Hurley Costs Us Another Game. Will the reporters ask some tough questions? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Hurley Costs Us Another Game. Will the reporters ask some tough questions?

Reaction Score
Hurley is a great recruiter. But overall he seems to be at best an average game coach and a terrible offensive coach. I suspect he will get us to a respectable level, NCAA bids, top 25s but won’t ever make us a serious contender. He is Mick Cronin but doesn’t shop in the boys department...
Shopping is better in the men's department, but you still have to match the shirts with the pants, meaning you have to wear the right shirt with the right pants, like not a striped shirt with plaid pants.

In a basketball game, that means matching a quicker time out with an opponent's surge, and taking a good shot if one presents itself early in the shot clock, rather than shooting with 10 seconds left on the clock and then taking a shot for the sake of avoiding a shot clock violation. This may be tempered by not wanting to get into a 70 or 80 point game, knowing your resources are limited because of injury.

BTW, looks like Cronin has a top 25 rated team, so I guess he is shopping in the right department unless his prior inability to advance at the dance, shows boys' department game management. I have never followed him closely, except to note he consistently had physical players, and had what looked like a short fuse.

He did not have a placid game demeanor.

Reaction Score
He needs to realize sooner. That’s what good coaches do. Adams was giving him NOTHING (as usual) and we were digging ourselves a hole. It’s a pattern. React faster.

you do know the definition of insanity right?? Hurley is insane when it comes to Adams. It needs to stop.
The definition also applies to the boneyarders that incessantly complain about Hurley and his coaching ability.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
How many days have we missed due to our ridiculous protocols? Almost a month's worth. There is no way that also has an affect on the team.
I don’t think you can blame that on Hurley, though. He doesn’t set the protocol.

Reaction Score
I don’t think you can blame that on Hurley, though. He doesn’t set the protocol.
Talk about a coach who is getting trashed by his fan base, I looked at the Indiana BB fan site, and they are all over Archie Miller. Apparently, he has not recruited well for the future based on the comments. Currently, IU is #11 on Lunardi's projections for the NCAA tournaments, as is UConn.

DH has proved to be an excellent recruiter, and hopefully any game management issues will be resolved over time, sooner rather than later .

An excerpt from their site is below. They are upset to put it mildly.

Reaction Score
Which makes it all the more ridiculous that they can recognize when to call a time out and he can’t. Or when to sit a guy that consistently provides nothing. Thanks for making that point even clearer.

And btw, I played 10 years of organized basketball and watch at least 100 games of college hoops per year.
That in itself makes you a head coach candidate. And the real bonus is the assistant coach pool on the BY is amazing.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
The definition also applies to the boneyarders that incessantly complain about Hurley and his coaching ability.
If he fixed the small things we wouldn’t be incessantly complaint about them. Being content with mistakes and poor play got us 5 years of garbage

Reaction Score
If he fixed the small things we wouldn’t be incessantly complaint about them. Being content with mistakes and poor play got us 5 years of garbage
Some boneyarders understand that there are mitigating factors that contribute to the play of the team. Some, not so much.

Reaction Score
Which makes it all the more ridiculous that they can recognize when to call a time out and he can’t. Or when to sit a guy that consistently provides nothing. Thanks for making that point even clearer.

And btw, I played 10 years of organized basketball and watch at least 100 games of college hoops per year.

This post narrowly beats out Chief claiming he's rewritten COVID protocols for the state of Connecticut for post of the weekend.

I can't believe a Power 5 AD hasn't cold-called you with a head coaching offer with that resume.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
And Seton Hall hit everything. Our defense wasn't good enough, but a team shooting well over their averages from everywhere, including a few prayers, isn't on the coaches.
Exactly. I think people watch these games with one eye closed. Watching Nova and GTown now. Both teams missing shots we have our fans whining about shots we miss, bad plays etc. It’s hoops. And no way a team having long stretches off going against decent teams that have been playing more or less regularly aren’t at a disadvantage unless they are lots better and aren’t down a key player.

Reaction Score
This post narrowly beats out Chief claiming he's rewritten COVID protocols for the state of Connecticut for post of the weekend.

I can't believe a Power 5 AD hasn't cold-called you with a head coaching offer with that resume.
That was in response to Polycom suggesting everyone complaining about Hurley knows nothing about basketball, has never played and doesn’t watch. But thanks for the plug.

Reaction Score
Shopping is better in the men's department, but you still have to match the shirts with the pants, meaning you have to wear the right shirt with the right pants, like not a striped shirt with plaid pants.

In a basketball game, that means matching a quicker time out with an opponent's surge, and taking a good shot if one presents itself early in the shot clock, rather than shooting with 10 seconds left on the clock and then taking a shot for the sake of avoiding a shot clock violation. This may be tempered by not wanting to get into a 70 or 80 point game, knowing your resources are limited because of injury.

BTW, looks like Cronin has a top 25 rated team, so I guess he is shopping in the right department unless his prior inability to advance at the dance, shows boys' department game management. I have never followed him closely, except to note he consistently had physical players, and had what looked like a short fuse.

He did not have a placid game demeanor.
USC smoked UCLA last night

Reaction Score
But overall he seems to be at best an average game coach and a terrible offensive coach.
So scoring 72, (above our average PPG) against a team that just held their previous opponent to 40 points isn’t good offense or offensive development?

Reaction Score
I find those asking Hurley to do something different off base. At end of day, timeouts don’t do crap. These games are uneven. There is some weird belief that coaches at this level are chess grandmasters and that coaching in game can mask deficiencies. It can’t. In game coaching can do more harm than good. Let your talent play.

This is The Bob Knight problem with how we look at coaches. Bob Knight made it seem like his coaching turned every game from a loss into a win by his sheer desire. You can’t manage a game possession by possession. Any coach who tries fails.

One of the most annoying story lines whenever UConn used to lose is people say it was about heart, leadership, wanting it more. At the end of the day, it was about skill, ability and execution.

Calhoun kicked the asses of all-time greats before, and had his lunch handed to him by Fred Hoiberg in his last game (that team went sideways Calhoun. Should have been a title contender).

hurley can recruit, runs good offense, gets team to play hard. A timeout here or there? If that’s the difference between winning and losing you aren’t that good anyway.

Reaction Score
I understand the issue some have with DH not calling a TO during Seton Hall's early run but I am sure he was waiting for the under 16 TO and coaches (been there) hate to burn one so early in the game. Time outs are like gold at the end of close games, I always wanted at least two in my pocket for the last minute.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

10 years of organized basketball? So where’d you play in college?

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score

I'm torn because "ignore" has me feeling like I'm missing out on some gems. So the updates are appreciated!

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I understand the issue some have with DH not calling a TO during Seton Hall's early run but I am sure he was waiting for the under 16 TO and coaches (been there) hate to burn one so early in the game. Time outs are like gold at the end of close games, I always wanted at least two in my pocket for the last minute.
how many did hurley have when the game ended?

Reaction Score
Again...why aren’t the bench coaches chirping in Hurley’s ear to call a timeout and put in substitutes?!

Reaction Score
how many did hurley have when the game ended?
Hurley used no timeouts in the first half and one with 6:12 left in the game and one with 9 seconds left in the game.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
That was in response to Polycom suggesting everyone complaining about Hurley knows nothing about basketball, has never played and doesn’t watch. But thanks for the plug.
I’m not wrong. @ me next time. 99% of the people complaining know 0 about basketball. @nelsonmuntz is complaining I’m sure but at least he’s an elite basketball mind even though he wants to make love to Josh Carlton

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom