From the guy who brought you “Hassan Diarra reminds me of Taliek Brown” I have another scorching hot PG take. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

From the guy who brought you “Hassan Diarra reminds me of Taliek Brown” I have another scorching hot PG take.

Reaction Score
He is not right between his ears.... HE cannot figure out why he averaged over 16 pts/game at ECU and why he cannot do the same here...and IMO it is affecting his overall play... So much so that he is not playing a lick of defense...
The on ball defense in the BE is so much tougher than the American. But Newton might be our most important piece if this team wants to win more games. Diarra and Calcaterra can give us reserve minutes but are not BE quality starters. Alleyne should only see the floor if others are in foul trouble.

Reaction Score
He is not right between his ears.... HE cannot figure out why he averaged over 16 pts/game at ECU and why he cannot do the same here...and IMO it is affecting his overall play... So much so that he is not playing a lick of defense...
Agree on most but Newtons defense is as good as most everyone elses. Diarra got ripped up when he came in, blown by then had to foul because he got backed down and no one says "thats crappy defense" because he's supposedly so good. AJ and Hawk were arguably the worst defenders the other night and Hawk was just as bad versus the Johnnies but he got 31 so he got a pass - not from me. Newton plays good defense, solid actually when he can stay in step with his guy problem is some are really quick. It's not easy guarding the scat guards and that's on Hurley and the staff. If he's going to get beat a lot then slough off, give them space don't go out to the hash and half court and get in their grill there, give'em space.

Reaction Score
The on ball defense in the BE is so much tougher than the American. But Newton might be our most important piece if this team wants to win more games. Diarra and Calcaterra can give us reserve minutes but are not BE quality starters. Alleyne should only see the floor if others are in foul trouble.

I think they lost Alleyne, this is not the same player that came in from VTech. Not saying it's anyones fault might just be his, but the kid they got as a transfer was a much better player than what we have on the floor. That's scary!

Reaction Score
Agree on most but Newtons defense is as good as most everyone elses. Diarra got ripped up when he came in, blown by then had to foul because he got backed down and no one says "thats crappy defense" because he's supposedly so good. AJ and Hawk were arguably the worst defenders the other night and Hawk was just as bad versus the Johnnies but he got 31 so he got a pass - not from me. Newton plays good defense, solid actually when he can stay in step with his guy problem is some are really quick. It's not easy guarding the scat guards and that's on Hurley and the staff. If he's going to get beat a lot then slough off, give them space don't go out to the hash and half court and get in their grill there, give'em space.
Why not play some zone with Clingan on the floor to cut down on these easy drives to the hoop after beating their defender. Against SH Clingan was required to move to the top of the key too much which took him out of defensive and rebounding position. Coaches should have seen this but didn't.

Reaction Score
Why not play some zone with Clingan on the floor to cut down on these easy drives to the hoop after beating their defender. Against SH Clingan was required to move to the top of the key too much which took him out of defensive and rebounding position. Coaches should have seen this but didn't.

You will ask about this until you’re blue in the face freshler, I asked about it early on. Then they play some zone and they play the one which has the most lanes in it when not properly rotated.

Reaction Score
I think they lost Alleyne, this is not the same player that came in from VTech. Not saying it's anyones fault might just be his, but the kid they got as a transfer was a much better player than what we have on the floor. That's scary!
Appears that DH has a quick hook on Alleyne.. Sometimes he doesn't even break a sweat.. BTW.. There are times when he's contributing and it still happens (the hook)

Reaction Score
Appears that DH has a quick hook on Alleyne.. Sometimes he doesn't even break a sweat.. BTW.. There are times when he's contributing and it still happens (the hook)
Alleyne hasn't made a 3 in almost a month. He was supposed to be one of our "sharp shooters" coming in but he hasn't given us much so I don't blame DH for giving him a quick hook

Reaction Score
We must be watching 2 different Alleynes

Reaction Score
Alleyne hasn't made a 3 in almost a month. He was supposed to be one of our "sharp shooters" coming in but he hasn't given us much so I don't blame DH for giving him a quick hook

Actually it was less than 3 weeks ago. It’s also worth noting that he’s only played 53 minutes in that time.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Can Joey C start at PG for us? Everyone is saying Diarra should start over Newton but I’m not convinced Joey C isn’t a better option. Obviously he WAS a better shooter
Fixed that for you. Joey got the bball equivalent of coal in his stocking for Christmas. We've played 7 games since Christmas, and he's scored 15 points. That's 2.14 ppg. He's made 5 of 29 field goals in that stretch, and has not made or even attempted a FT since Christmas, either.

I know it's just a coincidence that we've gone from unbeaten before Christmas to 5 losses in 7 games since then, at the same time that his shooting has gone from astoundingly good to amazingly bad. But I don't see the point in suggesting that we make him the point guard based on what he used to do.

Reaction Score
We must be watching 2 different Alleynes
The guy had a three year ACC MPG ave. of app 29 minutes/game. His UConn MPG is about 18 minutes.. Last five games about 10/game.. He has one of the lowest TO/minutes of any of our guards. Plays solid D..81% FT shooter.

If you don't need that talent on the floor to rest the starters as you head into the remainder of the BE schedule/BET/Tournament.. Don't play him.. But don't complain in the press about "losing guys" or them not being team-oriented.

He is not the answer to our problems.. But he could be part of the solution.

Reaction Score
The guy had a three year ACC MPG ave. of app 29 minutes/game. His UConn MPG is about 18 minutes.. Last five games about 10/game.. He has one of the lowest TO/minutes of any of our guards. Plays solid D..81% FT shooter.

If you don't need that talent on the floor to rest the starters as you head into the remainder of the BE schedule/BET/Tournament.. Don't play him.. But don't complain in the press about "losing guys" or them not being team-oriented.

He is not the answer to our problems.. But he could be part of the solution.
Yeah but the point is you said he's getting benched even when he's performing. In that 5 game sample you mention he's scored 3 points. Not per game, total. He's been a total non factor and can't hit the broad side of a barn from 3 right now.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Can Joey C start at PG for us? Everyone is saying Diarra should start over Newton but I’m not convinced Joey C isn’t a better option. Obviously he is a better shooter and has shown an ability to get to the rim and either finish or find the open guy. Y’all will say defense but NO ONE is playing any sort of defense. Joey has good length and a knack for deflections. Just think it may work?

Only if Clingan is starting too.

Reaction Score
Yeah but the point is you said he's getting benched even when he's performing. In that 5 game sample you mention he's scored 3 points. Not per game, total. He's been a total non factor and can't hit the broad side of a barn from 3 right now.
If you limit the definition of "performing" to only made shots.. You are correct.. If you consider other parts of a BB players responsibilities.. I would suggest that he is not being out-performed by the other portal alternatives for PT.. Excepting Newton.. How are Joey's/Diarra's shooting numbers the last five games??

As an example.. I would think that limiting/controlling TOs might be something to consider in our recent losses.

Look.. We need the portal guys to perform if we're going to get anywhere. Less worried about the Big Three/DC-AK

Reaction Score
It seems pretty apparent to me that our ballhandlers are being asked to do stuff that isn't really their bread and butter.

All of our guards waste time outside the arc because our offense is set up to prioritize getting post position for Sanogo/Clingan and finding him early. Our guards haven't been great, but we definitely make their jobs harder by running so many sets where our bigs are options A and B and option C is a kick out for a 3. Newton, Jackson, and Diarra have never been 3 point shooters and it makes sense that they've been struggling given the situations that they often get the ball in. I've said it on this board before, but running more pick and roll will make life a lot easier for all our ballhandlers, and Newton especially since he used it a lot more frequently at ECU.

Reaction Score
If you limit the definition as performing to only made shots.. You are correct.. If you consider other parts of a BB players responsibilities.. I would suggest that he is not being out-performed by the other portal alternatives for PT.. Excepting Newton.. How are Joey's/Diarra's shooting numbers the last five games??

As an example.. I would think that limiting/controlling TOs might be something to consider in our recent losses.

Look.. We need the portal guys to perform if we're going to get anywhere. Less worried about the Big Three/DC-AK
Then you would be wrong. He's not competing for minutes with most of the other portal guys so that comparison isn't relevant. Newton and Diarra are getting almost all their minutes at PG outside of a few minutes they've played together.

Alleyene is shooting 7% the last 5 games, Diarra is shooting 20% and Calcaterra 16%. Even turnovers there's not a huge difference, Alleyene has 1 in 53 minutes and Calcaterra 2 in 59 minutes

Which isn't to say he needs to not play, but to say he's been benched when playing well is just not rooted in reality. Hopefully he turns it around because we can use another guy on the wing to start making 3's

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Then you would be wrong. He's not competing for minutes with most of the other portal guys so that comparison isn't relevant. Newton and Diarra are getting almost all their minutes at PG outside of a few minutes they've played together.

Alleyene is shooting 7% the last 5 games, Diarra is shooting 20% and Calcaterra 16%. Even turnovers there's not a huge difference, Alleyene has 1 in 53 minutes and Calcaterra 2 in 59 minutes

Which isn't to say he needs to not play, but to say he's been benched when playing well is just not rooted in reality. Hopefully he turns it around because we can use another guy on the wing to start making 3's
If he's not competing for minutes with portal guys..Who is he competing with? Jackson/Hawkins/Karaban/Sanogo/Clingan?? Don't think so.

Guys have to know/play their roles.. The coach thinks the other guys are playing their roles better.. End of story.. All that matters. But Yarders throwing Alleyne under the bus-- when compared to the other portal guys recent productivity-- is a little unfair .

I hope the coaching staff (and them) figure it out starting with Butler.. We need them.

Reaction Score
If he's not competing for minutes with portal guys..Who is he competing with? Jackson/Hawkins/Karaban/Sanogo/Clingan?? Don't think so.

Guys have to know/play their roles.. The coach thinks the other guys are playing their roles better.. End of story.. All that matters. But Yarders throwing Alleyne under the bus-- when compared to the other portal guys recent productivity-- is a little unfair .

I hope the coaching staff (and them) figure it out starting with Butler.. We need them.
Yes, he's competing for minutes on the wing with Jackson, Karaban, Hawkins more than guard minutes. The most common lineups have all been with 2 other guards on the court

6707FD4C-70C9-4037-A2CD-6A180C0CF637.jpeg

Orc

Reaction Score
I thought Ill never see a worst shooter the likes of Taliek brown in uconn uniform again. We have 2 taliek brown lite on the team this year. Yikes

Reaction Score
No doubt he is a solid defender no doubt although it seems he's not as focused there as of late. The quick rope adds frustration on both ends for a player.

Reaction Score
I thought Ill never see a worst shooter the likes of Taliek brown in uconn uniform again. We have 2 taliek brown lite on the team this year. Yikes
But Taliek was great- repeat great- with his defense, his skill as a point guard directing the team, getting inside and past the zone or outer defenders and dishing off, wonderful positive energy, making layups, everything else.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Need to plant inception on Newton every night and show him highlights of guards driving the ball…he can do it, but only chooses to do it 2-3 times a game. It’s a mystery as to why he doesn’t do it more
discussed long ago.

danny has managed to suck the soul out of tris' game.
he brought him here to be dynamic, then forbid him to be.

nutz.

Reaction Score
Fixed that for you. Joey got the bball equivalent of coal in his stocking for Christmas. We've played 7 games since Christmas, and he's scored 15 points. That's 2.14 ppg. He's made 5 of 29 field goals in that stretch, and has not made or even attempted a FT since Christmas, either.

I know it's just a coincidence that we've gone from unbeaten before Christmas to 5 losses in 7 games since then, at the same time that his shooting has gone from astoundingly good to amazingly bad. But I don't see the point in suggesting that we make him the point guard based on what he used to do.
That’s because you have a model of PG that this team really doesn’t need.
He needs to be smart , a leader , cool under pressure, and be able to the deliver the ball to players in the most advantageous position . It also helps if they have to respect his shot
I believe Newton or Jackson could do it but Newtown doesn’t seem to want to lead and Jackson doesn’t have confidence in his gifts .

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom