February 2021 UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

February 2021 UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yes she is playing professionally in the same league as Jocyte. Note that this does not rule out being NCAA eligible as it did not for Anna.
I understand that. Are you sure she is an unpaid amateur in the pro league?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I understand that. Are you sure she is an unpaid amateur in the pro league?
If by "she" you mean Jocyte a few of us have been corresponding with @awhom111 and he believes Jocyte is being compensated at or below a level that will allow her to play NCAA basketball. As far as Kosu I have no idea, I was just pointing out that the Russian professional money is apparently too good and it has been a while since any good Russian came state side.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If by "she" you mean Jocyte a few of us have been corresponding with @awhom111 and he believes Jocyte is being compensated at or below a level that will allow her to play NCAA basketball. As far as Kosu I have no idea, I was just pointing out that the Russian professional money is apparently too good and it has been a while since any good Russian came state side.
I know that Jocyte is college-eligible. I was asking if Kosu also is.

Reaction Score
Not sure if she is still a potential UConn target or not, but Jennah Isai looks to have had another injury (she previously tore her ACL):

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Not sure if she is still a potential UConn target or not, but Jennah Isai looks to have had another injury (she previously tore her ACL):

It was a scheduled surgery so must've been something bothering her for a while. Not sure of where UConn stands with her anymore but she's a UConn-type player for sure.

Highlights from her last game before the surgery in which she had 20 points, 5 rebounds, 8 assists, and 2 blocks.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
2/9

Aalyah del Rosario: 15 points, 7 rebounds, fouled out

Joyce Edwards: 23 points

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Azzi's high school season started last night. I had hoped to watch via streaming, but had to take care of a car problem. SJC lost to Paul VI (normally a very good team) by 68-66. Azzi had 34 (more than half the team's points).

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Azzi's high school season started last night. I had hoped to watch via streaming, but had to take care of a car problem. SJC lost to Paul VI (normally a very good team) by 68-66. Azzi had 34 (more than half the team's points).
:eek: Azzi trying to imitate Paige is what I got out of that.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
How does UConn keep coming up with these clunkers? Watching Geno coach this team like a 20 year old next year he can coach in a rocking chair.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
When SJC went to the GEICO national championship game (which JordyG and I saw) in 2019, Azzi tended to take more shots than any other teammates. On a normal day, she was the best shooter in the country, which got her 2 of the 4 NPOY awards as a 10th grader. This year's SJC team may be rebuilding, but I expect Azzi to score at least 25 ppg, perhaps 35 ppg.

You can follow the team's progress here:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
They won't be able to leave her alone at the top of the key. The shooters are coming. Azzi,Caroline Ducharme,Brady and Paige lookout. National Champs
Funny you should mention that shot from top of the key. That's it! That what been mainly missing form the UCONN offense this season. Gabby wasn't good at taking that shot but she could kill you from that spot by passing or by blowing by you. Napheesa shot it from there well enough that you also had to come out and guard her. Megan shot is really well from there. When the ball ends up in those spots this year you are actually doing the defense a great favor. Amari DeBerry can make that shot also.

JordyG

Reaction Score
When SJC went to the GEICO national championship game (which JordyG and I saw) in 2019, Azzi tended to take more shots than any other teammates. On a normal day, she was the best shooter in the country, which got her 2 of the 4 NPOY awards as a 10th grader. This year's SJC team may be rebuilding, but I expect Azzi to score at least 25 ppg, perhaps 35 ppg.

You can follow the team's progress here:

Dear Dawn, your dreams next year:
Image result for gif the sinking of the hindenburg
Oh the humanity!

JordyG

Reaction Score
Funny you should mention that shot from top of the key. That's it! That what been mainly missing form the UCONN offense this season. Gabby wasn't good at taking that shot but she could kill you from that spot by passing or by blowing by you. Napheesa shot it from there well enough that you also had to come out and guard her. Megan shot is really well from there. When the ball ends up in those spots this year you are actually doing the defense a great favor. Amari DeBerry can make that shot also.
What's also been missing is that trailer pull up and the trail swinging the ball to the opposite for an midi or corner three. All of those are coming y'all.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Amari has a very similar body-type to Liv...correct or not?
What would be a reasonable comparison of her style of play to Ono?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Amari is much more skilled offensively (scoring and shooting) than Liv. She is closer offensive skill to Azura Stevens. Azura's 3PT shot abandoned her once she got to UCONN but prior to that she was fairly good on par with Napheesa Collier's deep shooting.

Reaction Score
Brady gonna make that shot famous.

Reaction Score
Amari has a somewhat similar body type, though she does have a little more meat on her bones. I'll retell an incident that occurred when Amari played for the USA in international competition.
I don't remember who they were playing but Amari hot smacked fairly hard and she thought it was intentional. When she got to the other side of the court, she posted the girl that smacked her down in the low post. Amari then clocked the girl with her arm when she called for the pass. The refs called it a flagrant foul but Amari made her point.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It was a scheduled surgery so must've been something bothering her for a while. Not sure of where UConn stands with her anymore but she's a UConn-type player for sure. Highlights from her last game before the surgery in which she had 20 points, 5 rebounds, 8 assists, and 2 blocks.
Jennah Isai is at the top of my wish list for '22 if UCONN is going to take in another Guard. I like her complete offensive skill set and size which is better than Rice, Bransford or Paris.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Amari has a somewhat similar body type, though she does have a little more meat on her bones. I'll retell an incident that occurred when Amari played for the USA in international competition.
I don't remember who they were playing but Amari hot smacked fairly hard and she thought it was intentional. When she got to the other side of the court, she posted the girl that smacked her down in the low post. Amari then clocked the girl with her arm when she called for the pass. The refs called it a flagrant foul but Amari made her point.
I think that might have neem against Canada in the championship game at U16 2019.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I remember the play. I also remember saying to myself, the kid has, uh, moxie.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I remember the play. I also remember saying to myself, the kid has, uh, moxie.
She was also hurting (thumb) during that trials and tournament.

JordyG

Reaction Score
She was also hurting (thumb) during that trials and tournament.
I also remember you reporting that at the time. You reported more about her time there that I've typically forgotten.

Reaction Score
It was a scheduled surgery so must've been something bothering her for a while. Not sure of where UConn stands with her anymore but she's a UConn-type player for sure.

Highlights from her last game before the surgery in which she had 20 points, 5 rebounds, 8 assists, and 2 blocks.

I really like Isai’s all around game too. I have no idea if UConn is in on her but a problem I see there is that with only one year of separation she’s a very similar combination of Ducharme and Poffenbarger. I see no room at the inn. I see her as maybe a 3 year starter at Arizona, ASU, or Oregon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom