Football Options | The Boneyard

Football Options

Reaction Score
They're aren't entirely killing football, one way or another. So until we know what is happening with football, we can't entirely assess this move.

1) Complete Kill --> already been said not an option.
2) Back to FCS --> highly unlikely
3) Independent --> we've kicked this around, and if this is the case we're in trouble football-wise
4) MAC --> if they let us in, I guess that can work, though they'd have to take another team (UMass?) to make it even. Not a great crop of opponents, but more winnable games and less travel. Pretty much the same history as with AAC. Maybe they can get wins and turn this around.
5) AAC --> has been nixed. UConn basketball is valuable enough, though, that I wonder if we couldn't negotiate playing some of these teams in basketball a certain number of games a year (4?) in an effort to stay in the league? Probably not an option, but just kicking it around. Obviously a very good football conference and the best of the option on the table. Would also mean they could just target a basketball only.

Where do we land?

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Not sure, my guess is independent for the time being with playing other independents and filling in with G-5 and a couple BCS schools. No matter how you look at it, it's not good for football, period.
Short sighted by the fact that the AAC screwed the Women's team with SNY but that's a million dollars and if that's the reason I will be pissed, to say the least.

unhappy Season ticket holder

Reaction Score
We are going to be Independent. We already have 10 of 36 games scheduled for 2020-2022. We can play 2 FCS teams a year. There are 6 other Independent teams, we can count on for 2-3 games a season. There's 10 conferences, although I doubt you see the AAC scheduling UConn. The Big Ten gave UConn the preferential scheduling status. We can make this work.

TJT

Reaction Score
Independent seems most likely. It will be a slow death by a thousand cuts. For a view of the future, look a little further north to UMass. It is not a pretty picture. Attendance and fan interest will dwindle even more. This move will pretty much guarantee UConn a yearly finish at the bottom of FBS. Football will become even less attractive to a P5 league. The move to the Big East may be good for other sports but not football. It pretty much forever kills UConn being in a P5 league and basically confirms that the people in Storrs felt it was probably never going to happen even by staying in the AAC.

Reaction Score
Independent seems most likely. It will be a slow death by a thousand cuts. For a view of the future, look a little further north to UMass. It is not a pretty picture. Attendance and fan interest will dwindle even more. This move will pretty much guarantee UConn a yearly finish at the bottom of FBS. Football will become even less attractive to a P5 league. The move to the Big East may be good for other sports but not football. It pretty much forever kills UConn being in a P5 league and basically confirms that the people in Storrs felt it was probably never going to happen even by staying in the AAC.

Instead of 500 UConn fans going to home games we will have 350?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
It pretty much forever kills UConn being in a P5 league and basically confirms that the people in Storrs felt it was probably never going to happen even by staying in the AAC.

And I think that's all the rationale needed. It's become fairly obvious that there was no path to B1G and increasingly no path to ACC once Louisville made academics a moot point. Other teams in AAC have far surpassed UConn in desirability. Also wouldn't be surprised to see WVU in ACC after current B12 deal ends.

We had our window a few years ago and basically effed up on every angle.

Reaction Score
UConn has three options - two of which lead to certain death and one of which is pointless.

1. Shut down football. Certain death.

2. Independence. Certain death. It would mean wallowing in perpetual darkness at the bottom of FBS with no prospect of improvement or growth. It would last only until people get tired of spending the money. Plus, the NBE doesn't want UConn in FBS. Non starter.

3. Drop to FCS. Why? Why spend the money when UConn is ensconced in a basketball exclusive conference? What benefit would UConn obtain from FCS football?

Don't kid yourself about what UConn has done. It has deliberately chosen to walk away from football. The option chosen is 1. They just don't want to admit it yet.

Reaction Score
UConn has three options - two of which lead to certain death and one of which is pointless.

1. Shut down football. Certain death.

2. Independence. Certain death. It would mean wallowing in perpetual darkness at the bottom of FBS with no prospect of improvement or growth. It would last only until people get tired of spending the money. Plus, the NBE doesn't want UConn in FBS. Non starter.

3. Drop to FCS. Why? Why spend the money when UConn is ensconced in a basketball exclusive conference? What benefit would UConn obtain from FCS football?

Don't kid yourself about what UConn has done. It has deliberately chosen to walk away from football. The option chosen is 1. They just don't want to admit it yet.
That was readily apparent when they re-signed Edsall

Reaction Score
I think we thrive as an Independent.

We could crush it if we adopted a gimmick offense like the triple option or just balls to the wall offense laterals fakes.

I'm 100% serious. This is entertainment. We need a gimmick.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Are there enough regional teams that would join to start like a 8 team Big East branded football conference?

Umass, Liberty, Army, maybe Georgetown and Nova can go fbs?

Reaction Score
"I brought you into FBS football, I'm sure I can bring you out of it."

Admittedly I have been sour due to the embarrassment (and death UCONN athletics) that is the move to the BE.

But this made me laugh a lot. Thank you.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Are there enough regional teams that would join to start like a 8 team Big East branded football conference?

Umass, Liberty, Army, maybe Georgetown and Nova can go fbs?
No but you'll almost definitely see UMass Liberty Army and New Mexico State as default "conference" opponents on an annual basis beginning in 2-3 years given they all need 12 games annually too.

BYU came here on a H/H when we were in the AAC. I could see them doing that again- they signed a 4 game deal with UMass 2 in Provo 2 in MA. If they want to play an east coast game every year they can alternate UConn and UMass.

ND probably will never play us again given the history and their quasi ACC association.

The FCS games will be a rotation of local schools like Villanova, Rhode Island, etc.

Now that were Independent, I'd love us to play Yale a few times. I don't think a win vs them counts towards bowl eligibility for us but given that we don't have any bowl tie-ins anymore that doesn't matter anyways.

I'd love it if they could convince Delaware or URI any of the other teams to upgrade but thats got a 0.0001% chance of happening.

pj

Reaction Score
Seems there are probably two options:
- Indy. The fallback, a transitional place until we find a landing spot.
- The AAC as a football only. They will need to do football only to get a good member and best options may be UConn, Army, BYU, Air Force. Not sure the others would accept. UConn brings good markets, it would make sense to bring UConn back, though they can't say that until UConn is out because the shift from all sports to football only obviously leaves the AAC worse off.

Reaction Score
They're aren't entirely killing football, one way or another. So until we know what is happening with football, we can't entirely assess this move.

1) Complete Kill --> already been said not an option.
2) Back to FCS --> highly unlikely
3) Independent --> we've kicked this around, and if this is the case we're in trouble football-wise
4) MAC --> if they let us in, I guess that can work, though they'd have to take another team (UMass?) to make it even. Not a great crop of opponents, but more winnable games and less travel. Pretty much the same history as with AAC. Maybe they can get wins and turn this around.
5) AAC --> has been nixed. UConn basketball is valuable enough, though, that I wonder if we couldn't negotiate playing some of these teams in basketball a certain number of games a year (4?) in an effort to stay in the league? Probably not an option, but just kicking it around. Obviously a very good football conference and the best of the option on the table. Would also mean they could just target a basketball only.

Where do we land?
I like 5 but it seems to be a longshot

Reaction Score
I like 5 but it seems to be a longshot
It won't happen. That said, there aren't a lot of good football onlies out there. Keep UConn, have them schedule 4 AAC teams OOC basketball a year like ND does with ACC (only in football), and backfill with VCU or someone. The basketball league takes a minor step down (but with some guaranteed good OOC games) and the football league stays the same.

Reaction Score
Attendance and fan interest will dwindle even more?? LOL

Bob Diaco?

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
Our football program could play in the Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MSCAC) with Bridgewater State, Fitchburg State, Westfield State, etc. They would struggle for a couple years but they’d be the kings of that conference in three years.

Reaction Score
No but you'll almost definitely see UMass Liberty Army and New Mexico State as default "conference" opponents on an annual basis beginning in 2-3 years given they all need 12 games annually too.

BYU came here on a H/H when we were in the AAC. I could see them doing that again- they signed a 4 game deal with UMass 2 in Provo 2 in MA. If they want to play an east coast game every year they can alternate UConn and UMass.

ND probably will never play us again given the history and their quasi ACC association.

The FCS games will be a rotation of local schools like Villanova, Rhode Island, etc.

Now that were Independent, I'd love us to play Yale a few times. I don't think a win vs them counts towards bowl eligibility for us but given that we don't have any bowl tie-ins anymore that doesn't matter anyways.

I'd love it if they could convince Delaware or URI any of the other teams to upgrade but thats got a 0.0001% chance of happening.
Yale Bowl used to be one of the most fun days ever. Seriously, you want to see alumni loyalty? Bring that back... generations of alumni, all working on cirrhosis.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom