Houston Chronicle exclusive: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference. | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Houston Chronicle exclusive: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference.

Reaction Score
It’s funny going onto Kansas’ message board. They think they will end up in the B10/ACC as if they give those spots up.

Sounds way too familiar.
I can’t imagine Kansas not getting scooped up.

Reaction Score
Not to get Political ... but this is Economics as well folks. Oligarchs cheat. The top dogs eventually want to start eliminating the others at the table. And that is ... why "trickle down" is a crazy thing to even consider It ain't gonna happen. The Natural flow beginning 15 years ago was the College Football money, with greater dollars and new technology for eyeballs, was gonna keep getting to a more elite group. That means the Washington State, Baylor, Northwestern ADs should be as nervous as UCONNs. It is flowing towards a SuperLeague and they are not gonna care about keeping Vandy along for its great academics. This is the way the folks in the Hamptons eventually scrapes the middle class in Smithtown.

Along those lines here's a 2018 article from OU Insider that talked about this:

Conference re-alignment will come - shaped by tech, not TV

“Conference realignment will come,” he said (high ranking executive at Amazon) , “but probably not in the way you’re thinking.”
He explained that Amazon, Netflix and perhaps even Apple, Google and Facebook, (aka ‘FAANG’), will be more instrumental than current TV networks in reshaping what we know now as conference affiliations. Naturally, I doubted this statement, until he explained why. “We already have more cash than ABC/ESPN, NBC or CBS” he said. “And, In another five or six years, it won’t even be close. And too, ”the tech companies are far more advanced than the networks when it comes to knowing how to use the future broadcast technologies, (streaming) and that gap is growing to"........

"Again, back to my friend at Amazon. “We’re still seven or eight years away,” he said, “but if we had to restructure the landscape today, we would not start by negotiating with a conference. We don’t care about the SEC, Big 12 of Big 10 as a whole. In our opinion, those entities are not our focus. “Instead, we would want to identify 30 or 40 teams that command the biggest audience. That may be by reputation or location, but generally we all know that there are members in every one of these conferences that frankly don’t move the needle. "

Reaction Score
I can’t imagine Kansas not getting scooped up.
Currently their compliance is a tire fire along with the football program

Not saying it won't happen but kind of like how UConn was embroiled with the APR issues at the worst itme during the last round of realignment, feels kinda similar

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
first. I HATE Wetzel, Thamel, Forde, McMurray ... and that WV troll and the Minnesota guy. Everytime realignment rises

Not to get Political ... but this is Economics as well folks. Oligarchs cheat. The top dogs eventually want to start eliminating the others at the table. And that is ... why "trickle down" is a crazy thing to even consider It ain't gonna happen. The Natural flow beginning 15 years ago was the College Football money, with greater dollars and new technology for eyeballs, was gonna keep getting to a more elite group. That means the Washington State, Baylor, Northwestern ADs should be as nervous as UCONNs. It is flowing towards a SuperLeague and they are not gonna care about keeping Vandy along for its great academics. This is the way the folks in the Hamptons eventually scrapes the middle class in Smithtown.

We can hope. Like the European attempt at the Super League in Football. It can fall apart because the public just pukes all over it.

You almost seem to be suggesting that after the Big 12 is gutted and its spoils split, the next step for the P4 would be to look for ways to become the Big 3.

</sarcasm off>

I do get a kick out of some people not understanding the SEC and B1G will always want to expand and be dominant. They didn't get to their positions without acquisitions and they must keep feeding the beast. Sitting still and idle isn't in the blood.

Reaction Score
I do get a kick out of some people not understanding the SEC and B1G will always want to expand and be dominant. They didn't get to their positions without acquisitions and they must keep feeding the beast. Sitting still and idle isn't in the blood.
You ain't kidding, or we have the sad tale of the 2 John's of the world, Swofford vs. Marinatto, as exhibit A.

Reaction Score
You ain't kidding, or we have the sad tale of the 2 John's of the world, Swofford vs. Marinatto, as exhibit A.

Nobody was more proactive in protecting by expanding than Swofford....I wonder how Phillips, his successor, will do?

And I wonder when state politics might rear its head, like when the Virginia governor forced a vote for VT.

Already, a Texas Representative has stated he is filing a bill that would prevent a state university from changing conferences without legislative approval...could this idea spread?

Reaction Score
I really don’t like the way this is going for other programs across the country. Football rules everything, but OU and UT joining the SEC will have major implications for other sports as well. Really convenient ESPN and SEC have their TV deal set in stone, the favoritism and programming on the "world's leader" is going to be insane.

Reaction Score
It'll help until it doesn't. At some point it feels like the end game is these schools leaving the NCAA and they're going to send out an invite to everyone.
Imagine all the anti-trust lawsuits. Who tampered with what schools and the like. Maybe we'll even discover ESPN's role in the current and previous rounds of CRA.
Nothing would be finer than to see them dangling on the precipice paying off damages for destroying schools' historical alignments and their income sources all so ESPN could create several new networks from which they could profit.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
Idk if anyone checks Reddit but there are tons of delusional fans of big 12/ AAC schools that think life boats from the PAC 12, ACC or Big 10 are coming for them. I would feel bad for them but gestures broadly at realignment over the past decade.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I really don’t like the way this is going for other programs across the country. Football rules everything, but OU and UT joining the SEC will have major implications for other sports as well. Really convenient ESPN and SEC have their TV deal set in stone, the favoritism and programming on the "world's leader" is going to be insane.

Is this a copy/paste from 5 years ago?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Idk if anyone checks Reddit but there are tons of delusional fans of big 12/ AAC schools that think life boats from the PAC 12, ACC or Big 10 are coming for them. I would feel bad for them but gestures broadly at realignment over the past decade.

Anyone who uses Reddit for anything but investing advice is a fool.

Reaction Score
It doesn't bother me. I'm in schadenfreude mode. Let other schools have to live through what UConn went through.

Reaction Score
All these WVU and Cincy guys thinking they’re going to the ACC with or w/o ND… laughable. I’d hope at least Cincy and probably WV are behind us. Not that we have anything more than a microscopic chance, of course.

Reaction Score
All these WVU and Cincy guys thinking they’re going to the ACC with or w/o ND… laughable. I’d hope at least Cincy and probably WV are behind us. Not that we have anything more than a microscopic chance, of course.
It's like no one remembers how the B1G, ACC and SEC all turned down West Virginia. They went to the Big XII because it was the only other conference that would take them

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
Or the people that think the big 10 is going to add Iowa state, or even WVU. It’s hilarious to read.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom