2021 Recruiting: - El Ellis JUCO update | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2021 Recruiting: El Ellis JUCO update

Status
Not open for further replies.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Not really relevant but when was the last time Wake Forest did anything? Chris Paul? I feel like they were a consistent national contender when I was a kid

Paul, Eric Williams and josh Howard.

Man. Time flies.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Haven't been ranked since the 09-10 season.

However, they are getting some "buzz" for next season. They were a top-20 defense last season, they have a legit lead guard in Michael Devoe and five of their best six players return. They should be in the top-half of the ACC.
They're also good for upsetting Duke midseason and getting an angry press conference from Coach K every couple years

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Haven't been ranked since the 09-10 season.

However, they are getting some "buzz" for next season. They were a top-20 defense last season, they have a legit lead guard in Michael Devoe and five of their best six players return. They should be in the top-half of the ACC.

Georgia Tech?

Reaction Score
Not really relevant but when was the last time Wake Forest did anything? Chris Paul? I feel like they were a consistent national contender when I was a kid
Speaking of Wake Forest, Danny Manning and Wake parted ways today.

Just one winning season in six seasons. 35-58 (.376) in last three seasons.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I would love to see another Elbert sign on to play for Dan. Ellis is getting a lot of these visits in. It will be interesting to see if that leads to an earlier commitment or if he’ll let it play out.
Louisville was thought to be the favorite. Have to think the notice of allegations hurts them here. Doubt he wants to walk into a potentially bad situation.

Reaction Score
Rewatching his 6:41 long mixtape of his offense, it shows certain skills, but, it is never obvious that he knows he has teammates. From far away from the basket, time after time, he seems committed to his drive and his shot, regardless of the movement of the defense or other players. I don't know if that is a misimpression or if he's just decisive. If he hits a high % of 3's, and can finish successfully against D1 post players I suppose it's less important. In a couple instances guys are ahead of or with him on a break, have their hands raised as open, or are in a position for a better shot. There didn't seem to be a chance they were getting the ball. No obvious glances to his other guys. This isn't meant to be a negative, maybe he has 6 assists a game, or, maybe the offensive pressure is on him to do it all, like it was on Boat when he was a senior.

12 min tape has some good assists to their big man rolling to the basket. A la SNL, Nevermind.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Opponents obviously aren't D1-skilled, but they're D1-sized. I love how he emphasizes driving hard straight to the hoop, and finishes over guys. I see some Vital in his game, and maybe some Russ Smith

Reaction Score
Rewatching his 6:41 long mixtape of his offense, it shows certain skills, but, it is never obvious that he knows he has teammates. From far away from the basket, time after time, he seems committed to his drive and his shot, regardless of the movement of the defense or other players. I don't know if that is a misimpression or if he's just decisive. If he hits a high % of 3's, and can finish successfully against D1 post players I suppose it's less important. In a couple instances guys are ahead of or with him on a break, have their hands raised as open, or are in a position for a better shot. There didn't seem to be a chance they were getting the ball. No obvious glances to his other guys. This isn't meant to be a negative, maybe he has 6 assists a game, or, maybe the offensive pressure is on him to do it all, like it was on Boat when he was a senior.

He started to play a lot better after about 13 games into the season after December so I took stats from his last 18 games. His shots per game from 2 and 3 skyrocketed, so I think his coach realized he needed to showcase Ellis.

15.4 PTS
4.3 REB
4.7 AST

3.0 TO
1.1 STL

46% FG (12.3 attempts)
51% 2PT FG(7.4 attempts)
38% 3PT FG (4.9 attempts)
82% FT (2.5 attempts)

FTs are the biggest difference from the first 13 games. And maybe a signal of how much he changed his play style. First 13 games he was 87% on 4 attempts--significantly more. My guess is he was playing as a slashing off-guard (fewer shots, more drives), and the coach switched him to be the true PG afterwards.

Shooting percentages are good on relatively high volume. His coach mentioned in interviews that he's still learning the PG position, so while the TOs are pretty alarming, I wonder how much is just him uncomfortable in a new playing style. If you look at HS mixtapes, this kid was trained to be an electric scorer, not a PG. It's exciting that he was able to shoot such solid percentages while having to run an offense.

He'll probably be the type of guard that gets "system assists" as I call them. You practice running sets and he'll get assists because he'll know the motions and where guys will be--Boat might be a good example. Not sure he'll ever be a "make something out of nothing" assist guy... that's just innate. Bazz, Marcus Williams, and potentially Gaffney come to mind. Guys that don't need a set play to be a great passer.

My guess is we're bringing him in as a combo/2nd guard with Gaffney and Cole as the true points.

Dribbles well with his left hand, hopefully a signal left handed finishing could follow. "closes the gate" well on his drives too

Really nice spin move L/R and R/L.

Nice catch and shoot ability, pulls up with dribbling with his left. Seems to have 0 ability to pull up for a shot driving to his right.

I like his change of pace/stutter step in transition, couple of jab-crosses in there as well. In-out dribble is pretty tight, and has a euro step. Good to see he has lots of options, not just physically dominating smaller guys or something

Finishes off of two feet or one--good sign he could have a solid 2PT% when he goes D1.

Highlight is basically all 3s and layups. Recipe for efficiency at every level.

Like always, the offers speak for themselves. Sign me up.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
3 years of eligibility with us? Sign me up. With 4 scholarships guaranteed open for next year, maybe even 5, this is a huge get. Doesn't "scare" anyone off like Keels or Sallis off either. Best case scenario for the good guys right here.

Reaction Score
3 years of eligibility with us? Sign me up. With 4 scholarships guaranteed open for next year, maybe even 5, this is a huge get. Doesn't "scare" anyone off like Keels or Sallis off either. Best case scenario for the good guys right here.
Believe he will have 2 years after he plays this season at juco, but the rest of your point still stands .

Reaction Score

He'd only have 2 years, correct? Played JuCo last year and will play another year this year. Would have 2 years of eligibility with us starting in 21-22.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The addition of Ellis and Martin could be just what we need to make up for the loss of Bouknight after next season.

Is Bouk going to Illini? Seriously, if he doesn't get stronger physically and work on certain important parts of his game (the little things) he won't be going in the draft as high as so many here are projecting.
I hope he does all the things he needs to do to be a lottery pick because that means huge things for the team.

Reaction Score
He'd only have 2 years, correct? Played JuCo last year and will play another year this year. Would have 2 years of eligibility with us starting in 21-22.

That would make a crazy good and experienced back court for 2021-22, even if Bouknight is gone.

Sr. Cole, Sr. Adams, Jr. Gaffney, Jr. Ellis, Jr. Martin, and hopefully Fr. Sallis or Keels. Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom