Here’s a bombshell | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Here’s a bombshell

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
You have a fundamental misunderstanding of how things work.

The Big 10 and SEC cannot take any ACC schools as they have pledged their rights to the conference until 2037.

Why are Oklahoma and Texas waiting until 2025 to move to the SEC? That’s when their GOR expires. Why would UCLA and USC be leaving in 2024? That is when their GOR expires.

The ACC is where it will be. They can add, but they won’t see subtraction.
Pledges don't seem to mean much these days

Reaction Score
The SEC is at 16 schools and the B1G is at 16. So how does the ACC get to 16? Hmm.

This may be the movement Bennedict and Mora have been somewhat hinting at when they have been giving strange answers when asked about being a football independent. Fasten your seatbelt.

Reaction Score
You can no longer say that with any degree of certainty.
It won't happen until our football team starts showing some life and starts having winning seasons again. Even if the basketball programs dominate nationally we still won't get an invite because as we all know football drives the bus.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I posted something on this many years ago and I still believe that the BIG is playing a long game and if we can get our act together (AAU status, representative football program) we will have a landing spot in that conference.

The northeast corridor (also called the DC-Boston megalopolis or Bos-Wash) is the seventh largest economy on the globe ($4 trillion annually), has 52 million residents (projected to grow to 58 million by 2025) and, if the BIG were to add us and UVA, that conference would cover the entire region.

Yes, the grant of rights will cause the BIG to be patient when grabbing ACC schools but the way I see it, this works in our favor as it provides us time to improve things that we have neglected for the bulk of our existence.

My guess is that nobody will want to be the first ACC to leave. Yes, the GOR can be monetized, allowing the departing school to buy their way out but for example a cost $20-$25 million multiplied by the remaining years in the GOR would be astronomical. It likely would be a decade before any school would even publicly bring the idea forward of departing that conference and then they would plan it so they leave with little to no time remaining on the GOR.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Whatever happens, I am looking forward to the upcoming Pac 12 vs Big 12 raiding war.

Have to give the edge to the Pac 12 there, but we will see,
I think it's going to be a merger once the BIG decides on who else they are taking from the PA

Reaction Score
I posted something on this many years ago and I still believe that the BIG is playing a long game and if we can get our act together (AAU status, representative football program) we will have a landing spot in that conference.

The northeast corridor (also called the DC-Boston megalopolis or Bos-Wash) is the seventh largest economy on the globe ($4 trillion annually), has 52 million residents (projected to grow to 58 million by 2025) and, if the BIG were to add us and UVA, that conference would cover the entire region.

Yes, the grant of rights will cause the BIG to be patient when grabbing ACC schools but the way I see it, this works in our favor as it provides us time to improve things that we have neglected for the bulk of our existence.

My guess is that nobody will want to be the first ACC to leave. Yes, the GOR can be monetized, allowing the departing school to buy their way out but for example a cost $20-$25 million multiplied by the remaining years in the GOR would be astronomical. It likely would be a decade before any school would even publicly bring the idea forward of departing that conference and then they would plan it so they leave with little to no time remaining on the GOR.
The northeast corridor would be the 4th largest economy in the world if it's at $4 trillion.

Reaction Score
It won't happen until our football team starts showing some life and starts having winning seasons again. Even if the basketball programs dominate nationally we still won't get an invite because as we all know football drives the bus.
True. Rutgers was going great when they were plucked

Reaction Score
When I read a headline that includes the word bombshell I expect some sort of explosion picture or gif

:-(

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Big East and the basketball schools from the ACC (Duke, UNC) need to start thinking about how they can protect themselves.
Duke should be scared. I think UNC is one of the more desirable ACC schools and is near the top of the list for when SEC or BIG go to 18/20. Won't effect the Big East as much financially because all of our revenue comes from BBall anyways, so TV rights for that shouldn't change.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I think this could be a trap for UConn. The ACC will not survive, but may try to make a preemptive move to "protect" their league in the short term. Would have to assume UConn would be an ideal candidate to add / backfill.

Have to be careful accepting any invite extended our way that isn't the SEC (never happening) or BIG (unlikely) that doesn't have some sort of protection for the basketball team when the ACC implodes.

Reaction Score
Whatever happens, I am looking forward to the upcoming Pac 12 vs Big 12 raiding war.

Have to give the edge to the Pac 12 there, but we will see,
the only way the PAC without usc and ucla, and big12 without UT and OU, can stay competitive w/ 20+ member Big10 and SEC conferences is to merge together and create their own ~20 member conference with whoever isn't poached by the Big10.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I think this could be a trap for UConn. The ACC will not survive, but may try to make a preemptive move to "protect" their league in the short term. Would have to assume UConn would be an ideal candidate to add / backfill.

Have to be careful accepting any invite extended our way that isn't the SEC (never happening) or BIG (unlikely) that doesn't have some sort of protection for the basketball team when the ACC implodes.
Trap or not, UConn needs the money and we aren't cutting it right now. I'll gladly take an ACC invite on this fantasy world we are building. Anything that multiplies our current income by a lot is a move you make in a heartbeat

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The PAC will lose four more schools to the BIG. Oregon and Washington will be locks. Arizona has a strong shot, number 4 is up for grabs.

I'd think it would have to be Stanford. Academics line up with B1G "beliefs/standards". Huge market for NoCal. Easy flights in/out of SFO or other airports. Money isn't an issue for Stanford. Big name recognition and outstanding in Olympic and non-revenue sports.

Reaction Score
A20132A0-EDCF-4377-9C4E-84DC2B896F85.png

Not sure how reliable this guy is (I’ve seen debates on here in the past) but still….

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom