Gamecocks 2021 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Gamecocks 2021

Reaction Score
Yep... that statement in bold is true. Why a non would want to come in here just to troll you is beyond me. Though in my opinion Reypl21 is a good poster whose intent wasn't to troll.

But..... yall never answered my question... was Ryan Stack on that #2 seeded South Carolina team that lost to #15 seeded Coppin State in the first round of the NCAA tourney? :cool::p
No. He was on the team that beat Duke in Greenville Mr Blue Troll. Kidding. Yes, he was on the team that won our only SEC championship before shatting the sheets

Reaction Score
Yep... that statement in bold is true. Why a non would want to come in here just to troll you is beyond me. Though in my opinion Reypl21 is a good poster whose intent wasn't to troll.

But..... yall never answered my question... was Ryan Stack on that #2 seeded South Carolina team that lost to #15 seeded Coppin State in the first round of the NCAA tourney? :cool::p
Yes, but no word if he was present in New York at the 2017 Regional.

Reaction Score
Probably, but I think Boston does more than her fair share in the court given her offensive ability and defensive prowess. Could she do more? Sure. Does she need to for SC to win a title? I believe she does.

With Boston’s size and strength, she’s not going to run the floor like a guard. I’ve been namely impressed by her ability to switch out onto the perimeter. She seems more agile than I’d expect for her size.

There seem to be two categories of post players: agile and athletic forwards who function as centers for their teams (Nelson-Ododa, Hillmon, S. Austin, C. Collier) and true centers who dominate the paint (Boston, Cunane, K. Cardoso). Neither grouping is inherently better than the other. I just think Boston falls into the latter bucket. The fast and well-conditioned 5-players tend to be in the former.
Cardosa runs the floor as well as any center. Faster then almost all college centers.

Reaction Score
Cardosa runs the floor as well as any center. Faster then almost all college centers.
You are correct on that and I almost left her out of that group for this reason. Between her sheer size and dominance in the paint, she’s far more reminiscent of an old-school center than a slasher or tweener. Her mobility is great and her ceiling stratospheric. If she develops properly under Syracuse’s coach, she could be a lottery pick.

Reaction Score
You are correct on that and I almost left her out of that group for this reason. Between her sheer size and dominance in the paint, she’s far more reminiscent of an old-school center than a slasher or tweener. Her mobility is great and her ceiling stratospheric. If she develops properly under Syracuse’s coach, she could be a lottery pick.
The only problem she has right now is she is very nice. It's actually a refreshing trait.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
The only problem she has right now is she is very nice. It's actually a refreshing trait.
She actually shares that in common with Aliyah Boston. Dawn complains about it often.. Boston needs a mean streak. As dominant as Boston is, she could be more of an intimidator if she was nastier on the court. We occasionally see glimpses of nasty in her and it's always a crowd favorite moment... this is the same fanbase that watched players like Aleighsa Welch, Alaina Coates (by FAR the nastiest), Khadijah Sessions, A'ja Wilson (who is very nice off the court, but can get NASTY at times during games), and Kiki Herbert-Harrigan (probably next nastiest outside of Coates) so we're used to seeing the nasty from our players.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She actually shares that in common with Aliyah Boston. Dawn complains about it often.. Boston needs a mean streak. As dominant as Boston is, she could be more of an intimidator if she was nastier on the court. We occasionally see glimpses of nasty in her and it's always a crowd favorite moment... this is the same fanbase that watched players like Aleighsa Welch, Alaina Coates (by FAR the nastiest), Khadijah Sessions, A'ja Wilson (who is very nice off the court, but can get NASTY at times during games), and Kiki Herbert-Harrigan (probably next nastiest outside of Coates) so we're used to seeing the nasty from our players.
I think all of this Analysis of whats wrong wit SC's offense is off base and superficially highlights deficiencies in Boston & Cooke's game that has nothing to do with why the offense strugles at time. It has nothing to do with nasty, Cookes shot selection or Bostons staina as this entire thread suggests. Look at the 5 pieces SCar trots out on the court. When they are playing well and the 4 position is scoring inside-they are unmatched. So when teams stack the paint against SCar -0they are doing it with Big on Big . The person who is guarding our for (99% its going to be a taller player) will come into the lane and dobule Boston because teams are not scared of our 4s hitting a shot outside of the paint. This impacts Zia and Henderson because the guard can now cover her closely at the 3pt line. Teams sometimes gamble and send the person guarding our small forward to triple Aliyah in the post. Cooke is throwing up the wild shot on the drive that worked last year because the 4 on our team was not in the paint constantly. So Cooke is driving one on three most of the time because her defender is running her off the three into a congested paint. We need a four that can hit the shot 8-12 feet away with some consistency. That will open up the paint for Boston and the driving lane for Cooke.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I think all of this Analysis of whats wrong wit SC's offense is off base and superficially highlights deficiencies in Boston & Cooke's game that has nothing to do with why the offense strugles at time. It has nothing to do with nasty, Cookes shot selection or Bostons staina as this entire thread suggests. Look at the 5 pieces SCar trots out on the court. When they are playing well and the 4 position is scoring inside-they are unmatched. So when teams stack the paint against SCar -0they are doing it with Big on Big . The person who is guarding our for (99% its going to be a taller player) will come into the lane and dobule Boston because teams are not scared of our 4s hitting a shot outside of the paint. This impacts Zia and Henderson because the guard can now cover her closely at the 3pt line. Teams sometimes gamble and send the person guarding our small forward to triple Aliyah in the post. Cooke is throwing up the wild shot on the drive that worked last year because the 4 on our team was not in the paint constantly. So Cooke is driving one on three most of the time because her defender is running her off the three into a congested paint. We need a four that can hit the shot 8-12 feet away with some consistency. That will open up the paint for Boston and the driving lane for Cooke.
Nothing I said about Boston in the post you quoted is off base. Dawn has said this herself. If you know Aliyah better than Dawn, then have at it. We can agree to disagree on that. That’s fine.

You do have a point on Boston’s fitness and Cooke’s shot selection. I think Boston’s fitness gets way overblown here. Some posters here are way too comfortable critiquing her physique. She’s not Olivia Nelson Ododa, completely different body type, and it’s odd when it comes from the same posters that beg for Nelson-Ododa to put on a few pounds of muscle every offseason. Although I do think Cooke needs to improve her shot selection, it’s very obvious why she’s not as effective this season as the last, which you’ve highlighted.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree that the offense is more impacted by not having any stretch or playmaking from the 3 and 4 spots than it is by Cooke and Boston not playing optimally.

And Cooke and Boston struggles are related to that.

But Cooke and Boston not improving much offensively is also a big problem.

South Carolina is a team with a volume shooting lead scorer with a low percentage from the field. Those don't generally go that far in postseason.

By next year they have got to find a way to shave a bunch of bad shots off Cooke's stat sheet.

Reaction Score
Teams you wouldn't like to see in the NCAAs early?

I have seen them not at all, but I don't like the idea of a second round matchup with Syracuse which is what Creme has on the board. A great defensive big who can put pressure on Boston, plus I assume a solid zone defense bothers me. Probably has something to do with them knocking us out once before.

Beyond that, I'm leery of an early matchup against a zone team with a big time scorer. Don't want either of the Iowas.

Reaction Score
Two weeks to go before the NCAA Tournament begins. The team now needs to spend these 2 weeks first resting up and healing dings and bruises (Grissett), then focus primarily on layup drills, layup drills, and then extra layup drills. Second, work on ball protection, handling, and distribution skills. Then more layup drills.

Also, work on floor spacing, perimeter shooting, and free throw shooting. Then all other drills and practices normally, as they are in fairly good shape. But don't forget those layup drills!

Reaction Score
Teams you wouldn't like to see in the NCAAs early?

I have seen them not at all, but I don't like the idea of a second round matchup with Syracuse which is what Creme has on the board. A great defensive big who can put pressure on Boston, plus I assume a solid zone defense bothers me. Probably has something to do with them knocking us out once before.

Beyond that, I'm leery of an early matchup against a zone team with a big time scorer. Don't want either of the Iowas.

While I understand you feeling leery about the match up, I would think the challenge would be Cardoso handling Boston versus the other way around. Boston being outside the key is a defensive challenge we haven't seen Cardoso have to deal with much from what I have been able to see.

It also depends on who Coach Q thinks will cause more problems for Boston. I think he'd be willing to try Engstler against her to see how Boston defends her mobility.

Reaction Score
While I understand you feeling leery about the match up, I would think the challenge would be Cardoso handling Boston versus the other way around. Boston being outside the key is a defensive challenge we haven't seen Cardoso have to deal with much from what I have been able to see.

It also depends on who Coach Q thinks will cause more problems for Boston. I think he'd be willing to try Engstler against her to see how Boston defends her mobility.

I don't know a ton about Syracuse, but I think putting a listed 6'1 player on Boston when you have Cardoso and other bigger bodies available would be a big mistake.

Like size bothers Boston on the offensive end.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Nothing I said about Boston in the post you quoted is off base. Dawn has said this herself. If you know Aliyah better than Dawn, then have at it. We can agree to disagree on that. That’s fine.
You do have a point on Boston’s fitness and Cooke’s shot selection. I think Boston’s fitness gets way overblown here. Some posters here are way too comfortable critiquing her physique. She’s not Olivia Nelson Ododa, completely different body type, and it’s odd when it comes from the same posters that beg for Nelson-Ododa to put on a few pounds of muscle every offseason. Although I do think Cooke needs to improve her shot selection, it’s very obvious why she’s not as effective this season as the last, which you’ve highlighted.
While I agree with mostly everything you are saying I don't think posters are questioning her physique. Many including myself have questioned her conditioning and that's two completely different things. A great example of the difference is Emily Engstler of Syracuse. Emily came back this season with a completely different physique and a worst basketball player IMO. It has been a weird season though and I would want to throw too many more stones because after posting about Boston's conditioning I saw quite a few UCONN players including Paige gassed at the end of some recent games.

Reaction Score
I don't know a ton about Syracuse, but I think putting a listed 6'1 player on Boston when you have Cardoso and other bigger bodies available would be a big mistake.

Like size bothers Boston on the offensive end.

Fair, but my point is that Syracuse have others Coach Q may throw at Boston over Cardoso. I also thought Engstler was taller (my bad).

Cardoso hasn't been tested physically in the ACC with anyone with a playing style like Boston. Until we see how she handles getting pushed around, I think Boston has the advantage.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Fair, but my point is that Syracuse have others Coach Q may throw at Boston over Cardoso. I also thought Engstler was taller (my bad).

Cardoso hasn't been tested physically in the ACC with anyone with a playing style like Boston. Until we see how she handles getting pushed around, I think Boston has the advantage.
Syracuse didn’t play NC State?

Reaction Score
While I agree with mostly everything you are saying I don't think posters are questioning her physique. Many including myself have questioned her conditioning and that's two completely different things. A great example of the difference is Emily Engstler of Syracuse. Emily came back this season with a completely different physique and a worst basketball player IMO. It has been a weird season though and I would want to throw too many more stones because after posting about Boston's conditioning I saw quite a few UCONN players including Paige gassed at the end of some recent games.
Could you expand on this point please?

I thought she improved in comparison and I was impressed with how she embraced the change from being a starter to coming off the bench.

Reaction Score

Not sure what Groot's recruiting looks like, but some nice looking highlights here. Hard to imagine anyone in SCISSA can match the size with her and Watkins.

Not quite sure how she ended up at Cardinal Newman...believe she's a NY native.

Reaction Score
You also have to remember none of these kids went through the summer program. I know at SC it is extensive and top notch.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom