he was worn down which led to some ineffectiveness and foul issues.
It's reasonable, but if you have the player of the year in the conference, are you really going to limit him to 25 minutes? Tell me the last conference player of the year to average only 25 minutes? I totally agree that Sanogo was spent at the end of the year last year. Having Clingan there should ease the burden both physically and mentally so that he can finish this year strong.

We'll see how things play out here. I'm sure Clingan will have his tough stretches as a freshman. I'm thinking Sanogo getting 30 minutes, and Clingan getting 15 might be the right mix depending on matchups and situations.

Reaction Score
It's reasonable, but if you have the player of the year in the conference, are you really going to limit him to 25 minutes? Tell me the last conference player of the year to average only 25 minutes? I totally agree that Sanogo was spent at the end of the year last year. Having Clingan there should ease the burden both physically and mentally so that he can finish this year strong.

We'll see how things play out here. I'm sure Clingan will have his tough stretches as a freshman. I'm thinking Sanogo getting 30 minutes, and Clingan getting 15 might be the right mix depending on matchups and situations.
With all due respect, I don't really care about Adama Sanogo winning BE POY. I want UConn winning games in March

Reaction Score

I don't see any way Sanogo averages 30 minutes per this season. He's averaging 24 per now and it still feels like Clingan isn't playing enough. We'll also get Samson back soon.

Reaction Score

I'm not really sure what your suggestion is here. We both agree that at 29 minutes a game, he was often gassed during games later in the year, but giving him 25 minutes is too few?

Adama is a big guy to begin with and is wildly active for a center of his size. He needs some breaks. And the reality is that foul trouble and game flow will dictate a lot of this anyways. There are going to be games with Sanogo gets 2 fouls with ten minutes to go in the first half and Clingan plays 20 minutes, there are going to be games where Sanogo dominates and Clingan gets ten minutes.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Agreed. I’d try them with Newton, Hawkins, and Joey C.
As long as there's 3 shooters on with the two bigs I suspect it'll work. Can be any three of Newton, Hawkins, Calcaterra, Karaban, and possibly Alleyne/Diarra. I think you need the three out to be dangerous from outside to clear space for the two bigs to operate. So I don't think having Jackson with them works.

On the other hand, wouldn't a lineup of Sanogo, Clingan, Karaban, Jackson and Newton be downright scary? Would we ever give up a rebound?

That's not to say I'd do either of them, but if Hurley wants time in the lab to experiment, fine.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom