Hardest record to break? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hardest record to break?

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
The record, IMO, is similar to Nykesha’s scoring record in that it was contrived. Ripken had games with a single at bat just to preserve the streak
Geno put Sales into the game to gain the scoring record by a point or two. Cal Ripkin broke Lou Gehrig's record by 501 games (2,632 vs 2,130) which is hardy comparable to Sales record. Third place goes to Everett Scott: 1,307 games and fourth place goes to Steve Garvey: 1,207 games. Sans Gehrig, Ripkin's record is more than double Everett's total. Do you know how Ripkin's consecutive game streak ended? Ripkin ended the streak himself. (See video below.)

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Over rated record he hurt his team not taking a day off
I believe Ripkin's teammates disagree with your opinion. The caption says: Teammates push Cal Ripken out of the dugout for his famous victory lap. (Ted Mathias/AP)
1659815758192.png

Reaction Score
You don’t need all caps no need to yell ,maube his teammates want to celebrate with the fans that its not all about him anymore

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
The record, IMO, is similar to Nykesha’s scoring record in that it was contrived. Ripken had games with a single at bat just to preserve the streak
From this article: "until he was far past Gehrig’s record, that one game was the only time he faced a decision whether to play." HE play the one game in question.

They don’t get it. They never did. Even his first wife, Kelly, didn’t. In his 1,793rd straight game, in a mound brawl, Ripken’s knee was hurt. The next day, he could not bear to stand. He was so sure The Streak would end that he called his mom “to give them a heads-up.”

“My parents lived 45 minutes away. In 46 minutes, they were at my house,” he said. After therapy, “Mom walked me around.”

“Couldn’t you pinch-hit?” his wife asked.

“I wouldn’t do that,” he told her. “I just won’t play.”

“But The Streak will be broken.”

“Yes,” Ripken said, a little perplexed.

“I thought [The Streak was] what you wanted,” she said.

“You, too?” Ripken said.

Ripken told me this story at the time and thought it was the ultimate example of how hard it was to explain to anyone, even those closest to him, that “I just play.” The sport demands acceptance. The game decides The Streak.

That night, Ripken made a highlight play in the hole, planted on his bad knee and gunned out the runner. “I didn’t know if the knee would hold,” he said. “It did.”

Just a painful strain, no structural damage. Ripken finds it hard to explain, until he was far past Gehrig’s record, that one game was the only time he faced a decision whether to play. In a way, it seems to make him modest about his record: What did he really do?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Has Penn St. women's volleyball been mentioned? They had a 109 match winning streak that was just short of UConn's streak. It included back to back undefeated seasons. I seriously doubt we'll ever see a streak like that again in college volleyball.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
How about Edwin Moses? Over a decade period won 122 straight 400 m hurdles, 105 consecutive finals. Also set the world record 4 times. If duration of a streak is the most impressive feat, that is way beyond any of the winning streaks for college teams that have been mentioned. 10 years of doing nothing but winning races, absolutely amazing.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Trinity College men’s squash

The team won 252 matches in a row, the longest winning streak in college sports history—so famous it was known simply as “The Streak.” National media outlets followed the story, and the world soon came to know Head Men's Squash Coach Paul Assaiante as the winningest college coach ever.
1659822092742.png

Trinity College › the-legac...

The Legacy That Can't Be Squashed | Trinity College

Reaction Score
Cy Young 749 complete games
Hack Wilson. 190 RBI’s

Jimmie Foxx
Best season ever 1932.
364 batting ave, 58 homers, and 169 RBI’s, he actually hit 60 that year tieing Ruth, but they were erased from his record because he hit them in games that were rained out.

Reaction Score
I’m gobsmacked that most people believe the 111 is more difficult! I have to disagree completely! Gretzky’s record is far more likely to stand the test of time. For one thing, (putting aside the objective lead he has over his nearest challengers) his record is based on his individual performances while the other is a team record. This means that the team could conceivably suffer a catastrophic injury , and still achieve the exact same result, whereas Gretzky’s record would diminish with each game he missed. Both are magnificent examples of greatness but I have to go with Gretzky’s record here.
If you are looking for unbreakable records, it is hard to beat Cy Young’s 511 wins and 749 complete games. These are rendered even more unbreakable due to modern changes in baseball that have made it less and less likely that a pitcher will want or be allowed to finish out a game.
Personally, the UConn record I am most in awe of, is the no consecutive losses since 1993! (And counting) There’s glory for you! (And another possibly “unbreakable” record)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think the hardest record to break is one that requires a substantial amount of time--14 straight Final Fours, 2,130 consecutive games, etc. That Final Four streak involved dozens of players. Even brilliant players like Maya and Stewie could contribute only 4 out of the 14 years. Though something like 111 consecutive wins seems highly improbable, a totally stacked roster with the right coach could do it--we almost added EDD to Maya and Tina. That was TonyC's infamous 195-0. He wasn't far off!

There are many records that seem unbreakable. Wilt's 1961 season averages of 50 ppg and 25 rpg seem untouchable.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I’m gobsmacked that most people believe the 111 is more difficult! I have to disagree completely! Gretzky’s record is far more likely to stand the test of time. For one thing, (putting aside the objective lead he has over his nearest challengers) his record is based on his individual performances while the other is a team record. This means that the team could conceivably suffer a catastrophic injury , and still achieve the exact same result, whereas Gretzky’s record would diminish with each game he missed. Both are magnificent examples of greatness but I have to go with Gretzky’s record here.
If you are looking for unbreakable records, it is hard to beat Cy Young’s 511 wins and 749 complete games. These are rendered even more unbreakable due to modern changes in baseball that have made it less and less likely that a pitcher will want or be allowed to finish out a game.
Personally, the UConn record I am most in awe of, is the no consecutive losses since 1993! (And counting) There’s glory for you! (And another possibly “unbreakable” record)
We can get into to trouble and easily become disillusioned if we begin to try and rank the importance or difficulty of records across the landscape of different sports. I only compare UConn’s 111-game win streak with and among other WCBB teams.

Reaction Score
I'm happy to show my ignorance (again). I don't follow hockey. Aren't assists in hockey counted as "points"? If so, how many of the Great One's points were assists as opposed to goals? I don't mean to throw any shade on Getzky. I'm just pointing out that maybe his record wasn't completely "individual". Was it Nika who said with an assist 2 people are happy?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think the hardest record to break is one that requires a substantial amount of time--14 straight Final Fours, 2,130 consecutive games, etc. That Final Four streak involved dozens of players. Even brilliant players like Maya and Stewie could contribute only 4 out of the 14 years. Though something like 111 consecutive wins seems highly improbable, a totally stacked roster with the right coach could do it--we almost added EDD to Maya and Tina. That was TonyC's infamous 195-0. He wasn't far off!

There are many records that seem unbreakable. Wilt's 1961 season averages of 50 ppg and 25 rpg seem untouchable.
It is an interesting question time vs consistency - 14 years of excellence vs 111 games of perfection. There is no easy answer - the closest anyone else has come to 14 years is 5 years, the closest any NCAA D1 women's program other than Uconn has come to 111 is 46 (TN in the late 90s.) LaTech did 54 in the AIAW years.

And it isn't as if there have not been juggernaut teams before - TN with the meeks and with Parker, Baylor with Griner, ND, and currently SC (sitting on a 6 game winning streak - they need 2 undefeated seasons + an opening winning streak in year 3 to reach just second place at 90 wins.)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It is an interesting question time vs consistency - 14 years of excellence vs 111 games of perfection. There is no easy answer - the closest anyone else has come to 14 years is 5 years, the closest any NCAA D1 women's program other than Uconn has come to 111 is 46 (TN in the late 90s.) LaTech did 54 in the AIAW years.

And it isn't as if there have not been juggernaut teams before - TN with the meeks and with Parker, Baylor with Griner, ND, and currently SC (sitting on a 6 game winning streak - they need 2 undefeated seasons + an opening winning streak in year 3 to reach just second place at 90 wins.)
A reminder to the Boneyarders ... the only teams to have consecutive undefeated seasons were led by Maya Moore and Tina Charles. Not even the great Taurasi or Stewart could manage that.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yea, I still blame TonyC for EDD ending up at Delaware.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
If some research was done with respect to records that are currently more than two decades old and still going strong, there are probably 25-40 records that one could argue will NEVER be broken. Many of them have been mentioned here. There is NO WAY a single record can be identified or proclaimed as "the one record" that will never be broken.

If someone wants to start a thread about records, call it "Records that won't be broken in our lifetimes." That thread will get a lot of action. ;) EVERYBODY has a favorite record they want to nominate. I've got 3.

Example......Johnny Vander Meer's record of throwing two no-hitters on consecutive starts in 1938 will never be broken. It has stood for 84 years and will stand for another 84 years. in order to break the record, a pitcher would have to throw 3 consecutive no-hitters back-to-back-to back. That's not going to happen in today's era. Pitchers rarely pitch a complete game nowadays.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
IMHO.
Joe DiMaggio’s 56 game hitting streak.
Starters now go maybe 5 innings.
4/5 pitchers work the final 4 innings.
No more small ball- a long ball game.
With power pitchers stacking “K’s”.
I don’t think it will ever happen.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
How about Babe Didrikson Zaharias?

Representing her company in the 1932 AAU Championships, she competed in eight out of ten events, winning five outright, and tying for first in a sixth. Didrikson's performances were enough to win the team championship, despite her being the sole member of her team.

Didrikson set four world records, winning two gold medals and one silver medal for track and field in the 1932 Los Angeles Olympics.[9][10] In the 80-meter hurdles, she equaled the world record of 11.8 seconds in her opening heat. In the final, she broke her record with an 11.7 clocking, taking gold. In the javelin, she also won gold with an Olympic record throw of 43.69 meters. In the high jump, she took silver with a world record-tying leap of 1.657 metres (5.44 ft). Fellow American Jean Shiley also jumped 1.657 metres, and the pair tied in a jump-off when the bar was raised to 1.67 metres (5.5 ft). Shiley was awarded the gold after Didrikson was ruled to have used an improper technique.[1]

Didrikson is the only track and field athlete, male or female, to win individual Olympic medals in separate running, throwing and jumping events.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom