Hobbies | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Hobbies

Reaction Score
Other than stalking HS kid recruits, what other things do you guys / girls like to do?

I have an infant son now so my partying days are behind me. I'm wrapping up a huge work project and will have more free time soon. Time that's better spent off the cesspool. As I'm a structural engineer by trade, I like puzzles and to build things. I just put together one of these at nights after the little one goes to sleep:

I also bought some basic robotics kits and am looking into online puzzle sites like Lumosity. Any other suggestions? Or maybe just mention strange things that peak your interest. Without a doubt there are some LARPers on here.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Where did you find the Fugio, or is it top secret? I've thought about detecting but worry all the top sites in CT have been picked over.
In the yard of a late 1700’s Colonial house.
Yes, some of the more noticeable and public places have been detected thoroughly and lot of the good stuff already found but nothing is ever picked over 100%. A good detector will get deeper than a cheap one.
I suggest asking friends or acquaintances that may live in a very old house along with just asking permission from people you dont even know. Also research where old cellar holes may have been,swimming holes,fairgrounds,etc. All types of jewelry are also lost in modern parks,playgrounds,beaches...

Reaction Score
I'll be retiring soon and would love to build/rebuild the many birdhouses we have in our yard, some are pretty large and intricate (some look like oriental temples). But I have zero woodworking skills and just a small number of tools, things I buy ad hoc now & then, but it seems like I'm always searching just to find a screwdriver. I have space for a man cave and would like to set this up for a tool/woodworking shop that is organized and has everything I need for rebuilding the birdhouses and other small projects.
What would be a good list of basic tools to get?
How do people organize their tools?
Lots of great suggestions for other things too- another thing I'd like to try is welding. That might be something worth trying at a workshop or two to see if I like, then I can dive into it more deeply if I want.

Reaction Score
Model Trains

Attachments

• 299F9132-D7B6-4FEB-8AB7-9762E591629D.jpeg
    299F9132-D7B6-4FEB-8AB7-9762E591629D.jpeg
    87.8 KB · Views: 191

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Does anyone have hobbies that include panning, metal detecting, and/or wood carving?

I got a gold panning kit and looking to see if anyone can recommend some educational videos to watch and locations to try out. I know the northeast barely has any metals but I’m looking to learn more about it.

Also does anyone here go metal detecting or practice wood carving?

Looking to find some relaxing hobbies and I got hooked on these by watching some videos
So I got all three.

Wood carving is fun. I just ordered a sharpening stone, so I'm taking a brief pause in carving.

Any tips on metal detecting? Anything specific to look for when looking for a site?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Metal detecting.
Been doing this on and off for a number of years. I really enjoy not knowing what I may pull out of the ground. Ive found thousands of things over the years. Gold and silver coins from the Colonial era through today including a coin that I found in CT that was pre 1776. Many artifacts from the Civil War including bullets,buttons and belt buckles. My wife also likes the gold and silver jewelry that she gets to where.
Where have you gone and what do you look for in a site?

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
So I got all three.

Wood carving is fun. I just ordered a sharpening stone, so I'm taking a brief pause in carving.

Any tips on metal detecting? Anything specific to look for when looking for a site?

Very appropriate for a Husky fan.

Reaction Score
Where have you gone and what do you look for in a site

Homes that are pre 1964 are my favorite. That is the year they stopped putting silver into most coins. Obviously the older the home the older the coins will be. I have also found a lot of silver and gold jewelry in yards.
New England is a great place for old coins. Ask friends or people that you may know if you can detect their yard.
Also, parks , schools,fields. A little bit of research can be done online about past homes and buildings that are now gone.

Beaches are also great for jewelry. I like to do it at low tide because that is where most swimmers are during the high tide. Combine sun tan lotion with fingers that shrink when they are wet you get many a lost ring.

If you are going to buy a detector don’t go cheap. Coins that have been in the ground decades and centuries are deeper than modern day coins so you will want a good detector that finds them. Figure a minimum of $600. Whites and Garrett make good detectors.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
@Mister P Great. Thanks. Just got a Garrett Ace 300. What do you say when you ask someone if you can go on to their property? I read that you have to check in with the town/state if you go on their land. Is that true?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm a cyclist, road mostly. Anyone else ride near Mansfield or the surrounding areas? I used to ride about 100-150 miles a week, but I've been lazy for a year now....

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Just curious, is anyone on here active in any of the New England or Tri-state area car clubs (Porsche Club, BMW Car Club etc.?). I spent almost all of my free time (and income) racing cars and instructing at track events. Got out of it when we moved to Colorado.

Reaction Score
@Mister P
Great. Thanks. Just got a Garrett Ace 300. What do you say when you ask someone if you can go on to their property? I read that you have to check in with the town/state if you go on their land. Is that true?
That detector will do fine for you. I bought the ACE 400 for my kids a couple of years ago because they wanted to do a little detecting. It was used a couple of ties by them and has been collecting dust ever since. I use a Whites M6 and a Whites Beach Hunter 300.

I usually never have a problem if I’m on empty land that’s owned by a county of town. State and U.S. Parks are off limits. One time I was on a yard of an old house that had been abandoned for years and 3 cop cars stopped to see what I was doing there. Apparently a neighbor had called them. They were cool about it after I explained what I was doing and that I had no intention to go into the house.

Practice in your back yard. Get to know the different tones so you can tell the difference between junk and coins/jewelry. You should start out digging all hits so you can get used to what signals Are. Sometimes bad signals are also good finds.

I would highly recommend going to treasurenet.com
It is a great site for learning and seeing what is being found By others around the world.

Good luck !

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
That detector will do fine for you. I bought the ACE 400 for my kids a couple of years ago because they wanted to do a little detecting. It was used a couple of ties by them and has been collecting dust ever since. I use a Whites M6 and a Whites Beach Hunter 300.

I usually never have a problem if I’m on empty land that’s owned by a county of town. State and U.S. Parks are off limits. One time I was on a yard of an old house that had been abandoned for years and 3 cop cars stopped to see what I was doing there. Apparently a neighbor had called them. They were cool about it after I explained what I was doing and that I had no intention to go into the house.

Practice in your back yard. Get to know the different tones so you can tell the difference between junk and coins/jewelry. You should start out digging all hits so you can get used to what signals Are. Sometimes bad signals are also good finds.

I would highly recommend going to treasurenet.com
It is a great site for learning and seeing what is being found By others around the world.

Good luck !
Awesome. Thanks, I appreciate it. The laws are what I’m concerned about. What do you say to people of you want to look on their property?

Reaction Score
As a young pup, I was in a jam band with high school buds.

Once that fizzled out, our drummer, rhythm guitarist and sound guy have an off/on around hip-hop group.

Now, we're spread out between CT, Brooklyn, California and the Philippines so collaborating hasn't happened in years, but Zoom has helped rekindle that.

One weekday a week, we meet on Zoom, have a drink, brainstorm, clown around, write lyrics. Throughout the week we'll work on our individual instrumental and vocal parts and send it over to our buddy who produces the beats over in his studio in the Philippines.

Freakin' incredible technology.

Reaction Score
Awesome. Thanks, I appreciate it. The laws are what I’m concerned about. What do you say to people of you want to look on their property?
I have not knocked on a door of a total stranger. I usually go through friends or family to get permission. Always fill in the hole you dug nicely to make it look like you were never there. If you leave a pitted mess they will never let you back.

I went out recently to a local elementary school and found some silver coins, a small ring and a handful of Civil War three ring bullets ( Minni Balls) and round balls.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom