Hunt for the CFP 2017 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Hunt for the CFP 2017

Reaction Score
The Final Four have been chosen. You just don't know it yet.
Clemson will beat Miami in ACC CG
Alabama will beat Auburn, then UGA in SEC CG
Oklahoma will win B12 CG
And drum roll...... OHIO St will win out, beat Wisconsin in B1G CG

Final Four--Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma, Ohio St.
Take it to the bank.

Reaction Score
Oklahoma will win B12 CG
And drum roll. OHIO St will win out, beat Wisconsin in B1G CG

Take it to the bank.

Don't you mean Miami will beat Clemson in ACC CG

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Oklahoma will win B12 CG
And drum roll. OHIO St will win out, beat Wisconsin in B1G CG

Take it to the bank.

Take it to the bank - like UConn beating USF?

Reaction Score
Which SEC team goes to the tournament if Auburn wins out and Oklahoma and Wisconsin win out and one of Miami/Clemson win out. Oklahoma, Wisconsin, and either Clemson or Miami would already be in. Does the committee go with Auburn or Bama in that scenerio?

IMO they would have to take a two loss Auburn and a one loss Bama would be pounding sand which would be awesome. Or would they screw Oklahoma and take Bama and Auburn?

as always root for chaos.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
TCU and Notre Dame are eliminated.
7 teams remain.

Snoozer Saturday...

NOON
Mercer @ #2 Alabama, SECN
Virginia @ #7 Miami, ABC
#18 UCF @ Temple, ESPNU
Citadel @ #4 Clemson, ACCN

Kentucky @ #1 Georgia
#5 Oklahoma
@Kansas , ESPN

TBD
Michigan @ #8 Wisconsin

Other games of note
LA-Monroe @ #10 Auburn, E2 @ Noon
UCLA @ #11 USC, ABC @ 8
Illinois @ #13 Ohio St, ABC @ 330

Reaction Score
I'm thinking Miami and not ready to pencil in OSU over Wisconsin just yet. They are an unknown that has stepped up when needed and may have a little more left in the tank than OSU when they meet.

If Wisconsin Miami and Bama win out, who's #1, 2, 3 ? And if Oklahoma wins out #1 may not feel so lucky.

Until next weekend that is. Check that. What a crap weekend. Every OOC cupcake beater should drop 2 spots.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That and Auburn already blew their shot. They lost twice. They are out. If you can lose twice and still make it into the playoff, what is the point of the regular season. The P5 has a 1.5 loss handicap. That is fair. Anymore is ridiculous. And we are not talking about a MAC or Sun Belt school here. We are talking about an AAC school. The AAC is the clear no. 6 conference. Back in the days of the BCS, the MW was the clear no. 7 where there were 6 power conferences, and I believe Boise State got ranked as high as 3 or 4 before.

They aren’t out. If they win out they are in.

There is nothing more simple than that.

Continuing to argue the opposite because you don’t like it is silly.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
When your OOC is FIU, Maryland, APSU and you duck Georgia Tech you self-eliminate.

Exactly this. If you're G5 and you want to get in the playoff, schedule a hard OOC. It's not that difficult to figure out...USF and UCF both played no one and won't even have played 12 games. They shouldn't be in the playoff

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Exactly this. If you're G5 and you want to get in the playoff, schedule a hard OOC. It's not that difficult to figure out...USF and UCF both played no one and won't even have played 12 games. They shouldn't be in the playoff

As you should already know through our own experiences, it's really difficult to land big games while your in the American. Nobody of any importance wants to play you in your own home, and we need the money from the home games to survive the disparity that they've already created.

Sometimes we are fortunate to get a nice pay day game like Clemson. But remember that UConn is one of the few schools that the P5 consider an acceptable opponent (I think the B1G said we're 'okay to play').

We are doubly punished by the P5. We shouldn't behave like it's okay, even if it's the way that it is...

Reaction Score
Randy's opinion:

Neill Ostrout‏ @NeillOstrout53m 53 minutes ago
UConn football coach Randy Edsall, asked about UCF's relative lack of respect, goes on a bit of a rant.''

Neill Ostrout‏ @NeillOstrout54m 54 minutes ago
Edsall: "There's a, I don't want to say bias, but there's too much emphasis on the Power 5."

Edsall's answer: "You have a playoff system. Not with just four teams, and not decided by people who go in and look at only certain material."

Edsall": "It's all about beauty points and style points and maybe your name."

Neill Ostrout‏ @NeillOstrout52m 52 minutes ago
Edsall: "Do it like the NFL. ... You win your division, you make the playoffs. And then they have two wild card teams."

Neill Ostrout‏ @NeillOstrout51m 51 minutes ago
If only the SEC, ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac-12 are going to be considered, Edsall says, make another division.

Edsall on a new division of football: "...If you're going to exclude people or discriminate against people."

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Randy's opinion:

UConn football coach Randy Edsall, asked about UCF's relative lack of respect, goes on a bit of a rant.''

Neill Ostrout‏ @NeillOstrout54m 54 minutes ago
Edsall: "There's a, I don't want to say bias, but there's too much emphasis on the Power 5."

Edsall's answer: "You have a playoff system. Not with just four teams, and not decided by people who go in and look at only certain material."

Edsall": "It's all about beauty points and style points and maybe your name."

Neill Ostrout‏ @NeillOstrout52m 52 minutes ago
Edsall: "Do it like the NFL. ... You win your division, you make the playoffs. And then they have two wild card teams."

If only the SEC, ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac-12 are going to be considered, Edsall says, make another division.

Edsall on a new division of football: "...If you're going to exclude people or discriminate against people."

And he's 100% correct...

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
As you should already know through our own experiences, it's really difficult to land big games while your in the American. Nobody of any importance wants to play you in your own home, and we need the money from the home games to survive the disparity that they've already created.

Sometimes we are fortunate to get a nice pay day game like Clemson. But remember that UConn is one of the few schools that the P5 consider an acceptable opponent (I think the B1G said we're 'okay to play').

We are doubly punished by the P5. We shouldn't behave like it's okay, even if it's the way that it is...

SMU played TCU this year, Memphis played UCLA, Cincinnati played Michigan, ECU played Virginia Tech, Tulane played Oklahoma...granted, many of those are not home and homes, but if you're serious about making CFP you schedule a one off with a huge opponent and if you win then the revenue you lose on that one home game is a wash with the revenue you've generated from being a better team who makes CFP. It has much less to do with revenue than it has to do with USF and UCF strategically making weak schedules so that they can go undefeated

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
SMU played TCU this year, Memphis played UCLA, Cincinnati played Michigan, ECU played Virginia Tech, Tulane played Oklahoma...granted, many of those are not home and homes, but if you're serious about making CFP you schedule a one off with a huge opponent and if you win then the revenue you lose on that one home game is a wash with the revenue you've generated from being a better team who makes CFP. It has much less to do with revenue than it has to do with USF and UCF strategically making weak schedules so that they can go undefeated

Yes, we all try our best to get that one game, and have to live with the other three non-conference games that we end up getting. Then, what the P5 says is, "Well Memphis, yes you went undefeated (I know they lost one) and beat UCLA on the road, but that's only good enough for 6th place in our circular-argument computer model... better luck next year!"

The P5 has set up a situation where the G5 school has to go undefeated two years in a row to even get a chance. It's ridiculous...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yes, we all try our best to get that one game, and have to live with the other three non-conference games that we end up getting. Then, what the P5 says is, "Well Memphis, yes you went undefeated (I know they lost one) and beat UCLA on the road, but that's only good enough for 6th place in our circular-argument computer model... better luck next year!"

The P5 has set up a situation where the G5 school has to go undefeated two years in a row to even get a chance. It's ridiculous...

Do you think UCF is one of the four best teams in the country?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Do you think UCF is one of the four best teams in the country?
Deserving is the question not best. Is Auburn one of one of the four most deserving if they win out?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Deserving is the question not best. Is Auburn one of one of the four most deserving if they win out?

They are more deserving than UCF. I’d have to see who else is available to know if they are in the top 4 most deserving.

Based on what you guys are saying a Sun Belt team could schedule 4 CUSA dregs and be deserving just because they didn’t lose. That’s insane.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
They are more deserving than UCF. I’d have to see who else is available to know if they are in the top 4 most deserving.

Based on what you guys are saying a Sun Belt team could schedule 4 CUSA dregs and be deserving just because they didn’t lose. That’s insane.
Not even close. As I've already pointed out, the Sun Belt is not the American. There is a reason why we wouldn't have this discussion about a Troy. Unlike the Sun Belt, MAC, and C-USA; the American and MW are legitimate 1-A conferences with somewhat well known schools. The other three are 1-AA conferences masquerading as 1-A. I understand leaving out an undefeated MAC school in favor of a two loss SEC team. I do not understand leaving out Boise State or UCF for a two loss P5 team. One loss? Sure. Two losses? No way.
The gulf between the P5 and G5 is about the same as between the AAC/MW and the other three.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not even close. As I've already pointed out, the Sun Belt is not the American. There is a reason why we wouldn't have this discussion about a Troy. Unlike the Sun Belt, MAC, and C-USA; the American and MW are legitimate 1-A conferences with somewhat well known schools. The other three are 1-AA conferences masquerading as 1-A. I understand leaving out an undefeated MAC school in favor of a two loss SEC team. I do not understand leaving out Boise State or UCF for a two loss P5 team. One loss? Sure. Two losses? No way.
The gulf between the P5 and G5 is about the same as between the AAC/MW and the other three.

Ah so it’s just undefeated in a league you support. Got it.

UCF isn’t one of the four best teams in the country - nor do they have one of the four best resumes.

Is the deck stacked so they can’t get the resume? Sure but that doesn’t change the fact they don’t in 2017.

For God’s sake they skipped the Georgia Tech game. What did they think would happen when they did that?

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Ah so it’s just undefeated in a league you support. Got it.

UCF isn’t one of the four best teams in the country - nor do they have one of the four best resumes.

Is the deck stacked so they can’t get the resume? Sure but that doesn’t change the fact they don’t in 2017.

For God’s sake they skipped the Georgia Tech game. What did they think would happen when they did that?
No it's undefeated in a league that regularly goes over . 500 in OOC games and even beat the ACC head to head just two years ago. I'm not asking for the AAC or MW to be on the same plane as the P5 just that they are only disadvantaged by 1.5 losses.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No it's undefeated in a league that regularly goes over . 500 in OOC games and even beat the ACC head to head just two years ago. I'm not asking for the AAC or MW to be on the same plane as the P5 just that they are only disadvantaged by 1.5 losses.

It’s not leagues that get judged it’s teams.

Sagarin has their schedule 99th. They should be mad at UConn, Temple, ECU and Cincinnati. They are dragging them down.

Oh yeah and they played Austin Peay, FIU and Maryland OOC and ducked Georgia Tech.

shizzle787

Reaction Score

Sagarin has their schedule 99th. They should be mad at UConn, Temple, ECU and Cincinnati. They are dragging them down.

Oh yeah and they played Austin Peay, FIU and Maryland OOC and ducked Georgia Tech.
They didn't duck Georgia Tech. There was a hurricane. I'm sure Frost realizes not playing GT hurt them and they wanted to play that game. By your logic, they shouldn't have scheduled Austin Peay at the last minute.
Every division in the P5 has two to four crap teams. It happens.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They didn't duck Georgia Tech. There was a hurricane. I'm sure Frost realizes not playing

Georgia Tech offered to host. They stayed home. They ducked them.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Georgia Tech offered to host. They stayed home. They ducked them.
Definitely more involved than that. If you know anything about UCF's scheduling history over the last 20 years, they purposefully schedule tough.

shizzle787

Reaction Score

Wisconsin's schedule is only marginally better, and mark my words, they will get in even if they lose to Michigan as long as they win the Big 10 title game and their season finale.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Definitely more involved than that. If you know anything about UCF's scheduling history over the last 20 years, they purposefully schedule tough.

Well I see their schedule and it sucks.

I see they could have gone to Georgia Tech and they stayed home.

So they can go 12-0 and not sniff the Playoff. Too bad for them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom