OT: - Favorite Music - What Artists, Groups, Genre, Do You Love the Most?? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Favorite Music - What Artists, Groups, Genre, Do You Love the Most??

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Since Kaizen brought up jazz -- my taste in jazz tends to cluster around the old stuff and the more modern stuff. Not crazy about a lot of the in-between like swing and bop. Since Louis played with Sidney Bechet, I'll start with the old. This is a traditional song, and Louis did my favorite version:

Reaction Score
Just a street busker!? This Polish guitarist is a good as anyone. I don't know why people walked by without appearing to know he was there...until late in the piece when he got a few coins.

Reaction Score
Old time folk music makes me feel very good.

Tim Buckley's beautiful "Happy Time" is one of those songs:

Reaction Score
The question is wide open to many different answers. So, I'll answer it this way. If I was on stranded on a Island and could only listen to 1 Genre of music, it would Be Southern Rock.
beat shazam rock n roll GIF by Fox TV

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I've never been a fan of music videos (outside of concert footage), but love some music scenes from movies. This is my absolute favorite of those. It's a brilliant mashup of spoofs of songs and the footage is brilliant.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Don't understand a single word of this song (in Swedish I think), but really nice dual male/female vocals, and some tasty guitars.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Used to see this band live all the time back in the day. Ah, Shona Le Mottee on the fiddle. Sigh.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Had to include this beautiful love song from 1963. There have been several cover versions, but the original remains the best.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
It's just bewildering that, throughout this thread and through 115 posts, no one has mentioned Creedence, Three Dog Night, Elton John, or Bob Segar.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I do have a clear favorite Creedence song, and agree that they're one of the all-time greats. This song is their best-kept secret:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Connie Dover is a golden-voiced American singer who's equally comfortable with American and British-Isles traditional music. This song is an absolute tearjerker by a Welsh songwright named Huw Williams about the Blitz. I am reading a book, a little bit of which takes place in the Blitz, so put a couple of Connie's albums on. Gods, I love this song.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I like almost all kinds of music! Especially romantic or "message" songs!
I'm not thrilled with Rap, Hip Hop, Gangsta Rap, and the Heavy Metal bands!
I like some of the well-known opera's even!
My favorite artists (in no particular order):
Garth Brooks
Frank Sinatra
Lady Altabellum
Sugarland
Phil Collins
Kelly Clarkson
Eric Clapton
Johnny Hartman
Barbra Steisand
Ray Charles
Eva Cassidy
Wagner
Barry Manilow
Leanne Rimes
Supremes/Diana Ross
Jeffrey Osborne
Alabama
Dolly Parton
Billy Ocean
Billy Joel
Billy Holiday
All Big Band era
Bee Gees
The Beatles
Jackie Evancho
Buddy Guy
Buddy Holly
Carly Simon
Paul Simon
Charice
Carole King
Celine Dion
Chicago
Whitney Houston
CCR
The Eagles
Ella Fitzgerald
Elton John
Fleetwood Mac
Tony Bennett
George Benson
Harry Connick Jr.
Tina Turner
James Taylor
Michael Bolton
Michael Crawford
Michael Jackson
Nat King Cole
Willie Nelson

And I know others that escape this 75 year old mind!
We like many of the same artists.

Reaction Score
As a cranky old coot it has been a while since I've found any newer artists/music that interested me, and I got pretty bored with 'classic rock'.
For the last couple years I've been very impressed with these 3 sisters and their music. Mostly because of the style of music they compose, but also for their sheer love of what they do.
This is a quality capture of a live performance - Dust To Dust - the prologue/opening song for their concept album -Queen Of The Murder Scene - they created and first performed in 2018 as teenagers & independent artists.
This is from last year in Mexico City.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
It is impossible for me, a professional musician, to boil my likes down to one song/ person or group.

Many of the classical music from the early eras through the 20th century. Pieces like Night on Bald Mountain, Great Gates of Kiev, a Chopin nocturne, Beethoven's 9th symphony up to Leonard Bernstein, Cole Porter.

Big band and jazz eras. Goodman, Dorsey, Harry James, Gene Krupa. I play in a band that plays some of the great songs - Moonlight Sonata, In the Mood, Take the A Train, Tuxedo Junction, Someone to Watch Over Me and the list goes go.

Not forgetting the entire Rock 'n Roll movement. Beatles, Stones, 5th Dimension, Supremes, Temptation, Neil Sedaka, Pink Floyd and the list goes on and on and on. Then there's Run DMC, Public Enemy, KIZZ, Aerosmith, Boston, Fighters. The list is endless.

My favorite today with most likely change by tonight. Hell, I used to teach the History of Rock 'n Roll to 8th grades. Remember Pink Floyds' Dark Side of the Moon as the alternate soundtrack to Judy Garland's Wizard of Oz. Or how about the Paul McCartney Hoax. Paul is dead.

I'm 72 years old. Started playing the trumpet when I was 9. My present horn is 52 years old and I wouldn't trade it for a new one. I still play. Keeps me going. Actually I'm playing so much more since I retired. And I play in a group of the best people, musicians and friends a person could ask for.

Reaction Score
As a cranky old coot it has been a while since I've found any newer artists/music that interested me, and I got pretty bored with 'classic rock'.
For the last couple years I've been very impressed with these 3 sisters and their music. Mostly because of the style of music they compose, but also for their sheer love of what they do.
This is a quality capture of a live performance - Dust To Dust - the prologue/opening song for their concept album -Queen Of The Murder Scene - they created and first performed in 2018 as teenagers & independent artists.
This is from last year in Mexico City.

A bit different the the Go-Go's and Bangles but, I'm impressed! Very Tight band I like!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom