Geno needs to show the #1 high school players of the year more love. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Geno needs to show the #1 high school players of the year more love.

Reaction Score
I do sometimes wonder if Geno couldn't find a little more time in lopsided games for some of the lesser-used players so that maybe Megan could have got 18 or 19 minutes per game rather than 15. But it's still not like Megan was totally rooted to the bench. 38% of the time she was out there all the time ;)

it's the quality of the minutes not the total minutes...............playing five minutes in the second quarter of a close game is far more important then playing an entire quarter with and against other bench players when you're up by 35..........

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I think that if UCONN won the whole thing this year, there would not be so much talk on this topic. Many fans believe that the bench was short this year, and it was. The team entered the Final Four with 6 players who you KNEW would play.
I do believe that if Walker had been used more during the season, she would certainly be a dependable 7th player.......Well, she didn't play that much, she wasn't that needed 7th dependable player, and the team lost.
We have an interesting year coming up!

Reaction Score
I think that if UCONN won the whole thing this year, there would not be so much talk on this topic. Many fans believe that the bench was short this year, and it was. The team entered the Final Four with 6 players who you KNEW would play.
I do believe that if Walker had been used more during the season, she would certainly be a dependable 7th player..Well, she didn't play that much, she wasn't that needed 7th dependable player, and the team lost.
We have an interesting year coming up!

that's heresy around here pal...................in Geno we trust!!!!!.......:eek::eek:

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Speaking of the last two years . . . let's talk about the last three.

Do you realize that UConn has had THREE consecutive undefeated regular seasons? To my knowledge, no other college team, men or women, has done that. And unless I'm mistaken, only the UCLA men and previous UConn teams have done two in a row (UConn at least twice prior to the current streak, and possibly three: '97 and '98?).

And oh, by the way, they've done it ten times altogether, which blows away everybody else's one (WCBB).

I could be wrong on that last part, but beyond UConn, in WCBB's NCAA era, I can think of only the following instances of an undefeated regular season:

Texas, '86
Tennessee, '98
Baylor '12
Notre Dame '14
Mississippi State '18

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
This person posts under another handle. Posting anonymously like this completely negates the value of anything they might have otherwise said.

Man up and post under the other handle, why don’t you?

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
I am glad the OP started this thread. It needed to be said. Geno's approach up this point clearly hasn't worked. I wonder much more rope he gets until he is fired? Enough is enough!!

Given some of the off the wall posts we've seen on this thread, I took it literally for half a heartbeat. Well done. :rolleyes:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Who are you to judge what is foolish and what is not foolish? Your opinion may be on track as far as you are concerned but foolish to someone else.
Well this one was pretty damn obvious. But to answer your question, I'm meyers7. WTFAY? :cool:

Your opinion may be on track as far as you are concerned but foolish to someone else.
Sure, then they can show me (er, try to show me) why that is? But we know how that usually turns out. :rolleyes:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Some of the die hards on this board will not admit Geno is not god. He is the best coach in the country and has proven it. But he also makes mistakes and is a very stubborn man. Things have changed for recruits. There are alot of good coaches out the there so they have more choices. I thought Walker should of gotten more playing time. She showed how good she was early on only to see her minutes diminish. She should of gotten more of Molly's minutes. She is a better player and was needed in the final 4. She is tough and an excellent rebounder. I think Geno took allott of her confidence away. Now days recruits see that more than the past and are pickier. Coaches have to change with times.
And right there is where I think Geno's problem with her was. When they are ready, they don't let that happen.

Reaction Score
It's a good thing for WBB that other programs are catching up to the Huskies. There was a time when ND had Uconn's number. Then Stewie arrived and changed the dynamic entirely. It goes in cycles. Uconn has been on an upcycle for several years now others are catching up. That's not a bad thing.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
This person posts under another handle. Posting anonymously like this completely negates the value of anything they might have otherwise said.

Man up and post under the other handle, why don’t you?
Yea, I'm thinking this poster is not one who regularly cowboys up.

urban-cowboy-2.gif

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Some of the die hards on this board will not admit Geno is not god. He is the best coach in the country and has proven it. But he also makes mistakes and is a very stubborn man. Things have changed for recruits. There are alot of good coaches out the there so they have more choices. I thought Walker should of gotten more playing time. She showed how good she was early on only to see her minutes diminish. She should of gotten more of Molly's minutes. She is a better player and was needed in the final 4. She is tough and an excellent rebounder. I think Geno took allott of her confidence away. Now days recruits see that more than the past and are pickier. Coaches have to change with times.

You are entitled to your opinion. But do you have any first hand knowledge of what Megan thinks?

Sure Geno is stubborn but are you sure it is causing problems? You call it being Stubborn. I call it being true to your beliefs.

For all the “ chicken little” here, we lost 2 games in the last three seasons! Get real.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score

Ahem, I am a self appointed expert in this area. According to a recent survey conducted by yours truly, only 9 Yarders, 6.5% believe Geno is a basketball God, the rest of us just think of him as the best WCBB coach ever.
QED ;)

?
You vs Geno, who knows basketball better
  1. I am a BB God. Geno should retire now and name me HC.
    4 vote(s)
    2.9%
  2. I am smarter than Geno. He should hire me so I can correct his errors. (I want CDs job.)
    2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  3. I am just as smart as Geno. He should call me for advise.
    2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  4. I am pretty good at BB, but Geno is better. I wouldn't have the nerve to criique him to his face.
    16 vote(s)
    11.6%
  5. *
    Geno is the best coach of all time. It really doesn't matter what I know.
    85 vote(s)
    61.6%
  6. Geno is the basketball God. Those who dare to critique him shall burn for their blasphemy.
    9 vote(s)
    6.5%
  7. None of the above. Geno may be smarter than me but I reserve the right to critique him.
    20 vote(s)
    14.5%
Change Your Vote

Reaction Score
Who are you to judge what is foolish and what is not foolish? Your opinion may be on track as far as you are concerned but foolish to someone else.
To judge a post is foolish or not, one way is to look how many people "like" the post.
For sure meyers7's posts are not foolish to me and other people.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think this thread really doesn’t concern playing time as much as how Megan “looks” as a player—does she pass the eye test? Many of you will say yes. I’m not so sure. She seems to be a strong rebounder and has the potential to be a tenacious defender, but offensively, I’m not convinced she’s the next Maya Moore, as some on this board will say. Sometimes she seems very unsure on the court, and that lack of confidence has to be fixed in order for her to make the next step. I don’t think she can create her own shot like Moore, and I don’t think she has Moore’s size either, though she’s listed at 6’1”. I find it curious that some think she could play the four spot—she’ll get bullied off the court by teams like Baylor and Notre Dame if she becomes an inside player.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
There are opinions based on knowledge, insight, intelligence or some combination of those attributes. These opinions, while not always correct, have value. They can be meaningfully debated, to the education of all.
Then there are opinions that are based on, oh, I don't know, dog poop?
Ask yourself if the Op's post passes the smell test.
JMHO! :D

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I do sometimes wonder if Geno couldn't find a little more time in lopsided games for some of the lesser-used players so that maybe Megan could have got 18 or 19 minutes per game rather than 15. But it's still not like Megan was totally rooted to the bench. 38% of the time she was out there all the time ;)
I think the issue for me is to put in the key bench players with the 3 of the starters and not have 4/5 Bench players on the court at the same time as that is not a pleasant sight. How does Molly/Kyla do with KLS, Crystal Dangerfield, Pheesa and Megan? Will they make the same mistakes or by having a knowledgeable set of players help them? What would Batouly have done with any combo of 4 players among KLS, Gabby, Kia, Z, Pheesa, Crystal Dangerfield? I think it would have helped their development like it did with KLS/Pheesa who got to play significant minutes as a 5th option with Stewie, Morgan, Mo, Kia and Gabby when they were freshman.

Honestly, the only issue I really have is when Geno makes remarks about not having a bench as that is a product of his own doing. If he only wants to play 6 or 7, fine, just don't make comments that you lack depth as depth is developed.

As far as #1's go, I thought this thread was going to be about Baby Bru eschewing UConn for the Green planet and if we had any shot at the other 2020 or 2021 top player. For me, based on Baby Bru's stats this year, here past weekend's numbers, I am really questioning if she should be the #1 player in that class. I just don't see it to be honest. I do get the hype around some of the others in classes behind her, especially Azzi Fudd but to me, Brunelle is slipping to the 4, 5, 6 range (not that that is so terrible).

Reaction Score
I remember we couldn't even get a high school player of the year to commit to UCONN,and now that we're on a rollercoaster of winning National Championships, you decide to sit the best player in the country.?! I know he has his own philosophy, however, people tend to forget that these girls are between the ages of 18 to 22 years old. Their mentality is I want to play, and I'm seeing all the other girls that I played against in high school getting a lot of playing time and shining on the division 1 level, and I'm sitting on the bench.?! I don't care what Meagan Walker says during her interview, when players of her status go back to their hometown they are not happy. It's embarrassing, and there's a lot of questions that's being asked from friends and family members that they just don't know how to handle. Put your arrogance to the side and play the girls. We ,the fans, want to see them play.

No attack here Teep but you do come across as a troll with VERY little knowledge of the program. As a supposedly new member on this forum you remember when "we" couldn't get a high school player of the year to commit to UConn. Do you even realize who changed this situation and got players even better than those from CT to come here??? :confused::confused::confused:
You mention a roller coaster of winning NC's. Any idea of who is responsible for that awful situation? :D
You have the capability to determine who is the best player in the country? You assume people forget how old the players are? Is this another attack on the average age of the UConn women fans? We don't know how old they are? When speaking for "the fans" and using "we" you should identify the anti Geno group you are representing.
I'll simply use a younger persons term, "chill" and enjoy the ride because you are going to miss him when he's gone. ;)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
No attack here Teep but you do come across as a troll with VERY little knowledge of the program. As a supposedly new member on this forum you remember when "we" couldn't get a high school player of the year to commit to UConn. Do you even realize who changed this situation and got players even better than those from CT to come here??? :confused::confused::confused:
You mention a roller coaster of winning NC's. Any idea of who is responsible for that awful situation? :D
You have the capability to determine who is the best player in the country? You assume people forget how old the players are? Is this another attack on the average age of the UConn women fans? We don't know how old they are? When speaking for "the fans" and using "we" you should identify the anti Geno group you are representing.
I'll simply use a younger persons term, "chill" and enjoy the ride because you are going to miss him when he's gone. ;)
I want to use the language of the young and thank you for " keepin it 100 dawg". :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom