For those calling for Ollies head | Page 3 | The Boneyard

For those calling for Ollies head

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It does. When you bring kids in on recruiting trips and they look up at player/championship banners it excites them. Don't get me wrong we aren't going to win over recruits vs. Kentucky, Duke, Kansas etc. But the name still means something.

I agree, the UConn name will get a couple of recruits who might have gone to a mid-level ACC school, but the ACC is an anchor. And with the team's performance over the past couple of years, jumping to a power conference is no where in the cards.

As for KO, I would love to see a game where we ran a couple of basic plays. The bring-it-down-make-one-pass-hoist-a-three offense is just ugly and unwatchable.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
I'm just afraid our key players are very injury prone. Every game it seems terry limps at some point or AG comes out of the game due to hitting some part of his shoulder. I'm holding my breath every game hoping they don't get injured again. One has got to assume that may be playing into how hard they play and how effective they are. I feel bad for them really.

Reaction Score
Is there a bigger name in this conference than UConn? No. Cinci fans might argue based on what the Big O did there 60 years ago, but even with him, they can't match our resume due to the 4X national championships.

Why do people believe that we can't do better than Kevin Ollie in the AAC when lesser programs in the AAC have made better hires than Ollie?

Calhoun played his hand so that we had to hire Ollie. If Ollie doesn't turn things around quickly, Calhoun can hire him again at St. Joseph's.

Reaction Score
Is there a bigger name in this conference than UConn? No. Cinci fans might argue based on what the Big O did there 60 years ago, but even with him, they can't match our resume due to the 4X national championships.

Why do people believe that we can't do better than Kevin Ollie in the AAC when lesser programs in the AAC have made better hires than Ollie?

Calhoun played his hand so that we had to hire Ollie. If Ollie doesn't turn things around quickly, Calhoun can hire him again at St. Joseph's.

That's a pretty funny potential hiring LOL

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
This is the hill you've climbed: URI could hire a coach as good as Danny Hurley, but UConn can not.

That is a dumb hill to die upon, son.

URI can afford to take chances on NEC coaches (particularly, ones whose bloodlines rendered them huge outliers) and hope they catch lightning in a bottle. We can't.

Reaction Score
Hurley will be in the ACC or B1G next year. Forget about the past; whose futures look brighter?
Hurley is a guy that could have had a college job for a decade or more, but stayed in HS. You don't know where he'll end up next year.

And the point is, while you continue to argue that our name doesn't hold as much weight, if you're comparing us to URI and similar programs, our ceiling is still much higher than theirs.

Reaction Score
URI can afford to take chances on NEC coaches (particularly, ones whose bloodlines rendered them huge outliers) and hope they catch lightning in a bottle. We can't.

This is why David Benedict gets paid $$$. It will be up to him to identify and find the right guy if Ollie doesn't get it together.

Reaction Score
It's amazing how many programs in the AAC are able to find better coaches than UConn has, considering none of us should be considered any better of a program than URI.

URI can afford to go 16-17, no better than 5th in the conference, and miss NCAA/NIT tournament play. We can't.

Your suggestion is literally to be prepared to suck for a long time because we're in the AAC and therefore can't get coaches at least as good as lesser programs ALSO in the AAC. It's not only unnecessarily pessimistic, it's irrational.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Did it? They should be getting the death penalty for what went down there.
But they won't, and they'll keep getting $40m checks from the ACC. And they won an NCAA title, even if it is now revoked.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Good thing we're not listing off NEC coaches here, then.

Did you hit your head real hard this offseason?

Reaction Score
Hurley would absolutely kill it here. However much the brand has diminished, it is still strong and is a helluva lot better than any other AAC school. We already recruit better than any other AAC school. A good coach should have a clear path to winning pretty big here. Is it really a better situation to go into a P5 job like Arizona State like his brother did? Hurley is going to be a hot commodity but its not like he is going to be looking at top P5 jobs.

Reaction Score
Where exactly do you see him going? I don't see any spots opening up for him
He's doing his usual routine. Instead of explaining why we can't find coaches that can compete with other AAC coaches, he deflects and says we won't be preferred over P5 schools. It doesn't have to be Hurley, it could be anyone, and he'll make an excuse.

We don't have to hire better coaches than P5 schools. We have to hire better coaches than AAC schools. There's no reason why that should be considered unrealistic at UConn.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Good thing we're not listing off NEC coaches here, then.

Did you hit your head real hard this offseason?

My point is, UConn and URI have a vastly different hiring pool. The fact that URI ended up hiring someone who is probably out of our league at this point is meaningless - they struck lightning in a bottle.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
The fact that URI ended up hiring someone who is probably out of our league at this point...
Sigh. There is literally no reason to think this, and I don't believe for a second that you have inside information.

Up your meds and have a nice day.

If UConn were to jump into the market for a new coach, they’d have excellent candidates to choose from. The people who are saying otherwise are the same ones who insisted all was well last year.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
He's doing his usual routine. Instead of explaining why we can't find coaches that can compete with other AAC coaches, he deflects and says we won't be preferred over P5 schools. It doesn't have to be Hurley, it could be anyone, and he'll make an excuse.

We don't have to hire better coaches than P5 schools. We have to hire better coaches than AAC schools. There's no reason why that should be considered unrealistic at UConn.

You're missing the point. The overlap between coaches who are better than the AAC's current coaches and those who will want to come here is not what some think it is.

We would hypothetically be competing against P5 schools for the best coaches on the market. I happen to think there are clear reasons why a basketball coach whose livelihood depends on his success might prefer taking a job there instead of here. But I seem to be quite alone in thinking that.

Last edited:

Matrim55

Reaction Score
You're missing the point. The overlap between coaches who are better than the AAC's current coaches and those who will want to come here is not what some think it is.
Proof by assertion, argument of repetition, appeal to fear, etc etc etc.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Proof by assertion, argument of repetition, appeal to fear, etc etc etc.

Proof by assertion - the Fishy post you just quoted is an example of the same thing, it just happens to line up with your own biases.

Appeal to fear - yeah, I'm afraid that any potential replacement coach will be a dud relative to expectations. Please point out where I'm using that as a reason to keep KO aboard. That's the only context in which it would be considered fallacious.

Bottom line, your or anyone else's hunches are no better than mine. What has been demonstrated is that the "blue glasses" effect is in full force. It'll take much more than a message board moderator to convince me that perception is not a significant problem in looking for a potential new head coach.

Reaction Score
Proof by assertion - the Fishy post you just quoted is an example of the same thing, it just happens to line up with your own biases.

Appeal to fear - yeah, I'm afraid that any potential replacement coach will be a dud relative to expectations. Please point out where I'm using that as a reason to keep KO aboard. That's the only context in which it would be considered fallacious.

Bottom line, your or anyone else's hunches are no better than mine. What has been demonstrated is that the "blue glasses" effect is in full force. It'll take much more than a message board moderator to convince me that perception is not a significant problem in looking for a potential new head coach.
We need a Kevin Sumlin. A good dude who will leave the place better than he found it and set it up for his successor.

Reaction Score

We would hypothetically be competing against P5 schools for the best coaches on the market. I happen to think there are clear reasons why a basketball coach whose livelihood depends on his success might prefer taking a job there instead of here. But I seem to be quite alone in thinking that.

I'm not missing the point. Your'e just wrong. Your perception that UConn is not the job it used to be is largely valid. Your argument that UConn doesn't have the same pull as URI is stupid.

Maybe Hurley leaves for the ACC/B1G, maybe he comes to UConn for a few years and then leaves for the ACC/B1G.

The overlap between coaches who are better than Kevin Ollie, and coaches that would come to UConn is far larger than you want to admit. If other programs in the AAC can find coaches to win the conference, we can too. It's moronic to suggest otherwise.

Reaction Score
Dan Hurley. But there’s no chance he leaves URI for us right now.
Like you said, Dan Hurley will not come to UCONN. I am still waiting to hear who is UCONN going hire to replace Ollie that will want to stay at UCONN in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom