Football Options | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Football Options

Reaction Score
I seen this posted elsewhere but now we are independent we could try save a bunch of money and have bus rides to games and a more desirable schedule. We may have to play the allowable 2 games against 1AA opponents.

1 URI/Maine/UNH 1AA
2 Villanova.....a strong 1AA opponent and a basketball conference member
3 UMASS This game will be easy to schedule as they are independent
4 Army this game will be easy to schedule as they are independent
5 Buffalo
6 Boston College
7 Syracuse
8 Rutgers
9 Temple
10 Pitt
11 Penn state...... probably need to give them a basketball game
12 West Virginia,Virginia tech,Maryland

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I seen this posted elsewhere but now we are independent we could try save a bunch of money and have bus rides to games and a more desirable schedule. We may have to play the allowable 2 games against 1AA opponents.

1 URI/Maine/UNH 1AA
5 Buffalo
6 Boston College
7 Syracuse
8 Rutgers
9 Temple
10 Pitt
11 Penn state. probably need to give them a basketball game

85% of this is not a reasonable expectation. Learn to accept New Mexico State and Liberty.

Reaction Score
could also depend on who the AAC replaces us with. if they poach a school from CUSA or the MAC then uconn football could fill the void left in that conference.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

1 URI/Maine/UNH 1AA
5 Buffalo
6 Boston College
7 Syracuse
8 Rutgers
9 Temple
10 Pitt

Won't get those every year. 2 FCS, sure. UMass, sure. Army, not every year as better programs want to play them every year, every other year at best. The next 6 you'd be lucky to get 2 per year. Penn State, never they are booked until 2024. The others you'd be lucky to get 1 per year.

That averages to 6.5 games or just over half the schedule. If you could fill the rest with AAC/MAC/Sunbelt teams (that's still 2 of each every year) you'd have a schedule that isn't far off an AAC level SOS.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

1 URI/Maine/UNH 1AA
5 Buffalo
6 Boston College
7 Syracuse
8 Rutgers
9 Temple
10 Pitt

You could conceivably get a Penn State or Pitt or WVU on the schedule, but don't expect a home and home. PSU's only non-P5 home and home series between 2015-2025 is with Temple. OTOH, WVU and Pitt may like having an old rival on their skeds... but again, might be 2-for-1s with both. Unless you throw in a home game for them with the women's team...

Reaction Score
They're aren't entirely killing football, one way or another. So until we know what is happening with football, we can't entirely assess this move.

1) Complete Kill --> already been said not an option.
2) Back to FCS --> highly unlikely
3) Independent --> we've kicked this around, and if this is the case we're in trouble football-wise
4) MAC --> if they let us in, I guess that can work, though they'd have to take another team (UMass?) to make it even. Not a great crop of opponents, but more winnable games and less travel. Pretty much the same history as with AAC. Maybe they can get wins and turn this around.
5) AAC --> has been nixed. UConn basketball is valuable enough, though, that I wonder if we couldn't negotiate playing some of these teams in basketball a certain number of games a year (4?) in an effort to stay in the league? Probably not an option, but just kicking it around. Obviously a very good football conference and the best of the option on the table. Would also mean they could just target a basketball only.

Where do we land?
Kill it like the bug that it is

Reaction Score
You could conceivably get a Penn State or Pitt or WVU on the schedule, but don't expect a home and home. PSU's only non-P5 home and home series between 2015-2025 is with Temple. OTOH, WVU and Pitt may like having an old rival on their skeds... but again, might be 2-for-1s with both. Unless you throw in a home game for them with the women's team...

Never understood why 2 for 1’s get such a bad rap.

Certainly better than being buy games for schools like Clemson.

I reckon we can build a halfway decent schedule with 2 for 1 deals.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Take a look at UMass football 2022 schedule. Four home games. Four. New Mexico State, Buffalo, Liberty and Army. I'd really like to think we'd fall somewhere in between BYU and UMass, but it ain't pretty anyway you slice it.

09/03 - at Tulane
09/10 - at Toledo
09/17 - at Boston College
09/24 - at Temple
10/01 - at Eastern Michigan
10/08 - New Mexico State
10/15 - Buffalo
10/22 - at USF
10/29 - Liberty
11/12 - Army

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Take a look at UMass football 2022 schedule. Four home games. Four. New Mexico State, Buffalo, Liberty and Army. I'd really like to think we'd fall somewhere in between BYU and UMass, but it ain't pretty anyway you slice it.

09/03 - at Tulane
09/10 - at Toledo
09/24 - at Temple
10/08 - New Mexico State
10/15 - Buffalo
10/22 - at USF
10/29 - Liberty
11/12 - Army

Yep need to get 6 home games. Flip any two road games to home and that schedule is fine.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Yep need to get 6 home games. Flip any two road games to home and that schedule is fine.

I suppose. Excitement wise, for me at least, it's not much different that the American.

What it really comes down to I guess is it just depends on what you would consider success will be defined for as a FBS Independent. Simply existing and having a team, 8 wins, minor bowl tie-in, 20,000 in the stands most nights? Occasionally a BC, Rutgers, Pitt, Cuse coming to The Rent?

The goal was obvious in early 00s through CR, compete in the Big East with the Auto-BCS tie-in (which we did more often than not). The American, try and compete for the G5 Access Bid (never was going to happen). FBS Independent, compete for...?

Reaction Score

09/03 - at Tulane
09/10 - at Toledo
09/24 - at Temple
10/08 - New Mexico State
10/15 - Buffalo
10/22 - at USF
10/29 - Liberty
11/12 - Army

Gotta hope we have something up our sleeve to help out. Basketball scheduling trade offs? Fox?

My ideal type of football schedule under these less than ideal circumstances.

3 home/home's with the other Indies- BYU, Army, UMass

2 get slaughtered payouts on the road- Clemson, another big name

2 home games against teams that could give us some wins that we play now- IE. Stony Brook, Wagner, Villanova, URI etc

That's 7 and not too bad. It;s doable. How we fill out the other 5 is where it could get away from us. In reality you'd love to fill it out about 2-4 home and homes with mid to lower level Power 5 like we have now- Illinois, Indiana, Duke, etc. Maybe a neutral site Fenway/Yankee Stadium game vs BC/Notre Dame. A MAC school too.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I suppose. Excitement wise, for me at least, it's not much different that the American.

What it really comes down to I guess is it just depends on what you would consider success will be defined for as a FBS Independent. Simply existing and having a team, 8 wins, minor bowl tie-in, 20,000 in the stands most nights? Occasionally a BC, Rutgers, Pitt, Cuse coming to The Rent?

The goal was obvious in early 00s through CR, compete in the Big East with the Auto-BCS tie-in (which we did more often than not). The American, try and compete for the G5 Access Bid (never was going to happen). FBS Independent, compete for...?

It’s funny that people blame Edsall.

UConn football died with the BCS.

The auto-bid was the deliniation between legit and poser.

But some coach who was 74-73 left for 8 figgies elsewhere. He was the problem lol.

Reaction Score
The move wouldn't bother me if they hadn't spent millions on football over the past several years. Someone really thought this out.
They can go to P 5 schools and get lambasted for a big payday. Then play schools like UMass at home in front of 3419 fans. Maybe they can play at Keeney Park.

Reaction Score

09/03 - at Tulane
09/10 - at Toledo
09/24 - at Temple
10/08 - New Mexico State
10/15 - Buffalo
10/22 - at USF
10/29 - Liberty
11/12 - Army

We're counting UMASS as one game every year but one has to wonder how much longer they stay at FBS level. That home schedule is putrid. Why bother?

Reaction Score
So for 2020 we have:
UMass
@Illinois
Indiana
Maine
Home FCS buy game
Could reasonably add Army who has two remaining slots

Then we have to find 6 games.
TCU is the only "Fox-affiliated" school with OOC slots, hopefully they can pull some strings (maybe 2-for-1?)
VA Tech/Miami/FSU/Arkansas away, perhaps a pay game for us
Whatever is left we'll have to get from Air Force/UCF/SMU and some Sun Belt/MAC/C-USA teams.

I think we can do it, even getting 6 home games. Though everything will change if there are other conference moves so maybe thinking about it now is pointless ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The move wouldn't bother me if they hadn't spent millions on football over the past several years. Someone really thought this out.
They can go to P 5 schools and get lambasted for a big payday. Then play schools like UMass at home in front of 3419 fans. Maybe they can play at Keeney Park.

Playing in the AAC wasn't getting crowds.

UConn Football’s True Attendance Hits New Low

UConn’s low attendances could get the school in hot water with the NCAA. According to NCAA Bylaw 20.9.9.2, FBS schools must “Average at least 15,000 in actual or paid attendance for all home football contests over a rolling two-year period.” Actual attendance is defined as scanned attendance; the number of people who enter the game with a ticket.

Paid attendance is a little more complex. In order for tickets to be counted as paid attendance, they must be sold for one-third of the price established at the start of the season or if a ticket sold for less than the one-third threshold is used to attend the game. People working at the game, such as vendors, security, etc., are not counted for paid attendance nor are players, coaches or cheerleaders.

Reaction Score
So for 2020 we have:
UMass
@Illinois
Indiana
Maine
Home FCS buy game
Could reasonably add Army who has two remaining slots

Then we have to find 6 games.
TCU is the only "Fox-affiliated" school with OOC slots, hopefully they can pull some strings (maybe 2-for-1?)
VA Tech/Miami/FSU/Arkansas away, perhaps a pay game for us
Whatever is left we'll have to get from Air Force/UCF/SMU and some Sun Belt/MAC/C-USA teams.

I think we can do it, even getting 6 home games. Though everything will change if there are other conference moves so maybe thinking about it now is pointless ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Air Force would be a nice pickup.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom