Gamecocks 2021 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Gamecocks 2021

Reaction Score
on the eve of her bid for another state title, Raven Johnson is the HS Naismith Award winner.
Can someone who has seen more of Johnson (or really any of the incoming class) share their thoughts and how we expect them to impact the roster next year? To me, this group arguably looks more complete than the 2019-20 freshmen.

SC very much has a chance to win a title this year, but it feels like somewhat of an outside shot. I’m not confident we can score enough. The next two years of overlap between two great recruiting classes should, in my opinion, lead to a title. But the ball bounces in a funny way sometimes.

Reaction Score
Can someone who has seen more of Johnson (or really any of the incoming class) share their thoughts and how we expect them to impact the roster next year? To me, this group arguably looks more complete than the 2019-20 freshmen.

SC very much has a chance to win a title this year, but it feels like somewhat of an outside shot. I’m not confident we can score enough. The next two years of overlap between two great recruiting classes should, in my opinion, lead to a title. But the ball bounces in a funny way sometimes.

Ive seen Rivers, Johnson, and Feagin in person on multiple occasions. I’ve only seen Hall once and person and I watched her last two previous playoff games. They’re all legit. I think they will all come in and fill the holes this years team has. A legit back up PG, Another shot creator and scorer from the perimeter, A versatile Forward that’s equally good both ways, and a long athletic playmaker both defensively and offensively. If they plug into their roles like the ‘19 class did then they’ll be a scary team to face.

Reaction Score
Ive seen Rivers, Johnson, and Feagin in person on multiple occasions. I’ve only seen Hall once and person and I watched her last two previous playoff games. They’re all legit. I think they will all come in and fill the holes this years team has. A legit back up PG, Another shot creator and scorer from the perimeter, A versatile Forward that’s equally good both ways, and a long athletic playmaker both defensively and offensively. If they plug into their roles like the ‘19 class did then they’ll be a scary team to face.
Thanks! I like Henderson at PG, but do you think there’s any chance Johnson sends her to the bench?

Reaction Score
Thanks! I like Henderson at PG, but do you think there’s any chance Johnson sends her to the bench?
Hard for me to see Henny as a senior losing her spot especially after the year she’s having. I see Raven as a backup year one. She’ll be like Henny was in her sophomore year coming off the bench with little drop off at the position.

Reaction Score
Florida State or Oregon State to start. Again with the FSU?

Then West Virginia or Ga Tech.

Then Maryland or UCLA.

I can live with that.

Reaction Score
Florida State or Oregon State to start. Again with the FSU?

Then West Virginia or Ga Tech.

Then Maryland or UCLA.

I can live with that.
I did not want NC State in our region. I would have taken anyone else to avoid them and UConn. All in all, this is a relatively smooth road for SC—Maryland is the major hurdle, at least on paper.

I wonder who would win that matchup. We struggle to put points on the board sometimes, but that’s usually against good defensive teams. We could potentially match Maryland in production if we met up.

Reaction Score
I did not want NC State in our region. I would have taken anyone else to avoid them and UConn. All in all, this is a relatively smooth road for SC—Maryland is the major hurdle, at least on paper.

I wonder who would win that matchup. We struggle to put points on the board sometimes, but that’s usually against good defensive teams. We could potentially match Maryland in production if we met up.

Grisette is out for the tournament so that makes none of this easier.

I'd probably give us the second hardest path.

1. UConn 2. SC 3. Stanford 4. Nc state

Reaction Score

Maryland plays super up-tempo, and runs opponents out of the games offensively. They lead the nation in scoring offense, but scoring defense (8th in B10, 264th in WBB), FG % defense (7th, 219th), 3pt FG % defense (11th, 279th), and blocks/gm (9th, 178th), are all pedestrian or worse in a league that's not a great defensive league. They shoot very well. But the Gamecock's own offense has been better when it has been able to play up-tempo, so this may be a game of rapid-fire scoring on each end.

Questions: I doubt the Gamecocks would be able to match the Terps basket for basket, but can the Terps frustrate the Gamecocks defensively as well as the Gamecocks can with them? That could balance the scoring scales out a bit, but who knows.....

Reaction Score
Grisette is out for the tournament so that makes none of this easier.

I'd probably give us the second hardest path.

1. UConn 2. SC 3. Stanford 4. Nc state

It will require Saxton to play more than the around 20 minutes per game she's been playing, and for Russell to play more minutes as well, to help pick up the slack. But it's a definite loss for us......

Reaction Score
Reminds me of LeLe a little bit.
In what way does she remind you of LeLe ? I want to be educated because I see two totally different players. Breezy has a scorers mentality and LeLe did not coming out of high school IMO

Reaction Score
Speaking of La'Keisha, she played her HS ball at Trenton Catholic, which stars the number 2 prospect in the 2023 class along with #23.

There are also a number of highly rated prospects from Metro Columbia in upcoming classes:

2022: #13 Ashlyn Watkins from Cardinal Newman in Columbia plus not far away #8 Talaysia Cooper from East Clarendon, about 60 miles away;

2023: #3 Malaysia Fulwiley from Keenan HS in Columbia

2024: # 8 Joyce Edwards from Camden HS

It will be nice to have some local stars again, like when Alaina and A'ja were on the team and like back in the 80s - early 2000s.
You better beleive Dawn and coach Fred are all over-c/o 23
Aalyah Del Rosario

Aalyah Del Rosario​

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In what way does she remind you of LeLe ? I want to be educated because I see two totally different players. Breezy has a scorers mentality and LeLe did not coming out of high school IMO
Similar frames and athleticism.

They both play the point in their team's full court pressure.

I think they move similarly.

Reaction Score
I have to say that I appreciate the evenness of your support for USC. Very refreshing...

As I watch Dawn’s recruiting, it resembles to me in some ways that of Pat Summit: go after the best athletes somewhat regardless of their specific basketball skills. To me, Baylor recruits that way as well.

That recipe worked very well for Tennessee until UConn started getting very good athletes who had also had more basketball attributes. To me, Stanford and ND do the same.

I realize these are gross assessments but would you agree???

Thanks
Well I disagree with your assessments as IMO-they presumptuous. Pat Summit went after Candace parker because she was the best Athlete and had the best skill set. Its bad narrative out there about South Carola and the melanin content of the players they recruit coded in the word "shooter" and "athlete" and it needs to stop. All of these MCDonald AA & USA Basketball members she has on the team are very skilled shooters or they would not have been gifted with hardware they have.... NO I am not accusing you of anything but OMG-everytime one of her guards miss an outside shot -ppl say oh Beal/Cooke/Henderson are just Athletes who are not shooters. Coach Staley does offer scholarships to Shooters-Why do yu think she brought Olivia Thompson in.;there are tons of women over the last 4 years who fit the shooter description she has offered. They chose another school.

Reaction Score
Maybe it's just the power of suggestion, but she does remind me a lot of her dad, who did have a small NBA career.

She's pretty coltish and thin like Ryan was. Long arms to go along with pretty good touch. Lefty. Get her a bit stronger and more experienced, keep extending her range, maybe she grows another inch or two.

Still seems like a project to work on, but that is again what her dad was.
At this point she is still only 14 years old... no more than 15.. she has alot of time to mature

Reaction Score
At this point she is still only 14 years old... no more than 15.. she has alot of time to mature
Sophomore clips and numbers showed steady progress.

I liked listening to one of her interviews. She knows what she needs to work on.

Reaction Score
Are you Jolette Law, Boyer ? or Coach Fred ? You are way to familiar with FBC United Mo and GA Pearls AAU circuit basketball in Metro Atlanta. lol . In support of your opinion-Coach Staley likes to use her incoming PG in the 2G backup role to start out but like TY Harris;I also think Johnson is the backup PG day one in Henderson's Sr year. She reminds me of Ty because of her mid-range pull up and she runs at variables speeds on offense. Her game imo is to pass the ball to the wing first before dribbling down the court and trying to distribute. I think Sania's trainer [Swain] really blossomed her game starting her 10th grade year to make her the versatile forward you identified .... I think Saniya Rivers is the X factor because she can get her own shot like Bueckers and Fudd IMO when the offense breaks down-she does not play rushed. I got high hopes for Hall but if LeLe Comes back-that may cut into her playing time..

Reaction Score
Sophomore clips and numbers showed steady progress.

I liked listening to one of her interviews. She knows what she needs to work on.
Agreed. I also think her performance in the EYBL got her noticed IMO. The SC76ers who lost Fulwiley,Watkins and Edwards to the UA leauge in Atlanta this year & Cooper playing for Nc Team Curry -gave her an opportunity and she grabbed it and made it the best in terms of exsposure.

Reaction Score
Are you Jolette Law, Boyer ? or Coach Fred ? You are way to familiar with FBC United Mo and GA Pearls AAU circuit basketball in Metro Atlanta. lol . In support of your opinion-Coach Staley likes to use her incoming PG in the 2G backup role to start out but like TY Harris;I also think Johnson is the backup PG day one in Henderson's Sr year. She reminds me of Ty because of her mid-range pull up and she runs at variables speeds on offense. Her game imo is to pass the ball to the wing first before dribbling down the court and trying to distribute. I think Sania's trainer [Swain] really blossomed her game starting her 10th grade year to make her the versatile forward you identified .... I think Saniya Rivers is the X factor because she can get her own shot like Bueckers and Fudd IMO when the offense breaks down-she does not play rushed. I got high hopes for Hall but if LeLe Comes back-that may cut into her playing time..
No just a spectator. I have a connections with some AAU cocaches so I get to watch different teams play sometimes. Johnson has the goods. She will be like Ty was her freshman year, so calm and steady as a freshman. Rivers will probably be the best guard to come through SC when it’s said and done. She’s that good. Feagin probably has the best trainer in the Southeast in Swain. He’s transformed so many players games. Kayla McPherson and Jillian Hollingshead included. Feagin can shoot, dribble, pass, rebound, and block shots all at a high level. The sky is the limit for her. Hall also has a high ceiling she can defend multiple positions and has a very good midrange shot. I don’t see LeLe coming back so they all should get playing time.

Reaction Score
No just a spectator. I have a connections with some AAU cocaches so I get to watch different teams play sometimes. Johnson has the goods. She will be like Ty was her freshman year, so calm and steady as a freshman. Rivers will probably be the best guard to come through SC when it’s said and done. She’s that good. Feagin probably has the best trainer in the Southeast in Swain. He’s transformed so many players games. Kayla McPherson and Jillian Hollingshead included. Feagin can shoot, dribble, pass, rebound, and block shots all at a high level. The sky is the limit for her. Hall also has a high ceiling she can defend multiple positions and has a very good midrange shot. I don’t see LeLe coming back so they all should get playing time.

I feel like Hall might be a more natural scorer than Beal has turned out to be. Do you agree with that?

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I feel like Hall might be a more natural scorer than Beal has turned out to be. Do you agree with that?
Everything about Beal’s shooting motion seems unnatural to me... from the actual motion itself to the speed of her shot. I personally think she needs to work on the actual mechanics ... but then I’ll hear Dawn say she has a “good shot”...

So I’m confused once more haha, but not for long because I’m leaving it to the expert, Dawn.

Hall seems to have a solid all around game. A utility player.. she’s gonna give you length on the perimeter without handicapping you on offense, and right now I think she’s more of a natural scorer than Beal. She’s more aggressive at hunting her shot than Beal I think. When Beal is aggressive she’s REALLY good, but then she misses a few and loses confidence.. that’s when the opposing defense sags off of her because they know she’s no longer gonna shoot or slash to the basket.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom