Football Options | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Football Options

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
We're counting UMASS as one game every year but one has to wonder how much longer they stay at FBS level. That home schedule is putrid. Why bother?

No idea if this is even feasible but the UConn Blog put together this schedule based on openings/availabilities.

What UConn Football’s Schedule Could Look Like in 2020 as Independent

TeamDateLocation
UMassSeptember 3Rentschler Field
IllinoisSeptember 12Champaign, IL
MaineSeptember 19Rentschler Field
IndianaSeptember 26Rentschler Field
TCUOctober 3Fort Worth, TX
UABOctober 17Rentschler Field
Louisiana TechOctober 24Ruston, LA
ArmyOctober 31West Point, NY
UL MonroeNovember 7Rentschler Field
Southern MissNovember 14Hattiesburg, MS
Virginia TechNovember 21Blacksburg, VA
Florida InternationalNovember 28Rentschler Field

Now, obviously TCU and VT wouldn't be making return dates to The Rent, but I'd sign up for that in a heartbeat.

Reaction Score
No idea if this is even feasible but the UConn Blog put together this schedule based on openings/availabilities.

What UConn Football’s Schedule Could Look Like in 2020 as Independent

TeamDateLocation
UMassSeptember 3Rentschler Field
IllinoisSeptember 12Champaign, IL
MaineSeptember 19Rentschler Field
IndianaSeptember 26Rentschler Field
TCUOctober 3Fort Worth, TX
UABOctober 17Rentschler Field
Louisiana TechOctober 24Ruston, LA
ArmyOctober 31West Point, NY
UL MonroeNovember 7Rentschler Field
Southern MissNovember 14Hattiesburg, MS
Virginia TechNovember 21Blacksburg, VA
Florida InternationalNovember 28Rentschler Field

Now, obviously TCU and VT wouldn't be making return dates to The Rent, but I'd sign up for that in a heartbeat.
I could see us getting a 2-for-1 with TCU. They have a ton of open dates in the coming years and there's the Fox element. I also think it's more likely we end up with a second local FCS team rather than a final Sun Belt/C-USA team but either works for me just fine. Getting LA Tech at the Rent would be cool. Bring back Bobby.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think independence can work. Of the independent schools, we have the best brand aside from BYU. We also have basketball and women’s basketball to offer in trade. That can earn us some home and homes. I expect Fox to try to help us here, and push some of their schools to schedule us. A formal scheduling deal with the B1G would be ideal, say 3 games a year. Then play a payday game like our Clemson game once a year.

Tulsa just signed an 8 year home and home with Ok State. We need to do that with Penn State and include basketball. Rutgers too. Indiana. Kansas. There are schools that will play us, especially if we become competitive. Winning as an independent is sexier than winning in a meh conference. Not saying the American was meh. Benedict is going to have to be aggressive, but this can work. It’s a bridge to whatever comes next, but losing in the AAC wasn’t helping our brand. Going 6-5 Indy looks better.

Reaction Score
Are there enough regional teams that would join to start like a 8 team Big East branded football conference?

Umass, Liberty, Army, maybe Georgetown and Nova can go fbs?
If you need eight teams -- to be like Ivy League -- UConn, Buffalo, Army, Navy, Villanova, Gtown, UMass and if they improve their program maybe William & Mary. Far from perfect

Reaction Score
I would much rather be independent than join another conference. The B1G is not going to recognize us as a P5 scheduling opponent in CUSA or the MAC. If we can turn the ship around as an independent, we can be a Notre Dame lite. This is a better back door to the P5 club than the AAC imo. If the fans don't believe we can be a Notre Dame lite, why are we complaining about being left out of the P5?

Look at the quality of our football conference mates as an independent. They are all national brand, state flagship universities with high caliber academics. Okay, so its a football conference of one, but it is a P5 quality football conference (albeit with football down at the moment), not a P6, P7 or P8.

Reaction Score
And lets let Benedict earn his money and worry about FB scheduling. I have confidence that he will get a better schedule for us than some of the worst case examples I am seeing on this board.

Reaction Score
Uconn will not be able to play in Bowl games without a conference unless they can get a Bowl to do an independent tie in for them.

Reaction Score
If you need eight teams -- to be like Ivy League -- UConn, Buffalo, Army, Navy, Villanova, Gtown, UMass and if they improve their program maybe William & Mary. Far from perfect
The following schools could be interested in joining a league in the next few years:

UConn
UMASS
Temple
Army
Buffalo
Cincinnati
Navy
Marshall
Liberty
Old Dominion
East Carolina
Coastal Carolina

Reaction Score

Between Edsall's gif and the new locker rooms and commits, you would think they have some actual plan here.

Let’s hope those are indications that a plan is in place. At the very least, there are no current plans to kill football or to let it die.

Reaction Score
Our football program could play in the Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MSCAC) with Bridgewater State, Fitchburg State, Westfield State, etc. They would struggle for a couple years but they’d be the kings of that conference in three years.
You're lucky people here didn't take your UConn to D3 post seriously.

Reaction Score
C'mon people, are we a P5 level school or are we the dregs of the G5???? We will get opponents and I bet even a bowl tie in or two. If we ever get in the playoff conversation, it will mean we have gone undefeated/top 5 for multiple years. We will get a P5 invite before that happens. Maybe we take it or maybe we just decide to roll with it like Notre Dame.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
C'mon people, are we a P5 level school or are we the dregs of the G5???? We will get opponents and I bet even a bowl tie in or two. If we ever get in the playoff conversation, it will mean we have gone undefeated/top 5 for multiple years. We will get a P5 invite before that happens. Maybe we take it or maybe we just decide to roll with it like Notre Dame.

giphy.gif

Reaction Score
And then you woke up...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Uconn will not be able to play in Bowl games without a conference unless they can get a Bowl to do an independent tie in for them.

In recent years they let sub .500 teams play because there were not enough bowl eligible teams. Win and that won’t be a problem.

Reaction Score
Can Indiana, Illinois, Clemson, etc. walk away from these games if and when we leave the AAC?

Reaction Score
They're aren't entirely killing football, one way or another. So until we know what is happening with football, we can't entirely assess this move.

1) Complete Kill --> already been said not an option.
2) Back to FCS --> highly unlikely
3) Independent --> we've kicked this around, and if this is the case we're in trouble football-wise
4) MAC --> if they let us in, I guess that can work, though they'd have to take another team (UMass?) to make it even. Not a great crop of opponents, but more winnable games and less travel. Pretty much the same history as with AAC. Maybe they can get wins and turn this around.
5) AAC --> has been nixed. UConn basketball is valuable enough, though, that I wonder if we couldn't negotiate playing some of these teams in basketball a certain number of games a year (4?) in an effort to stay in the league? Probably not an option, but just kicking it around. Obviously a very good football conference and the best of the option on the table. Would also mean they could just target a basketball only.

Where do we land?

Completely kill is “not an option”, but it is where things will end up. It’s the only logical conclusion, as the program will lose more money than it does currently once we exercise any of the other so-called options.

pj

Reaction Score
The AAC is delusional, not UConn.

The AAC thinks BYU might join on the same terms as other schools? The new media deal will cut their revenue by a factor of 3 and decrease visibility, and the extra travel will increase expenses. They they will have to pay $10 million and give 27 months notice to leave. No way BYU would consent to that. "They had too many demands and wanted to be treated differently on TV rights than other members” -- yeah, guess what, you've lost both UConn and BYU by not giving that deal.

Army would be a coup for the AAC, we'll see if they can get it. "It’s quite possible neither school wants to join" -- Army previously decided that competing in a major conference is incompatible with its military mission.

Beyond Army, every alternative is inferior to UConn. If the AAC is smart, if they fail to get Army they should come beg for UConn as football only.

Reaction Score
The AAC is delusional, not UConn.

The AAC thinks BYU might join on the same terms as other schools? The new media deal will cut their revenue by a factor of 3 and decrease visibility, and the extra travel will increase expenses. They they will have to pay $10 million and give 27 months notice to leave. No way BYU would consent to that. "They had too many demands and wanted to be treated differently on TV rights than other members” -- yeah, guess what, you've lost both UConn and BYU by not giving that deal.

Army would be a coup for the AAC, we'll see if they can get it. "It’s quite possible neither school wants to join" -- Army previously decided that competing in a major conference is incompatible with its military mission.

Beyond Army, every alternative is inferior to UConn. If the AAC is smart, if they fail to get Army they should come beg for UConn as football only.
They'll just stay with 11 when they can't get Army/Boise/BYU

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom