February 2021 UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

February 2021 UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes, I hope people realize how advanced this footwork, fundamentals, and shooting is. There are very few 6-3 top college Jrs. and Srs. who have this skillset. And she's an 11th grader that can give a clinic right now. My hopes aren't high but if UConn could somehow get Patterson to pair with this kid...........
Early post shows Ice Brady is 6'4". So she grows one inch? And may be 6'5" to 6'6" when she graduates?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I also remember you reporting that at the time. You reported more about her time there that I've typically forgotten.
Yea, this is one of the bigger reason COVID sucks because I was really really looking forward to the progression of this group as a whole. There were some surprises here are the biggest ones I can remember:
  • Barker dominated the trials but then kind of disappeared once games started.
  • Betts dominated the tournament by rebounding because she was so much taller than anyone else
  • Miles dominated the tournament just by passing the basketball
  • Londynn Jones could really really stroke it from deep.
  • Verhulst was low key sneaky athletic kind of of like Stewie was "goofy" and then she's exploding off the floor to snatch a rebound or block your shot.
  • Sonia Citron played better than Saylor-Saylor played well
  • Gardiner played well but I would need to see more and I don't know where UCONN stands with her
  • Still uncommitted from that team are Barker, Jones, Gardiner, Bransford, & Rice.
It also very worth wile to go back and look at the list of some of the invited players who did not make this team-some serious firepower below and one might make the argument you could put together a better starting 5 from the players that didn't make the team. How About? C: Maya Nnaji, PF: Sania Feagin, SF: Ayanna Patterson, SG: Jennah Isai, PG: Ashlon Jackson.

Did not make the team HS Class of '21
Taylor Bigby
Sania Feagin
Jillian Hollinshead
Okikiola Iriafen
Jada Malone
Aaronette Vonleh

Did not make the team HS Class of '22
Shay Bollin
Sydney Bowles
Ysabella Fontleroy
Aaliyah Gayles
Jennah Isai
Ashlon Jackson
Camille Jackson
Caroline Lau
Maya Nnaji
Ayanna Patterson
Grace VanSlooten
Ashlyn Watkins
Amauri Williams

Reaction Score
Yea, this is one of the bigger reason COVID sucks because I was really really looking forward to the progression of this group as a whole. There were some surprises here are the biggest ones I can remember:
  • Betts dominated the tournament by rebounding because she was so much taller than anyone else
  • Verhulst was low key sneaky athletic kind of of like Stewie was "goofy" and then she's exploding off the floor to snatch a rebound or block your shot.
  • Gardiner played well but I would need to see more and I don't know where UCONN stands with her
  • Still uncommitted from that team are Barker, Jones, Gardiner, Bransford, & Rice.
It also very worth wile to go back and look at the list of some of the invited players who did not make this team-some serious firepower below and one might make the argument you could put together a better starting 5 from the players that didn't make the team. How About? C: Maya Nnaji, PF: Sania Feagin, SF: Ayanna Patterson, SG: Jennah Isai, PG: Ashlon Jackson.

Taylor Bigby
Sania Feagin
Jillian Hollinshead
Okikiola Iriafen
Jada Malone
Aaronette Vonleh

Shay Bollin
Sydney Bowles
Ysabella Fontleroy
Aaliyah Gayles
Jennah Isai
Ashlon Jackson
Camille Jackson
Caroline Lau
Maya Nnaji
Ayanna Patterson
Grace VanSlooten
Ashlyn Watkins
Amauri Williams
With some of the 2021 players, could it have been more about the FIBA style of play required for the tournament?

It's the impression I've gotten in reading comments about players who have trained with BlueStar having an advantage because of their "familiarity" with USA Basketball and what they're looking for.

Players selected for the Canadian team are already familiar with FIBA as the provincial basketball organizations use these rules for club play already. For them it's getting used to what I call federation rules (7 fouls for bonus, 1 and 1 shooting, etc.) which I grew up with.

Reaction Score
Azzi's high school season started last night. I had hoped to watch via streaming, but had to take care of a car problem. SJC lost to Paul VI (normally a very good team) by 68-66. Azzi had 34 (more than half the team's points).

Here’s a Few of her shooting highlights

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
With some of the 2021 players, could it have been more about the FIBA style of play required for the tournament?

It's the impression I've gotten in reading comments about players who have trained with BlueStar having an advantage because of their "familiarity" with USA Basketball and what they're looking for.

Players selected for the Canadian team are already familiar with FIBA as the provincial basketball organizations use these rules for club play already. For them it's getting used to what I call federation rules (7 fouls for bonus, 1 and 1 shooting, etc.) which I grew up with.
I don't think familiarity with FIBA played a factor as to which players were selected for this team because (U16) is the first age group for USA basketball so in a sense they are all starting from the same point.
A few of the players Amari DeBerry specifically (might be others) had been at this age group trail before so the familiarity with what to expect worked in her favor. Blue Stars and the Philly Belles have a significant advantage at these trials because Mike Flynn has been preparing HS age kids for international tournaments well before USA basketball started. The Bluestar staff teaches the kids what to expects, conduct the drills and teach the kids what coaches are looking for and how to make a good impression. In short while most of the kids are hearing these things for the first time on the morning of orientation, the Blustar kids are hearing it for at least the second time. The Blue star prepared kids also have an advantage because they have familar faces in gym while trials are going on.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score

Taylor Bigby
Sania Feagin
Jillian Hollinshead
Okikiola Iriafen
Jada Malone
Aaronette Vonleh

Shay Bollin
Sydney Bowles
Ysabella Fontleroy
Aaliyah Gayles
Jennah Isai
Ashlon Jackson
Camille Jackson
Caroline Lau
Maya Nnaji
Ayanna Patterson
Grace VanSlooten
Ashlyn Watkins
Amauri Williams
Curious, I know Nnaji, has put out her top potentials, which excluded UConn. Don't know if we had any interest in her, I never heard one word from Paige in regards to wanting to reunite with her past teammate. Also not one word from Nnaji, is this a case of Paige not thinking she was good enough, wouldn't fit in, didn't get along, could it be Nnaji wanted to get away from Paige for what ever the reason. Any thoughts or answers much appreciated.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Curious, I know Nnaji, has put out her top potentials, which excluded UConn. Don't know if we had any interest in her, I never heard one word from Paige in regards to wanting to reunite with her past teammate. Also not one word from Nnaji, is this a case of Paige not thinking she was good enough, wouldn't fit in, didn't get along, could it be Nnaji wanted to get away from Paige for what ever the reason. Any thoughts or answers much appreciated.

I think with Edwards in 2020, DeBerry in 2021, and Brady in 2022, it didn't make a lot of sense for Nnaji to come to UConn. She and Paige had great on-court chemistry at Hopkins, so I'd imagine that it has more to do with where she can make an impact more immediately. For some kids, UConn is their choice regardless of who is ahead of them and for some kids it isn't. And if that's the case for Nnaji, I'm glad she recognizes that in herself and makes the right decision the first time.

Reaction Score
Jennah Isai is at the top of my wish list for '22 if UCONN is going to take in another Guard. I like her complete offensive skill set and size which is better than Rice, Bransford or Paris.
I am hoping for Fulwiley in 2023.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'd vote for none of the above. Nnaji is definitely good enough to play at UCONN and I'm pretty sure everyone concerned knows that in including Paige. As far as mutual interest I have to believe that Nnanji interest in UCONN and UCONN interest in her went down significantly when Ice Brady verbally committed to UCONN.

Reaction Score
I don't think familiarity with FIBA played a factor as to which players were selected for this team because (U16) is the first age group for USA basketball so in a sense they are all starting from the same point.
A few of the players Amari DeBerry specifically (might be others) had been at this age group trail before so the familiarity with what to expect worked in her favor. Blue Stars and the Philly Belles have a significant advantage at these trials because Mike Flynn has been preparing HS age kids for international tournaments well before USA basketball started. The Bluestar staff teaches the kids what to expects, conduct the drills and teach the kids what coaches are looking for and how to make a good impression. In short while most of the kids are hearing these things for the first time on the morning of orientation, the Blustar kids are hearing it for at least the second time. The Blue star prepared kids also have an advantage because they have familar faces in gym while trials are going on.

That helps to clarify things. Appreciate this insight.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I am hoping for Fulwiley in 2023.
I have a much bigger appetite for guards in '23- big enough to consume at least two of the following. Keep in mind that we graduate a class of 5 in '24 which will include Paige and Nika.
  1. Juste Jocyte
  2. Malaysia Fulwiley
  3. Judea Watkins
  4. Mikaylah Williams
  5. Chloe Clardy
  6. Ashlyn Shade

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

Taylor Bigby
Sania Feagin
Jillian Hollinshead
Okikiola Iriafen
Jada Malone
Aaronette Vonleh

Shay Bollin
Sydney Bowles
Ysabella Fontleroy
Aaliyah Gayles
Jennah Isai
Ashlon Jackson
Camille Jackson
Caroline Lau
Maya Nnaji
Ayanna Patterson
Grace VanSlooten
Ashlyn Watkins
Amauri Williams
Actually more specifically I was referencing you speaking about the trails period and as to why certain players made the squad and how some just fell on their face. Also anyone know if Raven Johnson and Saniya Rivers tried out for that team?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I think with Edwards in 2020, DeBerry in 2021, and Brady in 2022, it didn't make a lot of sense for Nnaji to come to UConn. She and Paige had great on-court chemistry at Hopkins, so I'd imagine that it has more to do with where she can make an impact more immediately. For some kids, UConn is their choice regardless of who is ahead of them and for some kids it isn't. And if that's the case for Nnaji, I'm glad she recognizes that in herself and makes the right decision the first time.
I know some people have a jones for Nnaji, but I never did. In HS I saw plenty of games where at 6'4" and towering over her opponents she still had many of her shots blocked. I like her shot development but it isn't near what Brady shows, nor is her footwork on par with Brady's. Frankly with DeBerry in the house with Brady I'm glad Geno took a pass on Nnaji. Hopefully she'll blossom somewhere else, but she looked just too raw for me.

Reaction Score
I have a much bigger appetite for guards in '23- big enough to consume at least two of the following. Keep in mind that we graduate a class of 5 in '24 which will include Paige and Nika.
  1. Juste Jocyte
  2. Malaysia Fulwiley
  3. Judea Watkins
  4. Mikaylah Williams
  5. Chloe Clardy
  6. Ashlyn Shade
Regarding Williams, it appears that she is an elite softball player who has already verballed for a scholarship to LA/Lafayette. So I guess I'll be OK with those top 2 and if you can get Del Rosario coached up to UConn level that will take care of the '23 groceries.

Reaction Score
I know some people have a jones for Nnaji, but I never did. In HS I saw plenty of games where at 6'4" and towering over her opponents she still had many of her shots blocked. I like her shot development but it isn't near what Brady shows, nor is her footwork on par with Brady's. Frankly with DeBerry in the house with Brady I'm glad Geno took a pass on Nnaji. Hopefully she'll blossom somewhere else, but she looked just too raw for me.
Actually there's nobody at UConn or many other colleges with that development either. ;) ?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Regarding Williams, it appears that she is an elite softball player who has already verballed for a scholarship to LA/Lafayette. So I guess I'll be OK with those top 2 and if you can get Del Rosario coached up to UConn level that will take care of the '23 groceries.
Really? Softball? I hate to poo poo another sport but come on Mikayla. That girl got AA potential and DPOY. Heartbroken!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Actually more specifically I was referencing you speaking about the trails period and as to why certain players made the squad and how some just fell on their face. Also anyone know if Raven Johnson and Saniya Rivers tried out for that team?
The people that I talk to that were in the gym did not mention either of them.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Et6OJWMWQAEobTe

Reaction Score
Early post shows Ice Brady is 6'4". So she grows one inch? And may be 6'5" to 6'6" when she graduates?
I think the 6' 4" is the growth spurt. She's been listed previously as 6' 3".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom