Geno needs to show the #1 high school players of the year more love. | The Boneyard

Geno needs to show the #1 high school players of the year more love.

Teef

4 Sheldon
Reaction Score
I remember we couldn't even get a high school player of the year to commit to UCONN,and now that we're on a rollercoaster of winning National Championships, you decide to sit the best player in the country.?! I know he has his own philosophy, however, people tend to forget that these girls are between the ages of 18 to 22 years old. Their mentality is I want to play, and I'm seeing all the other girls that I played against in high school getting a lot of playing time and shining on the division 1 level, and I'm sitting on the bench.?! I don't care what Meagan Walker says during her interview, when players of her status go back to their hometown they are not happy. It's embarrassing, and there's a lot of questions that's being asked from friends and family members that they just don't know how to handle. Put your arrogance to the side and play the girls. We ,the fans, want to see them play.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Once we get totally past the 4peat... and not win a Championship next year the rumbling will start with Geno needing to change his style. I think some recruits are backing away from UConn because of his style

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
His last 2 yr tradition isn't anything to celebrate! lol

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Yea Geno is doing a terrible job recruiting #1 HS POY’s. That’s why he will only have 3 out of 4 (Lou, MW, CW) in Storrs next season, with Cox at Baylor. :confused:
those #1s haven't done anything either

Reaction Score
First of all, you have no idea what's in Megan Walker's head, what her family & friends say, etc., etc. Please don't portray yourself as speaking for the fans. You're entitled to your opinion, but let's not wrap it in anything other than that. Megan played quite a bit, but until she's the best option to put on the floor her time will be limited. It's a process that works. Annoying thread. Give it a rest.

Reaction Score
Can we stop with the MW & Geno saga!? She came in a little too overhyped (from this board especially) and she was behind literally 6 AA type players. What did she show the last 6 weeks of the season to gain anyone’s trust in big games? I’m expecting her to have a good season next year with a year of experience under her belt but she just simply wasn’t ready last year. It happens, move on.

Reaction Score
Other programs are catching up and this is a natural evolution of the sport. There is more good talent coming through the ranks and its being spread out to more schools. No longer will it be just Tennessee, then Just Uconn, its going to be 6 good teams, then 8 good teams till probably one day it will be 24 good teams that can do some bracket busting come March. Geno did not forget how to coach, or recruit and Geno should be Geno. Did you ever care to think that Megan Walker deserved tough love? Maybe Geno being around Megan 24-7 knows more than we do? I trust our head coach. I don't get the point of this thread. Lock it up!

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
The OP's text is nearly a cut and paste of another identity that flew in here, then rapidly disappeared, a few months ago. It got properly debunked then. If necessary, we can supply sufficient fact and logic to shread the reincarnated text.
For now, I'll just say it's a lot of poorly informed malarky.

Here is the earlier version of the same old claptrap:
Development of incoming freshman

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I get the point of the thread, but even if the OP is 100%v correct (and I doubt that), what is likely to change? Geno is not going to change his style of coaching. He admits he has changed his approach to his players over the years, saying they would not be likely to respond to the kinds of things he and his staff could do years ago. But let's face it: We like UConn basketball (at least I do) because the players are taught to be unselfish, to make the extra pass, to do the little extra things. When they all go out on the floor at the start of games, what's the mantra? "Together."

So he's going to let freshmen play more because otherwise they will be embarrassed when they go home for the summer? I don't think so. And while, like everyone else, I wish more players got more playing time this year, they have to earn that time and if he says they didn't, that's good enough for me.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I remember we couldn't even get a high school player of the year to commit to UCONN,and now that we're on a rollercoaster of winning National Championships, you decide to sit the best player in the country.?! I know he has his own philosophy, however, people tend to forget that these girls are between the ages of 18 to 22 years old. Their mentality is I want to play, and I'm seeing all the other girls that I played against in high school getting a lot of playing time and shining on the division 1 level, and I'm sitting on the bench.?! I don't care what Meagan Walker says during her interview, when players of her status go back to their hometown they are not happy. It's embarrassing, and there's a lot of questions that's being asked from friends and family members that they just don't know how to handle. Put your arrogance to the side and play the girls. We ,the fans, want to see them play.

A lot of assumptions here. I wonder what the sources are for your insights into how individual players feel.

First, obviously you reject the players statements as having veracity. So I am curious as to how you know the inner workings of an 18-22 year old's mind and particularly MW's. (Although I would be disappointed if a quality lady like MW was satisfied with how the year turned out for the team and individually.)

Second, every player that comes to UConn knows it is not like any other program. It has different standards and requirements for playing time and filling up the hoop is far down the list. UConn is a long haul program and the players are informed of that from the beginning.

Third, yes, we the fans do want to see them play. But not at the expense of personal growth and development as a player. I know your sentiments do not speak for me and I believe other fans also.

Lastly, a lot of your fears would be mitigated if you understood a primary role of CD. To oversimplify, she is the agent who helps the ladies get through their rough spots during their 4 years and the rest of their careers.

Reaction Score
Yea Geno is doing a terrible job recruiting #1 HS POY’s. That’s why he will only have 3 out of 4 (Lou, MW, CW) in Storrs next season, with Cox at Baylor. :confused:

Geno's approach has always attracted those willing to survive the gauntlet..............unfortunately last year's bench issues were not a positive for some of those concerned.............

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Geno's approach has always attracted those willing to survive the gauntlet....unfortunately last year's bench issues were not a positive for some of those concerned...
I believe you could make that statement for just about any season, not only in Storrs, but at practically every top WBB program nationwide.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I actually do care what Megan Walker says. Contrary to popular opinion (maybe just yours) not all #1 that come to UCONN are pre-ordained for stardom. UCONN has a pretty good track record and Megan has 3 years of eligibility remaining.
A pretty good history lesson in the article below:
UConn Women Have Knack For Landing No. 1 Recruit; Megan Walker The Latest

Reaction Score
I believe you ould make that statement for just about any season, not only in Storrs, but at practically every top WBB program nationwide.

I don't know of another program that works their kids harder physically or mentally.................that's what makes UConn so special..............that said, I don't remember a season like last year when it came to Geno's relationship with his bench.............that comes at a cost to the program and some of it's players......

Reaction Score
I get the point of the thread, but even if the OP is 100%v correct (and I doubt that), what is likely to change? Geno is not going to change his style of coaching. He admits he has changed his approach to his players over the years, saying they would not be likely to respond to the kinds of things he and his staff could do years ago. But let's face it: We like UConn basketball (at least I do) because the players are taught to be unselfish, to make the extra pass, to do the little extra things. When they all go out on the floor at the start of games, what's the mantra? "Together."

So he's going to let freshmen play more because otherwise they will be embarrassed when they go home for the summer? I don't think so. And while, like everyone else, I wish more players got more playing time this year, they have to earn that time and if he says they didn't, that's good enough for me.

The best coaches do adjust over time.
Look at the difference between Bobby Knight and Coach K. BK could not change his system to the new style of play nor could he cut the military like intensity. Coach K modified and survived.

Reaction Score
Why do people even reply to foolish posts like this?
This warmer weather is bringing the trolls out from under their bridges.
Why is this a foolish post? It’s a stated opinion ...and is certainly not from a troll. Geno has been highly successful enough not to be randonly second-guessed. Is , however, his handling of high recruits entering their first year of college level basketball subject to some question? Seems to be a valid discussion item worthy of diverse opinions- not attacked as some scandalous diatribe against our Hall of Fame coach. One would think that the Boneyard is capable of handling such diverse opinions- even diverse opinions that involve Coach Geno.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't know of another program that works their kids harder physically or mentally.......that's what makes UConn so special....that said, I don't remember a season like last year when it came to Geno's relationship with his bench...that comes at a cost to the program and some of it's players.
You really need to stop before someone calls you crazy again!
You have no idea what Geno's relationship with his bench is/was like.
You are not taxing your memory very hard because both the 14, 15 championships were won with a rotation of 6 players and 2 walk on players on the roster.
You speak of "cost to the program & some of it's players" , as if such a thing existed outside of your imagination.
You called UCONN a special place and probably should have stopped there.

HGN

Reaction Score
Geno's style is just fine........Nothing wrong with it. And there's nothing to change. ND won a NC for the first time in a decade , but no one is talking about them changing their style or approach.
UConn has been to more straight FF's than any other team , but yet they are the one's to change ?? Whatever style Geno is using , every coach out there would love to duplicate it.

Every player wants to play every minute of every game.......But its not going to happen. And the kids coming to UConn know that.

UConn has had more NC's than any other basketball playing school in history............Using Geno's methods and style. And he's done it with kids from Lobo to Stewart. From 1985--2016.
The players have changed over the years but the style and methods have remained the same.

And the results speak for themselves.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom