bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Just thought she deserved her own thread. Her per game averages are insane:
24.8 points
6.8 rebounds
5.8 assists
5.7 steals

With shooting splits of 49.5% FG, 36.6% 3pt, 78% FT.

She's putting up really good numbers against strong opponents too, she's not just piling stats on mediocre teams. Her season reminds me of Caitlin Clark's as a freshman where she was piling on stats for a team that was in the 15-25 range so she didn't get a ton of publicity, but more people should be talking about Hidalgo now considering how ridiculous it is she could finish the year averaging 25/5/5/5.

Reaction Score
24.8 points
6.8 rebounds
5.8 assists
5.7 steals

With shooting splits of 49.5% FG, 36.6% 3pt, 78% FT.

She's putting up really good numbers against strong opponents too, she's not just piling stats on mediocre teams. Her season reminds me of Caitlin Clark's as a freshman where she was piling on stats for a team that was in the 15-25 range so she didn't get a ton of publicity, but more people should be talking about Hidalgo now considering how ridiculous it is she could finish the year averaging 25/5/5/5.
I agree. Hannah is as exciting to watch as any player in D1 right now. Her stats are really hard to understand even having watched several of her games. It’d be tempting to think they come against weaker opponents, but this isn’t the case. Arguably her best game (statistically) came against SC, where she had 31/4/3/3 with 6 TOs.

Her rebounding numbers at 6.6 are really surprising for someone who is 5’6”. And her assists are good though her a/to is only so-so at 5.6/3.8. And the steals are excellent at 5.5. She is a speedster who is utterly unafraid to drive the lane against much larger opponents and she finishes at the rim really well. This is the profile of someone who grew up in a large family with bigger brothers.

In the losses, her numbers are also surprising but maybe revealing too. In the opener against SC, they got blown out and Hannah was effectively unleashed. For stretches it was just Hannah vs Milaysia, especially in the 4th quarter. It was a highlights reel, but the game was no longer in doubt.

In the closer losses to Syracuse and UNC, her numbers are still impressive. Against Syracuse, 32/5/6/7 with 4 TOs in a very winnable game. But she couldn’t carry an injury depleted team over what would otherwise be an inferior opponent. Against UNC, the numbers were a little more subdued at 17/11/4/4 with 5 TOs, probably because of the better guard depth. This was also a winnable game and the loss wasn’t Hannah’s fault.

Now there haven’t been a lot of other stout opponents on ND’s schedule besides Tennessee. This was a game they won and Hannah may have been the main reason for it. Westbeld and Marshall had good games and Hannah’s stats were not as shiny at 13/7/7/4 with only 3 TOs. But I think she enabled Marshall’s good game and merely as a threat opened up the lane and helped power the comeback.

As a pg, the Tennessee game may be a signpost for her. If she scores a ton, her teammates may succumb to Hannah-watching. But if she scores less she may be able to lead the upperclassmen to tougher victories. The losses aren’t her fault, but the tough wins may require something other than scoring from her in the future.

Reaction Score
I love her rebounding numbers. She has that "Want To" factor on them boards.

Reaction Score
I agree. Hannah is as exciting to watch as any player in D1 right now. Her stats are really hard to understand even having watched several of her games. It’d be tempting to think they come against weaker opponents, but this isn’t the case. Arguably her best game (statistically) came against SC, where she had 31/4/3/3 with 6 TOs.
24.8 points
6.8 rebounds
5.8 assists
5.7 steals
Her season reminds me of Caitlin Clark's as a freshman where she was piling on stats for a team that was in the 15-25 range so she didn't get a ton of publicity, but more people should be talking about Hidalgo now considering how ridiculous it is she could finish the year averaging 25/5/5/5.
She has to be a AP first team All-American right?
I'm with you three sages... Hannah should definitely be a strong consideration for first-team All-American. How she plays Saturday at Gampel against UConn's corps of guards will be an interesting barometer.

Reaction Score
She has to be a AP first team All-American right?
I'd imagine she'd bump Paige out right now. Caitlin and Juju are locks and then you know they'll be at least one or 2 bigs (Pili, Brink, Cardosa, Kitley, Angel). I'd imagine that last spot is up for grabs between Hildago, Paige, Rickea Jackson etc. Assuming they don't award 3 bigs first team AA.

Reaction Score
FOY? Legit contender.

First team AA? Slow down. I'm not saying no, but think it through. There are a lot of really good guards.
My 'wow' reply is simply at your suggestion I should think things through... that's usually when I get in the most trouble.;)

I'll ask you, visitingcock, any Gamecocks merit A-A consideration, 1st team, 2nd team or whatever? Kamilla is the conspicuous answer for most people, but anyone else?

Reaction Score
I'd imagine she'd bump Paige out right now. Caitlin and Juju are locks and then you know they'll be at least one or 2 bigs (Pili, Brink, Cardosa, Kitley, Angel). I'd imagine that last spot is up for grabs between Hildago, Paige, Rickea Jackson etc. Assuming they don't award 3 bigs first team AA.
Not seeing Cordosa as AA. Not enough minutes per game to get the stats. Now, LEE is a different matter if she returns healthy.

Bumping Paige? I doubt it among knowledgeable voters. This week's game will have some influence. I don't think teams are designing defenses to stop/ slow down Hidalgo - yet.

Reaction Score
Not seeing Cordosa as AA. Not enough minutes per game to get the stats. Now, LEE is a different matter if she returns healthy.

Bumping Paige? I doubt it among knowledgeable voters. This week's game will have some influence. I don't think teams are designing defenses to stop Hidalgo - yet.
I can't imagine the #1 undefeated team in the country won't have a first team AA. And Cardosa seems like the best bet, but I do see your argument.

I'm not sure what Paige has done up to this point to deserve AA. Barely top 10 team, lost all their big games and putting up good by not eye popping stats. She has a lot of work to do to make first team AA imo.

Reaction Score
No way Hannah, or anyone else for that matter, bumps Paige from 1st team AA. It's not just the stats. She's the leader, the essential player, on a team on a tear that everyone had counted out not so long ago. No one other than Caitlin is doing anything even remotely comparable.

Sorry, @hoopsnloops32, but in my view Paige has done everything she needs to do. Who other than Caitlin has done more? Maybe Juju is a contender, but I don't really see any others. Plus, bear in mind, Paige is playing power forward this year, not guard. And I'm with @visitingcock, I'm not sure who on SC really stands out. The team is so balanced and loaded, the great players on it don't get to shine as much as they might on a lesser team.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
CardosO
CArdosO

Of course nobody would be even a little annoyed at being called goopsnpoops34 or visitingmock. It's just a minor flub, right?

Reaction Score
By the way, it's Cardoso. She deserves to have her name spelled correctly, just as Huskies fan strive to do so for UConn players.
lol as if I spell UConn player's names correctly. If you know who I'm talking about its good enough imo. Paige Beckers suffers the most on this, I know there is u somewhere in there but i change its position every time.

Reaction Score
Juju’s conference play efficiency numbers are downright bad. Her conference play EFG% is 39%. If that keeps us, that’s nowhere close to First-Team AA.

Reaction Score
Juju’s conference play efficiency numbers are downright bad. Her conference play EFG% is 39%. If that keeps us, that’s nowhere close to First-Team AA.
These are such media driven awards, I would be surprised if that mattered. She's still putting up big numbers and is the only other person mentioned in contention for NPOY, even though Caitlin is the clear favorite. I just don't see her slipping off that first team AA line after all the early season hype.

Reaction Score
CardosO

CArdosO

Of course nobody would be even a little annoyed at being called goopsnpoops34 or visitingmock. It's just a minor flub, right?
Visitingmock frequently fits my posts.

Reaction Score
No way Hannah, or anyone else for that matter, bumps Paige from 1st team AA. It's not just the stats. She's the leader, the essential player, on a team on a tear that everyone had counted out not so long ago. No one other than Caitlin is doing anything even remotely comparable.

Sorry, @hoopsnloops32, but in my view Paige has done everything she needs to do. Who other than Caitlin has done more? Maybe Juju is a contender, but I don't really see any others. Plus, bear in mind, Paige is playing power forward this year, not guard. And I'm with @visitingcock, I'm not sure who on SC really stands out. The team is so balanced and loaded, the great players on it don't get to shine as much as they might on a lesser team.
Our players generally take the open shots that come to them and don’t force things. Fulwiley is the only exception and even she is getting her game more under control. Chloe sometimes forces some shots in heavy traffic.

Our players are to unselfish to get the offensive numbers required to be an AA.

Now, if we wanna talk Defensive numbers . . . No, even then our 9 player rotation lessens each player’s minutes too much. Take Cordova: She would lead the nation in blocked shots if she didn’t have Ashlynn Watkins eating into her minutes ( and blocking almost as many shots.)

I can’t even start to choose who our team MVP is

Reaction Score

Paige isn't playing power forward though, is more media fodder than anything else imo. Occasionally she plays in the post when she has a size mismatch but she is still playing a SG or PG for the most part offensively. Defensively, yes she is defending other teams posts but she is splitting that job with Nika a lot and still defending perimeter players for a good majority of the game.

I think Paige and UConn still have a lot to prove after stumbling out of the gates so badly this season with such high expectations. Obviously, a lot of that is injury related and the team we currently have certainly wouldn't have been #2 team preseason imo like our almost healthy team was projected to be. That being said Paige still has a lot more talented core around her that Caitlin does imo and one of the only players on this list (outside LUS) with another potential AA to help her carry the load. She (and UConn) has to have strong showing against Notre and South Carolina to be in consideration for a solid first team AA spot.

Reaction Score
These are such media driven awards, I would be surprised if that mattered. She's still putting up big numbers and is the only other person mentioned in contention for NPOY, even though Caitlin is the clear favorite. I just don't see her slipping off that first team AA line after all the early season hype.
Watkins has 12 conference games to play. If she returns to something closer to earlier season form against weaker competition, perhaps she could be in the conversation, but if she keeps on the dismal conference-play path that she is on, I just don't see it. To me, even when you look at the current numbers, Watkins seems like a clear 4th to Clark, Bueckers, and Hidalgo, and there should only be room for 3 of them, at most, on the AP and USBWA 5-player AA teams.

1705950781732.png

Edit: Watkins' numbers are also a far cry from Clark's rookie season, when Clark struggled to make 1st-Team AA, making USBWA, but landing on the AP 2nd Team.

1705951638093.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Paige is leading this team similarly as Diana Taurasi led her team in her final UConn year. No other star on the team other than Diana. By sheer will, she coached, encouraged & instilled confidence to the team that they could win. And they did. Paige is on the same track IMHO.

Reaction Score
Watkins has 12 conference games to play. If she returns to something closer to earlier season form against weaker competition, perhaps she could be in the conversation, but if she keeps on the dismal conference-play path that she is on, I just don't see it. To me, even when you look at the current numbers, Watkins seems like a clear 4th to Clark, Bueckers, and Hidalgo, and there should only be room for 3 of them, at most, on the AP and USBWA 5-player AA teams.

View attachment 95499
I like you post but there could be some counter arguments for others ;

1.best player on the ( so far)best team ( who is a guard). For example the Gamecocks PoaPoa who doesn’t have huge numbers but very high percentages and leadership? 56 % from three and 54% FG ( for a guard) is pretty astounding.

2. What if a hybrid player is chosen at a (wing) guard position? Pili? Look at her numbers! LSU calls Morrow a guard.

Like I said, I like your post but

Reaction Score
Paige isn't playing power forward though, is more media fodder than anything else imo. Occasionally she plays in the post when she has a size mismatch but she is still playing a SG or PG for the most part offensively. Defensively, yes she is defending other teams posts but she is splitting that job with Nika a lot and still defending perimeter players for a good majority of the game.

I think Paige and UConn still have a lot to prove after stumbling out of the gates so badly this season with such high expectations. Obviously, a lot of that is injury related and the team we currently have certainly wouldn't have been #2 team preseason imo like our almost healthy team was projected to be. That being said Paige still has a lot more talented core around her that Caitlin does imo and one of the only players on this list (outside LUS) with another potential AA to help her carry the load. She (and UConn) has to have strong showing against Notre and South Carolina to be in consideration for a solid first team AA spot.
I'm sorry, @hoopsnloops32, but you have me reeling now. Is it a story contest or a stats-driven Vulcan-worthy assessment?
  • If it's a story contest and PR stories matter most, no one has a better one than Paige: superstar recovering from devastating injury carries injury depleted team to the top of D1.
  • If it's stats-driven, then her stats are excellent, especially her record against the best teams -- and that primarily means the teams that beat UConn. In those games, her stats are super impressive: 31 pts against UCLA and 27 against NC St.
  • If it's just about media fodder, we all know she's not really a power forward -- let's get real here -- but the media loves to bring up her blocks and her post up plays.
I'll go whichever direction you like, but not both at once. We can't dismiss her stats because she's not really a power forward, and we can't dismiss the story because UConn has something left to prove. Personally -- and you don't have to agree with me on this one -- I think Paige has the best media-fodder narrative and the best stats. I have no idea which way the various selection committees will go, so I'm just guessing here. I think we all are.

What we absolutely agree on is that the ND and SC games will be important for all sorts of things including determining who gets to be an AA. But I have confidence in Paige.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, @hoopsnloops32, but you have me reeling now. Is it a story contest or a stats-driven Vulcan-worthy assessment?
  • If it's a story contest and PR stories matter most, no one has a better one than Paige: superstar recovering from devastating injury carries injury depleted team to the top of D1.
  • If it's stats-driven, then her stats are excellent, especially her record against the best teams -- and that primarily means the teams that beat UConn. In those games, her stats are super impressive: 31 pts against UCLA and 27 against NC St.
  • If it's just about media fodder, we all know she's not really a power forward -- let's get real here -- but the media loves to bring up her blocks and her post up plays.
I'll go whichever direction you like, but not both at once. We can't dismiss her stats because she's not really a power forward, and we can't dismiss the story because UConn has something left to prove. Personally -- and you don't have to agree with me on this one -- I think Paige has the best media-fodder narrative and the best stats. I have no idea which way the various selection committees will go, so I'm just guessing here. I think we all are.

What we absolutely agree on is that the ND and SC games will be important for all sorts of things including determining who gets to be an AA. But I have confidence in Paige.
To me it a combination of all 3. Story, stats and media conversation. I'm not saying Paige doesn't have a chance but if AA teams were selected today, I wouldn't be shocked to see her on second or third team because you could make a persuasive argument for others above her. I have confidence in Paige as well to finish the season strong, just like you.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom