Hobbies | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Hobbies

Reaction Score
Other than stalking HS kid recruits, what other things do you guys / girls like to do?

I have an infant son now so my partying days are behind me. I'm wrapping up a huge work project and will have more free time soon. Time that's better spent off the cesspool. As I'm a structural engineer by trade, I like puzzles and to build things. I just put together one of these at nights after the little one goes to sleep:

I also bought some basic robotics kits and am looking into online puzzle sites like Lumosity. Any other suggestions? Or maybe just mention strange things that peak your interest. Without a doubt there are some LARPers on here.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have too much time on my hands. I still read a lot, both fiction and history/politics. I am a devoted Premier League fan. I used to drink a lot of beer, but those days are past. I don't cook seriously except occasionally for friends. I don't expect to write any more cookbooks. My most purposeful efforts are my film intros/reviews. I try to do at least 4 a week. My latest one is on "Yojimbo." I try to comment on a very diverse selection of films.
Sometimes I enjoy the background research more than writing the opinions. I do of course read the 'Yard several times a day. Life could be a whole lot worse.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
My most purposeful efforts are my film intros/reviews. I try to do at least 4 a week. My latest one is on "Yojimbo." I try to comment on a very diverse selection of films.
Sometimes I enjoy the background research more than writing the opinions. I do of course read the 'Yard several times a day. Life could be a whole lot worse.

Those reviews are very interesting btw.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Cooking mostly, at the moment. Reading political history and historical novels. Trying to get better at gardening. Learning how to fix things in the house beyond my comfort zone. Back injury put kibosh on golf this year, not sure of future. Developing a food blog with both recipes and food politics topics. About two months behind my originally planned launch. Hopefully by time I retire in a few years it's generating some modest revenue. Wish I had the patience for artisanal stuff like woodworking.
this one crushes it. should be required reading in school.
after hearing that cooking was his new hobby, and upon meeting George Jepsen, the first thing I said was 'how do you cook rice?' honest man that he is, he laughed and said 'I just follow the directions on the box.' turns out that his new cooking hobby centered around smoking meat. righteous dude, shoulda been our governor.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I have too much time on my hands. I still read a lot, both fiction and history/politics. I am a devoted Premier League fan. I used to drink a lot of beer, but those days are past. I don't cook seriously except occasionally for friends. I don't expect to write any more cookbooks. My most purposeful efforts are my film intros/reviews. I try to do at least 4 a week. My latest one is on "Yojimbo." I try to comment on a very diverse selection of films.
u r a wise man, and those 'movie mumblings' are pure 'gold, jerry gold.' hey management! get this guy to a bigger stage! the world needs to know!

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I’m writing two fiction books built around baseball.

I also shamelessly love pro wrestling after not watching it for almost 20 years.

Reaction Score
Gardening. Indoor houseplants. Herbs. Different kinds of peppers. I have a spice rack filled with my own rosemary, thyme, basil, oregano, crushed red pepper blends, as well as different asian chili sauces. I also make a great smoked jalapeño and roasted garlic sauce that I use in marinades all year long. Homemade canned salsas (red and green). Infused oils. Infused alcohols.

Currently getting into fermenting and have a batch of sauerkraut in the works. As well as a batch of limoncello, except with grapefruit instead of lemon.

Reaction Score
So what's your standard advice for the guy like me with a couple binders of cards from the mid 70s to mid 80s?
Check on what the individual cards have sold for on eBay, so you have an idea of what they sell for and then try to sell them yourself or take them to a show and see what dealers will offer you for them

Reaction Score
Walking (about 4,000,000 steps a year) that’s over 2,000 miles
I also try to workout but lately have been bothered by (right ) shoulder pain.
Genealogy I have a significant public tree on Ancestry.com
I‘m a stickler for documentation . So my tree has much more documentation than names..
Lately we’ve been exploring our DNA connections .
I’ve also have had a some success re-uniting separated siblings
History has always been my passion and I love research.

Reaction Score
Have thousands of football, hockey, baseball and basketball cards from the 60's - early 90's. Some sets and unopened boxes Would love to sell but hate the idea of having to get them graded. Any suggestions? Also have a very extensive basketball card collection from 80's to early 90's. - not ready to part with it yet.
Collect stamps also.
what unopened boxes do you have?. I would check to see what the better cards have sold for on eBay sells to get an idea of current value then set up at a show or walk some of them around at a show or sell on eBay.
do cancelled stamps have any value?

Reaction Score
-Golf
-Paddle Tennis in winter
-Collecting sports memorabilia and cards (huge collection)...usually attend shows in Plainville and Enfield each month.
-Attending youngest son's (College basketball) and two nephew's (College football and college baseball) games
-Drinking Tito's mixed with Diet Polar Orange Dry
-Smoking cigars
-Concerts (mostly country)
-Binge watching series on Netflix and Amazon Prime
-lift weights
-play pitch (setback)
-manage fantasy football, baseball and golf teams

Try to avoid doing all of above on same day...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Gardening. Indoor houseplants. Herbs. Different kinds of peppers. I have a spice rack filled with my own rosemary, thyme, basil, oregano, crushed red pepper blends, as well as different asian chili sauces. I also make a great smoked jalapeño and roasted garlic sauce that I use in marinades all year long. Homemade canned salsas (red and green). Infused oils. Infused alcohols.

Currently getting into fermenting and have a batch of sauerkraut in the works. As well as a batch of limoncello, except with grapefruit instead of lemon.
Herbs? ;^)

Reaction Score
Xbox, Call of Duty, local craft beer/breweries, local wineries, scotch, Bourbons and of course UConn men's bball.

Recently started collecting again: have some nice autographed UConn basketball memorabilia, autographed movie items, Pops, Hot Toys, Mezco, Figuarts and Neca figures. Money Pits!

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I’ve been playing this “two dots” brain game on my phone. Mildly addictive and good for your cognition.

also took up amateur electric projects.

Reaction Score
i have played guitar in punk bands for most of my life, and that dominates the time i spend outside of my job as a non-profit grant-writer. i also like reading fiction, biking, and cooking.

and i've recently committed myself to playing pick-up 2 - 3 times per week! i need a lot of work on the jumper...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom