2020 Recruiting: - Etienne considering reclass | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting: Etienne considering reclass

Reaction Score
yeah in theory if we can successfully play a 4 guard lineup with adams as the big guard we should be able to do it with polley too...didnt work out earlier this season tho idk why. the problem with wilson playing PF is that he's undersized but can't stretch the floor with his shooting either (same boat as AJ in that regard).
Polley started at the 4 all last season too! He can make it work.

BTW Yale coach James Jones explicitly says in this article that he thinks Jordan Bruner is planning on going pro after this season. Jeff Jacobs: His final home weekend, Jordan Bruner relishing his last days at Yale

pj

Reaction Score
To everyone saying they'd rather have Bruner than Etienne for next season: I gotta say I disagree. I get you wanna be competitive next season, but I think rebuilding the right way would be to sign a top prospect that will be here up to 4 years and molded and shaped by Hurley during that time. If we can get him for next season, no question we do this over someone like Bruner.

I agree:
- Etienne adds more value than Bruner long-term.
- However, (a) Etienne is a center, Bruner a PF; (b) Bruner is a very nice piece to fill in for one year at PF while Akok rehabs; it would space the classes better if we recruit a PF in 2021 rather than 2020.

Reaction Score
I agree:
- Etienne adds more value than Bruner long-term.
- However, (a) Etienne is a center, Bruner a PF; (b) Bruner is a very nice piece to fill in for one year at PF while Akok rehabs; it would space the classes better if we recruit a PF in 2021 rather than 2020.

Agree with this.

Bruner (or someone like him) as a 1-year mercenary to come in and fill Akok/Polley's spot while they rehab is essential.

Getting a long-term C like Etienne is really decoupled from this.

Reaction Score
Hard to know how ready he is to reclassify when he hasn't even played u17 AAU ball yet.

Reaction Score

“I can reclass, so I am going to talk (with mother and support group) this upcoming spring and decide whether I am ready for the 2020 class or will I be staying until 2021. Right now, it’s up in the air.”

I’m confused, is there a mistake in the article? It says UConn didn’t offer him, but didn’t UConn offer him back in July?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Great shape here.

Cuse fans who love to lurk here...not happening for you guys. Again. Thank you for Jim Boeheim.

My concern had been that Mac in 2021 would eliminate us for Clingan in 2022. But I think getting Etienne as a reclass is a different story altogether. Plus, we really need the help next season.

Edit: Etienne says we have not offered. I wonder why. Mistake it seems.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
This can’t be a coincidence. le Big Mac! Just one question- if he reclasses that leaves us with 4 centers (Mac, Whaley, Carlton, brown) versus 1 PF (springs)

That can be rectified if either Mac can play PF (?) orrr if One of the aforementioned four centers transfers thereby making room for a PF

PS-i believe mac can play PF defensively i'm wondering about offensively

Whaley is 6'8". He's not a center and gets demolished going against true centers. Fortunately we haven't played many. Whaley is much better suited to play PF. Javonte Brown Ferguson is over 7 feet tall. He's a true Center. Mac looks like he could flex 4-5, but would need to improve his jump shot. Springs is probably a flex 4-5 too.

Reaction Score
Whaley is 6'8". He's not a center and gets demolished going against true centers. Fortunately we haven't played many. Whaley is much better suited to play PF. Javonte Brown Ferguson is over 7 feet tall. He's a true Center. Mac looks like he could flex 4-5, but would need to improve his jump shot. Springs is probably a flex 4-5 too.
There’s barely any true centers right now. Also Whaley dominated Precious defensively. He can play center.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
There’s barely any true centers right now. Also Whaley dominated Precious defensively. He can play center.

Whaley got dominated by Vogt. Precious is a college PF and NBA SF, he's nothing close to a center. He's out of position due to Wiseman. Agree that many teams don't have a center. I still think Whaley is likely our starting 4 next season with Springs behind him.

Reaction Score
Whaley can play the similar athletic big men rally well as he negates that advantage. But he has trouble with the real 5's with size and weight like the Cincy dude.

Etienne seems to me like a 6'9 Josh Boone who could play alongside a true center without a doubt. And Clingan and he would fit fine together.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Whaley can play the similar athletic big men rally well as he negates that advantage. But he has trouble with the real 5's with size and weight like the Cincy dude.

Etienne seems to me like a 6'9 Josh Boone who could play alongside a true center without a doubt. And Clingan and he would fit fine together.

Yes, he'd just need to learn to stretch the floor a little more. Which he probably can. Most big guys learn to shoot later. Meanwhile, we do indeed have Javonte Brown Ferguson coming in at 7 feet and change and Springs. I think we'd be in good shape next season by just adding Mac.

Reaction Score
He can in most games probably but we're super thin there. Carlton has regressed and is a terrible fit for how Hurley wants them to play and he can't play with Whaley. Etienne is really good and will be a perfect fit for Hurley's style.

Reaction Score
Does having a player under a “ Medical Redshirt” open up a schooly??
I don't think so but that'd be a great thing for the NCAA to change.

And to the people debating whether Whaley and Etienne are 4's or 5's, I just don't think it matters with Hurley. His most effective lineups are when we play relatively small, and what we need in the front court is a big that can consistently get ORebs and DRebs, run the floor, and be mobile on defense while not get bullied by traditional centers. Etienne, Whaley, and Springs all fit that description. Unfortunately I don't think JC does.

Reaction Score
Precious is not a true center
I know that. But he’s physically dominant and bigger than Whaley but Whaley more than held his own. And I can’t think of really any true centers in the BE off the top of my head.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
lol this is literally one of the many games he’s played. Also, who cares if a gym is boring? He’s putting in work.

Loved his Phil Nolan moment.

Reaction Score
I know that. But he’s physically dominant and bigger than Whaley but Whaley more than held his own. And I can’t think of really any true centers in the BE off the top of my head.
Only major competition rn isn’t Syracuse, it’s Miami. Who have zero centers next year pending a redshirt juniors decision.
Although he has tremendous relationships with Bouknight and Javonte Brown Ferguson. And his mom prefers he stay close to home but won’t push him.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Whaley got dominated by Vogt. Precious is a college PF and NBA SF, he's nothing close to a center. He's out of position due to Wiseman. Agree that many teams don't have a center. I still think Whaley is likely our starting 4 next season with Springs behind him.
Add Collin Smith from UCF to the equation.

If Akok can't play next season or his play is reduced Whaley can make up a lot of the loss on defense. And imo he would be a net positive on offense compared to a completely healed Akok not only in getting more FT attempts and offensive rebounds but a better complementary player to whoever plays the five.

Reaction Score
Only major competition rn isn’t Syracuse, it’s Miami. Who have zero centers next year pending a redshirt juniors decision.
Always have to be nervous when Illinoi$ is involved too but you are right. Miami being desperate for a center is concerning. If Hurley can promise at least 15-20 minutes a game next year then turn him loose as the main big his sophomore year we're in good shape. If we're recruiting him for 2020 to redshirt or to get 10> minutes a game then Miami's pitch could really entice him.

Reaction Score
Always have to be nervous when Illinoi$ is involved too but you are right. Miami being desperate for a center is concerning. If Hurley can promise at least 15-20 minutes a game next year then turn him lose as the main big his sophomore year we're in good shape. If we're recruiting him for 2020 to redshirt or to get 10> minutes a game then Miami's pitch could really entice him.
If he’s reclassifying to 2020 I’d have to assume that he knows freshman year is more developmental because he’s still young. I think he’s in if he knows it’s just him and Javonte Brown Ferguson in 21. Plus I just think UConns loyalty pays off in the end. Miami entered the picture months after UConn offered in July. He’s been to open practice, game, visit, he tagged javonte brown in his last visit to campus. It just seems it’s UConns to lose. Plus I don’t worry about Illinois. Kofi wasn’t nearly as enamored with UConn when he committed to Illinois vs Mac who seems to genuinely be close to players and coaches.

Reaction Score

We are lucky in that the big east isn't a league with a ton of true centers. So our true bigs may have an advantage, and we should be able to play Whaley quite a bit if he keeps up the improvement

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom