2021 Recruiting: - El Ellis JUCO update | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2021 Recruiting: El Ellis JUCO update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The addition of Ellis and Martin could be just what we need to make up for the loss of Bouknight after next season.

Is Bouk going to Illini? Seriously, if he doesn't get stronger physically and work on certain important parts of his game (the little things) he won't be going in the draft as high as so many here are projecting.
I hope he does all the things he needs to do to be a lottery pick because that means huge things for the team.

Over his last 13 games, he averaged 17ppg on 45%fg, 36% from 3 and 5rpg. As a true freshman, with moderate usage. You can count on every one of those numbers going up next year. Hurley is going to run the offense through Bouknight. I think it's very reasonable to expect 20ppg, just under 50%fg and 38-40% from 3 with 6 boards. Huge year coming. If he's not gone after next season I think something will have to go wrong.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The addition of Ellis and Martin could be just what we need to make up for the loss of Bouknight after next season.

Is Bouk going to Illini? Seriously, if he doesn't get stronger physically and work on certain important parts of his game (the little things) he won't be going in the draft as high as so many here are projecting.
I hope he does all the things he needs to do to be a lottery pick because that means huge things for the team.
I get what you're saying but his mind is already made up. This is his last year.

Reaction Score
If Ellis commits to a school now is it possible for him to redshirt next year and come in with 3 years of eligibility?

Reaction Score
If Ellis commits to a school now is it possible for him to redshirt next year and come in with 3 years of eligibility?
JuCo eligibility is really complicated, and typically comes down to academics.

For example:

-Was the Junior College Student-Athlete a “qualifier” or “non-qualifier” coming out of high school? The answer to this will affect what a junior college transfer athlete must achieve academically to be eligible to compete at an NCAA DI or DII school.

-How many semesters did the Junior College Student-Athlete attend at the junior college?

-Was the Junior College Student-Athlete required to get their Associates Degree before they were ruled academically eligible to transfer to an NCAA school?

Yes, it is possible for some, but might not be possible in this case.

With those offers, if he's going to JuCo another year, a reasonable assumption is he has academic requirements left to fulfill in order to qualify for the 2021 season based on this from that link:

If a Junior College Transfer Athlete has not satisfied all necessary NCAA academic requirements BEFORE starting classes this Fall, they won’t be able to compete for their university during the 2018-19 academic year and may also not be qualified to receive an athletic scholarship!

Reaction Score
Even if this were possible, we don't currently have a spot open for him, so I hope it's not possible.
I'm sure the idea is that he redshirts at JuCo and comes here in 2021. Also don't think it's likely tho

Reaction Score
Love how low he stays on his drives. Seems to always get leverage with the defender like a running back. Should lead to drawing a lot of fouls and getting to the rim at will once he gets stronger.

Reaction Score
Anyone (valuing @UConnStats ?) have any idea how juco production has transferred to D1?
Not a very strong correlation. JUCO competition varies by conference and even some great statistical performers don’t handle the transition well (for example Woldetensae). Ellis has impressive assist numbers to couple with his 40+ 3P% though, and is a much more athletic player than Woldetensae. I think Ellis can be an impact player like Cam Mack. His stats and offers are both impressive.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not a very strong correlation. JUCO competition varies by conference and even some great statistical performers don’t handle the transition well (for example Woldetensae). Ellis has impressive assist numbers to couple with his 40+ 3P% though, and is a much more athletic player than Woldetensae. I think Ellis can be an impact player like Cam Mack. That’s stats and offers are both impressive.
Thanks! Always know who to go to for the deep dive. Much appreciated

Reaction Score
Rewatching his 6:41 long mixtape of his offense, it shows certain skills, but, it is never obvious that he knows he has teammates. From far away from the basket, time after time, he seems committed to his drive and his shot, regardless of the movement of the defense or other players. I don't know if that is a misimpression or if he's just decisive. If he hits a high % of 3's, and can finish successfully against D1 post players I suppose it's less important. In a couple instances guys are ahead of or with him on a break, have their hands raised as open, or are in a position for a better shot. There didn't seem to be a chance they were getting the ball. No obvious glances to his other guys. This isn't meant to be a negative, maybe he has 6 assists a game, or, maybe the offensive pressure is on him to do it all, like it was on Boat when he was a senior.

12 min tape has some good assists to their big man rolling to the basket. A la SNL, Nevermind.

Is that you Roseanne?

Reaction Score
Juco kids need situations were they can come in and play right away. With Gaffney and Cole coming back this is a bit of a head scratcher. This kid is going to want a situation with big minutes. Maybe they want him and Cole together followed by him and Gaffney. I do Feel he’s a bit over hyped right now. His offer list is eye popping.

Reaction Score
Juco kids need situations were they can come in and play right away. With Gaffney and Cole coming back this is a bit of a head scratcher. This kid is going to want a situation with big minutes. Maybe they want him and Cole together followed by him and Gaffney. I do Feel he’s a bit over hyped right now. His offer list is eye popping.
Its really true that 2 people can watch the same thing and draw 2 different conclusions. I think this kid is a stud. Hurley is batting .1000 so far. Elite teams have elite talent off the bench. We're going to be on desperate need of another ball handler in 2021

Reaction Score
Its really true that 2 people can watch the same thing and draw 2 different conclusions. I think this kid is a stud. Hurley is batting .1000 so far. Elite teams have elite talent off the bench. We're going to be on desperate need of another ball handler in 2021

Yeah agree. There's so many things to think about regarding the landscape of college basketball also. Will a Brendan Adams graduate in 3 years and want a 30 minute gig elsewhere after sharing for 3 years? Will Gaff live up to potential or will he lose time with all the players involved in his year 2? These are not me speculating on transfers at all it's just the reality of what college hoops is now. Hopefully none of this happens and success breeds staying at Storrs. But certainly the staff needs to look for people who can play many positions for many reasons these days.

Reaction Score
Let’s get him. I’m still not sold on gaffney.

Big year for Gaffney. He obviously had the ankle injury which hampered him during the preseason and through the first few games. Once he started playing, I was impressed with his poise for a freshman and he flashed athleticism, but still seemed to play tentative and lacked aggression. Looking forward to his progress this year, but regardless it's necessary for us to add another piece in the backcourt to help push him and Cole.

Reaction Score
1589376793204.png

Reaction Score
Yes to Ellis, but I think we're going to see a big season from Gaffney. Some freshman adjust to the college game by being too aggressive and making dumb mistakes (and then trying to reduce the mistakes). Others play it overly conservative and try to slowly incorporate more aggression over time. Gaffney was the latter. I think his athleticism and shooting ability will blossom next season

Reaction Score
Yes to Ellis, but I think we're going to see a big season from Gaffney. Some freshman adjust to the college game by being too aggressive and making dumb mistakes (and then trying to reduce the mistakes). Others play it overly conservative and try to slowly incorporate more aggression over time. Gaffney was the latter. I think his athleticism and shooting ability will blossom next season
People thought Kemba was an out of control maniac (I mean he was...) but still, If you look up the definition of smooth in the UConn dictionary, you'll see a picture of Jalen Gaffney

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I agree Gaffney is going to be much improved and obviously yes to Ellis. We’re going to need 2, maybe 3, guards in this class with Cole and Adams entering their senior years and Bouk gone.

Reaction Score
You really think he's riding the Mendoza line?

Edit: I was trying to poke fun at your mistake, and, in doing so, made myself look stupid. The Mendoza line is .200, so let me rephrase: You really think he's doing so poorly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom