Hardest record to break? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hardest record to break?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
If some research was done with respect to records that are currently more than two decades old and still going strong, there are probably 25-40 records that one could argue will NEVER be broken. Many of them have been mentioned here. There is NO WAY a single record can be identified or proclaimed as "the one record" that will never be broken.

If someone wants to start a thread about records, call it "Records that won't be broken in our lifetimes." That thread will get a lot of action. ;) EVERYBODY has a favorite record they want to nominate. I've got 3.

Example......Johnny Vander Meer's record of throwing two no-hitters on consecutive starts in 1938 will never be broken. It has stood for 84 years and will stand for another 84 years. in order to break the record, a pitcher would have to throw 3 consecutive no-hitters back-to-back-to back. That's not going to happen in today's era. Pitchers rarely pitch a complete game nowadays.
One more thought.........................Think for a brief moment how many not good, but "great" pitchers in the last 80 years that played MLB that NEVER threw a no hitter. UConn's 111 game win streak is safe. UConn's current record of not losing 2 consecutive games since 1993 is also safe. ;)

If there was a hallowed "Pantheon" Hall of World Wide Athletic Records, these 3 and many others would be displayed there. There is a line in the sand of greatness most players never cross. How many UConn women basketball players that have played for the program since its inception NEVER had a 30 point game? My guess is over 90% of them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Tom Brady’s 7 Super Bowl Rings- possible.
Tom Brady’s 5 Super Bowl MVP’s- never ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever be duplicated
UNLESS HE WINS ANOTHER ONE!

Reaction Score
1961-62
Wilt (no last name needed)
48.5 minutes per game (games were only 48 minutes long)

Wilt sat for eight minutes that entire season. No days off for a hammy twinge or a "bad" shell fish (wink, wink) meal. No line changes or time in the penalty box. No half innings in the dugout or 7th inning stretches. No half games on offense (or defense), "special teams" tom foolery, or "Huddle ups!".

Just "Chamberlain!"
"Yeah, Coach?"
"You're in."
until...
"Somebody get Wilt, the game's over."

Reaction Score
I'm happy to show my ignorance (again). I don't follow hockey. Aren't assists in hockey counted as "points"? If so, how many of the Great One's points were assists as opposed to goals? I don't mean to throw any shade on Getzky. I'm just pointing out that maybe his record wasn't completely "individual". Was it Nika who said with an assist 2 people are happy?
So, when Bird, Magic, Stockton, Bird,Ionescue, Nash, Kidd make/made some incredible pass they were’t really responsible for the assist?

Reaction Score
So, when Bird, Magic, Stockton, Bird,Ionescue, Nash, Kidd make/made some incredible pass they were’t really responsible for the assist?
Also, I believe 2 assists may be awarded preceding a hockey goal.

Reaction Score
I like the UConn women's unbeaten streak.
I like UCLA's 7 straight men's NCAA basketball titles, and 9 in 10 years (interrupted only by beloved Texas Western in 1966).
I like Johnny Vander Meer's consecutive no-hitters in 1938.
But here's one for the ages -- longest complete game by a starting pitcher. It's actually a tie between the two pitchers who faced each other in the longest major league game in history. May 1, 1920, the Brooklyn Robins were in Boston to play the Braves, and the game was called for darkness after 26 innings, with the score tied, 1-1. Brooklyn's Leon Cadore (who gave up 15 hits) and Boston's Joe Oeschger (9) each went the distance!

Reaction Score
I like the UConn women's unbeaten streak.
I like UCLA's 7 straight men's NCAA basketball titles, and 9 in 10 years (interrupted only by beloved Texas Western in 1966).
I like Johnny Vander Meer's consecutive no-hitters in 1938.
But here's one for the ages -- longest complete game by a starting pitcher. It's actually a tie between the two pitchers who faced each other in the longest major league game in history. May 1, 1920, the Brooklyn Robins were in Boston to play the Braves, and the game was called for darkness after 26 innings, with the score tied, 1-1. Brooklyn's Leon Cadore (who gave up 15 hits) and Boston's Joe Oeschger (9) each went the distance!
Reminds me of Harvey Haddix' twelve innings of perfection before losing in the 13th. Thirty-six consecutive batters retired.

Reaction Score
Huh? I said nothing of the sort. What did I say that gave you that impression?

Reaction Score
I don't see the 111 game winning streak ever being broken or even 4 straight NCs. The FF record is still going but even if it ended next year, 14 in a row won't be replicated.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So, back to NCAA D1 winning streaks:
Uconn 111 (2014-17) (2 NCs)
Uconn 90 (2008-11) (2 NCs)
Uconn 70 (2001-03) (1 NC)
Uconn 47 (2013-14) (2 NCs)
TN 46 (1996-98) (2 NCs)
Baylor 42 (2011-13) (1 NC)
ND 37 (2013-14)
Uconn 36 (2017-18) , Purdue (1998-00) (1 NC), Baylor (2019-20)
Uconn 35 (1994-95) (1 NC)
Uconn 33 (1996-97) Old Dominion (1996-97)

Just an amazing look at Uconn consistency no team has gotten out of the 40s in the NCAAs 4 decades. And even within the 40s Uconn still holds the record. (LaTech in the AIAW era with a 54 game win streak is the only other D1 team to break the 50 win barrier and Uconn topped that 3 times.) TN went 39-0 after winning a NC the previous year and topped out at 46 wins, Baylor went 40-0 and topped out at 42 wins with Griner and Sims.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
There have been 33 games in NBA history in which a player recorded at least 60 points and 20 rebounds. Wilt Chamberlain accounts for 28 of them.
Wilt.jpg

Reaction Score
Speaking of UCONN, since no other University has ever won both a Men and Women's NC in the same year. Doesn't seem too likely any will do it twice.
I might be reading your post the wrong way but UConn has already done it twice.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I might be reading your post the wrong way but UConn has already done it twice.
Yep, you are correct, you were reading it wrong. ;)

Reaction Score
1961-62
Wilt (no last name needed)
48.5 minutes per game (games were only 48 minutes long)

Wilt sat for eight minutes that entire season. No days off for a hammy twinge or a "bad" shell fish (wink, wink) meal. No line changes or time in the penalty box. No half innings in the dugout or 7th inning stretches. No half games on offense (or defense), "special teams" tom foolery, or "Huddle ups!".

Just "Chamberlain!"
"Yeah, Coach?"
"You're in."
until...
"Somebody get Wilt, the game's over."
Can you imagine what it felt like to be the #2 Center on the depth chart that year? Ha!

Reaction Score
There have been 33 games in NBA history in which a player recorded at least 60 points and 20 rebounds. Wilt Chamberlain accounts for 28 of them.
View attachment 78165
Chamberlain was just on a different level! He could palm a 16 pound bowling ball and hold it straight out from his shoulder! He was a world class volleyball player, a collegiate track & field star and allegedly once dunked with a 220 pound player hanging from one arm! Many of his contemporaries said he was the strongest man they had ever seen. He once averaged 50 points per game for an entire season! Upon being criticized for not passing enough, he promptly led the league in assists the following year. In college they played a special “slowdown game specifically to deny him the ball (one of the main reasons for the modern day shot clock. In a pickup game against active NBA players (including Magic) he became incensed at what he deemed a bad call, and declared there would be no more layups and in close baskets and proceeded to back it up. He was in his late 40s at that time! He did all this & much more while allegedly sleeping with 20,000 women! Whew! The big question is when did he sleep?

Reaction Score
Yep, you are correct, you were reading it wrong. ;)
I apologize. English is my second language. I would suggest that your future posts include a translation into thoroughbred, but the thoroughbred language is all in the inflection of the sounds.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom