Hobbies | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Hobbies

Reaction Score
Other than stalking HS kid recruits, what other things do you guys / girls like to do?

I have an infant son now so my partying days are behind me. I'm wrapping up a huge work project and will have more free time soon. Time that's better spent off the cesspool. As I'm a structural engineer by trade, I like puzzles and to build things. I just put together one of these at nights after the little one goes to sleep:

I also bought some basic robotics kits and am looking into online puzzle sites like Lumosity. Any other suggestions? Or maybe just mention strange things that peak your interest. Without a doubt there are some LARPers on here.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I want to be dumb and buy a sailboat.
Ah, not all sailboats are money pits. We have a 14 footer that we launch off our beach (lakefront home) and let me tell you, there is nothing like it. My favorite thing in the world. Been enjoying it for almost 25 years. I guess if I had to trailer and launch it every time it wouldn't be so much fun. I'm truly lucky.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
this is why I love being a post. I can get old and my range stays the same...
After the years, the distance of my money shot as a post player has increased tremendously. It used to be about 6 inches. Now it's about 30". Pretty sure the basket's not any higher, but somehow, I just don't get as close on the release as I did 55 years ago. And the accuracy has suffered as a result. Last time, I payed, I was 0 for 1 before needing to take a break for the rest of the game.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Ah, not all sailboats are money pits. We have a 14 footer that we launch off our beach (lakefront home) and let me tell you, there is nothing like it. My favorite thing in the world. Been enjoying it for almost 25 years. I guess if I had to trailer and launch it every time it wouldn't be so much fun. I'm truly lucky.
Teach me your ways. I literally know nothing about sailboats.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
This is awesome. Just curious, where is "the local forge." I feel like my town is lacking one.
So I made this today at the forge. A steel rose that started as 6 flat smooth discs and a metal rod.

20191221_144611.jpg

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I’ve been an avid bowler for many years. Both ten pin & duckpin. I have a 7 yr old & we both started our own sports podcast. We follow UConn, the Celtics and Red Sox closely.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
You start from the inside and work out with the petals??
First, pattern the disks with a cross peen hammer, stack them on the stalk and tack down the middle, bend all the disks up so it looks like a new bud, get it really hot in a forge and start bending the petals down with a curl working from largest to smallest. Then 15 minutes on the wire wheel to finish.

Reaction Score
First, pattern the disks with a cross peen hammer, stack them on the stalk and tack down the middle, bend all the disks up so it looks like a new bud, get it really hot in a forge and start bending the petals down with a curl working from largest to smallest. Then 15 minutes on the wire wheel to finish.

cool

Reaction Score
What's the alloy? Will it rust?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If this was an option near me, I would totally do this. It looks like a blast.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Does anyone have hobbies that include panning, metal detecting, and/or wood carving?

I got a gold panning kit and looking to see if anyone can recommend some educational videos to watch and locations to try out. I know the northeast barely has any metals but I’m looking to learn more about it.

Also does anyone here go metal detecting or practice wood carving?

Looking to find some relaxing hobbies and I got hooked on these by watching some videos

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Does anyone have hobbies that include panning, metal detecting, and/or wood carving?

I got a gold panning kit and looking to see if anyone can recommend some educational videos to watch and locations to try out. I know the northeast barely has any metals but I’m looking to learn more about it.

Looking to find some relaxing hobbies and I got hooked on these by watching some videos

I dabble in carving a little bit.

Reaction Score

I metal detect...see post #27
I enjoy it very much. It is relaxing but most of all I enjoy not knowing what will come out of the ground. There is a lot of history buried beneath our feet.

I was back home in CT a couple of weeks ago visiting family and I went out for a short “hunt”.
One of my finds was a 1787 Fugio Cent. This coin was the very first official coin that the US approved to mint. It was designed by Ben Franklin. A rare find which I will probably never do again.

Visit treasurenet.com
Its a great site which will help you with whatever type of treasure hunting you want to get into, even panning.
I enjoy the link “Today’s Finds.” This is where people post what they have recently found . You will be amazed and awed by some of the finds that get posted daily.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I metal detect...see post #27
I enjoy it very much. It is relaxing but most of all I enjoy not knowing what will come out of the ground. There is a lot of history buried beneath our feet.

I was back home in CT a couple of weeks ago visiting family and I went out for a short “hunt”.
One of my finds was a 1787 Fugio Cent. This coin was the very first official coin that the US approved to mint. It was designed by Ben Franklin. A rare find which I will probably never do again.

Visit treasurenet.com
Its a great site which will help you with whatever type of treasure hunting you want to get into, even panning.
I enjoy the link “Today’s Finds.” This is where people post what they have recently found . You will be amazed and awed by some of the finds that get posted daily.
Thanks. Yeah, I watch a lot of history and that's what got me into wanting to metal detect. Do you find stuff often, occasionally, or not so much? I know panning is more difficult in the NE

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Metal detecting.
Been doing this on and off for a number of years. I really enjoy not knowing what I may pull out of the ground. Ive found thousands of things over the years. Gold and silver coins from the Colonial era through today including a coin that I found in CT that was pre 1776. Many artifacts from the Civil War including bullets,buttons and belt buckles. My wife also likes the gold and silver jewelry that she gets to where.
Awesome!!

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Any tips for buying the first set of tools and what youtube videos to watch?

Mary May and Laura Irish are really good. As to tools ... buy good chisels. I use Pfiel’s. Two cherries are good as well imo. It can be a rabbit hole. I think mary may’s website has a well put together list of starter tools. Depends on what you want to carve too. If you want to do spoons n stuff Morakniv makes great knives. The flexcut whittlin jack is a good tool as well on the cheap.

Youre also gonna need to learn to keep your tools sharp. Thats a whole nother ball of wax lol. Im a water stone guy.

Reaction Score
I did something I never thought I’d do and bought an RV three years ago. We had a couple of friends with one and they were always doing fun stuff. My wife likes to buy stuff first and ask questions later, so we did. I just wanted to placate her. I’m not an RV guy and she’s not an RV girl. Anyway, we bought one and made a few fun trips: beach, tailgating, Disney etc. The kids brought friends sometimes, we made fires, drank beer and grilled stuff. We made friends on the road and it has become quite interesting. You get the weekend warrior yuppies that just hike and bike all day then chill at night, the full time partiers and the regular families that just want to “get out there”. I have to say, RV’ing is an unexpected pleasure. I never expected the sense of community, nor did I expect the number of people similar to us that would be doing it. I will say we aren’t the norm. It is definitely mostly retired people and there is a decent share of rednecks. Still plenty of fun loving, educated, successful, family oriented couples that love a good time. It is truly an underworld.

Last edited:

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
I did something I never thought I’d do and bought an RV three years ago. We had a couple of friends with one and they were always doing fun stuff. My wife likes to buy stuff first and ask questions later, so we did. I just wanted to placate her. I’m not an RV guy and she’s not an RV girl. Anyway, we bought one and made a few fun trips: beach, tailgating, Disney etc. The kids brought friends sometimes, we made fires, drank beer and grilled stuff. We made friends on the road and it has become quite interesting. You get the weekend warrior yuppies that just hike and bike all day then chill at night, the full time partiers and the regular families that just want to “get out there”. I have to say, RV’ing is an unexpected pleasure. I never expected the sense of community, nor did I expect the number of people similar to us that would be doing it. I will say, we aren’t the norm. It is definitely mostly retired people and there is a decent share of rednecks. Still plenty of fun loving, educated, successful family oriented couples that love a good time. It is truly an underworld.

Im about to jump into the pool myself. This was good to hear.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom