Hurley Costs Us Another Game. Will the reporters ask some tough questions? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Hurley Costs Us Another Game. Will the reporters ask some tough questions?

Reaction Score
Don't forget our D getting the ball back with 6 seconds to go in the first half and we don't get a shot off. The T was really bad considering it was an out of bounds call not a foul/ no foul issue that favored one team. Polley being eliminated from our offense by our last 2 opponents needs a response from the staff as to what are they going to do about it.

Reaction Score
You cannot fall behind 18 points in the first half and say "we should have won that game". Regardless of how the rest of the game plays out, you can't expect to win after falling behind by almost 20 points.

Keep in mind we also came out flat in our first game vs Creighton after a 17 day Covid lay off. Im not making excuses, but these extremely long breaks in the season are very bad.
It’s not even an excuse. Most teams have struggled after a halt. Seton Hall has played 8 more games than us. At full strength and under normal circumstances, Seton Hall can’t even run in the same gym as us. Today was simply one of those days.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I’m tired of the excuses from Hurley. No Bouknight, no Jackson, too many covid breaks, no enough guys outside the window, officials, etc etc We had 2 weeks to prepare for hall and we came out and almost immediately dug ourselves a 16 point deficit. That’s on him for not having them prepared. The irony is eliminating excuses is a huge part of the Hurley mantra. Hall is a slightly better than .500 team. We were favored. This game was winnable and with the shorted schedule we need to win these games.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I wish Hurley would call timeouts to reinforce the importance of putting the ball in the hoop. Maybe also remind the guys to stay in front of the other team, I think that would help.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
50% from the field, 50% from three and 86% from the free throw line but Hurley didn’t call a timeout!!

Give some credit where credit is due, It felt like seton hall hit every big shot and quite frankly threw in a lot of junk.

Chalk it up as one of those days - the fact that we continue to compete against tournament teams without an all american 20 PPG scorer and the numerous layoffs due to covid is a positive - you have to give the coaching staff credit for that.

If you asked this forum before the season how many games we’d win without Bouk you would’ve seen some pretty atrocious numbers even from the most optimistic yarders
Preach on @Justin M, Jared Rhoden fumbles the ball at his shoe laces with Dre giving him the blues on d. Rhoden picks that thing up at .01 and bladow. Straight bullish.

Reaction Score
I dont know about rest of thread but hurleys T was dumb. Can’t call it anything but dumb. 2nd time he’s done that recently.

either learn the right game situations and times for T ( and honestly that’s reserved for a select few game coach masters, most are terrible at it) or don’t get them at all.
Ball was clearly off UConn. Dan, shut up and coach. Your offense (I use the term loosely) is awful. This is NCAA Division I, not the Rucker summer league. How about some designed plays, not..................... let's see who can go one-on-one, play matador defense, and shoot bricks for free throws? It's not only bad, it's ugly. This might be my final men's hoops posting, as I can't stand watching any more lousy basketball.

BTW.............................I know a wee bit about basketball, having played for Digger Phelps.

And I do love UConn hockey.

Reaction Score
I’m tired of the excuses from Hurley. No Bouknight, no Jackson, too many covid breaks, no enough guys outside the window, officials, etc etc We had 2 weeks to prepare for hall and we came out and almost immediately dug ourselves a 16 point deficit. That’s on him for not having them prepared. The irony is eliminating excuses is a huge part of the Hurley mantra. Hall is a slightly better than .500 team. We were favored. This game was winnable and with the shorted schedule we need to win these games.
That sounds good. But multiple breaks in your season, limited game action, and missing arguable 3 of your top players is a valid excuse.

Reaction Score
It's on Hurley 100% and the fact that due to our protocols we've missed about a months work of practice and games

To quote Iverson, "practices, we talking about practices?!". No, we need more games and health. Hurley himself said as much.

I do not understand why Hurley won't call timeouts to stop opposing team runs. Must be his philosophy. The technical foul also hurt us.

Reaction Score
In-Game coaching definitely needs work. It's like the little engine that almost could with Hurley and the team against good teams. BAdams playing so much and Cole as our main point guard is killing the team. Polley not being put in positions to get shots open is making us easy to scout and beat.

Teams don't even worry about our inside game or penetration from guards. Teams know stay tight on Polley and the whole team is discombobulated.

Not utilizing timeouts well, the right players not playing nearly enough or put in positions to succeed is a big problem.

PS: AJacks needs to run point at least half of the game moving forward to change the dynamic. He needs to alternate with Gaff.

And to think they hired Hurley instead of you. Not sure what they we’re thinking?

Reaction Score
And to think they hired Hurley instead of you. Not sure what they we’re thinking?
The truth might be Hurley is a great recruiter, motivator and teacher, but a lousy strategist and tactician at this point in his career. Clearly on my mind he has some work to do.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
The posters here are the reason college basketball and really college sports in general work. No idea what your watching just that a school you like the name on the front is playing so you feel compelled to provide your detailed basketball opinion on. I’m willing to bet the majority of people destroying hurley this game haven’t watched enough basketball to accurately identify a pin down screen explain why it works and how you defend against it. But yes Hurley not calling a timeout in the first half while seton hall who hit 4 3s the game prior who is actively having an out of body experience is why we lost.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
In-Game coaching definitely needs work. It's like the little engine that almost could with Hurley and the team against good teams. BAdams playing so much and Cole as our main point guard is killing the team. Polley not being put in positions to get shots open is making us easy to scout and beat.

Teams don't even worry about our inside game or penetration from guards. Teams know stay tight on Polley and the whole team is discombobulated.

Not utilizing timeouts well, the right players not playing nearly enough or put in positions to succeed is a big problem.

PS: AJacks needs to run point at least half of the game moving forward to change the dynamic. He needs to alternate with Gaff.
You realize that sanogo gets doubled in the post on the catch pretty regularly?

Reaction Score
Stop! This loss is not on Hurley, or anybody else on the coaching staff. We had not played in 10 days, and we still don't have Bouknight. That's why we lost.
maybe not all on him but his cotinue decsion to play adams over gaff is a contribuitng factor

Reaction Score
Hurley is a great recruiter. But overall he seems to be at best an average game coach and a terrible offensive coach. I suspect he will get us to a respectable level, NCAA bids, top 25s but won’t ever make us a serious contender. He is Mick Cronin but doesn’t shop in the boys department...

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Hurley is a great recruiter. But overall he seems to be at best an average game coach and a terrible offensive coach. I suspect he will get us to a respectable level, NCAA bids, top 25s but won’t ever make us a serious contender. He is Mick Cronin but doesn’t shop in the boys department...
So Ollie was a better in-game coach?

Reaction Score
I'd hate to see what this board would sound like if we had to watch an actual bad offensive team
We’re literally 42nd in kenpom offensive efficiency today despite missing one of the best scorers in America and playing a bunch of our games coming off huge layoffs.

This board is, as always, an all time collection of morons.

Reaction Score
I don't see him as a solid defender. I know a lot of folks around here believe that he is but I don't see it. Today he was especially terrible.
Adams has this lack of focus while ion D.

He’s capable of being a decent defender but he starts watching the ball instead of his man and all of a sudden his man is getting a pass and heading to the hoop and Adams is steps behind.

Or his man has the ball and adams is playing tight D, but falls for a simple head fake and can’t recover.

At best adams is a passable defender, at worst he gets torched.

Reaction Score
lol you take a time out to regroup and adjust. You take a time out to try to break up their flow and momentum. Every game is the same thing
Last time you saw a basketball team go on a 10-0 run and call TO? Never happens.

Reaction Score
The posters here are the reason college basketball and really college sports in general work. No idea what your watching just that a school you like the name on the front is playing so you feel compelled to provide your detailed basketball opinion on. I’m willing to bet the majority of people destroying hurley this game haven’t watched enough basketball to accurately identify a pin down screen explain why it works and how you defend against it. But yes Hurley not calling a timeout in the first half while seton hall who hit 4 3s the game prior who is actively having an out of body experience is why we lost.
Which makes it all the more ridiculous that they can recognize when to call a time out and he can’t. Or when to sit a guy that consistently provides nothing. Thanks for making that point even clearer.

And btw, I played 10 years of organized basketball and watch at least 100 games of college hoops per year.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
gonna be big fun when coach dan gets to the promised land, and the college bball world starts discussions with 'wwdd?' (what would dan do?') im guessin that by then, he'll have grown out his three locks into a braid, wear a dashiki and flip flops, and have pressers where he expounds on the existential nature of existence. big fun, can't wait. he could only possibly lose folks like me if he starts preaching aboot crystals or mung bean sprouts. other than that, im good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom