2020 Recruiting: - Etienne considering reclass | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting: Etienne considering reclass

Reaction Score
If he’s reclassifying to 2020 I’d have to assume that he knows freshman year is more developmental because he’s still young. I think he’s in if he knows it’s just him and Javonte Brown Ferguson in 21. Plus I just think UConns loyalty pays off in the end. Miami entered the picture months after UConn offered in July. He’s been to open practice, game, visit, he tagged javonte brown in his last visit to campus. It just seems it’s UConns to lose. Plus I don’t worry about Illinois. Kofi wasn’t nearly as enamored with UConn when he committed to Illinois vs Mac who seems to genuinely be close to players and coaches.
Looking at Miami's roster right now they should have at least 4-5 bigs competing for big minutes next year. Nysier Brooks sat out this year transferring from Cinci, then there's Anthony Walker, Deng Gak, Rodney Miller Jr., and Sam Waardenburg. They seem to be in the same situation as us where the following year will have way more playing time available.

Makes me feel a little better. I thought their front court was completely open next year.

Reaction Score
If Gilbert goes, the plan is to add another guard, as they agree that would be a need. Also, they can make four guards playing together work ok if needed- and Hurley has in the past at a high level- but it’s not the preference. It can be an option, but it’s not the primary plan.

You're assuming AJ, with his ball handling skills, is not being looked at by Hurley as a guard/small forward?

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Whaley is 6'8". He's not a center and gets demolished going against true centers. Fortunately we haven't played many. Whaley is much better suited to play PF. Javonte Brown Ferguson is over 7 feet tall. He's a true Center. Mac looks like he could flex 4-5, but would need to improve his jump shot. Springs is probably a flex 4-5 too.
Mac is a 5. We’ll be fine. Remember Nova had a GREAT team in 2006 that gave big big east team all kinds of fits playing 4 guards and a smallish center. We’ll be fine with lineups like Cole, Bouk, Adams, Jackson, Whaley.

Reaction Score
Bruner doesn’t fit our needs right now. H

I trust our devel

Mac is a 5. We’ll be fine. Remember Nova had a GREAT team in 2006 that gave big big east team all kinds of fits playing 4 guards and a smallish center. We’ll be fine with lineups like Cole, Bouk, Adams, Jackson, Whaley.

I would prefer Etienne if he is going 2020 than Bruner. But you keep repeating that Bruner doesn't fit our needs and it makes no sense. We don't have a 4 that has played D1 basketball right now. Relying on Sid and Springs is a big risk. The staff has said they are aggressively going after a 4 and a big shooter. Mac is neither of those--he's just good enough that you take him regardless and figure out the rest.

Reaction Score
Javonte Brown Ferguson has +++ length. His speed remains to be proven, but strength and conditioning can help there. Motor is something Hurley believes he can coach. Javonte Brown Ferguson is a high upside, but not zero risk, recruit. He also may not be ready as a freshman to take big minutes.

Good point about Javonte Brown Ferguson maybe not being ready. I skimmed through two of the games to which people posted links and he did not show any spirit and aggression like Etienne shows in the videos we've seen of him. Etienne plays with abandon. Javonte Brown Ferguson just jogged down the court, didn't attack the basket on offense, waited for the ball instead of going after rebounds, got poor position on defense and those observations may be just some of the reasons why Hurley is the coach and I'm not. :rolleyes:

Or maybe Hurley's having some reservations about Javonte Brown Ferguson being ready and believes he needs another big man.

Reaction Score
If neither Etienne or Sanogo reclassify UConn will have at a minimum - Whaley, Springs, and Javonte Brown Ferguson as bigs next year which is an improvement in depth and hopefully skills over just Whaley and Carlton this year. If Carlton stays that is even more depth. Also could get Akok back toward the end of the season.

If Carlton stays would Hurley try to sell Etienne on the benefits of redshirting and developing his body and skills for significant PT with the graduation of Whaley and Carlton in 2021?

Or, maybe he's thinking Javonte Brown Ferguson, who's very young as I recall, needs a redshirt year to be able to compete at this level.

Reaction Score
Whaley is 6'8". He's not a center and gets demolished going against true centers.

absolutely. he's a 4 on defense but a 5 on offense. if whaley can continue his development and learn to stretch the floor (i dont see him making 3s even if he can start hitting a 15 footer) then sure problem solved but that's not just something we can rely on at this point.

factoring in our other personnel- if whaley is playing PF (meaning we also have a true center out there) then how does Jackson see the floor? there's only 2 guys that can shoot in that lineup

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
absolutely. he's a 4 on defense but a 5 on offense. if whaley can continue his development and learn to stretch the floor then yes problem solved but that's not just something we can rely on at this point. if whaley is playing PF (which means we also have a center out there) then how does Jackson see the floor? that's a horrible shooting lineup

They view Jackson as a guard/SF. He is absolutely not a power forward anyway. His shooting is getting better. You don't need four three point shooters on the floor when your bigs are actually scoring around the rim.

I know everyone is enjoying our limited success playing small ball (even though we choked against a bad Temple team), but I don't think Dan is doing it out of anything but necessity. He loves the skill level and mobility no doubt, but I don't think he likes the length at all.

Next year we probably have
C: a legit Big. Maybe Etienne, Javonte Brown Ferguson (Carlton if he is here)
PF: Whaley, Springs, maybe Akok/Polley/Sid
SF: Jackson, Polley, Adams
SG: Bouk, Gaff, Adams
PG: Cole, Gaff

Reaction Score
They view Jackson as a guard/SF. He is absolutely not a power forward anyway. His shooting is getting better. You don't need four three point shooters on the floor when your bigs are actually scoring around the rim.

i think you misunderstood something i said. i know AJ isn't a PF. I'm saying a lineup of AJ, Whaley, and a Center only has 2 three point shooters on the floor (cole/gaff/bouk/adams) and none are considered snipers

Reaction Score
Yes, he'd just need to learn to stretch the floor a little more. Which he probably can. Most big guys learn to shoot later. Meanwhile, we do indeed have Javonte Brown Ferguson coming in at 7 feet and change and Springs. I think we'd be in good shape next season by just adding Mac.

I think we need a shooter of some sort. Big guard or swing type who can rebound a little. Asking a lot maybe but needs are still there. We have no clue on too many things we already have as it is.

Reaction Score
Who are all these great shooting power forwards we've had? I see Daniels who we could get away with playing there because we had the best backcourt in the country.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Oriakho and Whaley are about the same size. Whaley can play the 5 if need be or he can play the four.

we need a center who doesn’t come to the top of the key for a dribble handoff or set screens. Need a bruiser down low

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
i think you misunderstood something i said. i know AJ isn't a PF. I'm saying a lineup of AJ, Whaley, and a Center only has 2 three point shooters on the floor (cole/gaff/bouk/adams) and none are considered snipers

AJ is becoming a better shooter. He will be serviceable. Bouk couldn't hit the broadside of the barn the first half of the year. I think the plan was that with Andre at SF you could run out Akok at the 4 and stretch teams. I think that still works with Polley at the 4. I think you play Polley and Adams at the 3 with Whaley at the 4.

Reaction Score
Took a look at Brunner in some individual games. Looked at 4 games vs. P5 plus UMass and then four Ivy games and he doesn't look like a guy I'd take over Etienne or Sanogo, or maybe the IVY League is tougher than we think.:rolleyes:

Averages: 33 minutes
11.3 points
9.1 rebounds
3.8 assists
Shooting percentages: 44.8, 33.0 on threes, 74.5 on FT's

Individual games:
11/17 OK St. 3/11, 0/4 (3's), 0/0 FT's, for 6 points, 9 rebounds and 3 assists, 4 fouls, 35 minutes
11/23 PSU 3/7, 1/3 (3's), 1/4 FT's, for 8 points, 9 rebounds and 2 assists, 2 fouls, 34 minutes
12/11 UMass 8/11, 0/2 (3's), 0/0 FT's for 16 points, 11 rebounds and 6 assists, 3 fouls, 40 minutes
12/22 Clemson 3/9, 2/5 (3's), 2/2 FT's for 10 points, 13 rebounds and 2 assists, 2 fouls, 34 minutes
12/30 UNC 6/10, 2/4 (3's), 3/4 FT's for 17 points, 15 rebounds and 5 assists, 1 foul, 36 minutes

Then there's 4 bad Ivy games with horrible shooting percentages and not in foul trouble:
1/24 Brown 0/2, 0/2 (3's) 2/2 FT's for 2 points, 8 rebounds, 2 assists with 3 fouls in 31 minutes
2/7 Harvard 1/8, 1/3 (3's), 0/0 Ft's, for 3 points, 8 rebounds, 2 assists with 3 fouls in 34 minutes
2/15 Penn 2/8, 2/6 (3's), 0/0 FT's for 6 points, 7 rebounds, 0 assists with 1 foul in 30 minutes
2/22 Columbia 0/5, 0/4 (3's), 2/2 FT's for 2 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists with 0 fouls in 27 minutes

Reaction Score
There was nothing wrong with Jackson's 3 pt shooting the 2 times I have seen him. He's not a +40% sniper but he's certainly as reliable from 3 as Adams and Gilbert. I bet he shoots 35% next year. I have no worries at all about our offense with Jackson and Bouknight on the court together, with any other combination of players. With regard to Etienne, I've seen plenty of clips where he is shooting 3's and mid range 15 ft. He never misses in those clips ;). The jumper from the foul line extended is the great shot both Adrien and Oriaki could hit. I think that could really help us. I sense he also hits foul shots. The shooting is why I think the Boone comparison is a bit weak because Boone was poor from the line. Hilton might be a better comp because he could shoot some but didn't take many. I'm from Missouri when it comes to Ferguson, "show me". I also think Whaley will start making the 15 foot shots.

Reaction Score
"Considering" Does that mean we're making the decision for him? Why even float this in a story if it's not happening

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom