Hardest record to break? | The Boneyard

Hardest record to break?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
More than mentioned. Obliterated

1659790449772.png

Reaction Score
111 is amazing, as are a couple of other remarkable streaks that might be as difficult to break as this one. Having several seemingly unreachable targets is further evidence to the program's success. The win streak may be the hardest to break, but how about 14 straight final fours? That streak of course is ongoing as is the stretch of 900 and something games without losing two games in a row. I think that goes back to 1993.

So Uconn has not lost two straight during the lifetimes of current players for example. If I remember right that streak was in serious jeopardy this past season during the period when we only had three available guards. We needed to win the game against UCLA still shorthanded to keep that one intact, but we did and UCLA had some injury problems of their own.

Anyway I don't expect to see any of those three streaks broken during my lifetime. All three would be near inconceivable.

Reaction Score
111 seems nearly impossible considering even the most dominant teams (outside of UConn) can’t match the 70 game win streak let alone the 90 or 111 game streaks. Tennessee during the Parker era, Baylor during the Griner era, South Carolina currently (Boston era), and every other notable team over the past couple decades all managed to sustain losses sooner or later. The fact that UConn is the only team with multiple undefeated seasons is reason enough to assume the 111 game streak won’t be broken.

14 final fours is a pretty hefty streak, too. But I’d say that’s a little more doable purely because it means you can lose games up until each tournament (so long as you make the tournament and then you can lose in the final four). 5 game streaks in the tournament might be difficult, but that seems a lot more doable than have ~3+ undefeated seasons in a row (including, obviously, national championships).

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The fact that no other team has reached 2 undefeated seasons in WCBB and Uconn sits at six is another amazing record (and suggests just how hard the winning streaks will be to break. I thought the Griner era 40-0 team had a chance for a longer streak and then they laid an egg early the next season.

The fact that 111 game streak came with only one undefeated season in the middle was wierd - single early season loss year one, undefeated year 2, single FF loss year 3 = 111

Reaction Score
Fun stuff all around, and a thread I'd guess will attract all kind of entries.' SVCBeercats just beat me to it with Cal's 2,632 streak.

I'll suggest Pete Maravich's 44.2 points per game scoring average for his 83 games at LSU, accomplished mostly against SEC competition and without three-pointers... if he'd had three-pointers, he easily would have averaged over 50. And he shot 44 percent from the floor and was a good passer.

Sticking to the Huskies, I'd lean to the 14 straight Final Fours over the 111 straight wins, as amazing as that was. One great player of the Stewie caliber or even better, blessed with good teammates and a great coach (a la Alcindor/Jabbar, Walton and Wooden) at UCLA) could conceivably chalk up more than 111 in three seasons.

I'll look forward to everyone's thoughts. Thanks, HuskyNan.:cool:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
When I was quite young I managed to break several records. They belonged to my older sister, and she terrorized me for it. The 78s were definitely hardest to break, but I somehow managed. :eek:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Cal Ripken Jr's record 2,632 consecutive games, May 30, 1982 to September 20, 1998
The record, IMO, is similar to Nykesha’s scoring record in that it was contrived. Ripken had games with a single at bat just to preserve the streak

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Joan Joyce

Joyce played for the Brakettes [fast pitch softball] from 1954 to 1963, the Lionettes from 1964 to 1966, and again the Brakettes from 1967 to 1975, In her career, she racked up many of the sport's records, which have yet to be broken:

• Most consecutive all-star team selections (18)
  • Eight-time MVP in the National Tournament (1961, 1963, 1968, 1971 (co-MVP), 1973, 1974, and 1975)
  • Most victories in a season (42) (in 1974)
  • Two no-hit, no-run games in National Tournament (four times)
  • Shutouts in a season (38 in 1974)
  • Most innings pitched in a game (29 in 1968 against Perkasie)
  • Career doubles (153)
  • Doubles in a season (22 in 1968)
  • Career triples (67)
  • Brakettes team batting champion (1960, 1962, 1967–69, 1973)
  • Highest batting average (.467 in 1971)
Her pitches were extremely fast at over 70 miles per hour. She pitched 150 no-hitters and 50 perfect games, with a lifetime earned run average of 0.09. In her record-setting 42-win season, she pitched 38 shutouts. Her 1974 Brakettes team was the first American team to win the world championship.[3]

In exhibition games, she struck out Ted Williams at Municipal Stadium in Waterbury, Connecticut in 1961 (also during a brief stint in 1966) and Hank Aaron in 1978.[2][4]

PLUS

Golf[edit]​

After softball, she joined the LPGA Tour, in which she was from 1977 to 1994.[8] Her best finishes included sixth-place in tournaments in 1981, 1982 and 1984, including a round of 66.[8] Joyce holds the record for lowest number of putts (17) in a single LPGA round, set at the 1982 Lady Michelob.[9]

Volleyball[edit]​

Joyce served as player and coach in the United States Volleyball Association with the Connecticut Clippers.[citation needed] She competed in four national tournaments, and was named to the All-East Regional team.[citation needed]

Basketball[edit]​

Joyce played on the USA women's national basketball team in 1964 and 1965[citation needed], setting a national tournament single game scoring record in 1964 with 67 points[citation needed]. She was a four-time Women's Basketball Association All-American[citation needed], and a three-time Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) All-America player[citation needed].

Halls of Fame[edit]​

Joyce was inducted into the National Softball Hall of Fame in 1983.[10] She was inducted into the International Softball Federation Hall of Fame in 1999.[11]

In addition to the National Softball Hall of Game and International Softball Federation Hall of Fame, she has been inducted into the Palm Beach County Sports Hall of Fame, Connecticut Women's Hall of Fame, the Connecticut Women's Basketball Hall of Fame, the Hank O'Donnell Hall of Fame, the Fairfield County Sports Hall of Fame, the Greater Waterbury Hall of Fame, and, as one of only three Americans, the International Women's Sports Hall of Fame.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I’m not going to suggest a particular record. There are too many that in my opinion reside in the Pantheon of sports records that will NEVER be broken. Records that were set by players in an era that has passed and because of rule changes or other dynamics, the probability of it being broken is almost nil, especially in our lifetime. It’s not hard to identify some of those recodes. Some of them have stood for decades, and have not come close to being broken.

Records are made to be broken. I would submit that several records immediately come to mind. No doubt you can quickly add to my list: Johnny Vander Meer’s (Cincinnati Reds) back to back no-hitters in June of 1938. Wilt Chamberland’s 100 point game in March 1962, UConn’s 111 consecutive game win streak 2014-2017. Cal Ripken’s 2,632 consecutive games played over 16 years is likely to stand for ever. Nolan Ryan’s 7 career no-hitters, and Joe DeMaggio’s 56 consecutive game hitting streak (1941) are records that may never be reached or surpassed. I’ve named only a few records that in my opinion will never be broken. Of course there are many others.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Joan Joyce

Joyce played for the Brakettes from 1954 to 1963, the Lionettes from 1964 to 1966, and again the Brakettes from 1967 to 1975, In her career, she racked up many of the sport's records, which have yet to be broken:

• Most consecutive all-star team selections (18)
  • Eight-time MVP in the National Tournament (1961, 1963, 1968, 1971 (co-MVP), 1973, 1974, and 1975)
  • Most victories in a season (42) (in 1974)
  • Two no-hit, no-run games in National Tournament (four times)
  • Shutouts in a season (38 in 1974)
  • Most innings pitched in a game (29 in 1968 against Perkasie)
  • Career doubles (153)
  • Doubles in a season (22 in 1968)
  • Career triples (67)
  • Brakettes team batting champion (1960, 1962, 1967–69, 1973)
  • Highest batting average (.467 in 1971)
Her pitches were extremely fast at over 70 miles per hour. She pitched 150 no-hitters and 50 perfect games, with a lifetime earned run average of 0.09. In her record-setting 42-win season, she pitched 38 shutouts. Her 1974 Brakettes team was the first American team to win the world championship.[3]

In exhibition games, she struck out Ted Williams at Municipal Stadium in Waterbury, Connecticut in 1961 (also during a brief stint in 1966) and Hank Aaron in 1978.[2][4]

PLUS

Golf[edit]​

After softball, she joined the LPGA Tour, in which she was from 1977 to 1994.[8] Her best finishes included sixth-place in tournaments in 1981, 1982 and 1984, including a round of 66.[8] Joyce holds the record for lowest number of putts (17) in a single LPGA round, set at the 1982 Lady Michelob.[9]

Volleyball[edit]​

Joyce served as player and coach in the United States Volleyball Association with the Connecticut Clippers.[citation needed] She competed in four national tournaments, and was named to the All-East Regional team.[citation needed]

Basketball[edit]​

Joyce played on the USA women's national basketball team in 1964 and 1965[citation needed], setting a national tournament single game scoring record in 1964 with 67 points[citation needed]. She was a four-time Women's Basketball Association All-American[citation needed], and a three-time Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) All-America player[citation needed].

Halls of Fame[edit]​

Joyce was inducted into the National Softball Hall of Fame in 1983.[10] She was inducted into the International Softball Federation Hall of Fame in 1999.[11]

In addition to the National Softball Hall of Game and International Softball Federation Hall of Fame, she has been inducted into the Palm Beach County Sports Hall of Fame, Connecticut Women's Hall of Fame, the Connecticut Women's Basketball Hall of Fame, the Hank O'Donnell Hall of Fame, the Fairfield County Sports Hall of Fame, the Greater Waterbury Hall of Fame, and, as one of only three Americans, the International Women's Sports Hall of Fame.
This lady deserves her own wing in the Hall of Fame.

Reaction Score
Cleveland Brown's tackle Joe Thomas played over 10,000 snaps without missing a snap. This is not baseball; it's contact.
Next, Joe DiMaggio hit safely in 56 consecutive games.

Reaction Score
Anson Dorrance, North Carolina Women's Soccer:

21 National Championships
92 Consecutive wins
103 consecutive games without a loss
84 consecutive home wins

Anson has coached for 43 seasons averaging 24 games per season
Geno has coached 37 seasons averaging 35 games per season

The 92 is shy of 111, but it was done over a longer stretch through more seasons
21 is untouchable

Reaction Score
Anson Dorrance is the only real comparison to Geno, or maybe it should be the other way around.

Men coaching women
Both foreign born (Anson's parents were US citizens)

The craziest thing about Anson is he coached Men's soccer at UNC for two seasons before starting the women's program, and coached both teams for 10 years!

When Geno started at UConn nearly every D I school had women's basketball.
When Anson started there were very few D i women's programs. Women's soccer was the fastest growing NCAA sport throughout the 80's. Anson climb to his first National Championship was easier than Geno's

Anson's coaching tree is much larger than Geno's and more successful (They have beaten him and won National Championships and World Cups and Gold Medals)

Reaction Score
I’m not going to suggest a particular record. There are too many that in my opinion reside in the Pantheon of sports records that will NEVER be broken. Records that were set by players in an era that has passed and because of rule changes or other dynamics, the probability of it being broken is almost nil, especially in our lifetime. It’s not hard to identify some of those recodes. Some of them have stood for decades, and have not come close to being broken.

Records are made to be broken. I would submit that several records immediately come to mind. No doubt you can quickly add to my list: Johnny Vander Meer’s (Cincinnati Reds) back to back no-hitters in June of 1938. Wilt Chamberland’s 100 point game in March 1962, UConn’s 111 consecutive game win streak 2014-2017. Cal Ripken’s 2,632 consecutive games played over 16 years is likely to stand for ever. Nolan Ryan’s 7 career no-hitters, and Joe DeMaggio’s 56 consecutive game hitting streak (1941) are records that may never be reached or surpassed. I’ve named only a few records that in my opinion will never be broken. Of course there are many others.
You correctly point out that certain records from bygone eras will never be broken. About 55-60 years ago, before the internet, ESPN, etc., I read an article in the Sporting News regarding records that would never be broken. The one that stood apart from all the others was the record for most consecutive innings pitched without relief. In the early 1900’s a pitcher named Jack Taylor pitched approximately 1700 innings without being relieved. During that span he pitched 187 consecutive complete games (games that he started). Also during that span he made 15 relief appearances and finished those games as well. Things were certainly different back then.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom